Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike White become the franchise QB of the NY Jets?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/07/2022 at 12:00 AM

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

People are crapping on MW, despite him leading the team to 6 scoring drives yesterday.  

Nobody is crapping on White. Just think Jones on this team would be an upgrade. 
Out of the six scoring drives how many TDs were produced? 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, WhartonJet said:

Are you nuts?  You weren't crapping on Mike White when you said he is on pace for 100 interceptions in 50 games?  Stop.  Go back to staring at the picture of Daniel Jones on your wall

Using math to show his pace for turnovers = crapping in him how? Did I share an opinion? 

From Jetsxfactor.com…

In 3 of his 4 career starts he has finished, White has led the Jets to over 460 yards.

The same number that the Jets other QBs have collectively achieved over the past 7 years.  No one else did so more than once.

What?!?!?!?!

When Mike White balls out on the road against Buffalo in three & a half short days from now, I hope to see the Mike White is our QB of the future at around 70% and then at the end of the year at 90% with only a few stubborn fans wanting the grass is greener or holding out for Wilson because he has a STRONGER arm.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean those are facts, not even debatable observations.

Honestly,  I think it's absurd to want Danny Dimes to be the next QB -  But Mike White has thrown a lot of INT's in his short 5 game career -

I actually think he'll clean that up - his INT's are one of the least of my concerns with him.  But it is legitimate to bring it up - I don't think it's "sh*tting" on him to point it out.

I agree, bringing up his 10 picks is fair game.  I'm also not concerned about them long term because of the situational football that led to them.  It is him saying that White will have 100 picks once he plays 50 games like his golden boy Daniel Jones which is sh*tting on Mike White.  Not sure how that is even debatable.

I think it is doubtful that White will becomd the franchise QB.  And that is ok.  I think he has shown enough that we don't need to go out and find that experienced vet to add to the QB room.  Jimmy G, Geno, Brissett, Teddy B -- I think White can be as productive as any of those guys.

He can be our caretaker for the position until we find that franchise guy.  Kind of like Alex Smith was for the Chiefs until they got Mahomes.  And if given the chance, he ultimately proves to be more, that will be a great bonus.

Hopefully we can keep White next year.  Wilson will be part of the mix.  And add a day 2 guy with upside (Levis/Hooker/Richardson) that you can try to develop slowly without the pressure to play immediately.  At least White gives us a baseline of competent QB play, which we have not had in years/decades.  And if he proves to be more, then we are in great shape.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

From Jetsxfactor.com…

In 3 of his 4 career starts he has finished, White has led the Jets to over 460 yards.

The same number that the Jets other QBs have collectively achieved over the past 7 years.  No one else did so more than once.

What?!?!?!?!

When Mike White balls out on the road against Buffalo in three & a half short days from now, I hope to see the Mike White is our QB of the future at around 70% and then at the end of the year at 90% with only a few stubborn fans wanting the grass is greener or holding out for Wilson because he has a STRONGER arm.

I don’t see anyone here clamoring for Wilson. Is white better than the trash heap of qbs from the last 7 years? Probably. Does that mean he should be the starter next year? No 

23 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Mike White has shown more in 4 starts than Daniel Jones has in his career.  White has shown the ability to consistently move the ball on offense, keep the chains moving, complete a high percentage of passes, and ACTUALLY score points.  It would be criminal to not give him a chance to develop with a full offseason as the unquestioned starter to bring in Daniel Jones.  The team loves him for a reason.  They see what kind of QB he already is and what he could become.  

None of this is true with Daniel Jones.  You know what he is and its not a Superbowl QB

32 NFL GMs would take Jones over white. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

1. The comeback was a team effort - The D made stops, Garret Wilson made big plays, Mike White made clutch throws (just not in the red zone).

2. Agreed

3. Please

4. Yes, it should have been, and for QBs who are destined for greatness, Berrios catches that ball, but he didn't. "What ifs" do not make a franchise QB.

Let's slow our roll and let this play out. Maybe Mike White is the guy, maybe he is not. There are not enough games yet to know one way or the other. Although finding a way to win against the Vikings would have been a big chip on the "is" side of the ledger.

