Jump to content

Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

How is saying your best player is basically unfit and asking for an explanation political BS?

Ulbrich basically threw Q under the bus that he wasn't  able to play when needed most. 

Because it wasn't meant to be negative...it's clear by the "context" of what was being discussed that he wasn't throwing him under the bus.  He wasn't saying he's lazy, wasn't saying he was out of shape - that's what "context" means.

That's the point.  People are trying to make it out like he was attacking QW when, in fact, it was the opposite and that's clear from the "context" of the full clip.

It is was politicians and the media do - they parse one sentence or word out of a full conversation to attack their opponent and that's what's being done here.

I.e You don't like the Jets, you don't like their DC, he answered a specific question about QW, for which he was complimenting him and used a poor choice of words - but we attack him because of the poor choice of words even though we understand the "context" wasn't meant to attack him.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

At this point, all you should expect from Joe W is to take the most radical position that is pro Jet and spew out whatever he reads from in this case Saleh no matter how stupid the statement was. Sort of like an clever parrot. 

We are 3 games into the season without our starting qb.  We are 1-2 which is exactly where we needed to be at this point.

R-E-L-A-X

You guys are all freaking out over some silly statement at a press conference.  Dont single me out for my takes.  Im at least rational.

Lets see how the next 14 games play out and then we can have some educated conversations about this coaching staff.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

"context"

Agreed. He was clearly not throwing shade (as the kids say it) at Quinnen. He was being complimentary but left himself open to having his comment clipped and "soundbited."

A better choice of words would have been to say that "Quinnen is giving 110.1% on every play and needs a breather now and again. We need him to be at least 109.7% when he is in the game. If we left it up to Q, he would play 104% of the snaps on defense, and even a few snaps on offense, because JD left us with a garbage OL."

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because it wasn't meant to be negative...it's clear by the "context" of what was being discussed that he wasn't throwing him under the bus.  He wasn't saying he's lazy, wasn't saying he was out of shape - that's what "context" means.

That's the point.  People are trying to make it out like he was attacking QW when, in fact, it was the opposite and that's clear from the "context" of the full clip.

It is was politicians and the media do - they parse one sentence or word out of a full conversation to attack their opponent and that's what's being done here.

I.e You don't like the Jets, you don't like their DC, he answered a specific question about QW, for which he was complimenting him and used a poor choice of words - but we attack him because of the poor choice of words even though we understand the "context" wasn't meant to attack him.

Hey, here is an idea. Instead of saying Williams couldn't go in because he was gasping for air or in so many ways unfit to play at that time, how about he says we have faith in the players that were out there to get the job done and we were following our normal rotation. We can look at this further but that is what we are doing. This way not only does he not throw Willaims under the bus be it intentional or not, he is standing up for whoever he subbed in for him. Or is it too much to ask for this guy to think on his feet. I mean I thought of all this while typing on my phone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are 3 games into the season without our starting qb.  We are 1-2 which is exactly where we needed to be at this point.

R-E-L-A-X

You guys are all freaking out over some silly statement at a press conference.  Dont single me out for my takes.  Im at least rational.

Lets see how the next 14 games play out and then we can have some educated conversations about this coaching staff.

Look, now he is parroting Aaron Rogers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

No stuff gets taken out of context because its what Jet fans want to do. 

Stop blaming Jets fans for the communication issues by Saleh and Ulbrich.  If the d wasn't blowing coverage because of communication issues we might have more wins.  

There might actually be a connection between Saleh's inability to communicate with the press and the fan base and his inability to get the Jets D to communicate with each other.

"what we have here is a failure to communicate"

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hey, here is an idea. Instead of saying Williams couldn't go in because he was gasping for air or in so many ways unfit to play at that time, how about he says we have faith in the players that were out there to get the job done and we were following our normal rotation. We can look at this further but that is what we are doing. This way not only does he not throw Willaims under the bus be it intentional or not, he is standing up for whoever he subbed in for him. Or is it too much to ask for this guy to think on his feet. I mean I thought of all this while typing on my phone. 

Sure, I'm not arguing it was a poor choice of words.  It was..He he should be better - part of that job is not to make mistakes like that - he's getting paid millions of dollars - people that make that kind of money should be good at all facets of their jobs.  So you want to say it was dumb.  I won't argue.

None of that changes that the comment was taken out of context.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hey, the guy you are defending said it. When someone says gasping for air the image I get is not standing there breathing heavily,  it is someone who needs oxygen.  

And there is the problem with this whole thing: “the image I get.” If you listened to the pc and the answer Ulbrich gave, and came away from it thinking he was throwing the kid under the bus or was in some way insulting him, that’s a you problem. It doesn’t change the fact that only using “gasping for air” in the headline is trolling and blatantly taking this statement out of context. Here’s an example:

 

New York Times film review: “This movie makes me want to sit in a gas chamber.”

