JetNation Forums will always be there for you, Twitter may not

Maxman

12 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Honestly I don't GAF about Elon Musk, and I don't understand why anyone would

Vicarious sh*t-talking dreams with a dash of victimhood for sympathy and the hope that if they suck up enough they will be given some money.  Poor people version of Dunning-Kruger.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

21 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Honestly I don't GAF about Elon Musk, and I don't understand why anyone would

People are trying to control narratives and information....it's why government is in contact and threatening all of these social media companies and MSM journos are melting down.  You wouldn't think these sites would have so much power and influence on minds but we are living in really dumb times.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

For those upset that Musk bought Twitter, Isn't Jack Dorsey the fraud in all this? Openly progressive Jack sold the platform  to Musk. He took Musks money despite their conflicting ideology didn't he? Why isn't media taking Dorsey to task???

you got your facts wrong

Dorsey left Twitter as CEO in 2021. He left their board of directors in May 2022. Twitter was sold to Musk in October of 2022. At that point Dorsey was just a shareholder like anyone else

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do people realize that the richest man on the planet can lose $45 billion dollars and STILL be the richest man on the planet?

Do people realize that Elon Musk is having the time of his life owning the fourth most visited site on the planet? This is a pet project that may or may not turn a profit, but based on how much attention he is getting, he is winning this either way. 

I dont believe that a businessman ever wants to lose money. Its a business investment not a charitable endeavor 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

you got your facts wrong

Dorsey left Twitter as CEO in 2021. He left their board of directors in May 2022. Twitter was sold to Musk in October of 2022. At that point Dorsey was just a shareholder like anyone else

Fair point you make. Even more surprising however,  checking further I found that Dorsey could have cashed out his 18,000,000 shares when Musk paid up but surprisingly decided to stay invested with him.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think Twitter will be fine, but Elon isn't off to a good start there.

Granted.....he bought a company that was losing $4m per day, with massive payroll. He's tearing the band aid off. Had to be done (see Amazon, FB, etc layoffs). The public out-cry was inevitable, regardless of who bought Twitter. The previous CEO apologized for growing the company 'too fast' and said these layoffs were imminent even if Twitter didn't sell. Elon's just the bad guy. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Anyone who gets upset by him is a full blown snowflake

Anyone in the world who disagrees with the richest man is a snowflake lol.

I like Musk. Made a nice amount off of DOGE when he was touting it. I would consider myself a Musk fan. But your statement is rough. He fired people with no class, is responsible for an open revolt because he has no compassion. So there are some people that are upset with him.

Doesn't make them a snowflake.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

These are human lives you are dealing with. Laying people off seems like it needed to be done. His leadership has been comical. They are firing people at a pace that is unprecedented. It is back firing. The Twitter Blue rollout was comical. He announced adding the company feature for managing your own org;'s which already existed.

People are questioning him fairly on Twitter, people who work there and they get fired.

Lay people off. Clean up the company. But treat people with respect and compassion. He isn't doing that and is paying the price for it.

So true. Article written by a former SpaceX leader said Elon can be pleasant one minute, then absolutely beyond brutal the next. I'm not sure but I think Elon not wanting to buy Twitter but then forced into it is playing a part in his taking of heads. I read that on the day of the closing, in a Twitter conference room with all the top Twitter execs, as soon as the closing was finished he pointed across the table and said 'you're all fired', and had security walk some of them out on the spot. Wow. Brutal for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do people realize that the richest man on the planet can lose $45 billion dollars and STILL be the richest man on the planet?

Do people realize that Elon Musk is having the time of his life owning the fourth most visited site on the planet? This is a pet project that may or may not turn a profit, but based on how much attention he is getting, he is winning this either way. 

Musk is not laughing right now. He is being laughed at. This is not how he thought it would go at all.

42billion isn't a pet project. He didn't buy MySpace for 70mm and try to turn it around. He bought Twitter.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This Twitter saga is really just the Simpsons episode where the German’s buy the nuclear plant only to sink tons of money into and eventually beg Burns to buy it back from them on the cheap.   I see you, Elon .  Hitting the classics

I like this reference. But I don’t think it applies here. 

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Twitter needs about 150-200 employees to make it work and work well.  That's it.  They had a LOT of dead weight (I know someone who works there... and he's still there).

