Westhoff on Zach and Brees/Marino

Paradis

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would like to dunk all over Zach on this one, but I’ve listened to a bunch of Mike Westhoff interviews over the past few months and in every one he’s litigating some personal slight from some coach or player who didn’t heed his sage advice. You feel a little bad for him because he’s an old man who lived a charmed life, but is now finding out that retirement is a dark and lonely place and nobody really cares that he coached up a bunch of good kick return squads in the 90’s.

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

EXACTLY THIS. END OF THREAD. I knew one day I'd agree with TrollShane.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which is why Westhoff was gonna call Marino.  Not tell Wilson about how to be a successful QB himself.  Wilson clearly wasn't interested.  And it kinda shows in his play.  

This stuff, collectively, matters in this league.

I mean, Zach sucks, we all know that, but we are talking about an anecdote of a 70+ year old man, Westhoff's past successes notwithstanding.

Not even T0m is jumping on this to eviscerate Zach.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Its only 2 minutes long.

Long story short at Practice in the offseason Westhoff was scheduled to do a few interviews during his visit.

For one of them he was with Zach and beforehand they're sitting there and Westhoff tried to strike to some strike up some convo about Dan Marino and pass along some grandfatherly advice to which Westhoff felt Zach was unresponsive and nonattentive.

Then he told Wilson “Hey I know Marino’s phone number, I’ll call him for you right now, he’ll school ya”.

Then in a Mr. T voice Wilson said “Shut up old man”, and slapped Westhoff off the grandstand the two were sitting on.  Westhoff declined medical attention, but once again we now find more Evidence that Wilson truly is the Devil.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I don’t know if this sh*t is floating around in one of the 300 ZW threads, but I do know the appetite remains to lament over the grande canyon gap Wilson has yet to leap in the leadership/awareness dept

No one has accepted Zach has an ego problem that certainly contributed to his benching?

Like what is your point? 

25 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I mean, Zach sucks, we all know that, but we are talking about an anecdote of a 70+ year old man, Westhoff's past successes notwithstanding.

If it was just this one thing, yeah, no big deal.  But its a combination of things that have come to light the last couple weeks to suggest Wilson is missing some things from a personality perspective that are likely hindering him from success.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I don’t know if this sh*t is floating around in one of the 300 ZW threads, but I do know the appetite remains to lament over the grande canyon gap Wilson has yet to leap in the leadership/awareness dept

I'm glad Mike Westoff got to tell his story to the 12 viewers of The Jets group Chat podcast...is this guy really that bored?

42 minutes ago, pointman said:

Westhoff comes off real arrogant. I liked him here but every time he talks after his tenure has been about how amazing he is, according to him. I can see how someone could be turned off to anything he has to say. 

He was one of the best ST coaches in the league. 

• Upvote 3

I would love to dunk all over Zach on this one, but I’ve listened to a bunch of Mike Westhoff interviews over the past few months and in every one he’s litigating some personal slight from some coach or player who didn’t heed his sage advice. You feel a little bad for him because he’s an old man who lived a charmed life, but is now finding out that retirement is a dark and lonely place and nobody really cares that he coached up a bunch of good kick return squads in the 90’s.

Fixed

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Worth remembering that Zach is an ADD kid who rides the Ritalin train. As a fellow ADD weirdo, I cannot imagine the kind of torture it would be to end up sitting next to an old man talking about Dan Marino. I would literally self-injure in an attempt to create a distraction so I could leave the situation. 
Loved Mike W when he was with the JETS ... Because he was good at his job. Since his retirement I have seen him drone on and on in various forums and even bought his book. The guy has an amazing story and has had some torturous battles with cancer .... But man ....

He can sound self aggrandizing and always sound bitter towards anyone that didn't make him a head coach. So basically everyone.

Definitely.not afraid to tell you how important he was/is

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

would it be any different if it was Parcells another 70 plus maybe 80 year old. ? how about Joe Namath? age shouldnt matter a young guy like Zach should be willing to take all advice.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

would it be any different if it was Parcells another 70 plus maybe 80 year old. ? how about Joe Namath? age shouldnt matter a young guy like Zach should be willing to take all advice.
I'd love to know the forum and context. Mike might have been one of 5 voices talking to him.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Westoff’s problem is trying to relate a QB who retired about when Zach was born.   Oh yeah and said QB never won the Super Bowl.   Older people will remember just how good Marino was but it does not resonate with the younger crowd.  

Marino was great and the only reason he never won a SB was because his defense's couldn't stop a nose bleed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I would like to dunk all over Zach on this one, but I’ve listened to a bunch of Mike Westhoff interviews over the past few months and in every one he’s litigating some personal slight from some coach or player who didn’t heed his sage advice. You feel a little bad for him because he’s an old man who lived a charmed life, but is now finding out that retirement is a dark and lonely place and nobody really cares that he coached up a bunch of good kick return squads in the 90’s.

He did a book signing for The Lounge. He was VERY nice. 

52 minutes ago, undertow said:

I'm glad Mike Westoff got to tell his story to the 12 viewers of The Jets group Chat podcast...is this guy really that bored?

1 hour ago, PorP said:

No one has accepted Zach has an ego problem that certainly contributed to his benching?

Like what is your point? 

Fine. I’ll never post another video again unless it’s Breaking news. About the Jets and only featuring Jets. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Worth remembering that Zach is an ADD kid who rides the Ritalin train. As a fellow ADD weirdo, I cannot imagine the kind of torture it would be to end up sitting next to an old man talking about Dan Marino. I would literally self-injure in an attempt to create a distraction so I could leave the situation. 

Concerta veteran here. You’re reaching.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it was just this one thing, yeah, no big deal.  But its a combination of things that have come to light the last couple weeks to suggest Wilson is missing some things from a personality perspective that are likely hindering him from success.

I didn't need this anecdote to tell me that, lol.

31 minutes ago, doitny said:

If I needed advice on applying for Medicare, I'd definitely go to Joe Namath.

• Haha 2