 

Fox Films Marketing dept: “The NY Times calls it ‘a gas’”.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PorP said:

Quantify that please... how and in what way is he a disaster? 

Just that it feels like he's constantly having to have follow-ups/corrections to the thing he said previously.  E.g. Becton's health status (Saleh said something like "it looks like he'll be okay" followed by him being out for the year), the "receipts" fiasco, now this thing with Ulbrich.   I think there are more that I'm forgetting.  But even just these 3 things 4 weeks into the season is not good.

EDIT: I know the Ulbrich thing doesn't quite fit the criteria of "follow-ups/corrections to the thing he said previously" but maybe I have to add "squabbling with the media".  It just feels like this goes on way too much with Saleh.  Meanwhile BB gets laughed at for his comments to the media but I think he handles it far better than Bob.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just that it feels like he's constantly having to have follow-ups/corrections to the thing he said previously.  E.g. Becton's health status (Saleh said something like "it looks like he'll be okay" followed by him being out for the year), the "receipts" fiasco, now this thing with Ulbrich.   I think there are more that I'm forgetting.  But even just these 3 things 4 weeks into the season is not good.  

Discovery Sharks GIF by Shark Week

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, the Claw said:

And there is the problem with this whole thing: “the image I get.” If you listened to the pc and the answer Ulbrich gave, and came away from it thinking he was throwing the kid under the bus or was in some way insulting him, that’s a you problem. It doesn’t change the fact that only using “gasping for air” in the headline is trolling and blatantly taking this statement out of context. Here’s an example:

 

New York Times film review: “This movie makes me want to sit in a gas chamber.”

 

Fox Films Marketing dept: “The NY Times calls it ‘a gas’”.

 

 

Your analogy sucks but that is besides the point. Nobody would ever think someone gasping for air who is pro athlete is a good thing. There is no way to paint this other than Ulbrich said something really stupid about Q and is now paying the price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don’t think Lovie Smith is categorically a “failed coach” in the same ways Judge and Patricia are.

Lovie has proven effective and he can build a competitive team. He just didn’t win it all. That’s okay, few do.

Judge and Patricia accomplished nothing. They outright struggled snd/or failed in every aspect of the HC role.

your right. he wasnt a failed coach. he is more in the Rex category. some pretty good and bad and Avg years. both 500 coaches. well Rex is one game under 500. 

still nobody would want Lovie here if Houston lets him go which they would be stupid if he keeps them winning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't disagree with Saleh here, however, I do think the fans and media can do and say whatever they want… and it’s on the coaches, in particular Saleh, to have a thicker skin.

The fact this team is at week 4 and looks lost and his priority is reacting to this is a major red flag. 

You aren’t getting it done, so take your lumps. You don’t want criticism and absurd scrutiny? Win. Or show something, anything at this point. 

I think the reality is the players are calling bullsh*t and he’s flailing.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Your analogy sucks but that is besides the point. Nobody would ever think someone gasping for air who is pro athlete is a good thing. There is no way to paint this other than Ulbrich said something really stupid about Q and is now paying the price. 

Maybe for someone who is obtuse. 
 

You can be out of breath for more than one reason. You obviously never played competitive sports. 
 

Again, a YOU problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I was not aware that McCarthy would come BUT that's the issue, did Woody really want a top coach? Well, he clearly didn't want to pay for a top coach.  McCarthy is not here and Woody is so my point stands, no top coach will/has come here.  

Woody wasn’t here.  Chris and Macc turned down McCarthy for Gase.  Don’t know who would have been worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Just that it feels like he's constantly having to have follow-ups/corrections to the thing he said previously.  E.g. Becton's health status (Saleh said something like "it looks like he'll be okay" followed by him being out for the year), the "receipts" fiasco, now this thing with Ulbrich.   I think there are more that I'm forgetting.  But even just these 3 things 4 weeks into the season is not good.

EDIT: I know the Ulbrich thing doesn't quite fit the criteria of "follow-ups/corrections to the thing he said previously" but maybe I have to add "squabbling with the media".  It just feels like this goes on way too much with Saleh.  Meanwhile BB gets laughed at for his comments to the media but I think he handles it far better than Bob.

Eh, the stuff with injuries happens. It’s not just Saleh. Teams have a way different agenda than players, when it comes to injuries. HC is usually just caught in the middle. 

I don’t think it’s the same as squabbling with the media, and agree with you on that part.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Can you expand upon why they “went the other way with Gase,” sir? 

Should we care?  McCarthy had a revolt in year 1 with Dallas and has won nothing with loads of talent in what up until this year was a one team division.  Jones is the fu who can’t admit his mistakes and move on 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't disagree with Saleh here, however, I do think the fans and media can do and say whatever they want… and it’s on the coaches, in particular Saleh, to have a thicker skin.

