Jump to content

Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, doitny said:

very few good, experienced coaches are available at any given time. now its only Payton. before him was who?..McCarthy? and where did he go? to one of the best organizations with a QB might i add in the NFL. who is coming here and risk their legacy with a team who right now doesnt have a QB. you think Payton want to take a chance on Zach or a new drafted QB next year and win 4 games.

but there are plenty of failed HC out there with experience. Judge....Patricia.... Lovie Smith? and they might be better than Saleh. but nobody said that when we hired him. i bet this board would have lost their minds if we hired a failed HC with experience over a hot new candidate

And working for woody????   Not an attraction.   

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what exactly?  
The idea that HCs often turn down coaching opportunities is as wrong as it gets.  
I remember the McCarthy won’t work Woody nonsense.  Turned out it was the only job he would take.  

McCarthy wanted $8 mil per and full control. Woody wasn’t giving him either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Their power is out, so it looks like I’m stuck with her and her daughter for at least the weekend. 🙄

3 hours in with no A/C

GG: "Boy, it's getting hot in here. I don't know about you two, but I'm gonna strip down to my bathing suit, if you don't mind."

The Ladies: "That's a good idea, actually."

GG:

giphy.gif

 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re all over the place in this thread. Now you’re doing a Pederson schtick? 😂

I’m too lazy to go back and check, but when Saleh was hired the vast majority of people here were ecstatic over the choice. I’d be willing to guess you were one of them.

I was ambivalent. Again though the trend; another first timer, lower half of salary scale in terms of all 32 coaches. Why is that always the case with the Johnsons? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Name an experienced coach who has come here under Woody???   We suck and it starts from the top.  

I already named McCarthey who said he would come, the Jets were the only team he would play for.  And of course Gase.  That’s two for two for whatever its worth.  Which is almost nothing because a team coming from a long drought, with young talent in the NYC market is hardly getting turned down.  No matter how it doesn’t fit the narrative 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

McCarthy wanted $8 mil per and full control. Woody wasn’t giving him either. 

No he didn’t.  He was coming to work for Mac and no one ever discussed $$.  He announced to all he would take the job and the Jets went the other way with Gase.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I was ambivalent. Again though the trend; another first timer, lower half of salary scale in terms of all 32 coaches. Why is that always the case with the Johnsons? 

Because 1st time HCs are in the bottom half of the leagues pay scale?  
Our last HC wasn’t a 1st timer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

3 hours in with no A/C

GG: "Boy, it's getting hot in here. I don't know about you two, but I'm gonna strip down to my bathing suit, if you don't mind."

The Ladies: "That's a good idea, actually."

GG:

giphy.gif

 

I don’t remember how we got started on that, but I’ll never forget you turning it into comedy gold. 😂😂😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a single instance of something on or off the field that Saleh doesn’t try to gaslight about or spin?

I mean seriously…

Does NJ still have those employees at gas stations who fill up for you?

If Saleh ran the gas station, he would insist the dudes aren’t “gas men” but “petroleum transfer engineers”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I already named McCarthey who said he would come, the Jets were the only team he would play for.  And of course Gase.  That’s two for two for whatever its worth.  Which is almost nothing because a team coming from a long drought, with young talent in the NYC market is hardly getting turned down.  No matter how it doesn’t fit the narrative 

I was not aware that McCarthy would come BUT that's the issue, did Woody really want a top coach? Well, he clearly didn't want to pay for a top coach.  McCarthy is not here and Woody is so my point stands, no top coach will/has come here.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No he didn’t.  He was coming to work for Mac and no one ever discussed $$.  He announced to all he would take the job and the Jets went the other way with Gase.  

Can you expand upon why they “went the other way with Gase,” sir? 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

These guys better start winning games or the train is going to go off the rails fast. 

You know what's going to happen here right ? Saleh will  win just enough games and have just enough built in excuses to retain his job . JD is going to have to make a tough decision because even if this guy starts to win some games with talented players alone he will still get outcoached in the playoffs if this team reaches that level in the coming years. It will be like Mike McCarthy Jr. out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You know what's going to happen here right ? Saleh will  win just enough games and have just enough built in excuses to retain his job . JD is going to have to make a tough decision because even if this guy starts to win some games with talented players alone he will still get outcoached in the playoffs if this team reaches that level in the coming years. It will be like Mike McCarthy Jr. out there.

