OK fellas, let's talk draft

9 minutes ago, slats said:

If you bring in Carr, you spend whatever’s left of your draft capital on the rest of the team around him, not his backup. Carr would be brought in to be the starter, not a placeholder. 

Carr isn't an elite QB. We aren't going to a SB with him. He is exactly that, a place holder. 

• Upvote 1

The best hope for this team to be a consistent winner is improve the line play on both sides of the ball. I agree with the notion we need to invest in DT and OL and allow those units to dominate. Let’s build a good team before we bring in another rookie. Also, I don’t really want Lafleur providing input on the next rookie QB, so they should wait until he’s gone.

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What position is going to save their job? Who in this draft guarantees a playoff spot next season. That is the only thing that keeps everyone employed. We don't  make a playoff appearance  next year, all of them are on the bubble. This was a total collapse.  This team gave away multiple games this season. Therr was no excuse for losing both Pat games, the Lions, Jax, even yesterday.  Whoninbthe draft fixes that

Let’s say you use a draft pick in the second round on an offensive linemen. That pick can immediately be put into the starting line up. In theory, it improves your blocking for the 2023 season. Now let’s say you draft a project qb in the second round. He has to sit for a year or two. That pick will not improve this team for the 2023 season. You’re thinking long term, the staff is worried about the now. They don’t have the same security as they did in years 1 and 2. It’s win or you’re out. 

We have more needs than many will want to admit.

Pretty much anything, anywhere, outside of a few positions (G.Wilson, Sauce) would be an upgrade or insurance for injury.

With that said, the key need, QB, I do not believe we have the ammo to solve, or the coaching staff to solve it, via the 2023 NFL Draft.

It's recycled JAG's for us in 2023, or Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We have more needs than many will want to admit.

Pretty much anything, anywhere, outside of a few positions (G.Wilson, Sauce) would be an upgrade or insurance for injury.

We do need WR, because there's no way we are keeping, nor should we, Davis Mims and Berrios.

The Jets need to address the Oline with their first pick!!! Becton can't be counted on at this point and should be moved to the Guard position on the oline. With the second pick the Jets can draft a LB either a ILB to replace Moseley or OLB for Williams. 

Here is a Free Agent tracker for 2023: (not mentioned are the players that are going to be cut)

2023 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

So far if you look at the veteran Free Agents there are a few

12 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Let’s say you use a draft pick in the second round on an offensive linemen. That pick can immediately be put into the starting line up. In theory, it improves your blocking for the 2023 season. Now let’s say you draft a project qb in the second round. He has to sit for a year or two. That pick will not improve this team for the 2023 season. You’re thinking long term, the staff is worried about the now. They don’t have the same security as they did in years 1 and 2. It’s win or you’re out. 

It is one of 2 picks and OT is a crap shoot. There are about as many high pick busts as their are solid players. The draft is a crap shoot. 

5 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

We do need WR, because there's no way we are keeping, nor should we, Davis Mims and Berrios.

For clarity, I wasn't saying we didn't need WR or CB, just that #1 WR and #1 CB are some of the only "safe" positions where we do not need to seek upgrades.  Apologies if I wasn't more clear.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, AL047 said:

The Jets need to address the Oline with their first pick!!! Becton can't be counted on at this point and should be moved to the Guard position on the oline. With the second pick the Jets can draft a LB either a ILB to replace Moseley or OLB for Williams. 

Here is a Free Agent tracker for 2023: (not mentioned are the players that are going to be cut)

2023 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

So far if you look at the veteran Free Agents there are a few

Except for Chark, I don't  see any upgrades at WR

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

The last 4 losses they allowed 23, 20, 20, and 19 points. All while the offense consistently putting them in bad positions. The defense, while it could get better, is def not the problem. There are plenty of teams winning games allowing far more points. The offense is the problem.

