Woody Speaks: No playoff mandate

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm still not over the uniform changes Chris picked 

Chris Johnson, probably while listening to his Don Johnson cassette and wearing cool shades, acid-washed jeans and capezzios, looked into East Bay catalogue and picked out the coolest duds that your local high school could afford. AND BLACK! 

So what if you had the classiest uniforms in the NFL, along with some shred of good history. BLACK IS SO COOL, MAN!

1980s-mens-fashion

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Chris Johnson, probably while listening to his Don Johnson cassette and wearing cool shades, acid-washed jeans and capezzios, looked into East Bay catalogue and picked out the coolest duds that your local high school could afford. AND BLACK! 

So what if you had the classiest uniforms in the NFL, along with some shred of good history. BLACK IS SO COOL, MAN!

1980s-mens-fashion

It’s almost worth a planet killing asteroid destroying the earth because those abominable uniforms will also be erased from existence 

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I don't think Woody would have announced a mandate regardless....

He never did such a thing for the other bozos of yesteryear when they were on thin ice

He wasn't going to announce that there wasn't either, but he had a prepared answer because his advisors told him the question was coming.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is scoring under 17 PPG and being almost top of the league in punts acceptable to you?

In the games in question, the Jets O scored...17 points (Detroit) and 3 lousy points (New England). 

Scoring that low, you're usually going to lose.

And the Detroit TD return was at 6:00 in the FIRST quarter and the score was 7-0.  Plenty of time for the O, if remotely competent, to make up for it when playing the 28th/32nd ranked Defense in the NFL ffs.

As I said, the Defense and Specials would have to be perfect, almost every minute of every week, to overcome such anemic offensive output.

By what metric?  Mann had the 4th most punts in the NFL this year, and ranked 17th in Punt Avg.  Middle of the road. 

While he certainly shanked a few, again, he's not the reason we lost games.  And being 4th in the NFL in punts is a clear indication that the Offense is failing at it's basic function.

The Defense (ranked 4th) and Special Teams play in 2022 was acceptable, yes.

The Offense (ranked 29th) was not.

A better Offense gives some room for imperfection in other units.  

If you want to blame the #4 overall Defense in the NFL for losing games when we fielded one of the worst scoring offenses around, year after year after year, that's your choice.  But it's simply not accurate.  

We'd all love more turnover from the D, absolutely.  But I'd like an actual heartbeat from the O more.

Oh yes I will acknowledge that our defense is great stat wise and does not out right lose us games like the offense,, they also do not win us games.   As for Mann, we are proud and happy that his best year is below league average, nice!

Let's put the 6 game end of season slide away in the corner for a moment and look at a couple of other critical games from this year.  That being the two Pats games.

Game one:  Zac Wilson throws for 355 yards and two tds vs a good pats defense.  But the Pats defense pressures or suckers him into throwing 3 ints.  At the same time the Jets force a critical pick 6 early in the game, but they take a terrible roughing the passer penalty negating it.  The Jets lose the turnover battle 3-1 in the game and lose the game by 5 points.  The game was lost due to turnovers.

Game two:  Awful awful game for both teams, offense stinks but teams defense playing great.  To the point it is 3-3 and looking like it is going into ot, the team that makes one good play or a bad play will determine the game.   So with like 18 seconds left instead of giving so much hang time the guy has to fair catch it and you let your defense not allow big yards in 18 seconds, or booming he hell out of punt so the return guy has to run back to get it or kicking it close to the sideline or out of bounds, your punter kicks a return guys dream punt and they run it back.  We lose by the return.

Now in both games the offense had a big part in the loss, to ignore the fact that the defense and specials played a part is just putting your head in the sand.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh yes I will acknowledge that our defense is great stat wise and does not out right lose us games like the offense,, they also do not win us games.

Defense stops opponents from scoring.

If you rely on your Defense to score to win games, you're doing it wrong.

As for Mann, we are proud and happy that his best year is below league average, nice!

Middle-of-the-road, league avg. punters don't cost you seasons or wins.

Let's put the 6 game end of season slide away in the corner for a moment and look at a couple of other critical games from this year.  That being the two Pats games.

Game one:  Zac Wilson throws for 355 yards and two tds vs a good pats defense.  But the Pats defense pressures or suckers him into throwing 3 ints.  At the same time the Jets force a critical pick 6 early in the game, but they take a terrible roughing the passer penalty negating it.  The Jets lose the turnover battle 3-1 in the game and lose the game by 5 points.  The game was lost due to turnovers.

Game two:  Awful awful game for both teams, offense stinks but teams defense playing great.  To the point it is 3-3 and looking like it is going into ot, the team that makes one good play or a bad play will determine the game.   So with like 18 seconds left instead of giving so much hang time the guy has to fair catch it and you let your defense not allow big yards in 18 seconds, or booming he hell out of punt so the return guy has to run back to get it or kicking it close to the sideline or out of bounds, your punter kicks a return guys dream punt and they run it back.  We lose by the return.

