Week 6 PFF Grades

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys get way too fired up about PFF.  It is a tool.  It is not the final line to judge a player.  They judge on each play with a +2 to -2 range.  You can have 10 unreal plays, but they aren't going to get you more than 2 points per.  They try to judge on "doing your job" which is  how Hartsock/Mulligan might rate highly despite being JAG level players.  They don't actually know the play calls, so they can certainly screw up their idea of what constitutes the players job.  No reason to get upset over it.  There are reasons to look at when a player looks bad and grades highly and vice versa, but no reason to get all bent out of shape.  

Who's getting bent out of shape. We're just calling it for what it is. Complete garbage. Seems pretty rational and straightforward.

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I listened to a PFF podcast segment on the Jets game today and they were praising Sauce to the high heavens and glossed right over Quinnen.  I guess they don't want to emphasize how ridiculous their rating system is.  Anyone who watched the game could tell you that Quinnen was the best player on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I listened to a PFF podcast segment on the Jets game today and they were praising Sauce to the high heavens and glossed right over Quinnen.  I guess they don't want to emphasize how ridiculous their rating system is.  Anyone who watched the game could tell you that Quinnen was the best player on the field.

I couldn't agree more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's a sh*tty tool for rating players, but it still has value.  I guess I will stop posting here since I am a lot closer to caveman than analytics nerd, but I find it amusing how many people love to wave the banner when it supports their agenda and then seem mortally offended when it doesn't.

I just don’t see the value in it if it’s bad at the thing it is supposedly trying to do. But yes, the confirmation bias/hypocrisy about the grades is amusing.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It was a counter to the wing back on an inside handoff with motion behind it. When’s the last time you saw a team run that kind of play?

Many moons ago, my HS ran the Delaware Wing. So I am quite familiar with the "24 Counter". I just realized I remember the name of the play. I can't remember to take the garbage out on trash days, but this play that I haven't ran in over 40 years, I can remember the name of the play. lol

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys get way too fired up about PFF.  It is a tool.  It is not the final line to judge a player.  They judge on each play with a +2 to -2 range.  You can have 10 unreal plays, but they aren't going to get you more than 2 points per.  They try to judge on "doing your job" which is  how Hartsock/Mulligan might rate highly despite being JAG level players.  They don't actually know the play calls, so they can certainly screw up their idea of what constitutes the players job.  No reason to get upset over it.  There are reasons to look at when a player looks bad and grades highly and vice versa, but no reason to get all bent out of shape.  

Still makes sense.  Any scoring system that takes what obviously was a top player of that game and doesn’t include him in your top 6 players is a failed system.  Isn’t much of a tool IMO

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

This falls-in-line with their mantra that coverage > pass rush.

Which is seemingly why Dallas, the 49ers and Jets are playing great D right now (pass rush defenses) while the Baltimore Ravens and their ridiculously paid secondary have given up the fourth most passing yards and fifth most passing TD's.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/passing/2022/reg/all

It's not just the grades with PFF, their "grand, unified, theoretical conclusions" about football suck.

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

They referred to the Breece Hall counter play as a gimmick play in their podcast, this play has been around for ages. The Packers used that play in the 60's with Taylor and Hornung, The Steelers with Blier and Harris, The Redskins and 49ers. To call it a gimmick play is just flat out stupid. 

orlovsky said they changed it up a little to sell the run play going to the right a little more.  sounds like it worked.

16 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

The day that PFF gives Zach Wilson an 80+ grade...

T0m:

giphy.gif

Only the luddite normies obsess over the “grades.” I spend all my time in their Premium Stats section, breaking down Zach Wilson failures by down, distance, and situation. For a big math and data guy like myself, it’s orgiastic good times. Here’s Zach Wilson, still dead last, in the “performance when pressured” category. @The Crusher

CB3CC27F-9992-4E62-8C13-0CA2FE5A3B74.png

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Only the luddite normies obsess over the “grades.” I spend all my time in their Premium Stats section, breaking down Zach Wilson failures by down, distance, and situation. For a big math and data guy like myself, it’s orgiastic good times. Here’s Zach Wilson, still dead last, in the “performance when pressured” category. 