3. It was clutch because he felt a soft spot and kept his legs churning while others pushed him forward.  

I was responding to your assessment White failed the test because the Jets didn’t win.  It was a team effort why THEY didn’t win and those with years more experience were a HUGE part of it.

Im sure there are plenty of examples with first year starting QBs who became franchise QBs who didn’t win these types of games.

Look at the tape, which WRs were open in the end zone..  Look at the play calls..

Lastly, I’m not defining the OP poll as White needs to be great.  I mean what’s your plan to get a GREAT QB in the off-season and how long are you willing to wait (draft) or how much are you willing to give up (trade or FA).

Jets are built to win now and I believe Mike White can take them far with another stud WR, AVT, Breece Hall, upgrade at FS and some improvements on the OLine.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree.  Making a decision now would be asinine.  I give JD much more credit than that.

"Deciding" before one even sees what the market is is just laughably stupid.

MW is on a trial run, that's all this is (well, apart from us trying to make the playoffs).

JD and Saleh will not decide anything till that is over, the offseason is here, and the market starts to become clear on who and what is available and at what cost.

Absolutely.  Pretty sure I know what you'll be speculating, lol.

Yeah, I think we actually agree - not really sure where we differ.

JD and Co. will use these 7 games to make a judgement on Mike White and they shouldn't make their thoughts public in any way.

When the offseason comes they'll make a decision on if they believe Mike White can be the franchise QB of the NY Jets.  If they believe he can - then - negotiations will begin, with him and others.  

If they don't - he will probably end up walking (but again, they won't make that public).

I honestly don't see a scenario where Mike White is back as the #2 here.  I think Zach probably has a lock on the #2 (unless someone forks over a 1st or 2nd for him - which is highly unlikely)  #1 will be Mike White or a big ticket kinda guy.

They will be watching these games though and while watching will start to form an opinion.  

Are you suggesting JD will block out any thought of Mike White's performance until after the season? He won't make any decisions until the season is over - but, IMO, he's surely going to be watching very closely every week and his opinion will start to solidify in each passing week.  

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't agree.  Making a decision now would be asinine.  I give JD much more credit than that.

"Deciding" before one even sees what the market is is just laughably stupid.

MW is on a trial run, that's all this is (well, apart from us trying to make the playoffs).

JD and Saleh will not decide anything till that is over, the offseason is here, and the market starts to become clear on who and what is available and at what cost.

Absolutely.  Pretty sure I know what you'll be speculating, lol.

I think he's doing the right thing, too.

If White continues as he's been these two weeks, yeah sure it's an easy call: what matters is finding your FQB rather than how you found him.

QB investments are too great, especially when this one necessarily buries his prior one. I think he's got to trade Wilson - whatever he can get - if they make a serious extension offer to White. Too much $ and trade value to park him as a developmental QB2 for 2 years, and while I'm so far a White believer, a GM has to tap the brakes and see it's been two games. Fans can be badly dead-wrong on a message board and then eat some crow & shrug it off & move on to the next topic the next day. A GM's responsibility for such a belief (or disbelief) is much greater. If he gets in way too deep on a multi-year QB guarantee has just shaped his team no matter how it turns out. Tannenbaum destroyed his GM career with a premature Sanchez extension (he had other misfires, but even he admits that was the one that really got him canned & made his tenure as GM non-recoverable).

JD's worst-case scenario for waiting is paying a little bit more for the same person but still keeps his job. His worst-case scenario getting in too early is he gets fired.

So yeah, I can sympathize with him waiting a little longer here. We can be wrong about it; he can't.

• Upvote 2

Is there any realistic chance that the Giants let Jones go.  Had some serious issues with turnovers early in his career, seems to have cleaned that up this year.  He is proving to be a solid, if not spectacular QB.  Giants are winning.  They are projected to be top 5 in cap space next year.  If they are not prepared to offer him the long term, big money extension they can franchise him for another year. 

