JetNation Forums will always be there for you, Twitter may not

Maxman

There isn’t a good alternative to what Twitter does which provides space for people to react to news. Mastadon has seen a sharp increase in user profiles. But that app is clunky.

My expectation is  that Twitter will continue to lose users but, until a good alternative is available, it’ll survive. Revenge of the fired employee. Hmm. Part II of the Saga. 

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Me too. Free speech is a terrible thing. 

Free speech is awesome.

But expecting consequence-free free speech on a platform someone else owns is foolish.

Musk totally bungled the whole "pay $8 for a verified checkmark, that really doesn't verify anything". And tons of suckers ponied up before they reversed course. And then overplayed his hand with his employee relations - the folks that stick around are going to be working long hours to cover the mass exodus.

I hope twitter stays around because #jetstwitter is a roller coaster these days.  But like many other social media apps, all it takes is someone to do it better, and they'll go the way of MySpace.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I think Twitter will be fine, but Elon isn't off to a good start there.

It was always going to get worse before it got better.  Think of it as an NFL rebuild.   

For your sake I would love to see it happen as I agree you'll pull a lot of Jets Twitter here - but...

Twitter is a monster and isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

Thing with this is it won’t be evident in the interface. The company is changing, but the impact of that will not be felt in platform until some time goes by product releases occur.

36 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

Elon Musk on his own platform joking that "How do you make a small fortune in social media? Start with a large fortune"... 

MySpace - bought for a bundle, sold for pennies

Tumblr - bought for a bundle, sold for pennies

Twitter - bought for a bundle.....

I don’t think Elon bought Twitter to make money on it 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BeaconJet said:

Free speech is awesome.

But expecting consequence-free free speech on a platform someone else owns is foolish.

Musk totally bungled the whole "pay $8 for a verified checkmark, that really doesn't verify anything". And tons of suckers ponied up before they reversed course. And then overplayed his hand with his employee relations - the folks that stick around are going to be working long hours to cover the mass exodus.

I hope twitter stays around because #jetstwitter is a roller coaster these days.  But like many other social media apps, all it takes is someone to do it better, and they'll go the way of MySpace.

There's a difference between consequence free and equal voice. The consequence should not be disagreeing with the ruling hand and being silenced.

• Upvote 4