Zach Wilson benched. Flacco QB2

pointman

I don’t think Woody can blame JD for this because I am sure Woody pushed.  to start Zach Wilson right away.   They may have ruined whatever potential he had, just like Geno, and Darnold, and  Sanchez was ruined.   

Jordan Love has not seen meaningful time on the field yet.  He is finishing his 3rd season. The Packers still think he has potential.  He could end up a Jet.    Mahomes sat his first season. 

Zach never should have seen the field until maybe late this season, early next.  This organization screwed this up, and no FA QB in their right mind is coming here to play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • More Ugh 1

Going to submit the edgy hot take/conspiracy theory that there is no plausible positive takeaway from getting deactivated—twice—during a playoff chase. I know, I know, Wilson just needs a “reset,” but the fact that they don’t even want him available in an emergency situation in this upcoming game is—?conspiracy alert?—not great. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Going to submit the edgy hot take/conspiracy theory that there is no plausible positive takeaway from getting deactivated—twice—during a playoff chase. I know, I know, Wilson just needs a “reset,” but the fact that they don’t even want him available in an emergency situation in this upcoming game is—?conspiracy alert?—not great. 

The less tape that’s out there the better chance a team is suckered into giving something up to acquire him?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

You need to realize he has to say this.....

If he says "Zach Wilson is done here"....that becomes the story.....and now we have a distraction while this team needs to focus on preparing for Seattle and ultimately our playoff run 

That and saying anything else affects his trade value. In another report it said trading him amounts to the team he’s traded to having him on for 2 years at 9.3M while the Jets only get a dead cap hit of 1.9M. So, maybe JD can work his magic like he did with Darnold and maybe get some picks for Wilson. But, if Saleh didn’t say the kid has a future with the Jets then it would throw all trade leverage out the window. You always have to play things like that close to the vest to maximize what you can get in return.

7 minutes ago, TommyT said:

Streveler will be the goal line qb.

This would be amazing. One of the real shortcomings in White’s game is obviously in short yardage being able to do that quick sprintout stuff that Zach is actually good at. It’d be encouraging simply to have a short yardage package ready at all these next two games. Sick of seeing shotgun empty sets on 3rd and two.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

You need to realize he has to say this.....

If he says "Zach Wilson is done here"....that becomes the story.....and now we have a distraction while this team needs to focus on preparing for Seattle and ultimately our playoff run 

Plus, it kills any trade value Wilson has in case Douglas decides to take that route.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

JD is going to get a nigh-unprecedented second bite at the QB apple after whiffing on a high first rounder (hat tip @bitonti for posting the stats on GM life expectancies after such whiffs).

He is going all in belt and suspenders for 2023 you can believe that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

That and saying anything else affects his trade value. In another report it said trading him amounts to the team he’s traded to having him on for 2 years at 9.3M while the Jets only get a dead cap hit of 1.9M. So, maybe JD can work his magic like he did with Darnold and maybe get some picks for Wilson. But, if Saleh didn’t say the kid has a future with the Jets then it would throw all trade leverage out the window. You always have to play things like that close to the vest to maximize what you can get in return.

On the other hand, Saleh has to sack up and say it’s White’s team the rest of the way. He can worry about Wilson’s trade value next month. He has a team he has to motivate foe a playoff run, and wasting energy babying Zach Wilson isn’t going to help that effort.

• Upvote 2

This definitely feels like game over for Zach. Everything is a mess, from his mechanics to his confidence. There is zero reason to have him be active the rest of the season.

The real debate will be in the off-season. Is he tradable? Do the Jets still think he can be developed? Do the Jets simply want to move on, release him, make a move for a borderline starter/backup like Gardner Menshew?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zachs people were done after that game as well. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, Saleh has to sack up and say it’s White’s team the rest of the way. He can worry about Wilson’s trade value next month. He has a team he has to motivate foe a playoff run, and wasting energy babying Zach Wilson isn’t going to help that effort.

