Rosenblatt article on offensive collapse: Zach sucked, players preffered Mike White

T0mShane

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not inclined to give Saleh the benefit of the doubt on anything, but I didn’t see any evidence of this in the story.

Agreed. By all accounts MLF was the passive one. At the end of the day Saleh relies on MLF to run the offense and keep him in the loop on important developments. Instead of addressing necessary beliefs he kept them to himself/told other staffers. I personally believe MLF can be a very good coordinator one day but he lacked the balls to make critical decisions here... 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Rosenblatt had a few things wrong in this article: 

1. Zach intended on addressing the team on Monday after the NE game. He spoke to Saleh first and Saleh told him not to. His PR team said he can apologize in his next press conference, but Zach disagreed with that strategy. 
  2. Only way Zach was sitting on the bench all season is if Mike White kept winning and playing well. Yes, the Jets wanted Zach on the bench all season because that would indicate they were winning with White... they were happy with Zach's performance against the Lions albeit flawed, but when all confidence had seemed to leave him in that Jaguar game, they knew they weren't going to trot him back out there. If Mike White wasn't available for SEA they would've played Flacco. Once they were eliminated and the offensive line was in shambles, they did not see a reason to put either White or Wilson at further risk of injury behind a makeshift OL considering there is a realistic possibility that they will be back next season. 
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Ummmm chode said the plan was to bring him back for the Lions game...but yeah, shocking to find out there was a rift between Zach, coaches and receivers, shocking and definitely required deep state knowledge.

I'd pay money to know how you scored on the reading comprehension section of exams. Full blown crayon eater we have here. 

The earliest Zach was returning to the lineup was against Detroit. The earliest. That did not mean he would be back in the starting lineup for the Lions game. I rationed that he would because I did not expect us to win against Minnesota and Buffalo on the road. Try harder lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I'd pay money to know how you scored on the reading comprehension section of exams. Full blown crayon eater we have here. 

The earliest Zach was returning to the lineup was against Detroit. The earliest. That did not mean he would be back in the starting lineup for the Lions game. I rationed that he would because I did not expect us to win against Minnesota and Buffalo on the road. Try harder lol 

Do you lie in your sleep? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Kind of gives some insight as to how LaFleur was married to his scheme, which was unnecessarily complex - specifically for the receivers. As we saw, many receivers had been in the dog house through MLF's two year stint here, so this isn't shocking. It had never been disclosed publicly, but we had noted a while back that MLF preferred Flacco/White to Zach in his scheme... he handpicked Zach as the QB he wanted to work with, but when Zach wasn't ready to play from within the pocket the way LaFleur wanted him to, it quickly became a "he" problem. In fairness to MLF, he, like many in the Shanahan tree, saw Zach as a player who can be a Patrick Mahomes-type player if he learned how to be like Kirk Cousins or Jimmy Garoppolo or Mike White 80% of the time while being the second-reaction playmaker 20% of the time. I don't think MLF was wrong. Problem? He didn't raise his hand to say "Zach is not ready to start" during his rookie year (he's known to be conflict avoidant) AND didn't really do much to ensure that Zach was improving in the day-to-day QB drills. In short, he didn't really have a plan. 

Again, a lot of fans on here were openly ranting about Zach's tendency to bail out of the pocket. MLF and the coaches would tell Zach to avoid negative plays at all costs- whether it be sacks or turnovers- and throwing the ball away was a win. He was praised for it internally until the first NE game, and when they lost/the heat was turned up on them, LaFleur then told him "don't do that anymore", which gave a ton of mixed messages. It certainly wasn't appreciated by Zach. He wanted answers "why" but was given non-answers by LaFleur. Still, Zach did listen. He adhered to the quick-pass gameplan against Buffalo and they won. Then, after the bye, the gameplan was to attack the Patriots downfield. There's no defending Zach in terms of how he played, excuses for the wind, offensive line play, and his post-game press conference, but the one thing we didn't see out of Zach that we probably could've used? Trying to extend plays outside of the pocket. Instead of rolling out to avoid the sack or throw the ball away, we saw more sacks. I wonder why... 

