JD is over rated

kevinc855

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You can criticize wilson all you like, but yesterday’s loss was on everyone including the coaches.  The way wilson was moving the team at the end, if you gave him 3 more plays they would have been closer for the kicker.  That was a major coaching gaffe.

Sure.  I was talking about the second Pats game.

Zach was good yesterday...Surely he could have been better...but Zach put the team in position to win the game late...

and then put them in a position to tie the game even later.  

Yesterday was a full team loss.

• Upvote 1

I was a HUGE critic of Joe but based on his last draft I think he is just fine.

I think he made some great moves lately-our last draft with Breece and G Wilson alone could set up our offense for 5-7 years.

the miss on Wilson and Becton are brutal though-Wilson in particular.

It is a weird thing as Becton and Wilson might end up being two of the worst draft busts ever for the Jets(dont worry I didnt forget about Blair Thomas + Vernon G) but  at the same time I like what Joe has done lately.

I honestly dont know if Joe knows what a good qb is though-Wilson Captain Morgan and Joe F all suck but at the same time I have faith Joe can get a proven vet in the offseason for QB. I know people want Arod and Carr they are not going anyplace.  I am not sure what the answer will be but I hope Joe figures it out

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure.  I was talking about the second Pats game.

Zach was good yesterday...Surely he could have been better...but Zach put the team in position to win the game late...

and then put them in a position to tie the game even later.  

Yesterday was a full team loss.

no he was not-he missed a bunch of throws had a terrible Int got lucky a few others were not picked off as well. If we had Mike white I am certain we win yesterday. It was very apparent Moore and G Wislon were not happy with many of Zach's throws 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

no he was not-he missed a bunch of throws had a terrible Int got lucky a few others were not picked off as well. If we had Mike white I am certain we win yesterday. It was very apparent Moore and G Wislon were not happy with many of Zach's throws 

Please let's not turn this into another ZW sucks thread.  It's a useless argument.

You can’t blame this on Douglas. The Jets started 5-2 and have now lost 3 in a row and are 7-7 and our heading towards another Jets trademark late season collapse.

Saleh has to coach these young players the last 3 games of the season. He said these aren’t the same old Jets. We shall see.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

High praise for someone who hasn’t made the playoffs in 4 years while the jets had multiple playoff appearances with parcels, Bradway and Tanenbaum

Those were completely different teams with different scenarios in regards to what those coaches GM's Acquired and what was already on those teams. JD really had no talent outside of a few it was barren!1

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Search the forums. I don't make ridiculous predictions. I show up every Sunday and root for wins. Period. Stop.

Oh, I get it. Then, all you do is make ridiculous hindsight comments after someone else (JD, here) makes a supposedly stupid decision (your commentary) and it doesn't work. You must be fun in a team concept.

JD had to make about a million decisions to get this team out from where they were by the end of the 2018 season. Not to mention being saddled with some big contracts that Mac handed out on his way out. He's missed in some big spots, but he's also had very little margin for error considering the amount of help the team needed. He's definitely not top 5 material but he's well above average and it seems his talent evaluation process is improving (valuing talent AND production). The QB is the biggest likely whiff so far, but he's earned the opportunity to take another swing. If we had even a Ryan Tannehill level QB on this team we're probably at 9 or 10 wins right now and cruising into the playoffs. He's done a good job.

• Upvote 2

JD had a great draft in 2022 but unfair to blame a GM for injuries. If a player is drafted with a reasonable health history and then goes down to injury and is on IR a lot in his career I've seen fans blame a GM for that but not warranted. His big mistake and what could bring both him and Saleh down was drafting Zach as overall no. 2. Before that draft we heard rumors that Jets were sold on selecting him it was a done deal and that proved true. So far imo Zach will have an NFL career but he's not as good as they though he'd be and certainly not worth that high a pick. JD did not stick with Darnold after he underperformed after 3 seasons will he do the same with Zach.

6 minutes ago, BP said:

You can’t blame this on Douglas. The Jets started 5-2 and have now lost 3 in a row and are 7-7 and our heading towards another Jets trademark late season collapse.

Saleh has to coach these young players the last 3 games of the season. He said these aren’t the same old Jets. We shall see.

