Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove

Nathaniel Hackett - Approve or Disapprove?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve or disapprove of the hiring of Nathaniel Hackett as Jets offensive coordinator?

Nope. They are being built the right way.  The impatience of the owner and the fans is derailing the rebuild and forcing JD to put all his eggs in the basket of a declining 39 year old overpaid QB in the hope that he has one more year in him. And if that doesn't work, we are back to 2020 again.  The steady rebuild is working. This team is so much better than the 2019 Jets it's not even close.. In fact, this is the best Jets team since 2010.  The only open issue - and it's a big one - is to find a QB.  I'd much rather save the draft capital and the money and go for a Carr or a Garappolo than to bank on a Rodgers revival.  If Carr/Garappolo doesn't pan out, go with White another year and make a play for next year's version of Carr.  
The plan was to build a team that would compete for a SB for many years, not to take one massive gamble on a fading star for one glorious season. If that season falls short, then what?  It's not because the rebuild is wrong. It's because there is no patience to see it through.  The odds on winning a SB if the Jets make the playoffs 4-5 years are much better than one season with Rodgers.  I don't like this one bit.
Stopped at Mike White. But I completely agree with your analysis on the job JD is doing. Mangini was the last time I can recall feeling like an adult was running the show.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I just saw this, and I agree with you completely. 
The only small quibble I have is I’m having second thoughts on Carr (although I could get behind the move) but I would hate to see Garapollo here. I’d rather go cheaper with Mayfield or Minshew and look to find their successor in the draft eventually.

I think it's the concept that is more important for this point than the player (not to minimize who would be a successful NFL QB).  I'm not a Mayfield or Minshew fan, but I'd rather go that route than go all in on a depreciated asset like Rodgers.  

Stafford was 32 when he was traded to the Rams.  Rodgers is not analogous to Stafford.  And if the Rams lost in the playoffs last year, they'd still stink in 2022 and the future looks pretty bleak for them.  Why do the Jets need to follow that model now?  Wasn't that kind of what happened in 2015.  People around here think 2015 was the good old days, but I thought it sucked and every year since has been horrible and the way the team was built in 2015 is a big reason.  Why go down that road again?  It leads nowhere.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Stopped at Mike White. But I completely agree with your analysis on the job JD is doing. Mangini was the last time I can recall feeling like an adult was running the show.

Well, it appears that our Peter Pan owner and fans are telling JD is being told to stop because it's no fun and we want to win Now!.  This graduated improvement isn't doing it.  We want ice cream for dinner.  We'll worry about growing up healthy another time....

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Well, it appears that our Peter Pan owner and fans are telling JD is being told to stop because it's no fun and we want to win Now!.  This graduated improvement isn't doing it.  We want ice cream for dinner.  We'll worry about growing up healthy another time....

We don't that is what they are doing yet. We'll know based on who they bring in at QB. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jimmy G was on the 49ers before and after the nick mullens year, btw 

I know everyone brings up Joe Burrow, unfortunately 40 year old Aaron Rodgers is not Joe Burrow

I understand this best case scenario we're all hoping for but they can't get those OL and WR pieces if they trade the farm for the QB. They can't pay for all the players they need when Rodgers is taking up 60-80 mil of the cap in 2025/26

Maybe for only this year and the next it's not outside of the realm of possibility. If they go nothing but WR and OL in the first 3-4 rounds (which they should do anyways) that would give them a slate of starters on rookie deals. Don't forget how young the offense is.

This of course requires JD to hit on all of his picks which is about as easy to predict as Jan from The Office.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think it's the concept that is more important for this point than the player (not to minimize who would be a successful NFL QB).  I'm not a Mayfield or Minshew fan, but I'd rather go that route than go all in on a depreciated asset like Rodgers.  

Stafford was 32 when he was traded to the Rams.  Rodgers is not analogous to Stafford.  And if the Rams lost in the playoffs last year, they'd still stink in 2022 and the future looks pretty bleak for them.  Why do the Jets need to follow that model now?  Wasn't that kind of what happened in 2015.  People around here think 2015 was the good old days, but I thought it sucked and every year since has been horrible and the way the team was built in 2015 is a big reason.  Why go down that road again?  It leads nowhere.  