I am not sure what is being reported in the NY press about Jones and the Giants, but it seems unlikely to me that he will hit UFA.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't even understand how this is a question.  What would the alternative be?!  To not evaluate him based on how he plays?!  

No, then why are you arguing with me?

I think the question arose on a thread that asked if Mike White is this franchise guy and to make a call now.   I didn't start it, nor did I agree with making that decision.

But, for some reason, you continued to tell me we can't judge him yet - even though I never said I wanted to.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, then why are you arguing with me?

I think the question arose on a thread that asked if Mike White is this franchise guy and to make a call now.   I didn't start it, nor did I agree with making that decision.

But, for some reason, you continued to tell me we can't judge him yet - even though I never said I wanted to.

I blame the defense.  ThEy wErEn'T pErFeCt yEsTeRdAy.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he's doing the right thing, too.

If White continues as he's been these two weeks, yeah sure it's an easy call: what matters is finding your FQB rather than how you found him.

QB investments are too great, especially when this one necessarily buries his prior one. I think he's got to trade Wilson - whatever he can get - if they make a serious extension offer to White. Too much $ and trade value to park him as a developmental QB2 for 2 years, and while I'm so far a White believer, a GM has to tap the brakes and see it's been two games. Fans can be badly dead-wrong on a message board and then eat some crow & shrug it off & move on to the next topic the next day. A GM's responsibility for such a belief (or disbelief) is much greater. If he gets in way too deep on a multi-year QB guarantee has just shaped his team no matter how it turns out. Tannenbaum destroyed his GM career with a premature Sanchez extension (he had other misfires, but even he admits that was the one that really got him canned & made his tenure as GM non-recoverable).

JD's worst-case scenario for waiting is paying a little bit more for the same person but still keeps his job. His worst-case scenario getting in too early is he gets fired.

So yeah, I can sympathize with him waiting a little longer here. We can be wrong about it; he can't.

Ideally, you keep Zach (he's pretty cheap in 2023) to hope he is the miracle who "gets it" while he's till cheap.  

But realistically, if the plan is to start anyone in 2023 not named Zach Wilson, I agree, he probably needs to be moved to facilitate that and keep the locker room stable.

You're 100% right, the Org. needs to take this a week at a time, and be patient.  JD will be under some pressure for 2023 to get the QB position right, and to do that he needs all the info, what is Zach's state, what is White's test run look like, who is on the market, at what cost, and at what risk. 

He can't dawdle forever of course (as you note, time = cost in some scenarios), the league moves fast, but today, Dec. 5th, no one is making any long term decisions.  It's all still info gathering mode.  It'll be the offseason before anything really happens, rightfully so.

I'm with you so far on White.  I like what I see, but it's very early still.  And his penchant for turnovers is concerning, even if neither was really fatal Sunday (the first being more on Davis, who was clearly interfered with in a no-call, the last being a desperation throw).  I really do wish Berrios had made that catch, it was entirely catchable, and would have changed the vibe completely.  We shoulda won vs. a 9-2 team, and we lost, and so White will have to own that.  Even if it was (IMO) far more on Berrios than on White.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't see a scenario where Mike White is back as the #2 here.  I think Zach probably has a lock on the #2 (unless someone forks over a 1st or 2nd for him - which is highly unlikely)  #1 will be Mike White or a big ticket kinda guy.

Will all depend on JD's view of Zach (1st) and the market interest in Mike White (2nd).

There is a scenario where White plays well enough, but not enough to garner starting QB money/interest around the league.  In that case, he could be resigned here as a backup.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting JD will block out any thought of Mike White's performance until after the season?

Not at all, evaluation is a week by week, play by play job. 

JD and the Front Office staff (more than Saleh IMO, who has more immediate gameday tasks/concerns) will be evaluating all along the way thru the rest of the season.  Not just White, but everyone.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Ideally, you keep Zach (he's pretty cheap in 2023) to hope he is the miracle who "gets it" while he's till cheap.  

But realistically, if the plan is to start anyone in 2023 not named Zach Wilson, I agree, he probably needs to be moved to facilitate that and keep the locker room stable.

