Max Mitchell OUT For year "N.F.I."

SoFlaJets

5 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Sounds like a substance abuse type of thing to me...what do you guys think? Michael Carter is back full

If it's classified as a N.F.I. then that's not substance abuse and I doubt the team would be hiding a substance abuse problem because that would be a massive, massive punishment for what reward? 

• Upvote 2

Part of me is somewhat happy to hear this as it explains his bad performance. I don't feel he is a trouble/behavioral problem type of player so he may have legitimately hurt himself outside of football which he will learn from. He was great the week prior and I have every expectation he is the presumed RT starter next year.

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

If it's classified as a N.F.I. then that's not substance abuse and I doubt the team would be hiding a substance abuse problem because that would be a massive, massive punishment for what reward? 

yea I shouldn't have written that-without knowing anything-if anyone gets an inside on it please let the board know-thanks Jeremy

• Upvote 1

Jets placed OT Max Mitchell on the non-football injury list. 

Mitchell's 2022 season is over. Jets head coach Robert Saleh would not elaborate on how Mitchell, a rookie out of Louisiana, landed on the NFI list. Mitchell had been on injured reserve with a knee injury he suffered in early October. Mitchell's absence will be a blow to the team's offensive line depth. 

Dec 7, 2022, 11:47 AM ET
  •  

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I thought there was a noticeable upgrade at RT when Fant came in Sunday (ridiculous block in the back aside). I noted this in the game thread in case you think I'm just changing my tone because of the news.

I hope everything is OK w/Mitchell. He had a good rookie season for a guy no one expected to see starting at RT in 2022. It was clear he was a overmatched after a while though. Hopefully he comes back stronger in 2023.

This. 

I mean, look, I was rooting for the guy and I still think he might be the future at RT. I have no idea what this is all about and the new is stunning frankly. But Fant is a better player RIGHT NOW. Both as a RT and LT. He just is. 

The block in the back was Fant's fault but he was set up poorly by the WR (it had to be Wilson or Berrios) who was supposed to go inside on a screen but took the play outside instead. 

• Upvote 2

He had a dislocated knee in early Oct., returned after 1.5 months to play in late November and his play quality was slipping and unlike the beginning of the year. 

I say he may have overdone it with painkillers, leading to the NFI. Hope I’m wrong, but would make sense if not football-related 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Hope everything is ok with Mitchell.  That said, I never understood the fascination with this guy and folks penciling him in as our starting RT in 2023.  He looked very pedestrian to me every time he played.  

Not sure what's going on with Max, but hope he's ok... As far as pedestrian, I think that's an understatement. Was he starting material, no not yet, but if this kid takes his position on this team seriously, gets in the gym and puts on muscle and weight, than he has a chance to be the starting RT going forward. He showed enough to make himself part of that conversation. Was he great, by no means, but he wasn't horrible either. He was a pleasant surprise.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

Not sure what's going on with Max, but hope he's ok... As far as pedestrian, I think that's an understatement. Was he starting material, no not yet, but if this kid takes his position on this team seriously, gets in the gym and puts on muscle and weight, than he has a chance to be the starting RT going forward. He showed enough to make himself part of that conversation. Was he great, by no means, but he wasn't horrible either. He was a pleasant surprise.

This team needs elite offensive line play to be competitive.  We need to aim higher than "not horrible" for our starting RT

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

This team needs elite offensive line play to be competitive.  We need to aim higher than "not horrible" for our starting RT

For a 4th round rookie from the SunBelt conference who was shoved into the starting lineup in August due to injury to the starters he’s been MORE THAN ABLE to hold his own. 

give me a füçkin break with absurd expectations considering the circumstances - you should be aware of contingency planning and that is exactly what has occurred with the OLine depth situation?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you aren't 5 deep at OT with pro-bowl caliber players are you even trying?

Apparently not in Today’s NFL

OT McDermott to the Pats stings a bit more now as the Jets’s stock of OLine keeps dwindling. 

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

For a 4th round rookie from the SunBelt conference who was shoved into the starting lineup in August due to injury to the starters he’s been MORE THAN ABLE to hold his own. 

give me a füçkin break with absurd expectations considering the circumstances - you should be aware of contingency planning and that is exactly what has occurred with the OLine depth situation?

Calm down.  My point is not that I expected Max Mitchell to be all world.  I agree he exceeded expectations as a 4th round rookie.  But, just because he exceeded expectations does not mean I want him starting for us.  Ideally he is a depth swing tackle next year and not our starting RT.

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1