Next years QB options

Mario

Next years QB options   

83 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Joe Douglas to do at QB?

• Sign Jimmy Garrappolo for $25MM
    • Sign Daniel Jones for $20MM
    • Sign Geno Smith for $25MM
    • Trade next two firsts and a third for Aaron Rodgers
    • Sign Andy Dalton for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Sign Jameis Winston for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Sign Cooper Rush for $10MM to compete with Zach
    • Roll with Zach Wilson as unquestioned starter
    • Draft a 1st round QB to compete with Zach
    • Open competition between Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Chris Steveler
    • Sign Minshew for $8MM to compete with Zach
    • Outbid the Ravens for Lamar (blank check)

Lamar > Another high quality vet (No Jimmy G) > Draft one. 

Getting an average veteran QB isn't going to win us the superbowl; it'll make us Indy. We either get a top flight guy who is established (ala Brady, Stafford) or we go back to the draft as those are the best ways to do it. We might suck at drafting QB's, but it's the best way for long term success. 

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Getting an average veteran QB isn't going to win us the superbowl; it'll make us Indy. We either get a top flight guy who is established (ala Brady, Stafford) or we go back to the draft as those are the best ways to do it. We might suck at drafting QB's, but it's the best way for long term success. 

Lamar will prob be franchised twice before he’s ever a candidate for trade 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Jimmy will return to the 9ers, Lamar will return to the Ravens, Daniel Jones will return to the Giants, Aaron Rodgers looks like he can’t wait to retire no thanks, Dalton potentially could return to the Saints, Geno will return to the Seahawks and due to history I can’t see him returning here. The realistic options are Cooper, Minshew, Jameis or a draft pick. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Draft pick and bring in a vet, 3 way QB competition 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lamar will prob be franchised twice before he’s ever a candidate for trade 

I could see the Ravens moving on if they don’t come to an agreement. It will take a godfather offer in terms of draft picks. 

We’ve seen QBs push their way out (Watson). 

1 minute ago, August said:

Jimmy will return to the 9ers, Lamar will return to the Ravens, Daniel Jones will return to the Giants, Aaron Rodgers looks like he can’t wait to retire no thanks, Dalton potentially could return to the Saints, Geno will return to the Seahawks and due to history I can’t see him returning here. The realistic options are Cooper, Minshew, Jameis or a draft pick. 

I think the most realistic guy to leave is Lamar. He’s going to try to get a Mahomes/Josh Allen contract from someone. 

• Upvote 1

I used to brush off the idea of drafting a QB every year, but in all honesty the strategy doesn't seem bad.

It's the most important position in American sports. Keep swinging until you get it right. If Wilson doesn't improve greatly by seasons end then we need to be drafting a QB in the top 3 rounds. 

• Upvote 4

Sign Jimmy Garrappolo for $25MM -- Yes

Sign Daniel Jones for $20MM -- No

Sign Geno Smith for $25MM -- Sure (would be hilarious)

Trade next two firsts and a third for Aaron Rodgers -- No

Sign Andy Dalton for $10MM to compete with Zach -- Yes

Sign Jameis Winston for $10MM to compete with Zach -- Yes

Sign Cooper Rush for $10MM to compete with Zach -- Who? Don't care. Yes

Roll with Zach Wilson as unquestioned starter -- AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - F*ck you, hell no

Draft a 1st round QB to compete with Zach -- Sure - or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever, in addition to vet QB

Open competition between Zach Wilson, Mike White, and Chris Steveler -- Yes, but that's just the beginning.

Sign Minshew for $8MM to compete with Zach -- Yes

Outbid the Ravens for Lamar (blank check) -- Yes

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mario said:

I could see the Ravens moving on if they don’t come to an agreement. It will take a godfather offer in terms of draft picks. 

We’ve seen QBs push their way out (Watson). 

Possibly. I think our best bet is Zach figuring it out and having him develop into a franchise QB. There’s no QB available that’s gonna come in here and win a super bowl 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I SOOOOOOOO don't want to agree with this but.

I agree with this.

• Haha 1

I like the Minshew option. Not sure he would be available although Jets are a good opportunity to compete for starting job. Look you can’t keep drafting high and losing faith in draftee and getting rid of them before they actually had a chance to develop. But there has to be competition not just rolling with the player as the starter no matter what. We’ve seen that for years here. There are holes in Zach’s game and he’s been unable to consistently move the offense. But I wouldn’t get rid of him so fast. 

Assuming Zach Wilson continues on his current trend, then next year's mini-camp/training camp QB roster should look like: Zach Wilson, Mike White, Chris Streveler, Vet QB (Garapolololol, Minshrew, etc.) and draft pick (don't really care which round).

Step 1: Keep the best 3

Step 2: Fire the others into the sun (if the sun isn't an option, skip step 2, and just fleece some other team/s in trade)

Step 3: ???

Step 4:  Super Bowl

Jimmy G has a career completion of over 67% and career passer rating of over 91. He also has a 36-17 record.  There is nothing average about him.  And he has enough legs left he can be the starter for the next 10 years. Plus he'll be half the price of lamar. 

No reason to go back to the draft well that hasn't worked  for us in the last 30 years.

25 minutes ago, PorP said:

Jimmy G has a career completion of over 67% and career passer rating of over 91. He also has a 36-17 record.  There is nothing average about him.  And he has enough legs left he can be the starter for the next 10 years. Plus he'll be half the price of lamar. 

No reason to go back to the draft well that hasn't worked  for us in the last 30 years.

Wait why is SF getting rid of Jimmy G? They look like a legit super bowl contender 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Lamar is going to be franchise tagged. It's a pipe dream 

• Post of the Week 1

My order of preference:

1. Acquire Lamar Jackson (pipe dream option)
  2. Trade for Rodgers + Draft Midround QB
  3. Sign Minshew + Draft Midround QB
  4. Sign Garoppolo + Draft Midround QB
  5. Draft a QB in the 1st
  6. Sign Winston + Draft Midround QB
  7. Sign Geno + Draft Midround QB

None of the other options appeal to me whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My order of preference:

5. Draft a QB in the 1st

Yeah no matter what we need to keep drafting in some regard. Lamar and drafting a QB seem to be the only solutions that could be longterm. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My order of preference:

5. Draft a QB in the 1st

only the bold for me..

in that order, yes Rodgers is older and may only play up to 2 years but he damn... would be a nice run.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Lance is worse than Zach 

I think the same.  Not sure if you were following the 9'ers preseason?  But they were all in on Lance and what prompted the Jimmy trade talks... until Jimmy restructed his contract and Lance went down that is.