The Stupid "Don't mortgage the future" argument

kevinc855

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I don't understand Jet fans sometimes. They hord money and draft picks like they are managing their kids 529 account when in reality the money belongs to the guy  they swear they hate, Woody Johnson, and draft picks outside of 2022 have done very little to ever help this franchise. Remmeber how we spent 2 years teraring down and tanking to get Zach. Yes that was smart. 

So here is why we should 100 percent "mortgage the future"

1) The Jets have a top 5 defense. The window on that type of defense is 2-3 years usually looking around the league. Defense is important, and more important in late season and playoff football. You can't underestimate this. 

2) Breece Hall, Garret Wilson year 2. Elijiah Moore year 3. Uzomah waiting to be unleashed. This offsense has weapons and CAN score with competent QB play, let alone star QB play a guy like Rodgers would provide. 

3) Contracts. All this rookie and 2nd year talent will be asking for extensions come 24 and 25. We simply will not be able to pay them all. OUR WINDOW IS NOW

4) The Jets arent rebuilding anymore, they are in execution phase. Losing a first rounder this year or in 24 is not a game changer or hurt the chances moving forward. If JD is all we may or you make him out to be he should be able to find starters in round 2-3 and depth beyond. 

The Jets need to be aggresive and absolutly mortgage the future. A Superbowl, a deep playoff run will bring legitimacy to this team and the rest will take care of itself. YES NOW IS THE TIME TO GO TO THE BANK AND ASK FOR THAT MORTGAGE. Our franchise depends upon it. 

Sign me up for rogers

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

I'm in favoring of going all in to win a Super Bowl but this fanbase needs to calm down with the ad hominems everytime someone says something they disagree with....just make your case like a big boy and stfu.

Agree 1000%

To be fair I had to look up hominem. 63 years on this earth and first time i have ever seen that word.

English major I am not  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Carr route let's you continue to fortify(draft) the missing pieces on this team while trimming some of the dead weight. Bringing in Arod at 39 and the associated picks/cap prevents the Jets from building the team for one last grasp attempt which results in another rebuild if they don't get there.

I understand that position. The other side of that is that most of our talent is young and on rookie contracts. Hypothetically we're in a window now, with good quarterback play. In several years we'd need a rookie QB on a rookie contract when guys like G Wil, Sauce and AVT get paid.

I think with Rodgers, we can take a run now, and then think about 2025/2026 drafting a new quarterback.

Carr to me is more of a "let's just fight for relevancy" - which is fine, it's still an option, but I don't think it quite leverages the advantages we have now to be a true contender.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem with the Rodgers move isn’t the picks, it’s that the rest of the team isn’t good enough to beat the best teams in the afc.  

I believe the rest of the team is pretty close to BUF, CIN, and KC

When healthy

Defense: BUF > NYJ > KC > Cincy

Offensive Weapons: Cincy > KC > NYJ > BUF

OL: KC is the only team with a complete OL. The other 3, when healthy, are a toss-up.

The biggest difference between the Jets and those 3 teams is the QB. The rest of the team is on par.

• Upvote 2

I don't understand Jet fans sometimes. They hord money and draft picks like they are managing their kids 529 account when in reality the money belongs to the guy  they swear they hate, Woody Johnson, and draft picks outside of 2022 have done very little to ever help this franchise. Remmeber how we spent 2 years teraring down and tanking to get Zach. Yes that was smart. 

1) The Jets have a top 5 defense. The window on that type of defense is 2-3 years usually looking around the league. Defense is important, and more important in late season and playoff football. You can't underestimate this. 

2) Breece Hall, Garret Wilson year 2. Elijiah Moore year 3. Uzomah waiting to be unleashed. This offsense has weapons and CAN score with competent QB play, let alone star QB play a guy like Rodgers would provide. 

3) Contracts. All this rookie and 2nd year talent will be asking for extensions come 24 and 25. We simply will not be able to pay them all. OUR WINDOW IS NOW

4) The Jets arent rebuilding anymore, they are in execution phase. Losing a first rounder this year or in 24 is not a game changer or hurt the chances moving forward. If JD is all we may or you make him out to be he should be able to find starters in round 2-3 and depth beyond. 

The Jets need to be aggresive and absolutly mortgage the future. A Superbowl, a deep playoff run will bring legitimacy to this team and the rest will take care of itself. YES NOW IS THE TIME TO GO TO THE BANK AND ASK FOR THAT MORTGAGE. Our franchise depends upon it. 

