The Stupid "Don't mortgage the future" argument

kevinc855

I wouldn’t say it’s a stupid idea. If the Bengals had won the Super Bowl, where would the Rams be? 
There’s a big risk in mortgaging the future. While that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea, you have to ve careful, because it leaves few opportunities.

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hear ya ,i'm up there in age too, been a fan since early 70's and will turn 60 this year. You say you don't want to be a perennial loser but going all in on a 39 yo qb like Rodgers only changes that for a year or two maybe max .  The team has more young talent than its had in awhile it would be a shame to stop the build and progress for an ill fated run at the Lombardi. 

I am not disputing that, but it could be the start of good things happening 
I get it but a winning culture would bring better people to this organization 

I want change to be a winner

4 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

I'll be excited if the Jets can get Rogers fairly inexpensively in draft pick compensation, but unless JD can pull off some miracle one year OL rebuild, the Jets aren't sniffing the SB next year, and maybe not even the playoffs. I'd love to be wrong about that.

We sniffed the playoffs with Zach this year. 

Just now, Rangers1 said:

I am not disputing that, but it could be the start of good things happening 
I get it but a winning culture would bring better people to this organization 

I want change to be a winner

Thing is they don't need AR to be a winner. They can continue the build and bring in a QB like Carr, Tannehill, Brissett and probably still be a playoff team w/o giving up prized draft picks that can strengthen this team for the years ahead.  Rodgers halts that progress for a desperation attempt to win it all with a team that is still flawed. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

We were 7-4 at one point before horrendous QB play doomed us.

I think some people are downplaying how much of a difference a QB the caliber of Rodgers makes, even bordering on 40 years old.

People are acting like he fell off a cliff or something last year even though he finished with 3700 yards, 26 TD’s and 12 INT’s despite playing most of the year with a screwed up thumb.

The two previous seasons he won back to back league MVP’s with a combined 85 TD’s to 9 INT’s.

And didm't win the SB with very good teams.  People here list the years when the Jets fell short of a SB as the low points in their time as a fan - 69, 82, 85,86, 98, 09, 10 and so on.  Do we really want to go all in for a season or two, fall short, and then endure another 5+ years of terrible football ?  I'm in my 60s and I want a SB badly.  Been there done that with playoff teams.  It's fun but frustrating. It is time to build a perennial playoff team, not an "all-in" for a one or two year shot team.  The best way to win a SB is to take multiple cracks at it with a team that makes the playoffs for a few years.  The Rams are an exception.  Trading multiple draft picks for Rodgers and paying him an obscene amount of money at this stage of his career with this team is a very high risk strategy - much higher than picking Wilson at #2 was.  Wilson cost 1 draft pick and his salary over 4 years is less than one year of Rodgers. 

GB won one single solitary SB with Rodgers and that was 12 years ago in 2010. They did it as the # 6 seed.  That was the only SB he played in.  In all the other years they lost:

• 2007- lost NFC Championship to NYG at home
  • 2009 - lost Wild Card game at Arizona (9-7 team)
  • 2011 - lost Divisional game to NYG at home (9-7 team)
  • 2012 - lost Divisional game to SF (with Kaepernick)
  • 2013 - lost Wild Card game at home to SF (with Kaepernick)
  • 2014 - lost NFC Championship vs Seattle (choked away big lead)
  • 2015 - lost Divisional game vs Arizona
  • 2016 - lost NFC Championship to Atlanta (lost SB to NE)
  • 2017-18 - missed playoffs
  • 2019 - lost NFC Championship to SF (with Garappollo)
  • 2020- Lost NFC Championship to TB at home
  • 2021 - lost Divisional game to SF  at home(with Garappollo)

So what makes it a sure thing that the Jets even win a playoff game, let alone win the SB, with Rodgers now????

I don't think this team is one player away from contending and I certainly don't think Rodgers puts them over the top.  

To use Kevin's poker analogy, making this trade for Rodgers would be like going all in with a decent, but not great, hand.  You don't go all in with a pair of jacks with only the river card left.  That is what this would be.  I want more and better cards before the Jets go all in. 