Too late, we already saw. SOJ confirmed.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Too late, we already saw. SOJ confirmed.

Saleh has said some dumb sh*t this year to the press. Before the pats game he said “it’s not the end of the world if we lose this game” why would he say that? He’s gotta start thinking before he talks, or hire a press conference assistant.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Again I ask, what was your prediction for what the record would be at the end of the year? I have no idea what you said, but would be interested. Show the receipt.

I'm not sure what his prediction was, but I do remember, distinctly, Kevy Kev licking JD's balls for having Flacco as a back up.  Legit, I remember laughing my ass of at him, I think he said "one of the best back ups in the league" and if Zach fails, at least JD got him a top 10 back up who can bring this team to a WC.

I remember it distinctly...so yeah, there's your OP, licking JD's balls for bringing the corpse of Joe Flacco back.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s just something to consider when evaluating the state of the team. Especially now that they are playing starting QBs and are losing. 

Two of the last 3 games have been against division winners, one a favorite to win it all.  The third is on a tear and probably another playoff team.  I’d worry if we were losing to the Bears of the world.  We’re a young team with loads of talent everywhere.  His drafts past the first draft have been either good or historically good.  His FA signings like Reed, Q, Kwon etc, etc, have worked. I’m not complaining never mind calling for his head, that’s ridiculous 

12 minutes ago, BP said:

Saleh has said some dumb sh*t this year to the press. Before the pats game he said “it’s not the end of the world if we lose this game” why would he say that? He’s gotta start thinking before he talks, or hire a press conference assistant.

Of the entire team (coaches included), Saleh has been been the most disappointing as it concerns future abilities of this club to win. He needs to have a huge look in the mirror this offseason and reevaluate what he can do better. If he does not have some epiphany, then I worry. Even bigger than the QB quandry.

10 minutes ago, JiFields said:

I'm not sure what his prediction was, but I do remember, distinctly, Kevy Kev licking JD's balls for having Flacco as a back up.  Legit, I remember laughing my ass of at him, I think he said "one of the best back ups in the league" and if Zach fails, at least JD got him a top 10 back up who can bring this team to a WC.

I remember it distinctly...so yeah, there's your OP, licking JD's balls for bringing the corpse of Joe Flacco back.

Guess I was wrong on that take. I do think starting 21 with no veteran QB in the room was STUPID tho. I stand by that

But yea Flacco sucks on the field and in mentorship wise

JDs biggest blunders are:

1) 2020 draft overall

2) Drafting Zach #2 overall

3) not having proper depth at OL and QB

No GM is perfect and other then that he's done a great job. He's single handedly brought us out of the dark ages of roster talent when his last two predecessors set this franchise back a decade. He's far down the list of issues with this team...

46 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I do get your point, but I will put that game squarely on the shoulders of Zach though.  Jets were never going to score - baring a punt return of their own - I don't know how win that game.

The other two - were pure choke jobs by the players and coaches.  

Punt return, defensive play, big run - huge gaffe by Mann cost them the game. I appreciate you putting it on Zach but I still think it’s a choke.

14 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Guess I was wrong on that take. I do think starting 21 with no veteran QB in the room was STUPID tho. I stand by that

But yea Flacco sucks on the field and in mentorship wise

It's all good Kevy kev, we all get takes wrong.  The reason I brought this up is because a few months ago, you loved the worst move this "brilliant GM" at the time has made and now he's overrated.  Just goes back to my original take in the thread, this is reactionary silliness.  JD has this team in an incredible position, better than we've seen a long time and you shouldnt waiver from that simply because the team is on a skid. 

Reality is; 4 crucial plays this season have resulted in the current record, otherwise, we'd all be giving JD a lifetime contract

- bull sh*t Roughing call on Mac Jones negates a pick 6

- giving up a punt return w/ no time left on the clock

- Berrios dropping a TD pass he literally was trying to secure 

- a blown 4th and inches scenario w/ 4 point lead giving up the only TD of the day for the D w/ under 2 minutes to play

Despite all the nonsense that happened this year, that's how close the Jets are to having 11 wins w/ 3 remaining. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Of the entire team (coaches included), Saleh has been been the most disappointing as it concerns future abilities of this club to win. He needs to have a huge look in the mirror this offseason and reevaluate what he can do better. If he does not have some epiphany, then I worry. Even bigger than the QB quandry.

