Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

19 hours ago, peebag said:

So, Carr just failed in an offense that was 10x more talented than the Jets but he should revitalize our offense which got worse as the year went on.

Is that what you're saying?

100’s of posts blaming MLF for the Jets issues.  
Maybe we need to look at MacDaniels for Carr having the worst season of his career outside of his rookie season.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My take is that the Jets are going to spend a lot of money to move from the 38th best quarterback in the sport to the 18th best quarterback in the sport

Under MacDaniels Carr ranked 18th, his worst season since his rookie year.  
Then there’s the options, which are better?  

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Probably, but isn’t this the narrative that’s been around Carr forever? I don’t dislike him, but I dislike the idea of giving him tens of millions of dollars and expecting any different than he provided the Raiders

Thanks for pulling that Breer notes. I totally agree, i'm not opposed to Carr as he'd be the best QB we've had since Favre which is pathetic.

However, I am opposed to trading ANY significant assets for him. As far as contract, the money is less important than the structure of the guarantees. If they do offer him a contract, it better have outs for performance. I see Carr as a good stop gap at best, a potential disaster compounding the Zach disaster at worst.

• Upvote 2

Bottom line, you bring in Derek Carr and the Jets are a playoff team next year unless the OL just gets completely ravaged by injuries again.

Again, a QB like Carr is nothing to sneeze at.

You immediately gain a guy who is still only 31 and has repeatedly shown that he can complete 65% of his passes and give you 4,000+ through the air and 25+ TD’s a year in addition to being about as durable as they come at the position.

He’d immediately become the best QB the Jets have had since Namath and he’s young enough to be here for 5+ years.

A helluva lot worse options to hitch our wagon to. Like 90% of the alternatives being mentioned around here.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 2

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My take is that the Jets are going to spend a lot of money to move from the 38th best quarterback in the sport to the 18th best quarterback in the sport

Unless JD and Saleh are crazy enough to hitch their wagon to White/Wilson in '23, the Jets will be spending money on a veteran QB this year. You overpay for QB's, that's just how it goes. We're not going to get a top 10 QB unless somehow Rodgers shakes free, which could happen.

18th best is debatable but I think it's fair to say he's typically a middle of the pack guy (averages 15th best qb rating in the league if you remove his rookie season). He has a top 10 ceiling (2016, 19 & 20). All this offense needs is competent QB play from someone how is consistently available. Carr has been an iron man. We need a guy to go out there and distribute the football to play makers every week.

I like QB rating when evaluating a qb because it takes several metrics into account. It falls apart when you're looking at a guy who's run game adds a lot of value but that obviously isn't the case here.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Bottom line, you bring in Derek Carr and the Jets are a playoff team next year unless the OL just gets completely ravaged by injuries again.

Again, a QB like Carr is nothing to sneeze at.

You immediately gain a guy who is still only 31 and has repeatedly shown that he can complete 65% of his passes and give you 4,000+ through the air and 25+ TD’s a year in addition to being about as durable as they come at the position.

He’d immediately become the best QB the Jets have had since Namath and he’s young enough to be here for 5+ years.

A helluva lot worse options to hitch our wagon to. Like 90% of the alternatives being mentioned around here.

Pretty much this.

Will we win a Super Bowl with Carr? Probably not. I don’t see him as the “long term” answer here.

But he’d instantly be the best QB the Jets have had in my lifetime. I’m not thinking “Super Bowl” I’m thinking “competence” and I think Carr brings that here right away.

• Upvote 3

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty much this.

Will we win a Super Bowl with Carr? Probably not. I don’t see him as the “long term” answer here.

But he’d instantly be the best QB the Jets have had in my lifetime. I’m not thinking “Super Bowl” I’m thinking “competence” and I think Carr brings that here right away.

Agreed

I think Carr at least gives you a shot at a possible Super Bowl provided that Douglas or whoever is in charge can continue to build a solid foundation through the draft. But at the very least, he should provide a guy who knows his ass from his elbow and should have the Jets in consistent playoff contention over the coming years.