There’s only one way this franchise ever turns things around, and that’s by hitting on a QB in the draft. We need to keep doing everything we can to keep taking one as high in the draft as we can every year until we find one.

Everything else is just fluff we talk about to pass the time.

• Upvote 1

There’s only one way this franchise ever turns things around, and that’s by hitting on a QB in the draft. We need to keep doing everything we can to keep taking one as high in the draft as we can every year until we find one.
Everything else we talk about here is just fluff we talk about to pass the time.

Then this franchise will never turn it around. QBs do not succeed here due to the fact that this fan base and media do not have the patience to let a QB develop. If we get a QB he’ll have to be borderline inhuman and light it up from day one. Otherwise it’s a waste of time. Let’s just get veteran here. Win a Super Bowl and be done with it. For a rookie QB to come here would not be in his best interest. Better off just going to Green Bay or some Midwest team. I hate to say it but It’s just too toxic here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tfine said:

Then this franchise will never turn it around. QBs do not succeed here due to the fact that this fan base and media do not have the patience to let a QB develop. If we get a QB he’ll have to be borderline inhuman and light it up from day one. Otherwise it’s a waste of time. Let’s just get veteran here. Win a Super Bowl and be done with it. For a rookie QB to come here would not be in his best interest. Better off just going to Green Bay or some Midwest team. I hate to say it but It’s just too toxic here.

It's that easy, huh?  Get a veteran QB, win the SB.  Winning a SB is not like buying a car.  Please.  The right thing to do would be for Woody and JD to tell the fan base to grow up. We're building the right way.  Why can the Giants do it but not the Jets?  Same market.

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Maybe for only this year and the next it's not outside of the realm of possibility. If they go nothing but WR and OL in the first 3-4 rounds (which they should do anyways) that would give them a slate of starters on rookie deals. Don't forget how young the offense is.

This of course requires JD to hit on all of his picks which is about as easy to predict as Jan from The Office.

Yea our defense was really good against the Jags. We really showed Trevor who treated us like an annoying step child. 

3 hours ago, dcJet said:

If they fail, no more "Building back the right way"  It's too painful.

The average player career is 3 years. The average roster churn is 30 percent. This year the Jets have almost 50 percent churn 

The idea of a multi year rebuild was always a lie. Everything Joe Douglas did was in service of Joe Douglas' career not "building the right way" 

Now we're at the end of his 6 year contract and he's desperate 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What picks? They are trading them all to green Bay, remember 

For those saying he didn’t call plays in GB, it’s not like he did nothing instead. He developed the offenses to be successful. He probably failed to do that in Denver more because he was too busy being clueless with the HC stuff. I think he will do well here. 
I’m probably part of a small crowd that thinks he doesn’t need Rodgers to be successful.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So Sean McVay is going to hire Lafleur as his OC and the Jets got Hackett and 2/3 of this board thinks we got an upgrade????????

The Jury is still on MLF. He either sucked or the combo of Wilson/White/Flacco were so bad that no OC could make it work. In the end, when a team falls apart late someone is going to take the fall. That is the NFL. A ton of OC/DC's were fired this offseason. They aren't all bad. 

So Sean McVay is going to hire Lafleur as his OC and the Jets got Hackett and 2/3 of this board thinks we got an upgrade????????
I don't see a lot of 'upgrade' comments flying around.

MLF failed here for whatever reason and took the fall.

I think he is still a bright young mind that will ultimately be successful some day.

10 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

So you think Woody sat thru 15 OC interviews and told JD and Saleh to hire Hackett?  

I'm saying I believe Woody decided we need to throw all reason out the wind and shoot for the moon at QB just like when he decided to "Get the band back together" in 2015 signing dogsh*t contracts.  

You know sure as sh*t the LeVeon Bell move was a Woody decision too.