I’m afraid that the Jets talent level will win despite his incompetence. And If he’s in denial he’s doing anything wrong, nothing will change.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

we need to make Kirk Cousins type move. I think Carr would be the best available this season unfortunately. 

Cousins was a FA signing....

Where's the guarantee Vegas would even move Carr? 

The Brissett/Minshew class of QB is where we might be stuck looking for upgrades and people are gonna have to accept that....

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

It's all good Kevy kev, we all get takes wrong.  The reason I brought this up is because a few months ago, you loved the worst move this "brilliant GM" at the time has made and now he's overrated.  Just goes back to my original take in the thread, this is reactionary silliness.  JD has this team in an incredible position, better than we've seen a long time and you shouldnt waiver from that simply because the team is on a skid. 

Reality is; 4 crucial plays this season have resulted in the current record, otherwise, we'd all be giving JD a lifetime contract

- bull sh*t Roughing call on Mac Jones negates a pick 6

- giving up a punt return w/ no time left on the clock

- Berrios dropping a TD pass he literally was trying to secure 

- a blown 4th and inches scenario w/ 4 point lead giving up the only TD of the day for the D w/ under 2 minutes to play

Despite all the nonsense that happened this year, that's how close the Jets are to having 11 wins w/ 3 remaining. 

I never once called him brilliant

Far from it 

Show where I did 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I made this point a few times earlier in the year but yesterday this roster was exposed. 

1) Zach Wilson was never the pick at 2

2) Berrios signing was a waste of money 

3) Braden Mann stinks. Cutting morestead was unbelievably stupid.

4) Lawson signing was a waste of money 

5) Oline has never been fixed. Sure you can blame this on injuries I suppose but my God. Becton another JD pick is a bust. 

Sure you can point to some nice draft picks and he’s not necessarily  a “bad” GM but my God stop making this guy out to be something he’s not. Seems like JAG GM to me. 

Strange, you got REALLY quiet when they were winning....

Welcome back, I guess.

Let's see... Yup, all of this was pretty much stuff you brought up last year. So nothing new.

#1 - Agreed

#2 - Shrug, we had the cap space. He had contributed.

#3 - A punter? Really? You're on about a f'kn punter? Moving on.

#4 - Wasn't he leading the league in pressures again? Generally disrupts the O and creates opportunities for the rest of the Dline to get to the QB?

And we've debated #5 quite a few times... How many probowlers do you expect to have on the oline? Becton was not even a topic this year. Brown has filled in well. Mitchell and Fant have been ok to good. Tomlinson struggled early but has steadily improved. CMG has been decent all year. We're obviously missing AVT. Herbig is a back-up thrown into the starting role. With, what, 6 oline men on the IR at different points, really not sure what you're expecting here. Foaming at the mouth about Becton is sooooo 2021...

He's had 2 good drafts (last draft may be excellent), which includes making trades to either acquire draft capital, or more up and down the board to pick up his players. He's picked up good players off the waiver wire (Herbig, JFM, etc) as well as with some free agents (Reed is exceptional).

Overall, he's been solid.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes he is. That is correct. It was his draft pick. Do you deny this? 

Yeah, he picked the best punter in college... I don't think anyone denies that...

This is a mystery as punters generally translate very well to the pro level.

Oh well, waste of a 6th round pick?

18 minutes ago, derp said:

Punt return, defensive play, big run - huge gaffe by Mann cost them the game. I appreciate you putting it on Zach but I still think it’s a choke.

To be clear, I was putting the 2nd Pats game on Zach...He didn't give the team a chance there.

Not yesterday, Zach had the team in a position to win and they couldn't hold on.  ultimately he came up short - he surely deserves some of the blame - but it's def not solely on him.  A lot of blame to go around for yesterday.

JD is one of the best things to happen to this team. Believe Saleh is too. Only in year 2 together. Let it grow! 

This team just needs to desperately figure out the QB position. Find a way. Trade up to #1. Offer the farm for Lamar. Kidnap Herbert. I don’t give a ****. Figure it out. 

You have a young talented team, don’t waste it. 

• Upvote 3