Saleh Not Naming Starting QB for Thursday Night

JetsFanatic

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Cmon dude. You’ve been around too long for this take. It was entirely on Zach Wilson. Players will make plays, and Zach Wilson didn’t make enough. 

A QB leads you to a go ahead score with under 5 minutes to go. A top 10 defense blows a coverage and gives up a go-ahead TD and the coaching staff blows the timeouts available at the end of the game and you say that the loss is primarily on the  QB????

We just disagree.....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

whatever, your premise is absolutely ridiculous. I am not even a Wilson supporter and think the team needs to move on from him, but that doesnt make your premise any less ridiculous.

This place has an unhealthy obsession with the QB - probably because we haven't head a good one in so long (or in most of our lifetimes at all) and is probably partly a natural reaction to the repeated recent failures at drafting the position (Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson). But the results are these loony takes based around the idea that everything bad that has happened to the Jets this year has been Zach Wilson's fault and it makes nuanced discussion impossible. If your take from yesterday was that this loss was all Zach Wilson's fault, without mentioning 50 rushing yards on 20 attempts, or a punt returned for a TD, or a blown coverage on a 50 yard game winning TD pass, or some of the worst clock management I have ever seen from a team with all 3 timeouts left, then I think you need to put the Zach Wilson Voodoo doll down!

• Post of the Week 3

24 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

whatever, your premise is absolutely ridiculous. I am not even a Wilson supporter and think the team needs to move on from him, but that doesnt make your premise any less ridiculous.

I find your perspective on this to be too myopic/acute. I know @slimjasi is painting me with a broad brush, but it's accurate in this case, which is ironic because half the site is looking for blood from JD/Rob, which i think is in fact, ridiculous. We're in such a better place now than we've been for a decade, injuries notwithstanding.

The only consistent/redundant theme over the course of the season has been poor QB play... with some MFL and porous Oline play further polarizing that covalent bond. Yesterday was more of the same. 

• Upvote 1

MW must be the toughest guy alive bc I thought rib fractures were seriously debilitating? He’s at a charity event in Brooklyn less than 48 hrs after the Buffalo game, practices in a limited manner (throwing balls!)  and then hits a Broadway play later in the week. Does this sound like the schedule for someone with multiple broken ribs on both sides of their body? It just seems odd to me. Anyone else?

Judging by the general quality of posts on here, we don’t have a resident doctor to answer these questions. ?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I find your perspective on this to be too myopic/acute. I know @slimjasi is painting me with a broad brush, but it's accurate in this case, which is ironic because half the site is looking for blood from JD/Rob, which i think is in fact, ridiculous. We're in such a better place now than we've been for a decade, injuries notwithstanding.

The only consistent/redundant theme over the course of the season has been poor QB play... with some MFL and porous Oline play further polarizing that covalent bond. Yesterday was more of the same. 

I'm painted you using your own words. you wrote what you wrote. 

57 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No.... not even close. Really? You really believe that he played well enough to be talked about like that? Is that why GW was so thrilled about being overthrown. 

What is the supposed 'strength' of the current ny jets?  QB?  No, has not been since day one of this year.

Awesome sauce defense, competent special teams, good running game.  All have failed these last three games.  Wilson did not lose fumbles, he threw one pick, he threw two tds.  Was he good otherwise?  No, but he did not toss the game away.  If our all world defense actually makes a fing play for once when it counts we win.    Coach calls no time outs. 

Last drive, 3rd and 19 he gets over 20 with a pass to wilson he then gets a 1st down throw to moore, no timeouts used.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What is the supposed 'strength' of the current ny jets?  QB?  No, has not been since day one of this year.

Awesome sauce defense, competent special teams, good running game.  All have failed these last three games.  Wilson did not lose fumbles, he threw one pick, he threw two tds.  Was he good otherwise?  No, but he did not toss the game away.  If our all world defense actually makes a fing play for once when it counts we win.    Coach calls no time outs. 

Last drive, 3rd and 19 he gets over 20 with a pass to wilson he then gets a 1st down throw to moore, no timeouts used.

when they were winning they had a good running game and were causing turnovers.  what a shocker, now that they can't run and can't cause turnovers they're losing.  this team has made a leap this year, but they're not a playoff team yet.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not sure where youre going with this, but I will repeat, your stance that the only reason we lost yesterday was due to the QB is ridiculous

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This place has an unhealthy obsession with the QB - probably because we haven't head a good one in so long (or in most of our lifetimes at all) and is probably partly a natural reaction to the repeated recent failures at drafting the position (Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson). But the results are these loony takes based around the idea that everything bad that has happened to the Jets this year has been Zach Wilson's fault and it makes nuanced discussion impossible. If your take from yesterday was that this loss was all Zach Wilson's fault, without mentioning 50 rushing yards on 20 attempts, or a punt returned for a TD, or a blown coverage on a 50 yard game winning TD pass, or some of the worst clock management I have ever seen from a team with all 3 timeouts left, then I think you need to put the Zach Wilson Voodoo doll down!