You're 100% right, the Org. needs to take this a week at a time, and be patient.  JD will be under some pressure for 2023 to get the QB position right, and to do that he needs all the info, what is Zach's state, what is White's test run look like, who is on the market, at what cost, and at what risk. 

He can't dawdle forever of course (as you note, time = cost in some scenarios), the league moves fast, but today, Dec. 5th, no one is making any long term decisions.  It's all still info gathering mode.  It'll be the offseason before anything really happens, rightfully so.

I'm with you so far on White.  I like what I see, but it's very early still.  And his penchant for turnovers is concerning, even if neither was really fatal Sunday (the first being more on Davis, the last being a desperation throw).  I really do wish Berrios had made that catch, it was entirely catchable, and would have changed the vibe completely.  We shoulda won vs. a 9-2 team, and we lost, and so White will have to own that.  Even if it was (IMO) far more on Berrios than on White.

I think that's a tough setting for Wilson, but in truth it's the situation White was in behind him. Basically, waiting for an injury or horrible QB play from the starter. And since Wilson would have been benched once (once officially; twice really) it's not the same situation as Rivers/Brees. Much tougher emotionally on Wilson than it was for Rivers. He's human, too.

Also it depends what the team could get for Wilson, tbh. If it's a high 2nd, I can't see them passing on it (if they believe in MW themselves). Thing is, they don't have to find that out until after the season's over, and even if they found out now they couldn't do anything about it anyhow & the other interested party could pull back on as high of a tentative offer once MW is locked up. If it's just a mid 3rd or later, then yeah just hold onto him & let that play out. 

For White, though? As I was alluding to earlier: JD can lose his job by extending MW too early; he won't if he extends him too late, as long as he does extend him, and it merely costs millions more.

• Upvote 2

Remember when Jacksonville gave Nick Foles $88 million for 4 years in 2019 1 season removed from his SB victory with the Eagles? Just sayn' Mike White really hasn't done anything yet and sometimes players - even one's who win SB's -  are not as magical as they may seem. I'll leave this one to the evaluators on the Jets. In the meantime, let's just pump the brakes on anointing Mike White as the FQB.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that's a tough setting for Wilson, but in truth it's the situation White was in behind him. Basically, waiting for an injury or horrible QB play from the starter. And since Wilson would have been benched once (once officially; twice really) it's not the same situation as Rivers/Brees. Much tougher emotionally on Wilson than it was for Rivers. He's human, too.

Also it depends what the team could get for Wilson, tbh. If it's a high 2nd, I can't see them passing on it (if they believe in MW themselves). Thing is, they don't have to find that out until after the season's over, and even if they found out now they couldn't do anything about it anyhow & the other interested party could pull back on as high of a tentative offer once MW is locked up. If it's just a mid 3rd or later, then yeah just hold onto him & let that play out. 

For White, though? As I was alluding to earlier: JD can lose his job by extending MW too early; he won't if he extends him too late, as long as he does extend him, and it merely costs millions more.

This idea that there are teams waiting to give fat stacks to Mike White seems overstated if not outlandish.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is a scenario where White plays well enough, but not enough to garner starting QB money/interest around the league.  In that case, he could be resigned here as a backup.

Surely this is possible...

But bringing Mike White back as the #2, IMO, would mean they've completely given up on Zach or managed to trade him.  Basically planning, barring injury, for him to be permanently inactive.  I can see a ZW trade, can't see him on the roster and not at least being the back up.

But I've been wrong before!

After much deliberation, I'm going to go against my beaver instincts and take the contrarian route, and say "yes".

The question largely depends, though, on your own definition of "franchise QB". Do I think Mike White is our "Patrick Mahomes" or "Josh Allen" that can take over a game and win it solely on his back? Probably not, although I do feel much better about him in this regard than I did last year and through preseason.

What I thought really held him back last year was arm talent, particularly on those intermediate to long throws, but, at least to my eye, he's made discernible improvement this season; he's made some throws this year that I didn't think he could just this summer.

Obviously, the other thing holding him back from those two aforementioned franchise QBs is his mobility and build, and I don't see that changing (although that never was a problem for Tom Brady, but he's an outlier, for more than one reason).

