Derek Carr fixes this immediately

AFJF

9 hours ago, usanyj said:

The pats let Brady walk, and he still had high level play in him, as he won the super bowl in tampa. I don't see your point. 

The raiders don't want to pay him and are likely going to blow it up.  Why not let him go and go the cheap draft route if you want to start over?  Thats the logical choice.

BB thought TB12 was done.  He was wrong.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Bart Scott said today that Carr is only going to cost about a 4th.

Because they know if they don’t get something he walks for free…

honestly what carr should do is refuse any trade and force them to release him so he can go where he wants.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I think there is a good shot he ends up in Vegas but Brady/Rodgers will 100% be in the conversation. It wouldn't shock me if they are higher than on the list than Carr.

I could see Brady teaming up with Sean Payton somewhere.  I know Bill Simmons rumored that tandem to the Jets but I'm not holding my breath.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could see Brady teaming up with Sean Payton somewhere.  I know Bill Simmons rumored that tandem to the Jets but I'm not holding my breath.

The only reason I don't want Brady is because it would be more about him than about NY if we were to win a SB. If we don't win a SB then we are a team so desperate we signed our rival and couldn't even get there.

I see how it makes sense, would rather he chose somewhere else though.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

The only reason I don't want Brady is because it would be more about him than about NY if we were to win a SB. If we don't win a SB then we are a team so desperate we signed our rival and couldn't even get there.

I see how it makes sense, would rather he chose somewhere else though.

I hear you.  But I really just want to win one.   :)

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I think the other guy in the other thread had the right idea.  Bring in Dalton; bring in a QB coach for Zach and invest heavy into him for ONE more year. 

This is the absolute worst case scenario. 

The good news is this will obviously end with Douglas and Saleh getting fired so they probably won’t go this direction.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Eh, you are being pretty hard on Carr. He's not elite, but he's not a "bad" QB. His lifetime numbers would make him the best QB we've had since . . . ?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrDe02.htm

He'll be paid like he's elite though.  Years, AAV, guaranteed money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

His agent knows we're desperate for a QB.  I don't think there's any "probably" about it.

For me, it comes down to being realistic. Hard to imagine a better QB coming here. The shortest path to the playoffs is to land best QB we can in FA, retool the OL, and get Breece Hall back healthy. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

His agent knows we're desperate for a QB.  I don't think there's any "probably" about it.

when you absolutely suck at drafting QB's for decades and a 2nd tier QB  comes up for grabs, ya, you going to pay a lot. at least you wont have to wince and close your eyes every time Zack/White drops back to pass

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

But was that Carr's fault?  Raiders defenses have been putrid for most of Carr's temure.  Never had a defense in the top 20 in points allowed, including 3 years at 30 or below.  He has had some really nice years. 

Carr is not a long term answer, and I don't want to give up picks and assume a $40M per year contract -- that is a non-starter for me.  But if he is released, and  we can get him on a multi year deal with limited guarantees (which is what he signed with the Raiders), I would be willing to roll the dice on him as a short term competent starter while we continue to look for a long term answer in the draft.

The fear I’d have is that you’re not going to have room to hedge in that multi-year deal, given that Carr just got hugely burned on a hedgy multi-year deal. He’s either going to get a big guarantee somewhere *or* the concerns about his viability as a three+ year starter will be borne out, imo. It just seems like the story of Carr has been consistent—bit of a stat-hanger, not much of an inspirational leader. Maybe that’s just narrative, or maybe it’s just anti-Raider bias. I’m just a little concerned about the Jets, once again, being the rube that opts to pick up the stained mattress they found lying on the curb and, later, finding out why it was on the curb in the first place. 

49 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They're not cutting him.  And they probably want him back but he might not want to come back.

But his 2023 salary of $31M becomes guaranteed on 2/15.  If they cut him before then, they only eat $5.6M dead cap.  If he is still on their roster on the 15th, his cap hit goes up to $36M.  The good news is if he is going to be traded or released, it will likely happen before the 15th so this would not drag on all offseason.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

For me, it comes down to being realistic. Hard to imagine a better QB coming here. The shortest path to the playoffs is to land best QB we can in FA, retool the OL, and get Breece Hall back healthy. 

As good of an offseason as he had last year, JD is going to need to have a better one this coming offseason (and with fewer draft picks).  This is where JD is going to have to earn his salary.

I hate the idea of Carr because I don't see us getting very far with him but he'll be an anchor around this team for the contract he'll be demanding.  I want us to swing big with TB12 or Rodgers or else go for a discount guy that can give us a professional at the position but who we won't be locked into long-term (like an Andy Dalton type) and we can try to figure something out next year.  We're way too good to get the #1 overall pick for Caleb Williams though so not sure where the heck we're going to find a championship caliber QB.  I guess that's the dilemma that most teams have though.

But it really kind of puts us in the middle of nowhere as a franchise.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The fear I’d have is that you’re not going to have room to hedge in that multi-year deal, given that Carr just got hugely burned on a hedgy multi-year deal. He’s either going to get a big guarantee somewhere *or* the concerns about his viability as a three+ year starter will be borne out, imo. It just seems like the story of Carr has been consistent—bit of a stat-hanger, not much of an inspirational leader. Maybe that’s just narrative, or maybe it’s just anti-Raider bias. I’m just a little concerned about the Jets, once again, being the rube that opts to pick up the stained mattress they found lying on the curb and, later, finding out why it was on the curb in the first place. 

I'm not sure whether to give you the laugh emoji or POTW.   That last sentence is pure T0mShane gold. 

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Stidham looked pretty good Sunday against SF. Why pay Carr 40 million when you found a diamond in the rough for $500,000? If Stidham looked as impressive all season  in practice as he did on Sunday, its a no brainer to replace Carr before he stubs a toe

edit.fixed now in english.lol

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

An QB that's expensive but has absolutely zero trade value?  This doesn't add up.

He has a no trade clause and is being paid more than he’s worth on his current contract. 

The coach wants to start fresh and doesn’t have a track record of making rational decisions 

I heard somewhere that he needs to be cut/traded right after the superbowl so not a lot of time to make a decision 

will they hold on to him and try for a trade? Maybe 

Will they just cut him and save the cap space maybe.