What Does Signing Derek Carr Bring To The Table?

SoFlaJets

34 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

OK, I'll start: Most game-winning drives by a QB since 2014:

1. Derek Carr 33

2. Matt Stafford 30

T-3. Russell Wilson 27

T-3. Kirk Cousins 27 

Hmmm a clutch QB, we haven't had one of them since Mark Sanchez was at his best

A list of studs there

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

He keeps the Jets from selling the farm for QB who couldn't win more than 1 playoff game in 4 tries while almost always being surrounded by a great defense his entire career.

Much better to sell the farm for a guy with zero playoff wins

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

OK, I'll start: Most game-winning drives by a QB since 2014:

1. Derek Carr 33

2. Matt Stafford 30

T-3. Russell Wilson 27

T-3. Kirk Cousins 27 

Hmmm a clutch QB, we haven't had one of them since Mark Sanchez was at his best

I want Carr but devils advocate says if he was good enough to lead in those games, he wouldn't need to comeback.

Hence why the consensus greats in Rodgers and Brady don't fall in the top 4

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I want Carr but devils advocate says if he was good enough to lead in those games, he wouldn't need to comeback.

Lamar Jackson's been with the Ravens since 2018 and their starter for the past four seasons. During that time the Ravens D has been this good.

Poin Poin Poin   Top Top Top Off Off Def Def
Year Lg Tm W L T Div. Finish Playoffs PF PA PD Coaches Passer Rusher Receiver Pts Yds Pts Yds
2022 NFL Baltimore Ravens* 10 7 0 2nd of 4   350 315 35 Harbaugh Jackson Jackson Andrews 19 16 3 9
2021 NFL Baltimore Ravens 8 9 0 4th of 4   387 392 -5 Harbaugh Jackson Jackson Andrews 17 6 19 25
2020 NFL Baltimore Ravens* 11 5 0 2nd of 4 Lost Div 468 303 165 Harbaugh Jackson Jackson Brown 7 19 2 7
2019 NFL Baltimore Ravens* 14 2 0 1st of 4 Lost Div 531 282 249 Harbaugh Jackson Jackson Andrews 1 2 3 4
2018 NFL Baltimore Ravens* 10 6 0 1st of 4 Lost WC 389 287 102 Harbaugh Flacco Edwards Brown 13 9 2 1

The Ravens are also a much better run organization than the Raiders. It's like comparing the Hilton to the Red Roof Inn.

14 minutes ago, FactsOnly said:

A 9-10 win season and a blowout loss in the Wild Card round

Carr almost guarantees the playoffs if Joe Douglas can get the OC choice right and the OL patched up. What can Carr do with a top 5 defense? I've never seen Derek Carr with great defenses and franchise stability like I have with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore.

Poin Poin Poin   Top Top Top Off Off Def Def
Year Lg Tm W L T Div. Finish Playoffs PF PA PD Coaches Passer Rusher Receiver Pts Yds Pts Yds
2022 NFL Las Vegas Raiders 6 11 0 3rd of 4   395 418 -23 McDaniels Carr Jacobs Adams 12 12 26 28
2021 NFL Las Vegas Raiders* 10 7 0 2nd of 4 Lost WC 374 439 -65 Bisaccia,Gruden Carr Jacobs Renfrow 18 11 26 14
2020 NFL Las Vegas Raiders 8 8 0 2nd of 4   434 478 -44 Gruden Carr Jacobs Waller 10 8 30 25
2019 NFL Oakland Raiders 7 9 0 3rd of 4   313 419 -106 Gruden Carr Jacobs Waller 24 11 24 19
2018 NFL Oakland Raiders 4 12 0 4th of 4   290 467 -177 Gruden Carr Martin Cook 28 23 32 26
2017 NFL Oakland Raiders 6 10 0 3rd of 4   301 373 -72 Del Rio Carr Lynch Cook 23 17 20 23
2016 NFL Oakland Raiders* 12 4 0 2nd of 4 Lost WC 416 385 31 Del Rio Carr Murray Cooper 7 6 20 26
2015 NFL Oakland Raiders 7 9 0 3rd of 4   359 399 -40 Del Rio Carr Murray Cooper 17 24 22 22
2014 NFL Oakland Raiders 3 13 0 4th of 4   253 452 -199 Sparano,Allen Carr McFadden Holmes 31 32 32 21
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Respectability. I would expect we would be a functional NFL offense. Perhaps win 10 maybe 11 games, make the playoffs. Continue to build the team while we try to find/develop a Franchise QB. 

