How Is Mike Greenberg Even 'on' ESPN?

SoFlaJets

5 minutes ago, elvispookie said:

This is the type of sh*t that scares me. I said to my wife.. Mike white deserves the rest of the year.. what I am afraid of is if he has a bad or so so week.. will they be quick to pull the trigger and go back to Zach. White has earned the vote to play the rest of the season imho

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't think it's ever gonna end till he's off the team....we will be sitting here 2 years from now and people will still be talking about where Zach was drafted and how high his ceiling is.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

I realize that this might be an unpopular opinion right now, but you can't truly judge Mike White by this one game.  Mike doesn't even have to win against Minnesota or Buffalo; he just needs to continue to look competent like he did today.  

Unfortunately for Zach, he looked so bad last week that it's inconceivable right now that you would even consider putting Zach out there for the foreseeable future.  Mike White would have to "blank the bed" so to speak, to even consider putting Zach back out there.  Let's hope that this is just the beginning for Mike!

Mike White has played 4-5 games and only had 1 bad game. Zach Wilson has played what 20 games and I can't remember 1 really good game. A good game for him is 1/0 for 150 yards and handing the ball off. He is incapable of throwing the ball downfield and moving the sticks. Mike White nearly matched his td total in 1 game. What we saw today was an efficient QB spreading the wealth and taking the easy check downs when no other plays were available. Making the easy look easy as Saleh said. I don't want to hear it was against a bad Bears defense. Does anybody really believe the offense would have looked the same today with Wilson under center? They would have scored 6 points today with Wilson. 

• Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Mike White has played 4-5 games and only had 1 bad game. Zach Wilson has played what 20 games and I can't remember 1 really good game. A good game for him is 1/0 for 150 yards and handing the ball off. He is incapable of throwing the ball downfield and moving the sticks. Mike White nearly matched his td total in 1 game. What we saw today was an efficient QB spreading the wealth and taking the easy check downs when no other plays were available. Making the easy look easy as Saleh said. I don't want to hear it was against a bad Bears defense. Does anybody really believe the offense would have looked the same today with Wilson under center? They would have scored 6 points today with Wilson. 

What's hilarious is I'm seeing some people surprised White kick started the offense and played well or blame it on the Chicago defense.......as If we didn't see this same movie a year ago.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I really don't disagree with you here.  But I want to see it again next week from Mike.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  No one was considering benching Zach when the Jets beat the Bills.  Let's give it another game before we crown Mike White the next coming of Joe Namath.  Still, no one can argue with you that Zach hasn't done anything this year that is remotely close to what Mike White did today, even against a garbage and injury plagued Chicago defense.

19 minutes ago, Alka said:

I really don't disagree with you here.  But I want to see it again next week from Mike.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  No one was considering benching Zach when the Jets beat the Bills.  Let's give it another game before we crown Mike White the next coming of Joe Namath.  Still, no one can argue with you that Zach hasn't done anything this year that is remotely close to what Mike White did today, even against a garbage and injury plagued Chicago defense.

Nobody said Mike White was the reincarnation of Joe Namath but he is hands down better than ZW and runs this offense much much better. Like I said he has had 1 bad game out of 5 and that was against a number 1 defense Buffalo Bills team. I expect him to play well again against Minny. 

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Some people are still behaving like ZW is the annointed #2 pick and future franchise QB who needs to get back on the field and play.....those days should be over and the position should be treated like any other and the best player should play I don't care where anyone was drafted.

EXACTLY Undertow Belichik never cared where a guy was picked if he wasn't perfoming that guy was cut

• Upvote 1

unfortunately, Greeny wont be the only one saying this. i dont know what it is with tv or radio guys to where they dont want to call a kid a bust this early.

Zach is just as bad as Jamucus Russell, worst then Sanchez, Geno and Darnold, having the worst 2nd year of any 1st rd pick this last decade, what more do we need to see to call him a bust? 

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Nobody said Mike White was the reincarnation of Joe Namath but he is hands down better than ZW and runs this offense much much better. Like I said he has had 1 bad game out of 5 and that was against a number 1 defense Buffalo Bills team. I expect him to play well again against Minny. 

Everyone wants the next Mahomes or Allen and the Jet fan who hasn't had that guy for 50 years isn't giving up on the dream the Zach turns into that QB...personally I think there's a much better chance that White turns into the next Jimmy G or Cousins but that's not sexy enough for some people.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

unfortunately, Greeny wont be the only one saying this. i dont know what it is with tv or radio guys to where they dont want to call a kid a bust this early.

Zach is just as bad as Jamucus Russell, worst then Sanchez, Geno and Darnold, having the worst 2nd year of any 1st rd pick this last decade, what more do we need to see to call him a bust? 

He's another NY Jet 2nd overall pick bust just like Johnny Lam Jones and Blair Thomas. I guess it's just hard for some people to admit he's a bust because of his draft status. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, doitny said:

I mentioned this earlier. I was listening to ESPN radio after the game. Both of their host were saying the same thing. Calling the benching of Zach a mistake (after they saw what Mike White did).

