I'll say it again...no more draft pick QB's need a Veteran

I have a crazy, crazy idea, bring someone into the building who knows what they are looking at when selecting, and developing a QB. If Andy Reid came here next year, I would say you pick the QB you want, either draft or FA, and make it happen. With Saleh, MLF, JD, no more drafts because they have no idea what they are doing with a young QB.

Sadly, going the vet route is a recipe for hoping to squeak into a 6th seed every couple of years with a strong roster.

But because we insist on hiring people who don't know what they are doing, that is the best we can hope for.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:11 AM, JetPotato said:

We've all been through a lot with this franchise. That we're still around says a whole lot about fan loyalty. No matter what has happened, no matter the level of embarrassment, frustration, or lack of hope, I've always come back. I don't think I've missed a game, ever.

There is one thing on some people's radar that will change all that. One thing that will be the nail in the coffin and mean the permanent end of my Jet Fandom.

That thing is Tom Brady.

I heard that about Mike Vick, Jason Taylor, Isaiah Crowell, and a bunch of other guys over the years. Yet here we all are. Still.

If the Jets signed that guy, and gave us a 12-4 season and a SB appearance, with a sweep of NE as the cherry on top, all would be forgiven, I think. ? 

• Upvote 2

We've all been through a lot with this franchise. That we're still around says a whole lot about fan loyalty. No matter what has happened, no matter the level of embarrassment, frustration, or lack of hope, I've always come back. I don't think I've missed a game, ever.
There is one thing on some people's radar that will change all that. One thing that will be the nail in the coffin and mean the permanent end of my Jet Fandom.
That thing is Tom Brady.
THIS

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

I heard that about Mike Vick, Jason Taylor, Isaiah Crowell, and a bunch of other guys over the years. Yet here we all are. Still.

If the Jets signed that guy, and gave us a 12-4 season and a SB appearance, with a sweep of NE as the cherry on top, all would be forgiven, I think.  
That is a firm MAYBE

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

Do both.  Bring in a veteran AND draft a young QB.  Give him time to develop,  DO not be tempted to start him, barring injuries until at best year two.

Obviously we need to have the right people around the young QB to maximize his eventual potential for success

Go year to year on the veteran or at least do not lock ourselves into whoever it is for a long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:35 PM, Jets4Life1979 said:

Rodgers, Carr, Garrapolo I dont care what anyone says

No, No, and NO... Not saying that I don't want a VET, just not either of those 3. It's also going to take a good fixing of the OL this offseason.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:41 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nonsense.  Draft a QB every year (within reason) until you have one.  Then still draft them if you see potential.

You do both.  If White finishes out strong could stick with him and bring in a 2nd or 3rd round QB type to develop or could do the same if Whites not the answer to sit behind a Carr type.

PFF just put out an article on possible QB trades
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-realistic-trade-value-landing-spots-quarterbacks-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-derek-carr

Gives us an idea of what it will take get someone in here:
- Rodgers (39): Two 1st and two 2nd rounders
- Carr (31): 1st and 3rd
- Lamar (25): Three 1st, 2nd and a 3rd

1st & 3rd for Carr. No way. He just got benched. Take a lot less to get him. We would have to obviously take in his contract though

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Obviously by the name I choose to use I don’t believe we can successfully draft high 1st round QB’s (but I couldn’t fit that all in my name). I thought Vinnie Testaverde was a great veteran QB for us and that is the type of QB I would like for us to bring in for next year.

I’m not opposed to drafting QB’s, just not in the 1st round because of our horrible track record this past decade. Remember too that some of the greatest QB’s of all time weren’t first round draft picks. 

3 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

1st & 3rd for Carr. No way. He just got benched. Take a lot less to get him. We would have to obviously take in his contract though

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Plus...if he's on a roster as of mid-february (2/15 i think) an additional $40 million gets guaranteed.  

No one is trading for that contract, let alone trading a 1st and a 3rd for that contract.

• Sympathy 1

You have to continually cycle young talent and you do that through the draft. It's the prudent thing to do and it's cost effective. The upside is greater; increase the talent pool, sooner or later a blue chip will emerge. The alternative to that is to reach on Carr or Garrapolo, who have a shorter shelf life and have already peaked. Neither one of those guys is going to turn into Tom Brady. That guy is more likely a draft pick in 2023. 

15 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I have a crazy, crazy idea, bring someone into the building who knows what they are looking at when selecting, and developing a QB. If Andy Reid came here next year, I would say you pick the QB you want, either draft or FA, and make it happen. With Saleh, MLF, JD, no more drafts because they have no idea what they are doing with a young QB.

Sadly, going the vet route is a recipe for hoping to squeak into a 6th seed every couple of years with a strong roster.

But because we insist on hiring people who don't know what they are doing, that is the best we can hope for.

2021 QB choices were Zac, trey lance, mac jones, justin fields, kyle trask, kellon mond & davis mills. It was proven to be a bad draft year for QB's. Throw in a heavily injured Oline and imo poor OC in MLF  and wilson had no chance in developing into anything. . Considering the rest of our 2022 draft picks, It's safe to say JD & Saleh know what they're doing draftwise.