I’m in.

Let’s go!

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1

Yes and no.  Nothing wrong with paying for a performer.  However, history has demonstrated that you can not buy a championship.  Buying a "dream team" does not workout in the NFL.  Many have tried and failed.

What you can do, is add that one missing piece to complete an already well appointed roster.

Tampa did it with Tom Brady.  The Rams did it with Mathew Stafford.

In the Jets case, the missing part seems to be the QB.  On the face of it, it would make sense to pay Rodgers or even Carr.  

BUT...

TB had Bruce Arians in the big chair

The Rams had Sean McVay.

By all accounts, excellent NFL head coaches that KNEW offense.  

The Jets have Bobby.  The jury is still out.

They could follow the Rams and TB model of buying the QB to compliment the rest of the roster and get to the mountain top BUT the could still fail due to the HC

And... Possibly even the owner gumming up the works.

The Jets are the Jets.  Rodgers or no Rodgers and they will be until they own another Lombardi

2) Breece Hall  year 2. Uzomah waiting to be unleashed. 

Breece hall is recovering from ACL won't be straight until year 3

CJ Uzomah is slow and done, his priority is producing broadway plays

other than Garrett Wilson there's not much there that's better than what he already has 

by the way the Packers line has 2 all pros out of 5 Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins

the Jets line has 1 maybe possible pro bowler in AVT, a declining former Pro Bowler in Laken and 3 other huge question marks

The Jets defense is better than the Packers' D but it's not like Rodgers is looking at Tyler Conklin and salivating 

the Jets offense is pretty piss poor, tbh. I don't see how they are 1 QB away. They need all sorts of rebuilding especially on the line 

and Rodgers himself isn't even that guy anymore. He's like 40 and not in his prime.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I want Rodgers but part of me doesn't want to bet on him. Rodgers is at a point in his career he looks like Derek Carr. Two first round picks for a quarterback that is giving you Derek Carr production doesn't seem as appealing. Trading for Aaron Rodgers is definitely exciting in a big splash headline grabbing way but there's a good chance it may not deliver the results Jets fans expect.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The defense is good, but most games, especially as the season wound down and our qb play got worse and worse, it became apparent that opposing offenses were playing extremely conservative against us. That was a big reason why we weren’t getting turnovers. They knew the offense was not a threat so the typical game plan was to get up early and then just hold on to the lead. It’s a good defense, could be really good, but I’m not quite sure it’s as good as advertised. 

• Sympathy 1

Do you think this team is as ready as the Rams when they acquired Stafford?

For one first round pick, sure get Rodgers and see what happens, but don’t overpay. But Jets fans need to stop using the word “SuperBowl” when it comes to expectations. The guy made it to the big game once in his career in a much easier conference. The ceiling is likely a playoff win or two. Expecting a SB run is outlandish IMO.

• Upvote 1

That approach makes sense if you believe all the following are true:

1. Hall will come back next year without losing a step due to injuries.
  2. Same of AVT.
  3. The OL can be improved however you think it needs improvement.
  4. The defense is legit and not a reflection of teams this season knowing they can win putting up 24 or fewer points.
  5. Saleh is the guy who can get to a Super Bowl.
  6. Hackett is the OC who can get to a Super Bowl.
  7. That can happen with a brand new OC/offensive system and new QB.
  8. Douglas can get your desired QB.
  9. The desired QB will play well enough to deliver a Super Bowl.

That is a lot that has to go right for the team to make a jump from a sub .500 season ending on a losing streak who just fired their OC. I am maybe a little less confident that happens in a single year. If the team was just a QB and maybe a couple other players away from a legit shot, I'd share your confidence.

Either way, I fully endorse getting one of the few good starters on the market knowing that comes with a heavy price. I don't think it is productive to go into the season with a backup QB as a presumptive starter to compete against ZW and a draft pick, especially with a brand new OC coming in. Depending on who they can get as a vet, Douglas can draft a rookie QB in the next year or two and let the coaches develop the guy from the bench for a year or two. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

You are welcome to your opinion.

32 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I understand that position. The other side of that is that most of our talent is young and on rookie contracts. Hypothetically we're in a window now, with good quarterback play. In several years we'd need a rookie QB on a rookie contract when guys like G Wil, Sauce and AVT get paid.

I think with Rodgers, we can take a run now, and then think about 2025/2026 drafting a new quarterback.

