Tom Brady (OT)

[I realize this isn't the greatest time for this discussion right now but I don't want to forget to bring this up so I'm posting it now]

I was talking with a friend this weekend about TB12 and he brought up something I'd never heard anyone mention before.  In the "tuck rule" game against the Raiders, if the refs ruled it a fumble, the Raiders would've won that game and Drew Bledsoe probably would've been named the starter going into the next season.  Who knows how TB12's tenure in New England would've played out. 

• Upvote 1

Jets fans have rehashed this hypothetical numerous times over the years.

Who knows?

All I can say is that I want him as the QB of the Jets next year, past rivalry be damned.

Don’t care about his age. Brady could still trot out onto the field at 50 and outperform half the QB’s in the league and still sh*t on 98% of them in crunch time.

And I don’t want to hear anyone tell me that it has no chance of happening. This team has a Top 5 defense with plenty of young talent at the skill positions and there would be no bigger “f*ck you” to Belichick and the Pats than Brady joining the team BB despises and leading them to glory.

Brady also wouldn’t require giving up draft picks and has repeatedly shown a willingness to take a below market salary to give the team flexibility in bringing in talent. And upper echelon talent WANTS to play with him.

I dare anyone to name me a more perfect “bridge” QB who also makes this team one of the odds-on favorites to win the Superbowl over the next 2 years.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows?

All I can say is that I want him as the QB of the Jets next year, past rivalry be damned.

Don’t care about his age. Brady could still trot out onto the field at 50 and outperform half the QB’s in the league and still sh*t on 98% of them in crunch time.

And I don’t want to hear anyone tell me that it has no chance of happening. This team has a Top 5 defense with plenty of young talent at the skill positions and there would be no bigger “f*ck you” to Belichick and the Pats than Brady joining the team BB despises and leading them to glory.

Brady also wouldn’t require giving up draft picks and has repeatedly shown a willingness to take a below market salary to give the team flexibility in bringing in talent. And upper echelon talent WANTS to play with him.

I dare anyone to name me a more perfect “bridge” QB who also makes this team one of the odds-on favorites to win the Superbowl over the next 2 years.

Except knowing the Jets luck, Brady comes here and immediately declines. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows?

Bridge to who?????  Are you watching the games this season?  Brady is done. Put a fork in him. He has what might be the best receiving corps in the NFL and he is averaging 6.3 yards an attempt.  Do you realize how bad that is?  It is 31st out of 33 QBs this season. The only reason his stats look gaudy is that he is on pace to throw almost 800 passes this season.  He is a statue and he is old and his arm strength is gone. He has looked horrible the past 4-5 weeks except for one quarter in each game.  

I cannot root for this man.  I despise him. Plus, I don't care about sticking anything to Belicheat. I want the Jets to build a winning team that competes for a playoff spot every year going forward. I want the Jets to win, not embarrass Belicheat.  The Jets are heading up and the Pats are headed down. Buffalo is the target, and so is Miami, not the Pats with the crap team they have (two undeserved wins the Jets notwithstanding ). Brady is - at the ultimate best- a one year fix to maybe (if things break right) go on a playoff run. He's not winning playoff games any more.  The most likely outcome is that his decline continues and the Jets win 7-8 games like Tampa and he retires and the Jets are left with nobody in 2024, because neither White (he won't sign here if Brady is here) nor Wilson (2024 would be year 4 of his rookie deal and he's not going to get better watching Brady lob passes around) will be a viable back up. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bridge to who?????  Are you watching the games this season?  Brady is done. Put a fork in him. He has what might be the best receiving corps in the NFL and he is averaging 6.3 yards an attempt.  Do you realize how bad that is?  It is 31st out of 33 QBs this season. The only reason his stats look gaudy is that he is on pace to throw almost 800 passes this season.  He is a statue and he is old and his arm strength is gone. He has looked horrible the past 4-5 weeks except for one quarter in each game.  

I cannot root for this man.  I despise him. Plus, I don't care about sticking anything to Belicheat. I want the Jets to build a winning team that competes for a playoff spot every year going forward. I want the Jets to win, not embarrass Belicheat.  The Jets are heading up and the Pats are headed down. Buffalo is the target, and so is Miami, not the Pats with the crap team they have (two undeserved wins the Jets notwithstanding ). Brady is - at the ultimate best- a one year fix to maybe (if things break right) go on a playoff run. He's not winning playoff games any more.  The most likely outcome is that his decline continues and the Jets win 7-8 games like Tampa and he retires and the Jets are left with nobody in 2024, because neither White (he won't sign here if Brady is here) nor Wilson (2024 would be year 4 of his rookie deal and he's not going to get better watching Brady lob passes around) will be a viable back up. 

1141373842_ArchManning2.JPG.746c50c2ab1f308970c063a7f4c39851.JPG

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Jets fans have been ready to stick a fork in Brady for the last decade.