At least a QB like Carr makes the Jets respectable again.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty much this.

Agreed.  Problem is, any QB name you throw out right now(at least any realistic option) is going to be a "probably not" to that same question.  Brady, Rodgers, Jimmy G.  Only guy who would give us better odds than that IMO would be Lamar Jackson, who will cost us multiple 1st rounders, OR finally hitting on a QB via the draft.  The latter has proven near impossible, and the former is most likely too expensive....trade value-wise and cap-wise.  That leaves Carr, or a guy like Dalton and invest heavy in Zach for one more year.  

Either way, I don't envy JD right now.  There's no "perfect" decision here where everyone is happy.  Carr is probably the one that will have the least amount of people upset, but it will still get it's fair share of hate. 

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Agreed.  Problem is, any QB name you throw out right now(at least any realistic option) is going to be a "probably not" to that same question.  Brady, Rodgers, Jimmy G.  Only guy who would give us better odds than that IMO would be Lamar Jackson, who will cost us multiple 1st rounders, OR finally hitting on a QB via the draft.  The latter has proven near impossible, and the former is most likely too expensive....trade value-wise and cap-wise.  That leaves Carr, or a guy like Dalton and invest heavy in Zach for one more year.  

Either way, I don't envy JD right now.  There's no "perfect" decision here where everyone is happy.  Carr is probably the one that will have the least amount of people upset, but it will still get it's fair share of hate. 

The only way teams land a true long term SB caliber guy is the draft. 

I’m just so sick of watching rookie QBs suck I want a known entity that will run a passable NFL offense.

Worries me that he's been in steady decline for the past 2 years. He's a good QB - I think better than 18th at his best but if his level keep regressing at this rate then he could be a potentially disastrous investment.

He has been royally screwed in Oakland though - They only once provided him with a top 20 defence (It was 20th) and when they did they won 12 games. I think his teams have given up the most PPG of any QB since the merger so it wouldn't be hard to improve on that. 

The make up of the contract would be critical. You'd want some outs as well some incentives. 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The only way teams land a true long term SB caliber guy is the draft. 

I’m just so sick of watching rookie QBs suck I want a known entity that will run a passable NFL offense.

I feel your pain.  I know it feels like this is a "Jet thing" but this happens to every team as well, outside of like Green Bay who can apparently do no wrong with whoever they draft at QB.  Every team sucks at drafting QBs until they hit.  We will.....eventually....I just hope I'm still alive to see it when it happens.

I think the other guy in the other thread had the right idea.  Bring in Dalton; bring in a QB coach for Zach and invest heavy into him for ONE more year.  If he still isn't the guy, try your luck again in the '24 draft, which appears to be a safer bet for QBs than '23.  I fully expect that after typing that though, that Anthony Richardson will be a perennial pro-bowler and whoever we take in '24 will suck.

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty much this.

Yup.  We need a veteran who gives us a baseline of competent NFL play.  Carr does that.  But he also does not preclude is from continuing the search for the long term high upside starter.

The Chiefs had Alex Smith to give them competent play and get them to the playoffs until they found Patrick Mahomes.  That is what we can get from a guy like Carr, until we find our version of Mahomes. 

12 straight years of sitting home duirng playoff season is way too much.  At the very least we need a competent NFL starter who can win 10 or 11 games with this roster and get us to the postseason.  I think Carr can be that guy.

• Upvote 4

Do we lose each game vs the Pats, do we lose to Jax, Seattle etc with Carr?  I think we beat the Pats twice and one of the others plus maybe Minny.  
No fire JD or Saleh talk, the whole Jet world changes.  
But we don’t want it for some reason. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Do we lose each game vs the Pats, do we lose to Jax, Seattle etc with Carr?  I think we beat the Pats twice and one of the others plus maybe Minny.  