Carr to me is more of a "let's just fight for relevancy" - which is fine, it's still an option, but I don't think it quite leverages the advantages we have now to be a true contender.

If you trade for Rodgers you're most likely looking at a rookie replacement when his time is up, unless Zach shows something this year.  My guess would be they'll draft ARod's future replacement in 2024 and let him get a full year of backing up a future HOFer.  

If the price is right for Rodgers, in a lot of ways I think he's the Jets' best bet for not only winning NOW, but building a long-term winner.  He'll be the bridge from Zach to the next (hopefully non-bust)drafted QB.  Again though, this is only if he doesn't cost us 1st round picks, which depending on who you talk to...

• Upvote 1

Jets have a top 5 D in some stats, in one of the biggest stat that lead you to win or lose they positivly suck, that being creating turnovers.

As for going for it and mortgaging the future  By all means.  As long as you are doing it for the right player.

I am totally unconvinced that Aaron Rodgers is the right guy to mortgage the future over.

• Upvote 4

Good part of bringing in Aaron or Brady on a 2 yr stint is when our own star rookies are looking to be paid, we won't have Aaron or Brady under contract any longer.  And if Zack Wilson watching and learning for 2 seasons behind Aaron or Brady fixes him, the fun we have over the next 2 seasons can continue....with all our star players intact! win-win-win

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets have a top 5 D in some stats, in one of the biggest stat that lead you to win or lose they positivly suck, that being creating turnovers.

As for going for it and mortgaging the future  By all means.  As long as you are doing it for the right player.

I am totally unconvinced that Aaron Rodgers is the right guy to mortgage the future over.

The D also played a very weak schedule and many games vs. backup and #3 QB's this year.

It's a good D.  Not a great D.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

That is a lot that has to go right for the team to make a jump from a sub .500 season ending on a losing streak who just fired their OC. 

no one but dreaming Jets fans believe this roster is 1 QB away from the SB

despite the Bengals turnaround, most of the time teams go from bad --> respectable --> good --> contender the Jets are somewhere between respectable and good 

a player like Rodgers probably wants to go to a contender or retire 

I realize that you need to have a future, but when is that going to come.

we haven’t been to superbowl in 54 years. I am tired of the future and want to see another superbowl in my lifetime. 
so I am with the win now crowd. If we have to work with second and third round picks for the next few years , so be it. There is still free agents to work with to fill that first round void, perhaps trades for first round picks

it is time time to win.

J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's a good D.  Not a great D.

and adding to this point the 2022 Jets roster has 24 free agents, and about 5 guys that are in real danger of being cut for cap reasons 

It's not like they have this stacked roster and just need the cherry on top - besides QB they have almost a complete rebuild several other spots like OL, LB, S 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't have any stats to back up, but it feels intuitive that a team with an offense that can consistently score can force their opponent to play more aggressive/risky and therefore potentially create more turnovers?

I thought early in the year, we forced more turnovers, and then when the offense fell-off-a-cliff, we stopped creating turnovers on D. 

But yea I haven't checked the stats, it's just my dodgy memory. 

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

and adding to this point the 2022 Jets roster has 24 free agents, and about 5 guys that are in real danger of being cut for cap reasons 

It's not like they have this stacked roster and just need the cherry on top - besides QB they have almost a complete rebuild several other spots like OL, LB, S 

I'll be excited if the Jets can get Rogers fairly inexpensively in draft pick compensation, but unless JD can pull off some miracle one year OL rebuild, the Jets aren't sniffing the SB next year, and maybe not even the playoffs. I'd love to be wrong about that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That’s the problem.  If the jets were really just a qb away it would be worth it.  But we’re so jaded by having so many years of virtually no talent, as soon as we get a few good players we think we’re just one guy away.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

The problem with this premise is it's all sunshine , rainbows and hope . It make assumptions.

1) AR will come here and look like the QB he was in GB , he won't be distracted by the NY/NJ spotlight 

Rodgers will be 'distracted by the NY/NJ spotlight'? Are you serious? Hes a 40yr old SB winning vet. He will not let anything like this affect his play on the field. 

2) Breece Hall comes back and plays like he did last season , ignoring it takes most backs a longer time to regain form

I don't think anyone is 'ignoring' the fact that it will take Breece time to recover. But he WILL be back next season. And we have Bam, Carter and whoever JD decides to add as depth. We are also talking about a min of two years (2023/24 seasons) before this group may need to start getting dismantled. So you would think we see Breece at full strength at some point.  