He was supposed to be “done” during his last season with the Pats when he threw that game sealing pick 6 in the playoffs.

And all he’s done since then is have a pair of MVP caliber seasons and win another championship.

And now at 45, he’s on pace for another 4,000 yard season and a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Yeah, I’d still take him in a heartbeat.

• More Ugh 2

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Jets fans have been ready to stick a fork in Brady for the last decade.

He was supposed to be “done” during his last season with the Pats when he threw that game sealing pick 6 in the playoffs.

And all he’s done since then is have a pair of MVP caliber seasons and win another championship.

And now at 45, he’s on pace for another 4,000 yard season and a 3:1 TD/INT ratio.

Yeah, I’d still take him in a heartbeat.

Look a little deeper into the numbers and past the name.  It is taking him 750 passes to throw for 4000 yards and 20 TDs.  Any Qb in the NFL can do that.  He's bottom third of the league in almost every qualitative stat.  And he's not winning games this season. If you watch him week to week, he just looks terrible.  If there were a decent team in the NFC South, he would be an afterthought. He's an old man who should have stayed retired - both on a professional and a personal level.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows?

No No No GIFCbs No GIF by HULU

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Who knows?

My only caveat to this is:

1) Does he want to play back in the northeast? His 1st FA he seemed to only want destinations down south or out in the west. 

2) How are we coming up with the Cap to sign him, AND make improvements to the OL to sustain a 46 year old Brady? 

3) Who's replacing Mikey boy at OC? Because Brady will have him wearing cement shoes by week 5....

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

[I realize this isn't the greatest time for this discussion right now but I don't want to forget to bring this up so I'm posting it now]

I was talking with a friend this weekend about TB12 and he brought up something I'd never heard anyone mention before.  In the "tuck rule" game against the Raiders, if the refs ruled it a fumble, the Raiders would've won that game and Drew Bledsoe probably would've been named the starter going into the next season.  Who knows how TB12's tenure in New England would've played out. 

i'm not sure about that.  i've talked with some patsie fans too about blesoe vs brady and they said brady had that something special that bledsoe didn't have.  so there is every reason to believe things would've turned out the same.

The Jets had more to do with the Patriots winning the sb that year than anything. If they don’t beat the raiders the last game of the season the raiders would have had home field advantage, not the pats. And then the next week the jets laid an egg anyways. The jets had the Same exact game plan as the previous week and the raiders had a competent coach, jets lose. 

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No way. Brady had a stellar regular  season that year. I think he lost 1 game

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah, but.....

Brady was the better QB at the 2001 training camp.  Brady was not a gunslinger like Drew.  He was far more accurate.  Daniel Jeremiah shared some scouting notes from Bill's Cleveland days.

#1 is to make good decisions -- then arm, size, physically tough, leadership, guys look up to and have confidence in, a real competitor," Belichick writes. "Accurate rather than guy with a cannon. Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accuracy -- guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much so as field awareness & judgment. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy with ball handling, [techniques] etc."

That is Brady.  Outside of arm, Drew was not superior to Tom in anything else.  Named the starter?  I do not know.

I think there would have been some internal discussions about trading Drew and going with Brady.  Plus, you get out from under the remaining 9 years and 90 million of that contract.  

Whether the dynasty unfolds as it did after 2001, is a good discussion.  I think it is clear, Tom would have been QBing the Patriots regardless.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Daniel Jeremiah shared some scouting notes from Bill's Cleveland days.

#1 is to make good decisions -- then arm, size, physically tough, leadership, guys look up to and have confidence in, a real competitor," Belichick writes. "Accurate rather than guy with a cannon. Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accuracy -- guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much so as field awareness & judgment. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy with ball handling, [techniques] etc."

If we rate MW vs ZW on the BB scale:

Good decisions: Mike White

Arm: Zach Wilson

Size: Maybe a tie?  MW is taller but ZW seems thicker. 

Physically Tough: Not sure.  MW is tough as nails but ZW's body seems more able to take the hits.

Leadership: Mike White

Guys look up to and have confidence in: Mike White

A real competitor: Mike White

Emphasis on our game will be on decision, timing, accuracy -- guy needs to be confident, intelligence is important but not as much so as field awareness & judgment. Can't be sloppy fundamentally unsound guy with ball handling, [techniques] etc:  Mike White on all counts

7 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but.....

Brady was the better QB at the 2001 training camp.  Brady was not a gunslinger like Drew.  He was far more accurate.  Daniel Jeremiah shared some scouting notes from Bill's Cleveland days.

That is Brady.  Outside of arm, Drew was not superior to Tom in anything else.  Named the starter?  I do not know.

I think there would have been some internal discussions about trading Drew and going with Brady.  Plus, you get out from under the remaining 9 years and 90 million of that contract.  