CB3CC27F-9992-4E62-8C13-0CA2FE5A3B74.png

PFF Premium: $39.99

12-pack of facial tissues from Costco: $19.99

2-pack of 20 oz bottle of Aveeno hand lotion $17.99

2 Stainless steel nipple clamps: $13.99

Confirming the belief that Zach Wilson sucks at football: Priceless

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

PFF Premium: $39.99

12-pack of facial tissues from Costco: $19.99

2-pack of 20 oz bottle of Aveeno hand lotion $17.99

2 Stainless steel nipple clamps: $13.99

Confirming the belief that Zach Wilson sucks at football: Priceless

Raise you hand if you started adding these costs up, only to find out you spent the last few seconds calculating Tom's monthly masterbation expenses. 

Sad GIF

17 hours ago, PS17 said:

I don't think people would feel so passionately about PFF if they weren't the most arrogant assh*le commentators out there. The worst kind of nerds are the confident ones. 

They always speak definitively and in absolutes in a league notorious for it's unpredictability. It's especially bad as they're supposed to be the objective analytical guys yet constantly get emotional about things. Monson and this douchebag are especially trash. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That tweet, and this one…

…are a very bad, look for PFF.  I mean, no one really takes them seriously already, but this is a “Senior Analyst” showing that he, more likely than not, will spin himself into a pretzel to discredit certain player’s performances because he can’t separate his fandom from his work and remain objective.

***Edit***

They gave Skylar Thompson an 89.3 on 24 snaps.  His stat line was 7 of 13 for 89 yards. Zach Sieler graded out at a 90.2…with 3 total tackles (2 solo, 1 assisted) and a FF.  My goodness.  The dude isn’t even a bad player, but if Quinnen’s performance gets what it gets, and Sieler gets a 90.2, your formulas/metrics are not calculating properly.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That tweet, and this one…

…are a very bad, look for PFF.  I mean, no one really takes them seriously already, but this is a “Senior Analyst” showing that he, more likely than not, will spin himself into a pretzel to discredit certain player’s performances because he can’t separate his fandom from his work and remain objective.

***Edit***

They gave Skylar Thompson an 89.3 on 24 snaps.  His stat line was 7 of 13 for 89 yards. Zach Sieler graded out at a 90.2…with 3 total tackles (2 solo, 1 assisted) and a FF.  My goodness.  The dude isn’t even a bad player, but if Quinnen’s performance gets what it gets, and Sieler gets a 90.2, your calculations are not right.

that's pretty funny. obviously biased garbage. PFF should do themselves a favor and move on from this "senior analyst"

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Man, the Jets had only one guy rated above a 76 (Sauce with an 80) and they blew out the Packers on the road. The Dolphins had at least a quarter of their starters grade out better than anyone on the Jets this week and they played at home, surely they must have won by 50??

1CBEC1BA-C53D-4124-8C91-DA57559A5F4F.thumb.jpeg.535d7f3eadccd4b32d581621d8d3972e.jpeg

Huh. Odd.

Just now, jvill 51 said:

Man, the Jets had only one guy rated above a 76 (Sauce with an 80) and they blew out the Packers on the road. The Dolphins had at least a quarter of their starters grade out better than anyone on the Jets this week and they played at home, surely they must have won by 50??

1CBEC1BA-C53D-4124-8C91-DA57559A5F4F.thumb.jpeg.535d7f3eadccd4b32d581621d8d3972e.jpeg

Huh. Odd.

Exactly.  

Look, the Dolphins have good players. That being said, this is egregious, even for PFFs normal standards.  Especially when you have a Senior Analyst, who doesn’t hide the fact that he’s a diehard Dolphins fan, doubling down on the grades.

I love the concept of an objective statistical performance grade.  Particularly by reviewing film and considering situational factors.  But the execution of PFF is a complete failure.  For one thing, how can they really get those grades out same day often within the hour of games ending?  That suggests they aren't really reviewing film at all.  Then there's this.  

I would be supportive if another site cropped up to do this the right way, but until then, this is just Stephen A Smith wrapped in a thin veneer of 'objectivity'.

• Upvote 2