This has been detailed at nauseum by now. Moore grew frustrated with MLF, namely because he felt MLF was being fake. MLF said Moore was doing everything right to him and publicly, but was telling Miles Austin something else. But every time MLF would talk to Moore, he didn't say he was doing anything wrong. Finally he asked point blank and MLF basically said, wellll you're doing this this and this wrong, which set Moore off. 

As I've explained a few times on here, Zach got to a point where he hated Connor Hughes. Hughes tries to play buddy buddy with the players, but this year particularly he let his ego get the best of him... instead of being fair and rational, Hughes became more of a hot-take artist. After the first NE game, Hughes used the poor performance as an opportunity to character assassinate Zach by calling him immature, entitled, and selfish. Zach and his PR team took extreme exception to that, with his PR manager telling me (paraphrased) "this guy sucks Zach's d**k for the past year constantly asking for favors, and the first opportunity he gets he doesn't even bother to criticize Zach's game, rather, uses it as an opportunity to character assassinate him." If you look back at Zach's media availability between the first NE game and the last one, you'll notice Zach's hostility towards Connor. Doesn't make him right, but figured it adds more context. The one thing I'll saw that's a little inconsistent here: Zach planned to address the team, but Robert Saleh told him to wait (according to Zach's PR team at least).

Woody told LaFleur that he wouldn't be fired and suggested that decision would be left up to Saleh, but made it clear that MLF wouldn't get an extension, which would've meant MLF would spend 2023 as a lame-duck coach. Typically assistants and coordinators get a 2 or 3 year deal (MLF's was 3 years) and unless they wind up being a super-star coordinator, it's commonplace for them to at least have their contract extended for a year to avoid the "lame-duck" situation... sometimes coaches themselves turn down the extension, but its less common that a coordinator is told they won't have a year tacked onto their deal. 

So maybe I am trying to read way too much into this but when Zach all of a sudden was not ready until the Pitt game at the beg of the season, was that really because the docs did not clear him or what that a cover since MLF felt he simply was not ready to run the offense?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

Agreed. By all accounts MLF was the passive one. At the end of the day Saleh relies on MLF to run the offense and keep him in the loop on important developments. Instead of addressing necessary beliefs he kept them to himself/told other staffers. I personally believe MLF can be a very good coordinator one day but he lacked the balls to make critical decisions here... 

Guessing that Saleh's CTV feed to all the coaching rooms failed him?  Thought he was like 007 with that sh*t.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Zach was bad, but the last two TDs scored by the Jets were thrown by him.

Zach got us the lead vs Detroit but our great defense spit the bit. Where was the players hatred for Whitehead blowing the assignment on the Lion’s TD? That play and the Berrios drop was the season.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not inclined to give Saleh the benefit of the doubt on anything, but I didn’t see any evidence of this in the story.

Yeah, pretty spot on article based on what I heard, but Saleh didn’t have a “jellyfish spine”; White got hurt…again.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, football guy said:

Kind of gives some insight as to how LaFleur was married to his scheme, which was unnecessarily complex - specifically for the receivers. As we saw, many receivers had been in the dog house through MLF's two year stint here, so this isn't shocking. It had never been disclosed publicly, but we had noted a while back that MLF preferred Flacco/White to Zach in his scheme... he handpicked Zach as the QB he wanted to work with, but when Zach wasn't ready to play from within the pocket the way LaFleur wanted him to, it quickly became a "he" problem. In fairness to MLF, he, like many in the Shanahan tree, saw Zach as a player who can be a Patrick Mahomes-type player if he learned how to be like Kirk Cousins or Jimmy Garoppolo or Mike White 80% of the time while being the second-reaction playmaker 20% of the time. I don't think MLF was wrong. Problem? He didn't raise his hand to say "Zach is not ready to start" during his rookie year (he's known to be conflict avoidant) AND didn't really do much to ensure that Zach was improving in the day-to-day QB drills. In short, he didn't really have a plan. 