• Upvote 4

Jets fans want to see the team win and get into the playoffs....but don't want to pay the cost......make it make sense

Truth be told, a lot of Jets fans are too afraid to just take the shot at actually winning for a change.....they'll fall back on complaining about the situation, instead of going all in to improve it 

7 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I believe the rest of the team is pretty close to BUF, CIN, and KC

When healthy

Defense: BUF > NYJ > KC > Cincy

Offensive Weapons: Cincy > KC > NYJ > BUF

OL: KC is the only team with a complete OL. The other 3, when healthy, are a toss-up.

The biggest difference between the Jets and those 3 teams is the QB. The rest of the team is on par.

And formerly the OC.  

43 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Jets fans want to see the team win and get into the playoffs....but don't want to pay the cost......make it make sense

Truth be told, a lot of Jets fans are too afraid to just take the shot at actually winning for a change.....they'll fall back on complaining about the situation, instead of going all in to improve it 

Unfortunately most jets fans still think Zach Wilson can be fixed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Zach is the guy they will develop and rightfully so. He has tons of talent and just needs to sit, have better coaching and learn from a vet. Noone they draft will have Zach's developmental talent. Rodgers for two years and then hopefully Zach for 10. They won't be drafting a QB IMO. Also, it likely won't take multiple first rounders to get Rodgers - keep the #1 this year and trade next years #1 and this year's #2 - something like that.

As aggravated as I got reading your thoughts on Zach, I think Joe Douglas feels the exact same way you do about him.

The only difference between us is I think all this Rodgers to the Jets talk is nonsense. I don’t see it happening, and now this fan base has set itself up to be massively disappointed with whoever we do bring in to play QB next year.

It depends on the situation. Currently the Jets have a lot of young talent and a stud QB could give them as good a chance as most teams. You take a shot knowing most of the young talent isn't going to disappear when AR retires. As opposed to trying to build a team by signing a bunch of older high priced guys, and not having a bunch of young talented guys coming up.   

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

But the bengals didn’t win. The rams did. They put a Lombardi trophy in their office for a year 

Yep. You're right. That's why the risk can be worth taking. It would be interesting to see how many teams that go all in actually end up winning. 

The thing with the Jets is it's really their only option left if they want to win it all. 12 years of trying the long game, hiring and firing different coaches, replacing QBs, and they haven't really gone all in. It's about time. I was just pointing out that if it fails, the team will go back to sucking for many, many more years to come.

3 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Thing is they don't need AR to be a winner. They can continue the build and bring in a QB like Carr, Tannehill, Brissett and probably still be a playoff team w/o giving up prized draft picks that can strengthen this team for the years ahead.  Rodgers halts that progress for a desperation attempt to win it all with a team that is still flawed. 

Not just talking about Rodgers. Bring in some seasoned vets that understand what it takes to make a winner and can maybe be mentors. I do believe we are putting the cart before the horse with respect to Rodgers. The future is now for us older fans

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

This 56mehl56 is dug in wants to go the “right” way won’t convince him…..the only way to go right now is to get a vet qb period.   Lot of talent in 3 years will be asking for 30 mil/yr…..get Rodgers make a run……period 

10 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

For you win now guys, why does it have to be Rodgers?  I don't get it.  Any "average" QB gets us in to the post season.  Why are you so dead set on Rodgers? 

I guess I just don't get the Superbowl or bust mentality.  I'm just a humble post season guy.  You know, something we haven't done since 2010. 

Once your in the post season anything can happen, just ask Eli.     

It doesn’t.  I prefer Jackson.  But I can be talked into Rodgers if the price is reasonable.  

I started off with with a very rational stance of "If the price is right and we can rework the contract I'm for bringing in Rodgers but if it is cost prohibitive then I'd rather go another route"

Then after conversing with a bunch of irrational ****s for a few days I remembered that I dislike most of my fellow Jets fans and will enjoy a) it working out in our favor b) it blowing up in our faces or c) Rodgers not even coming here and a large portion of this fanbase acting like the scorned children that they are  nearly all the same.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree no guarantees with any option.  But I ask myself outside of Buffalo what quality team did the Jets beat last season. To get to the SB they  likely need to go through comobs of ( Allen(Buf), Burrow(Cin), Herbert(LAC), Mahomes(KC) ) in the AFC alone. Do I feel like this team(even completely healthy) with AR added is capable of that - nope).