They had 7,500 employees. You aren't running the security side of the business alone with 150 people.

He laid off half, but that is still a far cry from 150 people.

Hell the ad sales team would probably be bigger than 150 people alone if you want to stop the money loss problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Leave politics out of this. Should be easy to have fun with this thread without letting everyone know that you hate Joe Biden's son. Or that you Think Trump is the devil.

We don't care what you think about politics. 

Twitter going away for good would be a win for all humanity. However it likely doesn’t take 4,000 people or whatever it was to run a giant chat room. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Anyone in the world who disagrees with the richest man is a snowflake lol.

I like Musk. Made a nice amount off of DOGE when he was touting it. I would consider myself a Musk fan. But your statement is rough. He fired people with no class, is responsible for an open revolt because he has no compassion. So there are some people that are upset with him.

Doesn't make them a snowflake.

Nobody is upset with him over firing people, or at least very few people are upset with him over that. Nobody is screaming about Zuckerberg firing a huge amount of his staff. People are upset with him because he has removed the complete and utter bias that was once an integral part of Twitter. At one point, Musk was a hero to most of those same people

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Elon Musk could buy all 32 NFL franchizes plus their stadiums and still have 75% of his cash sitting around. I'm not too worried about him. Heck, I wish he'd buy the Jets. We'd have the most brilliant stadium on the planet built in under 3 months with a StarLink high speed internet access at each seat! He'd fire all the parking lot attendants day one but hey.....

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Musk is not laughing right now. He is being laughed at. This is not how he thought it would go at all.

42billion isn't a pet project. He didn't buy MySpace for 70mm and try to turn it around. He bought Twitter.

I don’t know Max. He does seem to be enjoying himself! 

I think he bought Twitter to employ the existing infrastructure to make it something more than it’s current format. I think his interpretation of free speech differs from the “Beltway” It’s either 100% free or it’s not. 

This could be similar to Bill Gates purchasing and obscure OS to sell in IBM PC’s

Microsoft's big break came in 1980, when IBM Corp. decided to move into personal computers and asked Microsoft to provide the operating system. Gates and company didn't invent the operating system. To meet IBM's needs, they spent $50,000 to buy one known as QDOS from another programmer, Tim Paterson.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

These are human lives you are dealing with. Laying people off seems like it needed to be done. His leadership has been comical. They are firing people at a pace that is unprecedented. It is back firing. The Twitter Blue rollout was comical. He announced adding the company feature for managing your own org;'s which already existed.

People are questioning him fairly on Twitter, people who work there and they get fired.

Lay people off. Clean up the company. But treat people with respect and compassion. He isn't doing that and is paying the price for it.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't disagree one bit about compassion.

That said, Twitter was in bad need of a culture change, and large amounts of the staff who are now gone, were revolting against him before he even took over the company because they knew that it meant that the bias they enjoyed so much was gone. 

There were many attempted revolts inside the company and tried to rally support against Musk. Can't do that in corporate America and expect to get away with it

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don’t know Max. He does seem to be enjoying himself! 

I think he bought Twitter to employ the existing infrastructure to make it something more than it’s current format. I think his interpretation of free speech differs from the “Beltway” It’s either 100% free or it’s not. 

This could be similar to Bill Gates purchasing and obscure OS to sell in IBM PC’s

Microsoft's big break came in 1980, when IBM Corp. decided to move into personal computers and asked Microsoft to provide the operating system. Gates and company didn't invent the operating system. To meet IBM's needs, they spent $50,000 to buy one known as QDOS from another programmer, Tim Paterson.

Why would IBM pay for Windows 95 when they already had DOS ?

36 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I have been following Twitter and Elon is definitely laughing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

They had 7,500 employees. You aren't running the security side of the business alone with 150 people.

He laid off half, but that is still a far cry from 150 people.

Hell the ad sales team would probably be bigger than 150 people alone if you want to stop the money loss problem.

Possible, but with contractors I just don't think that's necessarily the case that you need thousands of people.  Craigslist has ~50 employees and does almost $1 Billion in revenue.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Leave politics out of this. Should be easy to have fun with this thread without letting everyone know that you hate Joe Biden's son. Or that you Think Trump is the devil.

We don't care what you think about politics. 

Impeach Maxman!

Replace him with Phil!

lol

• Haha 2