Again, a lot of fans on here were openly ranting about Zach's tendency to bail out of the pocket. MLF and the coaches would tell Zach to avoid negative plays at all costs- whether it be sacks or turnovers- and throwing the ball away was a win. He was praised for it internally until the first NE game, and when they lost/the heat was turned up on them, LaFleur then told him "don't do that anymore", which gave a ton of mixed messages. It certainly wasn't appreciated by Zach. He wanted answers "why" but was given non-answers by LaFleur. Still, Zach did listen. He adhered to the quick-pass gameplan against Buffalo and they won. Then, after the bye, the gameplan was to attack the Patriots downfield. There's no defending Zach in terms of how he played, excuses for the wind, offensive line play, and his post-game press conference, but the one thing we didn't see out of Zach that we probably could've used? Trying to extend plays outside of the pocket. Instead of rolling out to avoid the sack or throw the ball away, we saw more sacks. I wonder why... 

This has been detailed at nauseum by now. Moore grew frustrated with MLF, namely because he felt MLF was being fake. MLF said Moore was doing everything right to him and publicly, but was telling Miles Austin something else. But every time MLF would talk to Moore, he didn't say he was doing anything wrong. Finally he asked point blank and MLF basically said, wellll you're doing this this and this wrong, which set Moore off. 

As I've explained a few times on here, Zach got to a point where he hated Connor Hughes. Hughes tries to play buddy buddy with the players, but this year particularly he let his ego get the best of him... instead of being fair and rational, Hughes became more of a hot-take artist. After the first NE game, Hughes used the poor performance as an opportunity to character assassinate Zach by calling him immature, entitled, and selfish. Zach and his PR team took extreme exception to that, with his PR manager telling me (paraphrased) "this guy sucks Zach's d**k for the past year constantly asking for favors, and the first opportunity he gets he doesn't even bother to criticize Zach's game, rather, uses it as an opportunity to character assassinate him." If you look back at Zach's media availability between the first NE game and the last one, you'll notice Zach's hostility towards Connor. Doesn't make him right, but figured it adds more context. The one thing I'll saw that's a little inconsistent here: Zach planned to address the team, but Robert Saleh told him to wait (according to Zach's PR team at least).

Woody told LaFleur that he wouldn't be fired and suggested that decision would be left up to Saleh, but made it clear that MLF wouldn't get an extension, which would've meant MLF would spend 2023 as a lame-duck coach. Typically assistants and coordinators get a 2 or 3 year deal (MLF's was 3 years) and unless they wind up being a super-star coordinator, it's commonplace for them to at least have their contract extended for a year to avoid the "lame-duck" situation... sometimes coaches themselves turn down the extension, but its less common that a coordinator is told they won't have a year tacked onto their deal. 

What was LaFleur supposed to do when it became evident Wilson wasn’t ready to start? The roster’s pretty much constructed at that point. I get that he was a flawed OC and no issue with having him fired, but the lack of a viable alternative on the team if it turned out he wasn’t ready was a roster construction issue and that falls on Douglas.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

uhm, seriously? 

Let's see. Just off the top of my head:

1) A loser franchise with an established history of . . . losing. One of the most notorious loser franchises in all of sports.

2) Questionable ownership with an awful reputation. 

3) A franchise with a long and tortuous recent history of poor offenses, and in particular, abysmal QB play. 

4) A defensive head coach coming off a brutal late season collapse entering his 3rd year - lame duck?

5) A brutal division led by one of the best teams in the sport (possibly the best?) and one of the best young QBs in the league (possibly the best?). 

6) Metlife Stadium

7) New Jersey taxes

(8) An obnoxious and invasive NY media 

9) An angry, desperate fanbase that rightfully lost any semblance of patience decades ago. 

Should I continue?

1) and if the QB comes here and turns this thing around he can be revered in this area and fanbase. Never underestimate Vanity.

2) Woody isn't bad, he is not Fred Wilpon

3) They are hiring a new OC

4) Saleh's and JD's jobs are safe

5) Outside of the AFC and NFC south divisions, they are all tough

6) Are the dimensions in MetLife the same as every other NFL Stadium, if so, not an issue then

7) Property taxes are worse in NJ but the school system is one of the best in country

? They suck

9) The Tri-State area loves a winner, start winning and never pay for a drink ever again

• Upvote 2