The team right now lacks a QB we all agree with that and we all hope Hackett provides them a lift over what MLF was running . That he's better able to utilize Moore, Mims, Carter and the Te's. The defense while much improved still needs a large run stuffer at D , a stud LB and definitely safety help . This team has holes which won't get filled by trading away multiple high end draft picks. I'd rather see them bring in Carr or even to a lesser extent a Tannehill, Brisset or Winston while continuing to plug those holes then simply adding Rodgers to this mix for a desperation shot at a SB.

The very point is we didn't have a QB, had a stubborn OC, the HC was of no help, and the young WRs hadn't had a WRC since college.

• Even with that they woud've beaten Minnesota if Berrios could handle a pass (and yes, if it was a bit more on target), plus they wouldn't have needed that if Greg Joseph hadn't nailed a 60 yd FG -- or even with that, gifting Minnesota an extra 3 points with White throwing a pick on the opening drive & Minnesota taking over already in FG position. 
  • So with the Buffalo win, that'd be 2 with a not-insignificant QB upgrade.
  • Then add in a 3rd & 4th with Rodgers on the field for both NE games instead of Wilson.
  • They were within 2 scores to Cincinnatti with a joke has-been QB throwing 0 TDs and turning the ball over 4x.
  • It's a totally different game with Rodgers instead of Flacco vs. Baltimore, have a tough time believing they couldn't have mustered 10 points vs Miami in the season closer, 6 points against Seattle's D that'd been giving up 3 TDs per week; Detroit needed a punt return TD and a 4th & 1 TD that went half the field (thanks in no small part to the preposterously overrated "pro bowl" MLB they should cut asap), and more.

And all that assumes the D doesn't play any better when they're not groaning after the O puts them right back onto the field so quickly for the umpteenth time, week after week.

Actually this challenge is easier than I imagined it would be, and only makes me more confident that this team was not just competent QBing away from making the playoffs, but more than merely-competent QBing away from being a serious contender.

Anyway the very point is a QB upgrade makes up for what the team was lacking, not that they were SB contenders without him. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Hex said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a stupid idea. If the Bengals had won the Super Bowl, where would the Rams be? 
There’s a big risk in mortgaging the future. While that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea, you have to ve careful, because it leaves few opportunities.

Who says we’re doing what the Rams did?  The Rams ended up with like 2 first round picks over a 10-year period and, somehow, complete cap hell despite the cap not being all that hard to navigate.  

Trading for one QB doesn’t make us the Rams.  

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The very point is we didn't have a QB, had a stubborn OC, the HC was of no help, and the young WRs hadn't had a WRC since college.

• Even with that they woud've beaten Minnesota if Berrios could handle a pass (and yes, if it was a bit more on target), plus they wouldn't have needed that if Greg Joseph hadn't nailed a 60 yd FG -- or even with that, gifting Minnesota an extra 3 points with White throwing a pick on the opening drive & Minnesota taking over already in FG position. 
  • So with the Buffalo win, that'd be 2 with a not-insignificant QB upgrade.
  • Then add in a 3rd & 4th with Rodgers on the field for both NE games instead of Wilson.
  • They were within 2 scores to Cincinnatti with a joke has-been QB throwing 0 TDs and turning the ball over 4x.
  • It's a totally different game with Rodgers instead of Flacco vs. Baltimore, have a tough time believing they couldn't have mustered 10 points vs Miami in the season closer, 6 points against Seattle's D that'd been giving up 3 TDs per week; Detroit needed a punt return TD and a 4th & 1 TD that went half the field (thanks in no small part to the preposterously overrated "pro bowl" MLB they should cut asap), and more.

And all that assumes the D doesn't play any better when they're not groaning after the O puts them right back onto the field so quickly for the umpteenth time, week after week.