I don’t understand. Mike White not only played well, but also didn't look limited as a QB. He can make every throw on the field. He throws the ball with good velocity and is accurate. Guys were catching his ball in the rain which speaks volume to how catchable his ball is for receivers.

He should get the rest of the season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

You make it sound like there are a bunch of ZW supporters who think he should be starting, and aren't saying anything because of the way MW played.

I think the "ZW supporters" are more likely reasonable jets fans who just think that the second overall pick with the high end natural ability is more likely to be the long term answer at QB....than a guy who couldn't start over Joe Flacco.

I would also guess that ALL of them are now are willing to roll with Mike White to see where we go from here.

???

7 hours ago, Trotter said:

Many here like him - I have called him a fraud for years and took some crap for it

i stick by my opinion - he is a fraud

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s easier to understand Greenberg if you remember that he’s doing sports talk for Ted in the office who doesn’t really follow sports but still wants to be able to superficially talk about them in the lunch room

here's my take as a 50'ish male that has followed played and followed sports his entire life.

you had.

kids that played sports and were good.  but they weren't good at details talking about it or really cared. they just liked playing it.  then you had kids that weren't good at playing sports but played them and loved talking about it.  then you kids that didn't play sports and didn't like talking about them.  but this group went to college and got a degree in communications and get jobs in and around cameras talking about sports.   (this is greenies group imo)

up until recently the sports media has been largely based by people that were not sports people.  you know, journalism or communications grads   many of these people sucked at playing sports as a kid and many never talked or cared about sports.   without even googling greenberg, i believe he falls into this camp.  he simply took his degree in tv journalism or like skill and applied to to sports.

he's never been informative or riveting in anyway.   he also has shied away from any constructive criticism showing any a passion that a person has that follows sports.    i remember seeing him play in celeb softball game many years ago.  the dude couldn't even swing a bat.   this guy doesn't have much charisma or anything.  when olbermann was doing sports he enjoyed it and made it fun.   when greenie talks sports it's  a job.  thing is he's been doing it a long time and has gotten better, but he's still 100% full of sh*t and not really a good sports mind.

10 hours ago, undertow said:

I don't think it's ever gonna end till he's off the team....we will be sitting here 2 years from now and people will still be talking about where Zach was drafted and how high his ceiling is.

The talk will die down if Zach is out of the spotlight and Mr White plays well. He sh*ts the bed next week and the week after ... totally different story.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yep, we'll likely hear Fidelio this week say "well, great win vs. a really bad team, but Zach was 5-2 and anything less from White will be a huge massive disappointment".  Some guys are just too invested in Zach to let go, and they'll forget Zach played (for example) against Pickett, the only QB this year worse than Wilson himself. 

Ultimately, it's on White to lay several quality starts on top of each other, to silence the "but, but, but elite upside potential, elite arm talent!" guys who judge by dreams, and not stats.  

I'm on the Mike White train - and expect this team to be at least 4-2 down the stretch.

Not sure why that's controversial.  Expecting the team to win should be a good thing.  

I would think those of you expecting less is a far bigger sign of not trusting Mike White.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but i think Saleh said words to the effect that Zach would return this year as starter (before today). It’s difficult to fathom it happening, but i do believe it was the intention before today. 

Doubt it. From what I’ve heard Wilson has been acting like a jerk to the coaches and other players and him not even dressing yesterday is a dead giveaway something like that is going on.

Wilson’s poor attitude in addition to his already poor play made it very easy for Saleh to banish him to the phantom zone

You asked how greeney is on espn. Listen to him. Fact is he's an excellent overall host. Also a fact is he's an ill informed Jets fan, the type that comes off as someone who loosely follows the team and doesn't have a finger on the pulse like many fans on this board.

Most of us track every snap in training camp, you think greeney does that?

22 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You asked how greeney is on espn. Listen to him. Fact is he's an excellent overall host. Also a fact is he's an ill informed Jets fan, the type that comes off as someone who loosely follows the team and doesn't have a finger on the pulse like many fans on this board.

Most of us track every snap in training camp, you think greeney does that?

Greenberg is a vanilla bland host who hedges every opinion.  This “let’s see if they don’t go back to the bust malcontent Wilson in 2 weeks” is classic Greenberg hedging

He’s a really boring broadcaster who owes his success to Stern leaving terrestrial in 2006 and all his male listeners in NY needing a new drive time show

10 hours ago, Jets Things said:

The moment Greenberg put on the Pats Brady jersey years ago I knew he was a charlatan. Still is. Suck a fart out if my a-hole, loser. 

That was the thing that stood out in my mind too when someone asked "what happened to this guy?" that was The Fonz jumping over the shark on Happy Days (in case you youngsters ever wondered where that expression comes from)

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

Doubt it. From what I’ve heard Wilson has been acting like a jerk to the coaches and other players and him not even dressing yesterday is a dead giveaway something like that is going on.

Wilson’s poor attitude in addition to his already poor play made it very easy for Saleh to banish him to the phantom zone

His not dressing is because the #'s 3 and 4 aren't suiting up

BTW they will be talking Jets next on Get Up!