The fact this team is at week 4 and looks list and just priority is reacting to this is a major red flag. 

You aren’t getting it done, so take your lumps. You don’t want criticism and absurd scrutiny? Win. Or show something, anything at this point. 

I think the reality is the players are calling bullsh*t and he’s flailing.

Well said!

 

meanwhile, the Jets and woody posted on social media what color uniforms they’re wearing this week in Pittsburgh. Because THATS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

your right. he wasnt a failed coach. he is more in the Rex category. some pretty good and bad and Avg years. both 500 coaches. well Rex is one game under 500. 

still nobody would want Lovie here if Houston lets him go which they would be stupid if he keeps them winning.

There was a time I would have pounded the table for Lovie Smith. Same as my history insisting we hire Andy Reid. And Kyle Shanahan. 

oh well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BP said:

Well said!

 

meanwhile, the Jets and woody posted on social media what color uniforms they’re wearing this week in Pittsburgh. Because THATS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!!! 

Honestly, this is about as involved in the team as I want Woody. Haha

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Maybe for someone who is obtuse. 
 

You can be out of breath for more than one reason. You obviously never played competitive sports. 
 

Again, a YOU problem.

Basketball, Track, and Boxing. Care to try again. 

Out of breath is not gasping for air. There is a difference. 

Thanks for chiming in Mr. Ubrich

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Honestly, this is about as involved in the team as I want Woody. Haha

Yup.

At the very bottom of the Totem pole of reasons why the Jets stink this year is Woody. There isn't much more I could possibly ask of the Woodmeister right now. Him staying out the football business side of owning the Jets has been his best work as our owner. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Basketball, Track, and Boxing. Care to try again. 

Out of breath is not gasping for air. There is a difference. 

Thanks for chiming in Mr. Ubrich

Then you proved me point.  A YOU problem. If you’ve boxed and played Basketball and not been gasping for air at times, then you haven’t worked hard enough and I feel for your teammates. There’s a reason “leaving it all out on the field” exists as a statement. You want to see this as an attack so it’s an attack. It’s simple. 
 

But carry on, you’re always wrong anyway.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, BP said:

Well said!

 

meanwhile, the Jets and woody posted on social media what color uniforms they’re wearing this week in Pittsburgh. Because THATS REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT!!!! 

Woody is FINALLY doing what the owner of a football team should do. He is in the background being goofy and staying out of the football side of the business. He handed the team to Joe Douglas (Yes, I know Chris hired him) when he came back from his four-year stint overseas playing US Ambassador to the UK. He easily could have easily gone back to being 'meddling Woody' and that would have made this team worse. Even if JD ends up being a colossal failure, I will still praise Woody for allowing a plan to play out without his interference. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Then you proved me point.  A YOU problem. If you’ve boxed and played Basketball and not been gasping for air at times, then you haven’t worked hard enough and I feel for your teammates. There’s a reason “leaving it all out on the field” exists as a statement. You want to see this as an attack so it’s an attack. It’s simple. 
 

But carry on, you’re always wrong anyway.

Look, I am wondering if you played organized sports. If my basketball coach saw someone out of breath during a game, he took them out and benched them and had them running laps the entire practice the next day with the assistant coach while yelling at him the whole time. The boxing matches I competed in were 3 rounds. I trained for a nine round fight so I would always have my wind. The only time it was acceptable to be out of breath was track when you were doing someing like a 4-40 and were running at full speed for like a qrt mile. So you know what, you be out of breath in front of your teammates. I was winded at times but I made sure never to be heaving for air. Leaving it all on the field doesn't  mean you are crawling back to your locker barely able to stand, it means you did everything you were asked to and more. That doesn't  include fainting from exhaustion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't disagree with Saleh here, however, I do think the fans and media can do and say whatever they want… and it’s on the coaches, in particular Saleh, to have a thicker skin.

The fact this team is at week 4 and looks lost and his priority is reacting to this is a major red flag. 

You aren’t getting it done, so take your lumps. You don’t want criticism and absurd scrutiny? Win. Or show something, anything at this point. 

I think the reality is the players are calling bullsh*t and he’s flailing.

And the “criticism” is so mild it should barely register as criticism at all. If he drops the next three games, then he’ll experience criticism. Compare it to the hailstorm of pure mockery Gase endured from the second he was hired, then through his weird press conference, and the jackhammering he took when the team sucked, and Saleh comes off as a true bitch here. Bob better beat the Steelers tomorrow. 

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And the “criticism” is so mild it should barely register as criticism at all. If he drops the next three games, then he’ll experience criticism. Compare it to the hailstorm of pure mockery Gase endured from the second he was hired, then through his weird press conference, and the jackhammering he took when the team sucked, and Saleh comes off as a true bitch here. Bob better beat the Steelers tomorrow. 

Bobby bitch boy. Way better nickname than Benigno’a bullsh*t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...