Actually this challenge is easier than I imagined it would be, and only makes me more confident that this team was not just competent QBing away from making the playoffs, but more than merely-competent QBing away from being a serious contender.

Anyway the very point is a QB upgrade makes up for what the team was lacking, not that they were SB contenders without him. 

But your looking at the games in context of who we played this season. Chances are we won't face Miami's 3rd string , Denvers backup etc.. NE will likely be better than they were this season. Better qb play makes this team better but still is realistically not a SB caliber team. Can it happen,  yes , is it a long long shot -  absolutely

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is the answer for me.  Carr is almost as good as Rodgers is right now imo, far less expensive contract wise or cost to obtain wise and will be far less of a pain in the ass player.

Rodgers is not coming off an mvp year, he is coming off almost his worst year as a QB.  His stats down the stretch were crapola.  This totally has russel wilson vibe all over it for me.

It's all just opinion, but this is where we diverge, tbh. Carr is soft & just doesn't throw a lot of TDs when - like '22 Brady - factoring in how many pass attempts he throws. He hasn't been top 10 in pass TD percentage since 2016 (and even then only barely cracked the top 10 at his very best). With proper weapons - really with even ONE proper weapon that Carr DID have - Rodgers is the best QB in football (and if he isn't, the difference is insignificant). Not ancient history; literally the season before. Plus it couldn't have been more obvious he didn't want to be there, absent GB throwing truckloads more money at him (amounts nobody turns down absent severe brain damage). 

Don't get me wrong -- Carr would be my top target if they can't get Rodgers (I far prefer him to JG, who won't make it through Columbus Day sales). But Rodgers was as close as he can be to a one-man show this past year - with a broken thumb at that - and they still were somehow about a .500 team.

We'll never know without a time machine & changing history, but under the identical circumstances I'd be surprised if they won half those 8 games with Carr in his place. Never mind if you broke Carr's right thumb on top of that.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Not sure what mortgaging the future looks like to everyone. Is that 4 1st rounders for ARod?

I 100% want us to get a veteran QB and think we are close. But we still need to rebuild the OL along with getting a QB. Everything else os pretty much set.

If trading 2024 1st and 2023 2nd means mortgaging the future, the. let’s role. Get a tackle at 13, resign our guys and build a cabinet at 1 Jet Drive to house the Lombardi. 

This.  We still have holes to fill so I don’t want to part with our 13th overall picks.  If we had to give up a 2024 first and maybe a 2nd/3rd I could live with that

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But your looking at the games in context of who we played this season. Chances are we won't face Miami's 3rd string , Denvers backup etc.. NE will likely be better than they were this season. Better qb play makes this team better but still is realistically not a SB caliber team. Can it happen,  yes , is it a long long shot -  absolutely

Better QB play literally changes everything, especially going from arguably the worst qb play in the league to Aaron freaking Rodgers… even at 39 years old. Think about not only what it would do for the offense obviously, but also for the defense. To be able to sustain drives will only keep this defense fresh, which it absolutely was not coming down the stretch. 

I truly think people are underselling how good of a football team this is with competent QB play.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

Better QB play literally changes everything, especially going from arguably the worst qb play in the league to Aaron freaking Rodgers… even at 39 years old. Think about not only what it would do for the offense obviously, but also for the defense. To be able to sustain drives will only keep this defense fresh, which it absolutely was not coming down the stretch. 

I truly think people are underselling how good of a football team this is with competent QB play.

Did that better qb play make a difference when the Jets beat GB up in Lambeau? 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I see, so you want to keep moving the goalposts on your challenge. ;) 

• Denver sucked even with their starter this past season, so bfd.
  • Miami's defense wasn't all 3rd stringers, and we scored 6 ****ing points. Despite a major improvement on Tua's part this season, it's not like Miami was unbeatable with Tua at QB either. They were 8-5 with him, not 13-0, including an 0-4 record in December before missing those last 2 games. 
  • NE will likely be better than they were this season? How about let's see it happen before they get anointed for actually accomplishing it. And who cares anyway; they were a 6-9 team outside of the 2 Jets games where Wilson pissed and shit his pants & then rolled around in it, and even then NE required a punt return TD at the end of the game to win one of them. 