Meh, he's had 2 winning seasons in 9 and I've never really respected the Raiders during his run as starter, so I guess you're just hoping things will be different here, which I understand but 9 years is a lot of data.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Meh, he's had 2 winning seasons in 9 and I've never really respected the Raiders during his run as starter, so I guess you're just hoping things will be different here, which I understand but 9 years is a lot of data.

So you want to sell the farm for Lamar Jackson who's got one playoff win playing with great defenses in Baltimore. What makes you think he can do more with the Jets? It's not even like Lamar Jackson is trending up these last two seasons. He's trending down. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

So you want to sell the farm for Lamar Jackson who's got one playoff win playing with great defenses in Baltimore. What makes you think he can do more with the Jets? It's not even like Lamar Jackson is trending up these last two seasons. He's trending down. 

I dont know what it's going to cost for either player but I'll say it again, I dont care.  The team is young, keep building through the draft and the cost doesnt matter.  You have pay to play in this league, it's not like Derek is coming on a discount.  If Lamar is actually available, you do everything in your power to get him because a player like Lamar, gives you a chance at a chip.  Derek Carr, does not. It's really that simple.

The Ravens suck and have not built around him well.  Sure, they've tried but it's failed.  He'd have more weapons here than he ever has w/ Balt.  So his playoff record doesnt bother me, he's 45-16 as a starter and has never, had a losing record.  Look at their offenses. 26.5 points per game w/ Lamar, 12.5 without.  Did you see what the Raiders did w/out Carr this year? lol  Jarret Stidham dropped 34 pts and went for 365 and 3 Tds vs. the 49ers.  lol 

I dont worry about injuries.  Mahomes almost went out last night.  Jalen Hurts missed a few games this year.  sh*t happens.  Lamar is young.  He could play the next 5 years w/out missing a game.  I'll take that gamble over a meandering maybe playoff team w/ Derek Carr.

46 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Have you seen the Raiders D during Carrs tenure there. No neither have I. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Again, it’s not singles tennis. It’s football. Stop making team records the end all be all of a QB. Wins are a team statistic, not an individual one. 

People made the same dopey arguments about Stafford before he went to the Rams. Stafford went 74-90-1 in Detroit with only 4 winning seasons. 

Derek Carr has a better career completion percentage, QB rating, and TD:INT ratio than Stafford. Stafford has a better Yards/attempt. They are comparable, but Carr probably has slightly better numbers, overall.  

I started a thread once that "judging QB's on wins is the dumbest thing we do"...but, 9 years, is a lot of years in the NFL to only have 2 winning seasons.  

Derek Carr, is not Matt Stafford.  The Raiders, are not the Lions.

Derek Carr = Chad Pennington - that might sound appealing to you, it doesnt sound appealing to me.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, JiFields said:

I started a thread once that "judging QB's on wins is the dumbest thing we do"...but, 9 years, is a lot of years in the NFL to only have 2 winning seasons.  

Derek Carr, is not Matt Stafford.  The Raiders, are not the Lions.

Derek Carr = Chad Pennington - that might sound appealing to you, it doesnt sound appealing to me.

If Derek Carr is Chad Pennington then why does he have slightly better career numbers than Matt Stafford? 

and if you know that team record isn’t a great way to look at a QB, why harp on it? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Conversations all season about is he wearing eyeliner and why he is wearing eyeliner? Can see @TuscanyTile2 poll already. 1. Does carr wear eyeliner? 2. Why does he wear eyeliner? 3. If we win the Super Bowl, will you wear eyeliner too? 

Blasphemy!  I've already addressed this...

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

If Derek Carr is Chad Pennington then why does he have slightly better career numbers than Matt Stafford? 

and if you know that team record isn’t a great way to look at a QB, why harp on it? 

I dont understand the significance of either of these questions.  Do you honestly think that Matt Stafford and Derek Carr are equal players?

I'm not harping on it, it's part of my rationale.  The more important aspect is the fact that Derek Carr is the mush and Lamar Jackson is an MVP caliber player who can win a Super Bowl and Derek Carr cant, because he's not very good. 

Also, he cant play in cold weather.  He's in fact, miserable in cold weather.  That's not good when you play in the AFCE.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

Just now, JiFields said:

I dont understand the significance of either of these questions.  Do you honestly think that Matt Stafford and Derek Carr are equal players?

I'm not harping on it, it's part of my rationale.  The more important aspect is the fact that Derek Carr is the mush and Lamar Jackson is an MVP caliber player who can win a Super Bowl and Derek Carr cant, because he's not very good. 

Also, he cant play in cold weather.  He's in fact, miserable in cold weather.  That's not good when you play in the AFCE.

Don't worry so much about it!

image.png.a304fdb162a7768b98a7e66415d17c07.png

• Haha 2