Whether the dynasty unfolds as it did after 2001, is a good discussion.  I think it is clear, Tom would have been QBing the Patriots regardless.

It's funny because you wrote "Outside of arm, Drew was not superior to Tom in anything else". 

Maybe Drew's arm was stronger but am I crazy to think that TB12 had a very strong arm?  (Maybe not as much now at age 45, but throughout most of his career).  I still haven't gotten over that throw to Randy Moss in the SB against the Giants.  It went like 70+ yards in the air, with excellent accuracy.  

14 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

My only caveat to this is:

1) Does he want to play back in the northeast? His 1st FA he seemed to only want destinations down south or out in the west. 

2) How are we coming up with the Cap to sign him, AND make improvements to the OL to sustain a 46 year old Brady? 

3) Who's replacing Mikey boy at OC? Because Brady will have him wearing cement shoes by week 5....

1) he signed with Tampa because of its proximity to Brazil and his wife at the time. Have you been to Florida? There are many Brazilians 

2) we already have $15 mil in cap room next season with projected cap. We can create more space by cutting/restructuring players

3) Brady is his own OC

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, VJphillyfan said:

1) he signed with Tampa because of its proximity to Brazil and his wife at the time. Have you been to Florida? There are many Brazilians 

Ok, but his other reported destinations were all in the south and out west where I'm sure there's lesser Brazilian populations, had he chosen them. Still no indication he'd be willing to play back northeast. Sticking it to Belichick twice maybe 3 times a year with a roster that can go deep with great QB play is a good sell tho. 

2) we already have $15 mil in cap room next season with projected cap. We can create more space by cutting/restructuring players

Yes, but when making these cuts to gain cap not only would we have to sign Brady, and a couple OL, we'd have to replace the players we just cut. Cap is prob going to increase significantly but it isn't infinite

3) Brady is his own OC

That sounds nice, but he had to make adjustments to Bruce Arians' downfield passing attack. Took them a few weeks to get on the same page back in 2020. Also, do we blame him or Leftwich for the offense's troubles this year in Tampa? If Brady is the OC, he doesn't seem to be very good at it this year huh?(see how this works)

Mikey has shown to be very rigid in how he calls a game. I'd rather get rid of him under this scenario. 

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

3) Brady is his own OC

Your #1 reason is so unbelievably dumb. Proximity to Brazil? ???

Who told you that he chose Tampa Bay because there are "Brazilians in Florida"? That's ridiculous.

1) Tampa is a town of old farts from New York and Boston. Brazilians? LOL. Do some research. The largest Brazilian population in the U.S. is in MASSACHUSETTS. Derp.  Then NY, DC, SF, Houston and way down the list... Miami. Not Tampa. They're in the same state, but they're 4 hours distance from each other.

2) Tom and Gisele aren't hanging with the locals, even if there are Brazilians there. They're billionaires. They hang with billionaires. In mansions. 

3) If Tom Brady gave a crap about what his wife wanted, he'd be retired from football and still married.

4) He chose Tampa because they had a roster full of stars at every position but QB. It was a perfect fit for a ring. 

Seriously. I'm pretty sure the guys today that want Brady on the Jets next year are the same ones that used to go retrieve the dollars from the middle of the spirals in Giants Stadium.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's funny because you wrote "Outside of arm, Drew was not superior to Tom in anything else". 

Maybe Drew's arm was stronger but am I crazy to think that TB12 had a very strong arm?  (Maybe not as much now at age 45, but throughout most of his career).  I still haven't gotten over that throw to Randy Moss in the SB against the Giants.  It went like 70+ yards in the air, with excellent accuracy.  

I always thought he had a decent arm.  I am probably judging on accuracy. 

I think his avocado ice cream took it to another level.  ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Your #1 reason is so unbelievably dumb. Proximity to Brazil? ???

Who told you that he chose Tampa Bay because there are "Brazilians in Florida"? That's ridiculous.

1) Tampa is a town of old farts from New York and Boston. Brazilians? LOL. Do some research. The largest Brazilian population in the U.S. is in MASSACHUSETTS. Derp.  Then NY, DC, SF, Houston and way down the list... Miami. Not Tampa. They're in the same state, but they're 4 hours distance from each other.

2) Tom and Gisele aren't hanging with the locals, even if there are Brazilians there. They're billionaires. They hang with billionaires. In mansions. 

3) If Tom Brady gave a crap about what his wife wanted, he'd be retired from football and still married.

4) He chose Tampa because they had a roster full of stars at every position but QB. It was a perfect fit for a ring. 

Seriously. I'm pretty sure the guys today that want Brady on the Jets next year are the same ones that used to go retrieve the dollars from the middle of the spirals in Giants Stadium.

Are you physically 10 years old or only mentally that age?

20 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Brady is going to San Francisco next year,  He's been trying to get there since he left the Patriots.  The happy news is that Garoppolo will probably be available of the Jets are interested.