What Does Signing Derek Carr Bring To The Table?

SoFlaJets

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

You suspect wrong.  Matt Stafford is a much better QB than Derek Carr and you're silly exercise didnt prove anything.  I could give you 5 other examples of "similar stats" but who cares?  None of this has anything to do w/ Derek Carr cant hold Lamar Jackson's jock strap.  

So I guess when you were mocking all of the Zach Wilson people for ignoring stats and basing everything on their personal eye tests, you didn’t really mean it? 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Lol, why are you pretending you don’t understand stats all of a sudden. Are QB stats only meaningful when they fit your narrative? 

As I alluded to already (did you just not read my post?) Carr has a slightly better career completion percentage (64.6 vs 63.2), a better career QB rating ( 91.8 vs 90.9), a better career TD:INT ratio (2.19 vs  1.97), and a lower career interception % (2.0 vs 2.4). Stafford has a slightly better career yards/attempt (7.3 vs 7.1). Oh, and since you brought up QB records, Stafford is 89-101-1 and Carr is 63-79. Are you still . . . “confused”? Lol. 

So - maybe comparing Carr with Stafford is “bonkers” to you, but to me, Carr has slightly better career passing production than Stafford and is younger than Stafford was when he was traded to the Rams. 

Other than verifiable tangible numbers related to everything a qb does on a football field what you got bro?

Say Staaafffforrrrrd then say Caaarrrr. Which sounds better dude? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

So I guess when you were mocking all of the Zach Wilson people for ignoring stats and basing everything on their personal eye tests, you didn’t really mean it? 

Cool, so for the record, you think Carr is better than Stafford and I'm going to disagree.  

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Cool, so for the record, you think Carr is better than Stafford and I'm going to disagree.  

Another nice dodge.

Again, never really said this, just pointed out that they are at least comparable - and folks can certainly make an argument for Carr.

But you did say you were confused.  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheClashFan said:

Is Carr even at all interested in playing on the east coast, esp. the cold northeast?  Sure, he'll say he is in order to get as many bidders as possible and drive up his contract.

Is there anything to the argument that he's bad in cold weather?

100%, except here in the make believe where Derek Carr is better than Matt Stafford. 

2 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Is Carr even at all interested in playing on the east coast, esp. the cold northeast?  Sure, he'll say he is in order to get as many bidders as possible and drive up his contract.

Is there anything to the argument that he's bad in cold weather?

He hasn't been good in cold weather but its a small sample size. Plus when you consider he's had to play at Den and at KC as a fair % of those games its easy to see him having a poor record. It would be like saying Jets QB's are bad in cold weather because they've played a lot of late season games in Buf and Ne. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFields said:

100%, except here in the make believe where Derek Carr is better than Matt Stafford. 

Okay, but how many cold weather games has he played in, and what do those numbers look like?  Reasonable sample or small one?  

I guess we'd need to define "cold weather," too.  What temperature does that start at?  Like 55 degrees, maybe or lower?

I'm genuinely curious, not trolling.

10 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Okay, but how many cold weather games has he played in, and what do those numbers look like?  Reasonable sample or small one?  

I guess we'd need to define "cold weather," too.  What temperature does that start at?  Like 55 degrees, maybe or lower?

Drafted in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, Derek Carr became the first quarterback in Raider history to start Week 1 of his rookie year. Carr has remained the team’s QB1 since and has appeared in six contests where the weather was 36 degrees or colder. In these games, the 31-year-old has a record of 0-6, never logging more than one touchdown nor leading his team to more than 19 points in any individual contest.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Oh, I thought you were being silly, its really bad and often discussed, which is why he's a terrible fit here.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/derek-carr-s-cold-weather-stats-how-effective-raiders-qb-subzero-temperatures

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/cold_truth_las_vegas_qb_derek_carr_stinks_in_freezing_temperatures/s1_13132_38281312

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Drafted in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, Derek Carr became the first quarterback in Raider history to start Week 1 of his rookie year. Carr has remained the team’s QB1 since and has appeared in six contests where the weather was 36 degrees or colder. In these games, the 31-year-old has a record of 0-6, never logging more than one touchdown nor leading his team to more than 19 points in any individual contest.

Cool stat! Who did they play?

What’s funny when reading all these responses about who the top priority and option for QB should be, is that the Jets aren’t going to be the preferred top option for any of these guys being mentioned.  It will most likely be a game of musical chairs and the last one standing will be forced to be the Jets QB.  

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, peebag said:

Why not stick w/ Mike White?

If we can't bring in a star QB then I'd be okay with bringing in a veteran QB (e.g. Darnold, Dalton, etc) and letting him compete with MFW. 

The key thing I want from this offseason is for JD to continue to build the team.  We badly need OL and probably a #2 WR on offense.  We certainly have needs on defense as well  (e.g. LB and S) but I think we need to throw most of our resources into the offense for now.  I think during this entire playoff drought our offense has been below average every year except for 2015, which was a Fitz mirage.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Okay, so sign both Carr and MW.  Start Carr in any game where the temperature is not real cold, say 50 degrees and above.  Start MW in the cold games. Hopefully that's no more than 3 before he gets hurt again.  Hope your postseason games are in domes.

Now I'm being silly.

Or am I?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

22 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Cool stat! Who did they play?

"Cool stat"?  I see what you did there!

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Other than verifiable tangible numbers related to everything a qb does on a football field what you got bro?

Say Staaafffforrrrrd then say Caaarrrr. Which sounds better dude? 

Lol, I'll add some of my input here:

We've seen huge trades for Watson and Wilson + given massive contracts, only to under perform. A massive risk when considering Lamar.

We've seen Carr with 4 different HCs, in 2 different cities, and receive multiple large contracts - he has been the definition of consistency, the word Douglas harped on in his end of season presser.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

Meh, he's had 2 winning seasons in 9 and I've never really respected the Raiders during his run as starter, so I guess you're just hoping things will be different here, which I understand but 9 years is a lot of data.

Comparing the Jets and Raiders defenses and yes I’d expect things to be different with the Jets

I can’t help but think Carr is more like a Kirk cousins or even tannehill than a guy who can carry the team.  Those comebacks are kind of fools gold. Sure it shows some poise but late in the game teams tend to play safe or get tired. Even the jets showed an ability to supposed turn on the offense in the fourth qtr at times.