I think we are safe. I honestly don’t think he can coach well enough to reach the playoffs no matter how much talent he has. So far all we see is a guy who has no clue how to use the guys he has to get the best out of them  or any sort of ability to attack another teams weakness. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to clear something up Mike McCarthy is a terrible HC just plain terrible. The only reason he accomplished anything was because he had the luxury of coaching Aaron Rogers and now a pretty talented Cowboy team. I watched him make some calls in the Cowboys Bengals game that just made no sense at the end and they still won in spite of his stupidity. Last years playoff game where he called a QB draw giving his QB zero room for error should tell you all you need to know.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You know what's going to happen here right ? Saleh will  win just enough games and have just enough built in excuses to retain his job . JD is going to have to make a tough decision because even if this guy starts to win some games with talented players alone he will still get outcoached in the playoffs if this team reaches that level in the coming years. It will be like Mike McCarthy Jr. out there.

I’m not sure that people appreciate how much improvement Zach Wilson will have had to make to get this team to six wins. He’s going to have to be Peak Andy Dalton in order to elevate this crap squad. And, he’s going to have to stay healthy on a gimp leg with castoffs playing OLT. The most likely scenario is that Zach ends up on IR in the near future, the Jets finish 3-14, LaFleur gets fired because of Zach Wilson sucking, and they replace him with Todd Monken, who becomes the de facto HC-in-waiting. They’ll also sign Garoppolo to becomes the QB-in-waiting, and give Saleh one more chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I think you’re confusing “context”, with something being “taken out of context”.

When someone reports a coach saying  a player can’t be put back in “because he’s gasping for air” without including the rest of his sentence “because of how much effort he expended when he was just out there”, that’s not only taking something out of context, that’s him being a di*k.

There are plenty of things to be upset about with this CS, and you listed a few, but this nonsense isn’t one of them.

In critical situations when you need your best players on the field there’s something called a timeout.   Yes Jets fans in close games when your D is gassed on a critical drive teams can and often do call time out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Saleh is correct.  Statement was completely taken out of context here and with the media.  No problem with legitimate criticism, but this is mostly dumb politics BS that it seems we've all become okay with manipulating anything we can find to put a negative spin on it.  

 

How is saying your best player is basically unfit and asking for an explanation political BS?

Ulbrich basically threw Q under the bus that he wasn't  able to play when needed most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JetNation said:

Robert Saleh

Apparently less than thrilled to learn fans and media were critical of his defensive coordinator throwing his best player under the bus, Jets head coach Robert Saleh called it “bush league” to discuss the comments.

Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich responds to a question about whether he will consider more PT for Quinnen Williams. #Jets pic.twitter.com/NdIetAzmeH

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 30, 2022

 

Defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, whose unit has been the worst in the NFL since taking over before last season took a shot at defensive tackle Quinnen Williams while meeting with the media yesterday.  When asked about Williams’ snap count, Ulbrich said “there are these critical moments in games, ‘Why is Quinnen not out there?’ You look to the side and he’s gasping for air.”

The comments obviously got the attention of Williams who took to twitter to re-tweet comments from Saleh earlier this year in which he praised Williams.  “Quinnen is in the best shape of his life”.

Prior to joining the Jets staff, Ulbrich had never held the position of defensive coordinator, sans an interim stint with the Falcons, and his group has been the worst in the NFL since taking the post.  Some would argue not the best time to go after your best player, but perhaps doing so is bush league?  Remember…positive vibes only.

The post Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Serious question.  Is that the verbatim quote?  “ it’s bush league to DISCUSS” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Trotter said:

Let’s say that happens

What exactly is meant by receipts? Will the media members be banned from covering the team?

will the fans who question him as a coach no longer be allowed to be fans?

yes the above is ridiculous but so is him making the statement.

tell me - what is the consequence?

 

At this point, all you should expect from Joe W is to take the most radical position that is pro Jet and spew out whatever he reads from in this case Saleh no matter how stupid the statement was. Sort of like an clever parrot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m no fan of Saleh or his DC, but this is all pretty stupid. You don’t like Saleh and his CS right now, so you’re chomping at the bit to bitch about any perceived missteps they make. Valid or not, who cares… let’s pile on!

A quote taken out of context yesterday becomes a tempest in a teapot here, only to be exacerbated by taking the HCs response to it today out of context also.

You guys are like a bunch of screaming old ladies grabbing your pitchforks and forming a mob…. You’re making a lot out of noise over nothing here. 

Man up, and shut up. 

Man up?

Dude, this is a football message board, not a freaking militia.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JetNation said:

Robert Saleh

Apparently less than thrilled to learn fans and media were critical of his defensive coordinator throwing his best player under the bus, Jets head coach Robert Saleh called it “bush league” to discuss the comments.

