Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

Breer on the Carr-Raiders divorce: Carr is soft(?), lacks accountability, and is bad in the clutch%

Well, there are a few reasons for it, beyond just his 63–79 record as a starter, which, to be fair, is in part on him and in part a product of his surroundings. 

• The first issue, as I understand it, connects to his fit with a new culture that draws hard lines on toughness and accountability. The second and third can be drawn from there. 

• On the former—toughness—Carr has had a reputation for not hanging in the pocket, letting plays develop and taking a hit to strike downfield. That showed at times. One was against the Steelers in Week 16, on third-and-5 in the fourth quarter, with 3:07 left. The Steelers got pushed up the middle and rather than hold the ball and buy time, Carr quickly threw it over Davante Adams’s head and into the bench area—when Adams was in single coverage and would’ve had a chance to make a play downfield. Other issues from earlier in his career (like his ability to play in the cold) resurfaced, as well.

• On the latter—accountability—there was a feeling, among coaches and players, that Carr hadn’t shouldered his share of the blame for the mountain of close losses that piled up over the weeks, with the Thursday-night loss to the Rams, a prime example.

• The fourth element I could ascertain was an ability to make the plays to turn close losses into wins, with Carr missing a wide-open Hunter Renfrow high on his game-sealing pick in Pittsburgh as the most recent example.

• And fifth, and this relates back to knowing when to take risks with the ball, is how much the Raiders were able to get from Adams in his first season. Adams’s numbers, to be sure, were fantastic with Carr in there (88 catches, 1,290 yards, 12 TDs). But even still, there was a lot of meat left on the bone with Vegas’s headlining acquisition of 2022.

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Breer on the Carr-Raiders divorce: Carr is soft(?), lacks accountability, and is bad in the clutch%

Well, there are a few reasons for it, beyond just his 63–79 record as a starter, which, to be fair, is in part on him and in part a product of his surroundings. 

• The first issue, as I understand it, connects to his fit with a new culture that draws hard lines on toughness and accountability. The second and third can be drawn from there. 

• On the former—toughness—Carr has had a reputation for not hanging in the pocket, letting plays develop and taking a hit to strike downfield. That showed at times. One was against the Steelers in Week 16, on third-and-5 in the fourth quarter, with 3:07 left. The Steelers got pushed up the middle and rather than hold the ball and buy time, Carr quickly threw it over Davante Adams’s head and into the bench area—when Adams was in single coverage and would’ve had a chance to make a play downfield. Other issues from earlier in his career (like his ability to play in the cold) resurfaced, as well.

• On the latter—accountability—there was a feeling, among coaches and players, that Carr hadn’t shouldered his share of the blame for the mountain of close losses that piled up over the weeks, with the Thursday-night loss to the Rams, a prime example.

• The fourth element I could ascertain was an ability to make the plays to turn close losses into wins, with Carr missing a wide-open Hunter Renfrow high on his game-sealing pick in Pittsburgh as the most recent example.

• And fifth, and this relates back to knowing when to take risks with the ball, is how much the Raiders were able to get from Adams in his first season. Adams’s numbers, to be sure, were fantastic with Carr in there (88 catches, 1,290 yards, 12 TDs). But even still, there was a lot of meat left on the bone with Vegas’s headlining acquisition of 2022.

Carr was drafted in 2014.  Since that time, the Raiders have never finished higher than 20th in points allowed.

During that same time, their defense has ranked 25th or worse five times in points allowed.

2 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

This team is screwed either way.

Everyone said Saleh and Douglas were trying their careers to ZW even before we drafted him. He busted, they will both be gone in 24.

Some people also say the earth is flat and birds aren't real.

People saying/believing stupid stuff doesn't mean Joe D is getting the boot.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The idea that fans turn their noses up at Carr because he’s not elite enough is crazy. This is a big problem for the Jets and their fans. So busy chasing the rare and elite so much that we forget that it’s OK to get good consistent production. So busy aiming high that when you miss, you are a miserable franchise.

The Jets could waste their current talent, continue to miss the playoffs, and try to tank for a new QB just for them to bust out. Or they could plug the issue right now. Carr could give the Jets 5 years of rock solid QB play and would probably break all of the Jets passing records relatively quickly.

This is a no brainer. Kirk Cousins gets bashed the same way and has been playing for the 1 seed in the NFC all year. No brainer.

We're going to get locked into a long-term deal with a lot of guaranteed money for a guy who just isn't "the guy".  He's already on the downside and will only get worse with time.

If they want to aim big (e.g. TB12, Aaron Rodgers), I'm fine with that.  But barring that, just find a guy (hopefully with some upside) who we won't be locked into.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We're going to get locked into a long-term deal with a lot of guaranteed money for a guy who just isn't "the guy".  He's already on the downside and will only get worse with time.

If they want to aim big (e.g. TB12, Aaron Rodgers), I'm fine with that.  But barring that, just find a guy (hopefully with some upside) who we won't be locked into.

Define the guy - IMO having the guy at QB means you don’t have to worry about the position, which the Jets wouldn’t for 5+ years. He’s 31 and in the prime of his career, he’s not on the downside. Brady and Rodgers are as they approach 40 and 50. I understand there’s different levels of ‘the guy’. Carr isn’t Mahomes but he can certainly be a fringe top 10 QB right away.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Define the guy - IMO having the guy at QB means you don’t have to worry about the position, which the Jets wouldn’t for 5+ years. He’s 31 and in the prime of his career, he’s not on the downside. Brady and Rodgers are as they approach 40 and 50. I understand there’s different levels of ‘the guy’. Carr isn’t Mahomes but he can certainly be a fringe top 10 QB right away.

If that was true then why would the Raiders release him?  Even if they were a rebuilding team they'd want to keep or trade him.  

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

For the people who are saying that Carr doesnt fix anything or isnt very good, etc what exactly are you all proposing?

Mike White - I think that ship has sailed

Aaron Rogers - sure, lets give up multiple firsts, huge cap hits and pray that he even remotely cares about football?

Minshew - played bad yesterday so he obviously sucks

1st round draft pick - sure, lets overdraft someone in the middle of the first round 

Derek Carr isnt great, that is why he is available, if he was a cant miss, definitive help to the team, then he wouldnt be available.  This team needs to do something to fix QB and I dont think firing Saleh is the answer so the next "big move" will be to make a splash move at QB and Carr is likely the best possibility of a mediocore bunch.

We are going to watch Jimmy G get hurt the first month of the season and Zach will play the rest of the year. 

Spoiler alert, it won't go well 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

So, Carr just failed in an offense that was 10x more talented than the Jets but he should revitalize our offense which got worse as the year went on.

Is that what you're saying?

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

I doubt anyone (QB) fixes this immediately until we have a competent OC. Boy wonder's big brother went into GB and started a feud with Arron Rodgers (who interestingly said the offense needed to be simplified and talked about execution (sounds familiar))... If that doesn't strike one as an ego situation (my scheme is bigger than the team) than what does, and it seems to run in the family.