I don't agree because of when the points were happening.  The D has been FLAT the 1st halves of the past 5 games.  They get better when the opposition realizes they don't have to score anymore because our offense is atrocious.  Teams get 4-5 yeards every first down run on us.  That needs to stop.  Our DBs are awesome.  Everything else aside from Q is weak. 

a real ball hawk safety would do wonders for this team that got no takeaways all year

size upfront on the D line. the dirty secret all year was that the jets were small and could be pushed around by running teams and big RB's

OL depth, and probably at least 1 starter (maybe 2 if we dont resign the center)

an actual big body receiver who can catch and stay on the field...bye corey davis and denzel sucks balls mims

linebacker depth....that unit is always 1 injury away from starting a high school player

no way these guys draft a QB...for the love of god.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

I don't agree because of when the points were happening.  The D has been FLAT the 1st halves of the past 5 games.  They get better when the opposition realizes they don't have to score anymore because our offense is atrocious.  Teams get 4-5 yeards every first down run on us.  That needs to stop.  Our DBs are awesome.  Everything else aside from Q is weak. 

exactly. the jags could have scored 40 if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It is one of 2 picks and OT is a crap shoot. There are about as many high pick busts as their are solid players. The draft is a crap shoot. 

That’s why I said in theory. They would be better suited drafting players that should be able to play immediately.  Drafting a qb in the second round doesn’t help them produce in the 2023 season. An o linemen could. Drafting strategies change when you’re job is on the line.

29 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

You can also lump in the lack of turnovers as well. When there is no pressure to score, offenses can play very conservative. 

I think it has to be offensive tackle if one is on the board worthy of the pick. 

Paris Johnson Jr. from Ohio State would be my pick if he's there. Not sure if he'll be there when the Jets are on the clock though. 

Best way for the Jets to turn this around quick is to have a monster offensive line for Breece/Carter/Bam to run behind.

Paris Johnson Jr./AVT/ and even possibly Becton would give them a great foundation there. Becton could start the year as the RT and if he breaks down you have Max Mitchell as a backup. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, extmenace said:

That’s why I said in theory. They would be better suited drafting players that should be able to play immediately.  Drafting a qb in the second round doesn’t help them produce in the 2023 season. An o linemen could. Drafting strategies change when you’re job is on the line.

I think it all comes down to who the Jets get in FA. If the best QB we get in Minshew,  we probably need to get more OL because he is the same as Zach, bad under pressure. If we get Carr, I think Carr is the guy for the next 2 or 3 seasons and will be able to function with what we have. Carr would give is the luxury to pick a guy and have him sit for a year or 2 and I personally  think a guy like Hooker is perfect. Sits and heals up while learning and Carr instantly makes the QB position respectable. I personally think when AVT and Becton are on the OL, there will be an upgrade. If we get a left or right tackle in the draft, resign Herbig, pickup someone like Kelce or Bradbury in FA at C and the OL is light years ahead of where it is now. 

3 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Who is saying the playoffs are guaranteed?  But it’s obviously more likely with a contributing second round pick than a QB holding a clipboard by design

If we take a vet QB, it won't  matter. When was the last time before Breece Hall you saw a second round pick have an impact as a Jet. 

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If we take a vet QB, it won't  matter. When was the last time before Breece Hall you saw a second round pick have an impact as a Jet. 

Before last year’s OROY candidate that was probably our team MVP before the injury?  If your premise is that historically our 2nd round picks haven’t panned out, but then ignore taking probably the best player in the draft in the 2nd round I can’t help you.  Elijah Moore from 2 years ago also says hello.

2nd rounders are meant to contribute right away.  This team taking a project QB to sit and learn (learn from who by the way?  You still haven’t answered who is magically turning this 2nd round rookie with backup reps into an NFL starter) in the 2nd round is asinine.  

11 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Before last year’s OROY candidate that was probably our team MVP before the injury?  If your premise is that historically our 2nd round picks haven’t panned out, but then ignore taking probably the best player in the draft in the 2nd round I can’t help you.  Elijah Moore from 2 years ago also says hello.

2nd rounders are meant to contribute right away.  This team taking a project QB to sit and learn (learn from who by the way?  You still haven’t answered who is magically turning this 2nd round rookie with backup reps into an NFL starter) in the 2nd round is asinine.  