Jets DC Jeff Ulbrich responds to a question about whether he will consider more PT for Quinnen Williams. #Jets pic.twitter.com/NdIetAzmeH

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) September 30, 2022

 

Defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich, whose unit has been the worst in the NFL since taking over before last season took a shot at defensive tackle Quinnen Williams while meeting with the media yesterday.  When asked about Williams’ snap count, Ulbrich said “there are these critical moments in games, ‘Why is Quinnen not out there?’ You look to the side and he’s gasping for air.”

The comments obviously got the attention of Williams who took to twitter to re-tweet comments from Saleh earlier this year in which he praised Williams.  “Quinnen is in the best shape of his life”.

Prior to joining the Jets staff, Ulbrich had never held the position of defensive coordinator, sans an interim stint with the Falcons, and his group has been the worst in the NFL since taking the post.  Some would argue not the best time to go after your best player, but perhaps doing so is bush league?  Remember…positive vibes only.

The post Saleh Says it’s “Bush League” to Discuss Ulbrich Comments on Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Ok, as I expected.  Misleading headline. Jetnation, do better than CNN 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Dude.. Saleh needs to quit talking. The NY media critiques everything n spins it but he absolutely has to start winning football games or things will get real bad for Mr. Clean real soon.

I'm actually waiting for them to put a phone on the podium and put it on speaker at Saleh's  next presser like Coslet did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

They take bits and pieces of a full interview and cut them up which takes away context of what was really being said . They spit back the pieces that are more likely to get a rise out of their audience. Listen to the full interview or audio clip , someone had posted it here before. 

Look, this wasn't  a speech he was giving. This was a press conference.  You are asked individual  questions and you answer them. One question is not contextually  linked to the prior ones asked. Each stands on it's  own merits.  If you think this was a gotcha question or if the question wasn't  factually sound, you can say that but to say his answer was taken out of context to me makes no sense. The guy asked why Q was not in the game during important moments and Ulbrich answered this question. There was nothing taken out of context. Same with Saleh. He was asked about Ulbrich's comments and basically punted. I really don't blame Saleh but a better answer would have been we are going to look at the player rotations and see if there needs to be an adjustment but right now I can't  comment on what Ulbrich said. Had he said that he looks like he knows there is an issue but rather not speak on it without knowing more. I actually do this myself when a client asks a question that I don't know the answer to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Saleh is correct.  Statement was completely taken out of context here and with the media.  No problem with legitimate criticism, but this is mostly dumb politics BS that it seems we've all become okay with manipulating anything we can find to put a negative spin on it.  

 

Jetnation didn’t provide accurate quotes.  Nobody wants to be misquoted 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be the first time anyone has mentioned this, but our coaching staff is a bunch of clowns. 

Saleh is all talk, no results. Whitecotton looks like a fool for letting a player get in his face like that. Ulbrich is a tool for making a comment that could easily be taken out of context.

Just wanted to leave this here, because it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, doitny said:

very few good, experienced coaches are available at any given time. now its only Payton. before him was who?..McCarthy? and where did he go? to one of the best organizations with a QB might i add in the NFL. who is coming here and risk their legacy with a team who right now doesnt have a QB. you think Payton want to take a chance on Zach or a new drafted QB next year and win 4 games.

but there are plenty of failed HC out there with experience. Judge....Patricia.... Lovie Smith? and they might be better than Saleh. but nobody said that when we hired him. i bet this board would have lost their minds if we hired a failed HC with experience over a hot new candidate

I don’t think Lovie Smith is categorically a “failed coach” in the same ways Judge and Patricia are.

Lovie has proven effective and he can build a competitive team. He just didn’t win it all. That’s okay, few do.

Judge and Patricia accomplished nothing. They outright struggled snd/or failed in every aspect of the HC role.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a stupid comment, but isn't this what Parcels would have done to motivate a player? Probably not his plan - he was probably just getting tired of the question. This board, however, loves to use any issue to damn a player, coach, or FO person they want. There is a whole thread on whether culture change is bs, but now the staff is losing the locker room (hm - culture much?).

I don't think he is a good DC, but it isn't because his press conferences are bad, or he had a stupid comment. Every coach makes a mistake. BB is the biggest jerk in press conferences - he gets away with it because he wins. If the D was good, nobody would care about the comment. Since the D isn't good, even if he never made the comment, there would still be threads calling for him to be fired.

Worse is that Crimini is using the stupid comment to get clicks; well I won't give them to him. If you think culture is bs, you shouldn't care about the comment. in reality, if it is a real problem, the Jets should deal with it, but I prefer they spend their time trying to fix the D (and O) instead of worrying about a dumbass comment.

That being said, it isn't like QW is lighting up the field when he is in there. That goes for the rest of the DL. There are like 9 or 10 of these players and yet we they get no real pressure. QW is playing for a new contract. The comment was stupid, but there are bigger problems on the D and DL then bad press and hurt feelings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...