Why couldn’t Saleh wait until they land Rodgers before hiring Hackett. He wasn’t going anywhere. Who besides the Jets would have hired him after brutally destroying R Wilson and the morale of a vaunted Broncos team that was pegged to make serious noise this past year. Get Rodgers, then hire Hackett. If they can’t agree on terms with Rodgers, it makes zero sense to bring Hackett on board. Is Rodgers to the Jets a done deal? Something smells fishy.  ? 

OK. I've had a day and have recovered from the trauma of Nathan Hackett's hiring. I know way too many Bronco fans to have an objective view of Hackett. I also didn't think his dad was a good OC. Anyway, he's in the building and I'm rooting for his success. Hopefully, he learned some hard lessons this past season and is primed to be a + OC.

• Upvote 1

It's that easy, huh?  Get a veteran QB, win the SB.  Winning a SB is not like buying a car.  Please.  The right thing to do would be for Woody and JD to tell the fan base to grow up. We're building the right way.  Why can the Giants do it but not the Jets?  Same market.

Oh I totally get where you are coming from. I would like nothing more then to draft our own QB and let him develop into a franchise QB, but I am just looking at the reality of the situation. This year was supposed to be about developing Zach. The team got good quick and progressed way ahead of schedule and Zach didn’t develop at the same pace. In the beginning of the season Zach took steps forward…nothing great but we were winning. Then the New England game happened and we benched him. Granted he didn’t play well, but that happens with a young QB. After that, development of him went out the window because the team was elite, but the QB wasn’t. Media and players clamoring for Mike White. You even had players wearing shirts of the backup QB basically trying to show up Zach. Now is it Zach’s fault that he didn’t develop fast enough? He actually got worse as the season went on. Players that are well coached do not exactly get worse. Now you tell me if you are a young college QB…would you want to come here??

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

It is comical that nearly 70% of the fans think Hackett is a good OC.  The announcers have mocked our offense two weeks in a row.  Did you here them say, There it is again"?   The Jets postgame show, where it is a fireable offense to speak out, said it's time to look at the coordinator.  They noted it is not working and they refuse to change anything.  They also noted how the other offense is creative in getting the matchups they want.  Heck, Tyreek hill was one on one with Whitehead.  Jets haven't had that once all season.

He sucks.  Now we know why Rodgers checks out of his call 80% of the time.  Yes the line stinks.  Yes the QB is not very good.  Yes we have no wide receivers except Garrett, who has dropped a pass 3 weeks in a row, had two fumbles and not caught a 50/50 ball in a month.

Morale is low and the the team had under 100 yards offense after 3 quarters for the second week in a row and 3rd time in 4 games.   They are undisciplined  and make the same mistakes every week.  And 7 out of 10 on this board like the Coordinator responsible for that mess.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flashlite80 said:

It is comical that nearly 70% of the fans think Hackett is a good OC.  The announcers have mocked our offense two weeks in a row.  Did you here them say, There it is again"?   The Jets postgame show, where it is a fireable offense to speak out, said it's time to look at the coordinator.  They noted it is not working and they refuse to change anything.  They also noted how the other offense is creative in getting the matchups they want.  Heck, Tyreek hill was one on one with Whitehead.  Jets haven't had that once all season.

He sucks.  Now we know why Rodgers checks out of his call 80% of the time.  Yes the line stinks.  Yes the QB is not very good.  Yes we have no wide receivers except Garrett, who has dropped a pass 3 weeks in a row, had two fumbles and not caught a 50/50 ball in a month.

Morale is low and the the team had under 100 yards offense after 3 quarters for the second week in a row and 3rd time in 4 games.   They are undisciplined  and make the same mistakes every week.  And 7 out of 10 on this board like the Coordinator responsible for that mess.

8 month-old necro thread. I'll bet 95% of people think he sucks now.

On 1/26/2023 at 9:32 AM, Beerfish said:

My whole thought on this situation was 'If you are going to fire LaFleur then you have to replace him with someone much better otherwise don't bother and stick with a young coach.  This is one of the guys in the not better category.  Terrible hire.

🤓