Never mind the premise that every other team's injuries are significantly lucky for the Jets, but the Jets' own injuries are waived off as though they didn't happen. 

I’m concerned that Rodgers will be injured quickly with our OL.  If the price is right I’d take Rodgers but I wouldn’t give up multiple first rounders for him either.  This team needs to make moves at OL, LB and QB this off-season.  

I could see Woody pushing for this for ticket sales and to promote the team.  That just makes the team even less desirable for GMs and coaches.  

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I see, so you want to keep moving the goalposts on your challenge. ;) 

• Denver sucked even with their starter this past season, so bfd.
  • Miami's defense wasn't all 3rd stringers, and we scored 6 ****ing points. Despite a major improvement on Tua's part this season, it's not like Miami was unbeatable with Tua at QB either. They were 8-5 with him, not 13-0, including an 0-4 record in December before missing those last 2 games. 
  • NE will likely be better than they were this season? How about let's see it happen before they get anointed for actually accomplishing it. And who cares anyway; they were a 6-9 team outside of the 2 Jets games where Wilson pissed and sh*t his pants & then rolled around in it, and even then NE required a punt return TD at the end of the game to win one of them. 

Never mind the premise that every other team's injuries are significantly lucky for the Jets, but the Jets' own injuries are waived off as though they didn't happen. 

Again. The goalposts have stayed just where they are.  I claim this team is not a SB contender even with AR . You and the masses here are buying the hype that adding him gets us to that spot , plain and simple. 

47 minutes ago, ZachWilsonRightArm said:

So when does Aaron  Rodgers stop being Aaron freaking Rodgers?  Father Time never loses. Is it at 39? 40? 41?  Pro athletes normally fall off a cliff.  NFL history is filled with HOF QBs who completely crapped the bed in their last season or two - many with new teams who foolishly traded for them.  

IMO, the price to bring in an old man is just too high and the risk too great. Everybody is acting like acquiring Rodgers = SB, when I'm not sure it even means a playoff berth let alone a title.  And when it doesn't work out, the Jets are screwed for years.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

And didm't win the SB with very good teams.  People here list the years when the Jets fell short of a SB as the low points in their time as a fan - 69, 82, 85,86, 98, 09, 10 and so on.  Do we really want to go all in for a season or two, fall short, and then endure another 5+ years of terrible football ?  I'm in my 60s and I want a SB badly.  Been there done that with playoff teams.  It's fun but frustrating. It is time to build a perennial playoff team, not an "all-in" for a one or two year shot team.  The best way to win a SB is to take multiple cracks at it with a team that makes the playoffs for a few years.  The Rams are an exception.  Trading multiple draft picks for Rodgers and paying him an obscene amount of money at this stage of his career with this team is a very high risk strategy - much higher than picking Wilson at #2 was.  Wilson cost 1 draft pick and his salary over 4 years is less than one year of Rodgers. 

GB won one single solitary SB with Rodgers and that was 12 years ago in 2010. They did it as the # 6 seed.  That was the only SB he played in.  In all the other years they lost:

• 2007- lost NFC Championship to NYG at home
  • 2009 - lost Wild Card game at Arizona (9-7 team)
  • 2011 - lost Divisional game to NYG at home (9-7 team)
  • 2012 - lost Divisional game to SF (with Kaepernick)
  • 2013 - lost Wild Card game at home to SF (with Kaepernick)
  • 2014 - lost NFC Championship vs Seattle (choked away big lead)
  • 2015 - lost Divisional game vs Arizona
  • 2016 - lost NFC Championship to Atlanta (lost SB to NE)
  • 2017-18 - missed playoffs
  • 2019 - lost NFC Championship to SF (with Garappollo)
  • 2020- Lost NFC Championship to TB at home
  • 2021 - lost Divisional game to SF  at home(with Garappollo)

So what makes it a sure thing that the Jets even win a playoff game, let alone win the SB, with Rodgers now????

I don't think this team is one player away from contending and I certainly don't think Rodgers puts them over the top.  