Wasting more energy you mean, now that JD and Woody have been brought to heel.

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD is going to get a nigh-unprecedented second bite at the QB apple after whiffing on a high first rounder (hat tip @bitonti for posting the stats on GM life expectancies after such whiffs).

He is going all in belt and suspenders for 2023 you can believe that.

Yeah, he’s still in the honeymoon period post-Gase. Once Zach is gone, all eyes will be on him and Saleh. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, he’s still in the honeymoon period post-Gase. Once Zach is gone, all eyes will be on him and Saleh. 

It should be. The weird scenario is if he continues to nail picks without finding a QB. Reminiscent of most of Ozzie Newsome’s career TBH…

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Haha - he did 

OMG… we’re ****ed. Honestly, WTF are they looking at in practice? They have no explanation at all. At least kotite would say “they practiced well”. Well then ok, but never a mention of how Wilson performs in practice just “he’s in our future”

At this point we need professional help for the kid because even though he sucks I think they’re handling the situation terribly. Which makes the situation twice as bad.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think Woody can blame JD for this because I am sure Woody pushed.  to start Zach Wilson right away.   They may have ruined whatever potential he had, just like Geno, and Darnold, and  Sanchez was ruined.   

Jordan Love has not seen meaningful time on the field yet.  He is finishing his 3rd season. The Packers still think he has potential.  He could end up a Jet.    Mahomes sat his first season. 

Zach never should have seen the field until maybe late this season, early next.  This organization screwed this up, and no FA QB in their right mind is coming here to play. 

Actually the complete opposite. This team is 10-5 and a playoff team with average NFL QB play and has a good and young roster. They may also have the OROY and DROY even with Hall going down. A QB would be foolish to not sign here if they could agree on the numbers. 

1 minute ago, BP said:

OMG… we’re ****ed. Honestly, WTF are they looking at in practice? They have no explanation at all. At least kotite would say “they practiced well”. Well then ok, but never a mention of how Wilson performs in practice just “he’s in our future”

At this point we need professional help for the kid because even though he sucks I think they’re handling the situation terribly. Which makes the situation twice as bad.

Eh, I don’t think it means much what Saleh says about him at this point. If their goal is to trade him, it makes sense to pretend to still be interested in developing him.

also, FWIW, if we can’t get a decent draft pick for him, I would personally have no problem bringing Zach back as a QB3/developmental piece and giving him an honest look in trading camp. I’m hoping Mike White wins the job and is QB1 headed into camp next year - in that scenario, i don’t see the issue with bringing Zach back to compete for the backup role. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I’d be surprised if they don’t already have his new team all picked out as we speak.

He’s in a weird spot. Can’t go all out with trade demands since he has the anti-team-player stink on him now. Fortunately for him he has powerful friends with platforms to leverage.

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A public hanging would at least be definitive.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

He’s in a weird spot. Can’t go all out with trade demands since he has the anti-team-player stink on him now. Fortunately for him he has powerful friends with platforms to leverage.

They’d only have to go public if Douglas chose to keep him next year stapled to the bench. I’m guessing Douglas will be more than happy to let Steve Young and Wilson’s rep finesse a destination behind the scenes. Interestingly, Wilson has the same agent as Ryan Tannehill. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

It should be. The weird scenario is if he continues to nail picks without finding a QB. Reminiscent of most of Ozzie Newsome’s career TBH…

Something Woody needs to consider is the significant improvement in the team's overall talent level since JD took over. As bad a whiff as the ZW pick is, the team is set up to be formidable for the foreseeable future. That has to count for something.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They’d only have to go public if Douglas chose to keep him next year stapled to the bench. I’m guessing Douglas will be more than happy to let Steve Young and Wilson’s rep finesse a destination behind the scenes. Interestingly, Wilson has the same agent as Ryan Tannehill. 

You are right and he’s likely to get an unlikely ally in any effort to shoot himself off the team — the NYJ themselves.

• Upvote 1