38 minutes ago, joewilly said:

2021 QB choices were Zac, trey lance, mac jones, justin fields, kyle trask, kellon mond & davis mills. It was proven to be a bad draft year for QB's. Throw in a heavily injured Oline and imo poor OC in MLF  and wilson had no chance in developing into anything. . Considering the rest of our 2022 draft picks, It's safe to say JD & Saleh know what they're doing draftwise.

drafting and developing a QB is not the same as anything else, and its not even close. There are some guys who know what they are doing with QB's, and then there is everyone else. Im not even criticizing JD on his own, but JD/Saleh/MLF are the guys who have to chose and develop a QB, none of them have given me any confidence whatsoever that they can do it right next time

• Sympathy 1

when people say "no more draft picks, we need a vet QB" it reminds me of when they said no more half measures let's tear it all down to the studs 

the Jets didn't need to rebuild totally and become a 2 win team just to end up looking for a QB in year 5 of JD 

similarly, they aren't going to the super bowl with a retread. Jimmy G and Carr are interesting as backups as starters they are flawed and won't get you to the promised land 

"vets QBs are better" is something Jets fans tell themselves to make us forget about how bad the Zach miss truly was 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

drafting and developing a QB is not the same as anything else, and its not even close. There are some guys who know what they are doing with QB's, and then there is everyone else. Im not even criticizing JD on his own, but JD/Saleh/MLF are the guys who have to chose and develop a QB, none of them have given me any confidence whatsoever that they can do it right next time

there's a difference between developing a college QB and teaching him middle school fundamentals 

it's not an NFL coach's job to teach a QB the basics of footwork, reads and arm angles. Zach was supposed to know that stuff before he became a professional 

it's on JD for picking an unfixable QB not on the coaches for not developing him 

if Zach is going to have a career it's going to be a Geno Smith/Rich Gannon type of thing where he takes 7-10 years in the wilderness learning how to be an actual QB. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a difference between developing a college QB and teaching him middle school fundamentals 

it's not an NFL coach's job to teach a QB the basics of footwork, reads and arm angles. Zach was supposed to know that stuff before he became a professional 

it's on JD for picking an unfixable QB not on the coaches for not developing him 

if Zach is going to have a career it's going to be a Geno Smith/Rich Gannon type of thing where he takes 7-10 years in the wilderness learning how to be an actual QB. 

I don't separate selecting and developing a QB, they are completely tied at the hip, for the organization, or you have a really, really flawed organization, which is exactly my point. ZW can only take so much blame, he didn't ask to be picked by this organization, they saw what everyone else saw about him, and put him in day 1. The org selected him, saw him in practice, saw him in games, and put him in and stuck with him, ZW didnt do that

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

No, No, and NO... Not saying that I don't want a VET, just not either of those 3. It's also going to take a good fixing of the OL this offseason.

Any vet who "might" be available will come with some warts.  All of those three are better than we have right now and in the end it comes down to cost.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Any vet who "might" be available will come with some warts.  All of those three are better than we have right now and in the end it comes down to cost.

For a team that’s been sniffing through dumpsters at QB we sure have a case of the “not perfects” when it comes to QB options.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

when people say "no more draft picks, we need a vet QB" it reminds me of when they said no more half measures let's tear it all down to the studs 

the Jets didn't need to rebuild totally and become a 2 win team just to end up looking for a QB in year 5 of JD 

similarly, they aren't going to the super bowl with a retread. Jimmy G and Carr are interesting as backups as starters they are flawed and won't get you to the promised land 

"vets QBs are better" is something Jets fans tell themselves to make us forget about how bad the Zach miss truly was 

What do you think of Levis?

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

I don't separate selecting and developing a QB, they are completely tied at the hip, for the organization, or you have a really, really flawed organization, which is exactly my point. ZW can only take so much blame, he didn't ask to be picked by this organization, they saw what everyone else saw about him, and put him in day 1. The org selected him, saw him in practice, saw him in games, and put him in and stuck with him, ZW didnt do that

i agree with everything there - but the blame falls on one person's shoulders 

because ZW was drafted so high, paid so much, they couldn't sit him a year like Mahomes or Rodgers

2 picks don't sit they save the franchise

it's on JD for drafting the wrong savior. I actually am proud of Saleh for getting Mike White into the starting job, despite all that pressure of the franchise force feeding him Zach 

• Upvote 1

Tennessee has no problem poaching a QB from another team's practice squad, and a week later the guy is ready to start! I'm curious to see if this guy is better than Flacco. LOL

NASHVILLE – Quarterback Josh Dobbs will make his first NFL start when the Tennessee Titans play host to the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday Night Football, sources confirmed to All Titans.

Dobbs, who was signed off the Detroit Lions’ practice squad on Dec. 21.

Dobbs was 35-for-53 passing for 338 yds with 2 touchdowns and zero interceptions (a 96.3 passer rating) in three preseason games with the Browns this summer. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Last two SBs were won by re-treads. I generally agree sure best to draft a stud and enjoy his rookie deal years but game is changing and FQBs moving around more than ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

Can anyone tell who was our last great QB that we drafted in the first round? I think it’s been a pretty long time and a rather abysmal track record in my opinion.

• Joe Namath (1965 - Pick 1.1)

End of list.

Good/OK additional Jets QBs taken in the 1st:

• Richard Todd (1976 - Pick 1.6)
  • Ken O'Brien (1983 - Pick 1.24)
  • Chad Pennington (2000 - Pick 1.18)
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

i agree with everything there - but the blame falls on one person's shoulders 

because ZW was drafted so high, paid so much, they couldn't sit him a year like Mahomes or Rodgers

2 picks don't sit they save the franchise

it's on JD for drafting the wrong savior. I actually am proud of Saleh for getting Mike White into the starting job, despite all that pressure of the franchise force feeding him Zach 

I don't believe that JD made that pick on his own. Pretty certain he had MLF as a big part of the scouting and vetting process, but either way, the larger problem IMO is that we don't have anyone in the org who knows what they are looking at with a QB

• Upvote 1