To use Kevin's poker analogy, making this trade for Rodgers would be like going all in with a decent, but not great, hand.  You don't go all in with a pair of jacks with only the river card left.  That is what this would be.  I want more and better cards before the Jets go all in. 

So how do we get the QB to give us a chance before Sauce/G Wilson/Hall/AVT etc want to get paid? The window is limited.. get a QB who can get us into the postseason and take your chances 

6 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

I’m concerned that Rodgers will be injured quickly with our OL.  If the price is right I’d take Rodgers but I wouldn’t give up multiple first rounders for him either.  This team needs to make moves at OL, LB and QB this off-season.  

I could see Woody pushing for this for ticket sales and to promote the team.  That just makes the team even less desirable for GMs and coaches.  

The Jets don't need Aaron Rodgers for ticket sales. The only direct revenue he gets for that is from luxury boxes which are all sold. The rest of the ticket sales are split with the other teams.

Outside those luxury box sales, which aren't shared, his big bucks comes from the TV deals, just like all NFL teams. Also from the team simply appreciating in value, which he can borrow against without selling it, should he ever want/need to.

Ticket sales? Come on. 

• They drew 624,000 attendance over 8 home games (78,000 per game)
  • Stadium capacity is just under 83,000, but let's round up, and assume every game is now a sell-out.
  • That's 5K more tickets per game x 10 home games (incl preseason, let's say they sell those out, too) = 50K more tickets.
  • Say the average extra ticket (think non-PSL nosebleeds) nets $100/game with concessions for each ticket, just to put a round # on it. Now let's up that to $150 per ticket holder per game, just because, and further presume 100% of that is profit.
  • 50,000 x $150 = $7.5MM, but then 40% of that goes to shared revenue pot with the other teams.
  • So that's $4-5MM more in additional ticket revenue.
  • Rodgers is due $60MM in March, and another $50MM next season.
  • Then remember he's a 75 year-old multi-billionaire who wouldn't know whether or not he had another $5MM at the end of the year anyway.

I'm sure he'd be happy with the prospects of adding Rodgers, but so will most other Jets fans who don't own the team. Ticket sales have little to nothing to do with it; he nets more by ordering his GM to not acquire Rodgers and then spend only to the cap minimum instead.

I don't know where the idea comes from that acquiring Rodgers makes the team less desirable to other GMs and coaches, but also presume the idea is to improve the team so they don't need to go GM and HC shopping in the first place.

There are three above average, veteran starting QBs who are available or presumed to be available. It's not a secret, evil, scheming plan to want the best of the three if they can swing it.

• Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Again. The goalposts have stayed just where they are.  I claim this team is not a SB contender even with AR . You and the masses here are buying the hype that adding him gets us to that spot , plain and simple. 

You made one presumption to insinuate how far away the Jets were, by virtue of not beating any playoff type teams other than Buffalo. Then when I addressed that, week by week, you then changed the parameters - including that of the wins they DID get - to now include the opponents' injuries (but disregard the Jets' own injuries while doing so). As though that wasn't enough, you then further factored into it a presumed future significant improvement to the Patriots before they'd changed a single player. Never mind no such improvements are presumed for the Jets either, even though they aren't due to lose a single crucial starter and are likely to only improve outside the QB position as well after cutting dead weight of their own.

After I addressed your post, to only then change the parameters to rephrase your challenge to something else after that IS moving the goalposts. That's what the expression means, as you surely well know.

Look, oo single acquisition automatically gets the Jets or any team to the Super Bowl "plain and simple" just like that. They still have to actually get there. But with an elite QB taking the place of dog***t, there wasn't one unwinnable game on the schedule this past season. That doesn't therefore mean they would've won them all to finish 17-0, but it means they'd have likely won plenty more and also would have put them in position to be a serious contender.

And no, Jimmy G and his usual midseason IR injury doesn't do that (if he even makes it to midseason). Probably neither does Carr, but I'll allow he's the next-best option. The other side of that coin is those two both need a good amount more help around them than Rodgers does, which is the very point. Neither is the type that can carry a team like a great QB.