Now in both games the offense had a big part in the loss, to ignore the fact that the defense and specials played a part is just putting your head in the sand.

Had the Offense performed anywhere close to average, we win both games.

3 bad INT's and then a 3 points scored game.

Could the Defense or Specials have saved the O?  Sure they could.  Defense is the reason we won as much as we did.

But again, if you require your Defense or Specials to save a near-league-worst O every week, you're doing it wrong.  

The Jets averaged a close to league best low of 18.6 PPG allowed.  That's despite a horrible O who kept the D on the field constantly, and often with bad field position.

The Jets Offense scored a paltry 28 TD's in 2022, good for a tie at 2nd WORST in the NFL.  17.4 PPG earned.  

If our Offense was even close to average for the NFL this year (21.5 PPG earned), we'd have been a playoff team and a contender.

Change The O, we're legit.  Change the D and what, we're better than 4th place overall?  I think not.

3 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Yeah we night have losing season after losing season with no playoffs with another GM!

Oh wait 

So wait, you don’t think we added talent these last two off seasons.  Don’t think the team is getting better and with a competent QB can’t win?

Just no someone else is a better plan.

why not a playoff mandate? they have had more than enough time-dont tolerate losing wooody
Because it gives the media a constant topic to harp on about. It also leads to a potential "yeah but ..." about face if we improve significantly but miss out for whatever reason. E.g. 10-7 but miss on 6th your breaker, or lose the last game due to one significant injury.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

This.

Woody gets a lot of sh*t here and most of it is pretty unwarranted. He might not be the best, or flashiest owner in the league, but he’s far from the worst.

I really like his comment yesterday. Basically ,” I know what the fans want and deserve and I am trying to do everything I can to get it for them.” What else could you ask from the guy? Only results.?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

He’s 13-37 last 3 years.  He cannot evaluate the qb position.  But yeah he drafted a corner and a running back

Really.  He can’t evaluate QBs because he drafted the second QB in a draft who was the consensus 2nd rated QB in the draft.  
Oh and somehow he found your guy, Mike White who was on the scrapyard 

If you think all he drafted was a CB and a RB you need more help Phil.   You would think with all these accounts one would sound sane at this point

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Really.  He can’t evaluate QBs because he drafted the second QB in a draft who was the consensus 2nd rated QB in the draft.  
Oh and somehow he found your guy, Mike White who was on the scrapyard 

If you think all he drafted was a CB and a RB you need more help Phil.   You would think with all these accounts one would sound sane at this point

Zach Wilson is the biggest bust at the qb position in 15 years.  He’s generationally atrocious and proof that most pundits and internet bloggers like yourself have no idea how to evaluate the qb position 

Any other GM wastes the second pick overall on Wilson and goes 13-37 they are automatically fired.  And here you are pretending like JD has a clue

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:42 AM, VJphillyfan said:

Zach Wilson is the biggest bust at the qb position in 15 years.  He’s generationally atrocious and proof that most pundits and internet bloggers like yourself have no idea how to evaluate the qb position 

Any other GM wastes the second pick overall on Wilson and goes 13-37 they are automatically fired.  And here you are pretending like JD has a clue

Zach Wilson if he never throws another pass would be Phil.  But hate to break it to you guys but his career isn’t really over yet.   
It wasn’t internet bloggers you dolt, it was way beyond that, it was people everywhere.  And none of them were me.   But regardless QBs fail, shocking but the Phil’s of the world think it’s only on the Jets.  
Phil, have you picked your next name yet?  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Zach Wilson if he never throws another pass would be Phil.  But hate to break it to you guys but his career isn’t really over yet.   
It wasn’t internet bloggers you dolt, it was way beyond that, it was everywhere.  And none of them were me.   But regardless QBs fail, shocking but the Phil’s of the world think it’s only on the Jets.  
Phil, have you picked your next name yet?  

Zach Wilson sux cawk.  I’d say your clueless but that would be too nice.  You are so without an idea about football it’s to the point of self-parody.

Darrell Bevel is going to salvage Zach Wilson.  Oh my Gawd.  That’s asinine 

5 hours ago, VJphillyfan said:

Zach Wilson sux cawk.  I’d say your clueless but that would be too nice.  You are so without an idea about football it’s to the point of self-parody.

Darrell Bevel is going to salvage Zach Wilson.  Oh my Gawd.  That’s asinine 

I’m clueless?  If you’ve gathered from all my posts that you need to help me on what Zach is or isn’t you’re a bigger dolt than when you were just Phil.  
Amazed when people think making fun of a Bevel, as if he’s unqualified makes them look smart.  
Go make yourself look stupid replying to someone else

On 1/15/2023 at 9:53 AM, Jet Nut said:

I’m clueless?  If you’ve gathered from all my posts that you need to help me on what Zach is or isn’t you’re a bigger dolt than when you were just Phil.  
Amazed when people think making fun of a Bevel, as if he’s unqualified makes them look smart.  
Go make yourself look stupid replying to someone else

You can try to talk up Bevell.  He’s not good and he’s not unpolishing your Zach Diamond