Are yountalking about Breece Hall, the guy that I mentioned in my post? Also, Moore had an ok uear last season. I wouldn't  say he had an impact on any game.  First rounders are also supposed to contribute right away yet Trey Lance and Maholmes both sat out the rookie year. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Are yountalking about Breece Hall, the guy that I mentioned in my post? Also, Moore had an ok uear last season. I wouldn't  say he had an impact on any game.  First rounders are also supposed to contribute right away yet Trey Lance and Maholmes both sat out the rookie year. 

The point you are still not understanding is that Saleh won’t have the luxury to sit a first or second round draft pick because:

1) The team is full of holes that need to be filled with better football players.  We need new OL (G, OT, and possibly C based on what we do with McGovern)., LB, S, WR

2) He is not Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan who had the utmost job security when they made the picks of Lance and Mahomes and could afford to sit them for a year.

So, in no form of reality will the Jets spend a 2nd round pick on a QB with the plan of having him sit.  It’s not going to happen no matter how stubborn you are on a message board.

If the Jets pick a QB in the first 2 rounds this April, it will be with the plan to start that player.  But, they won’t even do that because I believe JD knows he can’t trust this staff to develop a QB.  We will go the veteran route and just hope JD picks the right one

3 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

The point you are still not understanding is that Saleh won’t have the luxury to sit a first or second round draft pick because:

1) The team is full of holes that need to be filled with better football players.  We need new OL (G, OT, and possibly C based on what we do with McGovern)., LB, S, WR

2) He is not Andy Reid or Kyle Shanahan who had the utmost job security when they made the picks of Lance and Mahomes and could afford to sit them for a year.

So, in no form of reality will the Jets spend a 2nd round pick on a QB with the plan of having him sit.  It’s not going to happen no matter how stubborn you are on a message board.

If the Jets pick a QB in the first 2 rounds this April, it will be with the plan to start that player.  But, they won’t even do that because I believe JD knows he can’t trust this staff to develop a QB.  We will go the veteran route and just hope JD picks the right one

We don't  agree on the QB

I don't want us to draft a QB. We need to go the veteran route.

My top 2 needs are WR and DT.

The OL needs to add depth, but I think when healthy it’s fine

Duane Brown, Tomlinson, McGovern (resign), and AVT

RT: Let Becton and Mitchell fight it out

Bench: Herbig

Draft in the 2-4 round range a LT and Center

WR: draft an outside WR in the 2-3 range

WR: Wilson, Moore, Mims, Day 2 pick, Berrios and Smith

DT: I think this is where the 1st round pick should go. Need plus quality players at the top of the draft. Get someone next to Q and the pass rush will be more consistent.

Use the rest of the picks on LB and Safeties.

Offensive tackle obviously should be in play if one of the good ones is there. Same with wide receiver if the right one is available.

Team needs playmakers. Thinking offense but really both sides. It was so much easier to score with Hall healthy. Stresses defenses and creates big plays. Hall and Wilson are a start but no need to stop there. Keep moving in that direction.

I wouldn’t take a LB in the first, not premium and the recent track record has been brutal. It’s an odd mix of needing tools and instincts and I think scouts just mess it up a lot or tools go too high, not sure which. It is a need though. Safety if there’s an absolute ball hawk then it’s okay I guess because it would really elevate the defense but again it’s non premium, I think it’s too risky. Would need to be a home run.

The Jets can take a QB in the first they can’t play him. Like, at all. Need two guys on the roster and the rookie needs to be inactive.

Think teams that have made the switch at QB effectively, both veteran and draft picks, have mostly built up their roster, figured out where QB play limits them, and then found someone effective and plopped them in. I guess Tampa did this with Winston but I tend to associate this more with the Alex Smith’s of the world. 

It’s kind of boring but I think going that route and continuing to build is the right move. I don’t know who the most Alex Smith quarterback out there is, I think it’s Jacoby Brissett. Otherwise shy of a risky move like a trade for Rodgers or Jordan Love, which I’d understand conceptually even though it’s a gamble, I think a big QB acquisition is just setting up for disappointment.

That’s not to say this regime is right for any of that, but I don’t think the team is good enough that there’s a quick fix who’s going to make them a Super Bowl contender. Need more offensive playmakers, better OL play, and improvements in the middle of the defense in addition to QB.

• Upvote 1