Yet I see other threads with people saying to bring in andy dalton and jacoby brissett...its a mad mad mad mad world.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Perfect, exactly what we should be doing. You aren't actually worried about spending Woody's money are you? And Carr is more like a historical 12-14th best QB in the sport.

• Upvote 1

The last 2 losses have less to do with “watching the tape and making corrections” and more to do with looking inside.

You got players showing up to the Jacksonville game in bunny suits and doing pregame warmups in a freaking full Grinch costume. 

In terms of effort and energy and focus, in Seattle both sides of the ball looked like they would rather be anywhere else than on a football field.

Maybe they partied on NYE.

Not having his team ready to play falls squarely on the supposed “leader of men” head coach.

Derek Carr ain’t fixing that.

32 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Worries me that he's been in steady decline for the past 2 years. He's a good QB - I think better than 18th at his best but if his level keep regressing at this rate then he could be a potentially disastrous investment.

He has been royally screwed in Oakland though - They only once provided him with a top 20 defence (It was 20th) and when they did they won 12 games. I think his teams have given up the most PPG of any QB since the merger so it wouldn't be hard to improve on that. 

The make up of the contract would be critical. You'd want some outs as well some incentives. 

Last year Carr had his best yardage #’s, 4800.  He was at 68 comp %.  24TDs and 14 picks.  Only # that was down was his QBR went down from over 100 to 90’s.  

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Counter argument: half the board is retarded

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Not having his team ready to play falls squarely on the supposed “leader of men” head coach.

Both Bart Scott and W Colon said that’s BS.  That if players don’t know what’s on the line or don’t care about busting it to make the playoffs no coach is going to change that.  They’re men who know.  

Some may not care much about this and I get that, but I turned on WFAN and I heard the end of a conversation where I think Boomer Esiason was saying that Derek Carr would not be a good fit here in New York cause of the personality. I think he was hinting that the New York media would eat him alive. Not sure if I heard it correctly but i'm pretty sure that's what he was saying.

It's just his opinion and he could be wrong but I do think whoever we bring in, it needs to be taken into account that being the QB of the New York Jets is not easy. Gotta find the right guy. Jimmy G feels like the better fit to me. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pretty much this.

Add me to the list of agreeing.

Brady/Rodgers - not coming here.

Carr is a quality QB - not top 5 elite as the experts like to say but certainly a QB you can win with.

Unless something shakes out that is simply not on the radar right now - he seems to be the logical choice.    

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Some may not care much about this and I get that, but I turned on WFAN and I heard the end of a conversation where I think Boomer Esiason was saying that Derek Carr would not be a good fit here in New York cause of the personality. I think he was hinting that the New York media would eat him alive. Not sure if I heard it correctly but i'm pretty sure that's what he was saying.

It's just his opinion and he could be wrong but I do think whoever we bring in, it needs to be taken into account that being the QB of the New York Jets is not easy. Gotta find the right guy. Jimmy G feels like the better fit to me. 

Lots of Raiders fans feel like this about him

He will be crying on the podium by week 8

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Both Bart Scott and W Colon said that’s BS.  That if players don’t know what’s on the line or don’t care about busting it to make the playoffs no coach is going to change that.  They’re men who know.  

Tiki Barber said the opposite and I agree with him.

Teams take on the personality of their head coach. 

Saleh himself has been repeating “it’s not about the playoffs”.

Sauce answered a question the other day using Saleh’s “keep the main thing the main thing”.

Saleh has looked lifeless and defeated the last month.  You think the players don’t pick up on that vibe?

It's funny now hearing so many people argue for what I argued for year ago with Kirk Cousins.

Many of them folks who vehmently disagreed with me back then, and were all in on Zach Wilson, lol.

Except now they want to do it for a worse QB, for likely more money, at a worse portion of that QB's career, lol.

With that said, Carr, while a risk, is miles better than Wilson at his best.  And we have to do something.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

problem with Jimmy G is he can't stay healthy

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Second opinion I’ve heard on Carr being a big softy …