3) Jets have a Top 5 defense . While they played better in portions of the season, they also folded down the stretch like a cheap suit. The D has holes which are harder to fill if they trade for AR. 

Umm, they gave up some critical plays but you are severely oversimplifying their play down the stretch. They played pretty darn well down the stretch. If the offense showed up AT ALL, the Jets would have definitely been in the playoffs. DEFINITELY. The Jets D gave up 3TDs against the Vikings (great offense), 2TDs against the Bills (great offense), 1TD against the Lions (great offense), 1TD against the Jags, 2TDs against Seattle, 0 TDs against the Dolphins. What games were you watching??? The Jets D gave up 9 TDs in their last 6 games. ALL LOSSES. The defense did more than their part. 

Of course, if they trade for AR they take on more money and will need to give up draft capital, so it will be harder to fill holes/re-sign some of their defensive FAs. But as long as they bring back Huff (RFA) and Quincy I don't see any other massive holes that will be hard to fill.     

4) If AR doesn't work out the Jets have just thrown away all the young talent that was accumulated .

'ALL' the young talent that they accumulated? Huh? Well, by that metric, if ANYONE doesn't work out the Jets have just thrown away all the young talent that was accumulated. Its not like they will have to purge a bunch of guys or give up multiple first rounders to get Rodgers. Anyone who fills the QB role and 'doesn't work out', old or young, cheap or pricey, will waste our precious window to win and theoretically, waste our young talent. 

Let JD and staff complete the build, they've made major progress, but now is not the time to go all in . 

People talk about 'going all in'. Well it doesn't have to be all or nothing. The Jets can sign Carr or trade for A-Rod and still draft a QB in the later rounds (Hooker, Haener). Or draft one next year. 

This is not accurate, like, at all, and makes a bunch of assumption as well. 

The more I look into this, the more Rodgers to the Jets makes a ton of sense.

Practically all our high priced players contracts run another one or two years. JFM is the only exception. Rodgers contract is very friendly the next two years.

We can, restructure guys contracts and bring back the majority of our guys if we wanted.

My hope now is to:

1) land Rodgers for 2024 1st and 2023 2nd

2) resign our guys except Fant and Feeney

3) Restructure contracts to make it all work for the next two years

4) Day 1 draft: get some Georgia bulldogs: Jones in the 1st and Van Pran in the 3rd

5) Day 2: draft DTs for depth

Ok, but the team is not one player away. The sooner people realize this the better. Giving away high draft picks for an aging, talented weirdo-who doesn’t know if he wants to play football-doesn’t seem to give me “this is our window” vibes. I would take Rogers as long as they are not giving up high picks for him (a third in 23 and a conditional 3rd in 24 would be my max). I will always prefer to try and build a better team around a younger good qb than a semi good team around an aging, questionable qb. Improving multiple positions is better than one, even if that one is a qb. 

Carr and 23/24 1st rnd picks > Rogers and no 23/24 1st rnd picks and it’s really no contest in my eyes.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The people who want to keep looking towards the draft to solve the QB position are kidding themselves.

The best we’ve mustered in half a century going that route is 2-3 quality seasons of O’Brien damn near 40 years ago and a small tease of Pennington 20 years ago before he wrecked his shoulder.

That’s it

The rest of the QB’s we’ve drafted since Namath left have been utter garbage.

Rodgers is one year removed from an MVP campaign and people are worried about him suddenly nosediving off a cliff…

Give me a break.

He will be 40 in December and his play this year declined from last year. At some point even superstars can’t play well anymore and it’s at least a reasonable possibility at his age. Durability often becomes an issue as well. This move is not without risk and goes against the plan that was supposed to lead to sustained success. Tampa Bay is now looking at a complete rebuild now but for them it was worth it. If you don’t win the Super Bowl, however, which I think is unlikely since Rodgers only won 1 in his prime, it’s probably not worth it. 

35 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is not accurate, like, at all, and makes a bunch of assumption as well. 

The guy has more off the field ventures than a Tik Tok star . CJ Uzomah was killed for being involved with a broadway show, imagine what happens with AR if he comes here and plays poorly. The guy is a me first headcase and we want to dump into the the NYC limelight. 

6 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

7 wins and it's time to push all the chips in the middle of the table. What a time to be alive. 

We were 7-4 at one point before horrendous QB play doomed us.

I think some people are downplaying how much of a difference a QB the caliber of Rodgers makes, even bordering on 40 years old.