I think most Jets fans are just not overly educated football fans, and that is not a knock, its just the reality. Its easy to look at poor QB play and simply blame the QB, and it may be right in some cases. But if you look deeper at the story, there is usually a lot more there. 

When a QB is playing well, there are usually a lot of things working well that support that QB playing well, and when a QB is playing poorly, there are usually a lot of things that support that QB playing poorly.

Jets fans think the only thing that matters is QB play. Its the most important thing, but it doesnt really happen in a vacuum. And its even more tricky when you have a young QB who is learning on the job. QB's used to get way more time to develop than they do now, and very rarely started on day 1. And, the college systems used to be a hell of a lot closer to NFL systems, and the defenses were not nearly as complex and running games were more of a part of the offense.

Today we have almost the complete opposite situation, and we wonder why so many QB's fail, but the un-educated want to solely blame the player.

I said from day 1 I don't think ZW should start on day 1, and is not ready to start on day 1, and thought it was a huge mistake, and ultimately amounted in a huge loss of draft capital. I know that all the football "experts" are going to tell me how there is no difference and a good qB can learn on the job, and that is completely dependent on the situation, the player, where the player needs to learn and grow, and the situation around them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What's BS, you think people would celebrate MW having the 8th worst "off target" passing game for all qb's in the league year? or you don't believe that was the 8th worst "off target" pass game?

If he had the same game Zach had yesterday and the game was lost in the last 2 minutes by the D , there would not be one single post from here or by the media about his off target completion %. It would be all about how the CS (timeouts) , Defense and Greg Z let him down.  ZW wasn't great yesterday and we all know that , but he was good enough to potentially win and that's all anyone should care about. The fact that stats post game need to be dredged up to bash him is just plain agenda driven and nothing else. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Saleh actually said no.  He went on with a relatively lengthy answer talking about Pete Carrol and how draft status doesn't mean anything once players set foot in the building.  The best players play.  Period.

I 100% believe this is the culture Saleh us trying to put in place, and by saying it repeatedly (he’s said this before) he’s playing his hand at forcing the other influencers in the building to get on board with it… because we all know Woody isn’t wired this way, I’m kinda concerned JD may not be either.

I think this is the internal battle Saleh has been fighting since the spring, tbh.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Christos607 said:

Make Jax prepare for both qb’s with two different styles on a short week. Wilson most likely starts

Pretty much. 

Zach did not play that bad on Sunday. Obviously not good enough to overcome some of the mistakes made by the team (including himself) to win. But let's be honest, this one is hard to put on Zach. Had the Jets not given up a special teams TD, an awful blunder on 4th and inches and poor clock management by the coaching staff in the last minute, he would have walked away with a W.

Really, had the Jets gotten any one of those things right, they would have won the game. Great QBs can overcome those mistakes. Zach is certainly not that, but he can win you the game if the rest of your teams plays solid, mistake free football.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And not really "the stats" but one stat.

Completion %...

it seems the 315 yards, 2 TD's and 9.1 yards per attempt are almost completely disregarded.  

Not to mention a big reason for the low completion % is just the 2 drives after the 3rd quarter

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Pretty much. 

Zach did not play that bad on Sunday. Obviously not good enough to overcome some of the mistakes made by the team (including himself) to win. But let's be honest, this one is hard to put on Zach. Had the Jets not given up a special teams TD, an awful blunder on 4th and inches and poor clock management by the coaching staff in the last minute, he would have walked away with a W.

Really, had the Jets gotten any one of those things right, they would have won the game. Great QBs can overcome those mistakes. Zach is certainly not that, but he can win you the game if the rest of your teams plays solid, mistake free football.  

When Wilson loses, it's because the D and the ST need to play better...

When White loses. it's because he didn't score enough points...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hex said:

Not to mention a big reason for the low completion % is just the 2 drives after the 3rd quarter

How about the poor completion % his entire season?  He's # 33 in the league currently (lowest among qualifying QBs), after all.

No matter what excuses are brought to the table, 51 % against a bottom-3 pass D is unacceptable.

• Upvote 3