Now, do I think we can win games with Mike White, and perhaps even go to the Super Bowl? Yes, I do. Especially with the way this defense is playing. If we had the Mike White of today in 2009-2010, I think we likely have two Super Bowl appearances, and one win. Does that constitute a "franchise QB"? Well, if Sanchez had won a Super Bowl, there would've been scores of fans labeling him a franchise guy -- more so than there already were for him just being a back-to-back AFCCG participant.

But, with all that said, ask me again next week after the Buffalo game, lol.

EDIT: So more people voted "yes" than "no". That actually surprises me.

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I don’t see anyone here clamoring for Wilson. Is white better than the trash heap of qbs from the last 7 years? Probably. Does that mean he should be the starter next year? No 

Better— 3 of 4 complete games at 460 yards plus operating this offense?  Those are tremendous  offensive statistics!

To be fair, we have to see him against better defenses and the Jets must do much better in the red zone.

Out of curiosity, who is your starter next year?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think it is doubtful that White will becomd the franchise QB.  And that is ok.  I think he has shown enough that we don't need to go out and find that experienced vet to add to the QB room.  Jimmy G, Geno, Brissett, Teddy B -- I think White can be as productive as any of those guys.

He can be our caretaker for the position until we find that franchise guy.  Kind of like Alex Smith was for the Chiefs until they got Mahomes.  And if given the chance, he ultimately proves to be more, that will be a great bonus.

Hopefully we can keep White next year.  Wilson will be part of the mix.  And add a day 2 guy with upside (Levis/Hooker/Richardson) that you can try to develop slowly without the pressure to play immediately.  At least White gives us a baseline of competent QB play, which we have not had in years/decades.  And if he proves to be more, then we are in great shape.

Not sure I agree with entering 23 unsure of the starter 

4 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I refrained from answering because we need the rest of season to "see what we have in Mike White."

Zach apologists should completely agree with this statement. 

Zach fans have their minds made up that white isn't the guy but need to see more from Zach who has played significantly worse over a larger sample size.

Makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Better— 3 of 4 complete games at 460 yards plus operating this offense?  Those are tremendous  offensive statistics!

To be fair, we have to see him against better defenses and the Jets must do much better in the red zone.

Out of curiosity, who is your starter next year?

Oh I’ve said a few times in this thread, but I’d be all about Daniel Jones next year if he breaks free 

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Not sure I agree with entering 23 unsure of the starter 

In the scenario I laid out, it is probably White.  Based on what I have seen of Zach, I think it is a longshot that he would win the job in camp, but if he does, fine.  Franchise QBs don't just grow on trees.  We are likely to be picking late teens or hopefully 20s.  I don't think the answer is in the draft.  If White plays like he did the last two weeks, I am okay with him entering camp as the presumed starter, but I want the best guy to play.  If someone else beats him out fine.

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is false. 

Jones is faster, better arm. Who is he throwing to? Jones would kill it with our offense.
Statues like white are a dying breed. White was available for a 5th round pick last summer, no takers. 

credibility test.  Does Jones go with no suitors in the same circumstance?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This idea that there are teams waiting to give fat stacks to Mike White seems overstated if not outlandish.

If he becomes available, someone's going to be willing to give Mike White more than $12MM/year, yes.

If he has a good final month to the season, not only will that list grow, but so will the amount they're willing to pay to him.

This Jets team with an anemic offense was a late dropped pass away from being this QB change away from averaging 30ppg (itself skewed down because, with a 3-TD lead, the team was just running out the clock in the 4th quarter vs Chicago).

There'd surely be teams interested, and anyway it only takes one (other than the Jets). There doesn't need to be a line of 10 teams. There wasn't a line of 10 teams looking into post-Colts Peyton Manning or post-Patriots Brady either.

I'm not pushing for JD to lock him in at $30MM+ per year after 2 starts this year. If he throws for another 1500 yards in the last 5 games (added to the 700 over the first 2) then yeah at 28 he's going to get offers to be some team's multi-year starter at a good amount more than $12MM/yr.

• Upvote 2