People are acting like he fell off a cliff or something last year even though he finished with 3700 yards, 26 TD’s and 12 INT’s despite playing most of the year with a screwed up thumb.

The two previous seasons he won back to back league MVP’s with a combined 85 TD’s to 9 INT’s.

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Yes and no.  Nothing wrong with paying for a performer.  However, history has demonstrated that you can not buy a championship.  Buying a "dream team" does not workout in the NFL.  Many have tried and failed.

What you can do, is add that one missing piece to complete an already well appointed roster.

Tampa did it with Tom Brady.  The Rams did it with Mathew Stafford.

In the Jets case, the missing part seems to be the QB.  On the face of it, it would make sense to pay Rodgers or even Carr.  

BUT...

TB had Bruce Arians in the big chair

The Rams had Sean McVay.

By all accounts, excellent NFL head coaches that KNEW offense.  

The Jets have Bobby.  The jury is still out.

They could follow the Rams and TB model of buying the QB to compliment the rest of the roster and get to the mountain top BUT the could still fail due to the HC

And... Possibly even the owner gumming up the works.

The Jets are the Jets.  Rodgers or no Rodgers and they will be until they own another Lombardi

Bingo if it were that simple the Jerry Jones's and Daniel Snyder's of the world would be winning the SB every year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers1 said:

I realize that you need to have a future, but when is that going to come.

we haven’t been to superbowl in 54 years. I am tired of the future and want to see another superbowl in my lifetime. 
so I am with the win now crowd. If we have to work with second and third round picks for the next few years , so be it. There is still free agents to work with to fill that first round void, perhaps trades for first round picks

it is time time to win.

J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS

Is that taking into account the likely dead cap hit of 50M+ for AR at that point , because in order to stay competitive the Jets FO will need to do cap gymnastics with AR's contract. Plus at that time our now rookie contracts will need extending. If the Jets go in all on Rodgers they better win the SB or else it will be another dark period like after Parcells all in attempt.  I get it people have been waiting forever , but this type of approach has major risks. I'd rather let JD, Saleh and team continue their build w/o leveraging upcoming resources. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

The problem with this premise is it's all sunshine , rainbows and hope . It make assumptions.

1) AR will come here and look like the QB he was in GB , he won't be distracted by the NY/NJ spotlight 

2) Breece Hall comes back and plays like he did last season , ignoring it takes most backs a longer time to regain form

3) Jets have a Top 5 defense . While they played better in portions of the season, they also folded down the stretch like a cheap suit. The D has holes which are harder to fill if they trade for AR. 

4) If AR doesn't work out the Jets have just thrown away all the young talent that was accumulated .

Let JD and staff complete the build, they've made major progress, but now is not the time to go all in . 

There are no guarantees either way, but I'm for taking the best chance they have while they have it.

The overall cap cost isn't as great as it seems on the surface, since Rodgers requires less help around him. Imagine the likely results of putting one of JG or Carr on Green Bay 2022 and no one would want either one for half the price. GB had 1 rookie WR; force-fed a WR3 into their WR1; their mega-expensive LT only started & finished 8 games; their higher draft pick center sucks; Runyan isn't half the player his father was; they still were giving 37 year old Marcedes Lewis half the TE snaps (the other half going to another nobody you wouldn't have heard of if Rodgers wasn't drilling passes between his numbers from 10 yards away). 

The other two bigger name candidates on that team? Consider Carr just put up Rodgers' career worst numbers with Davante Adams & more, and got outright benched. That offense should've been at worst top 5, looking at the personnel. And even with his recent major letdown, Carr's still my distant 2nd-favorite, with JG a much further distant 3rd (if even that) because he probably won't last 5 games & we'll be right back to where we were this season, minus Mike White to give 2 weeks of hope in between.

By the time the rest of this "the right way" build is done just-so, after 1 more year they're going to lose Huff when his RFA season is up; after 2 more years, Garrett Wilson, Sauce, and maybe Hall will want extensions after their 3rd seasons like so many other premiere players (we haven't had to deal with that in a while). AVT won't be far behind them; ditto Moore if he takes a leap forward with much better QB play & play calling in general. And that's after they do extend QW.

The rainy day we're saving for may just end up being treading of water with a 2-game improvement until, before you know it, the Jets have to extend & re-sign this same young core of players at much higher dollars & that unique window is closed absent them getting luckier than they've ever been on drafting a worthy FQB. 

Anyway that's my take.

• Upvote 2