TP: League sources dish on ZW, Jet coaching moves at Shrine Bowl

19 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Oh the irony of you laughing at people’s sources.

I used to do some work with Pauline on draft related stuff, he has connections. He’s not right about everything he reports, but no one is except for maybe Schefter.

Tony is very good but there are too many players to be on top of everything, that’s why a million guys bust and undrafted guys become starters and even All- pros.

You take your typical Big Ten or SEC involved fan/ booster who has been following recruits since HS and has seen them play every snap of their entire careers and they are going to have more knowledge about those players than Tony or any of these gurus can possibly acquire, just too many teams and players and not enough time to understand all their stories and mitigating circumstances.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

I literally could not think of a less legitimate "insider" than Tony the Wiz. He has no sources and just throw sh*t at the wall year after year. This is why he is a second rate NFL talking head. Maybe the guys who write for fansided and say they write for SI like Dov whatever his name is.

I think Pauline definitely had sources in the organization as he called the McCagnan firing and Joe Douglas replacment…but I think his sources died with that regime change.

He kept saying “I’m hearing Martindale is a lock for the Jets next coach.” And we never even interviewed the guy back when Saleh was hired and he also never mentioned Saleh being on the Jets radar.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Interesting take about Carter.  Tennessee OL stunk this year with massive injury issues but I always thought they were a good unit under him the previous years

The quickest road to generate clicks and eyeballs is to drag the Jets.  Tried and true formula utilized by Jets beat reporters, national guys like Peter King, and the blogosphere for years.  Hackett and Carter are the latest entries in this annual ritual...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

The reason why I know the story is BS is because Woody can care less about Zach; the coaching staff was all for a Jimmy G kind of being the ceiling addition whereas Woody and the business side of the building is driving the superstar QB-or-bust narrative. It’s always been Douglas/his confidants and Saleh who want to be patient with Zach.  

The football guys want  to keep him. Aren’t they the ones who should make the decisions concerning players?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What makes his work lazy. He’s just passing on what he hears. 

He makes up narratives (or talks to people who make up narratives) out of convenience. He’s not actually digging or doing the work the way a lot of insiders presumably used to. He’s become a piggybacker when it comes to NFL stories. 

Where he still contributes is inside information on prospects because he does have connections with the college scouting community. Yet he never updates his draft rankings and leaves his “pros/cons/summary”  blank for all of his scouting reports… might complete one or two each year. Again just comes off as extremely lazy

9 hours ago, Leftylarry said:

Tony is very good but there are too many players to be on top of everything, that’s why a million guys bust and undrafted guys become starters and even All- pros.

You take your typical Big Ten or SEC involved fan/ booster who has been following recruits since HS and has seen them play every snap of their entire careers and they are going to have more knowledge about those players than Tony or any of these gurus can possibly acquire, just too many teams and players and not enough time to understand all their stories and mitigating circumstances.

HOLY CRAP LEFTY LARRY Hey man Welcome I haven't seen you on a board since Matt's Greenhouse!

11 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Nah Becton is a wasted draft pick fat slob who will never amount to anything - or at least that's what i've been told ad nauseum here. 

He's a #11 overall pick who has played a total of 15 full or partial games over three full seasons.  Less than 30% availability all told.  In the games he played, he was very good in the run game, and average in pass protection.

Are you happy with Becton so far?

Do you think he has a sure-thing bright future at this point?

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Dcat said:

BTW, the article is by TP, not to be confused with toilet paper, Tony Pauline.

He cites “league sources” as having intimate knowledge of jet front office workings. Unless it’s coming from someone in the jets organization it is speculation. And i doubt anything is coming from inside the jets, JD fixed that leaky boat awhile back.

• Post of the Week 2

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

He's a #11 overall pick who has played a total of 15 full or partial games over three full seasons.  Less than 30% availability all told.  In the games he played, he was very good in the run game, and average in pass protection.

Am I happy with his production due mainly to injuries - No . Are Niners fans happy with Brock Purdy's performance yesterday . Injuries are part of the game regardless of where you are drafted. Doesn't mean the guys a bust and doesn't mean he is finished as many here boldly claim. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Am I happy with his production due mainly to injuries - No.

So now we've established that you are not happy with him, the same way the people you were referencing aren't happy with him. 

You just express it differently.

Injuries are part of the game regardless of where you are drafted. Doesn't mean the guys a bust

Given what we're gotten so far, you wouldn't call him a bust, so far?  If not, what do you choose to call what we've gotten so far from him?

If a #11 overall pick gets hurt, and hurt, and hurt, that isn't a bust for the team that picked him, because "injuries happen"?  When did injuries exclude picks from being busts?

You do understand that this coming 2023 season is his 4th year, and the Jets Organization needs to make a call on keeping him or not.

Time is very much a factor.  If he were to get hurt again, or even just not perform at a high level, and the Jets do not take his 5th year option, you wouldn't call that a bust?

and doesn't mean he is finished as many here boldly claim. 

Ok, knowing he's going into his decision year for the Jets, what is your opinion as to his future here with the Jets?

It's easy to discount others prediction/analysis from the sidelines.  What is YOUR prediction/analysis as to his future?

23 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

There is some good news, though. Jets offensive tackle Mehki Becton is training hard this offseason and tipping the scales under 370 pounds —

about 40 pounds lighter than he was one year ago.

Becton has moved on from offensive line trainer Duke Mayweather and is training in New Jersey at the Parisi facility, which has helped his conditioning. With new coaches leading the Jets’ offense, the hope is Becton can get back to where he was as a rookie in 2020 when he had a terrific season at left tackle.

That's the Speed School guy in Fair Lawn, right?  It is probably good that he is training in NJ no matter what.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

@football guy and @Mogglez get us info from sources that actually are proven to be pretty right on. Thank you both. Other than them, unless it’s Schefter or Rap, proceed at your own risk. The rest of these guys are basement dwellers who should be on Homeland or 24.

FG also seems to present what his sources tell him as the definitive right thing to do, and it typically hasn’t been. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So now we've established that you are not happy with him, the same way the people you were referencing aren't happy with him. 

You just express it differently.

Given what we're gotten so far, you wouldn't call him a bust, so far?  If not, what do you choose to call what we've gotten so far from him?

If a #11 overall pick gets hurt, and hurt, and hurt, that isn't a bust for the team that picked him, because "injuries happen"?  When did injuries exclude picks from being busts?

You do understand that this coming 2023 season is his 4th year, and the Jets Organization needs to make a call on keeping him or not.

Time is very much a factor.  If he were to get hurt again, or even just not perform at a high level, and the Jets do not take his 5th year option, you wouldn't call that a bust?

Ok, knowing he's going into his decision year for the Jets, what is your opinion as to his future here with the Jets?

It's easy to discount others prediction/analysis from the sidelines.  What is YOUR prediction/analysis as to his future?

No , imo a bust is someone who plays , but plays very poorly consistently on the field. I don't consider someone who gets injured a bust, it's just unfortunate that he's been injured.  Yes, I realize if he doesn't recover and contribute in 2023 he will likely not get extended . I still believe that if he can stay on the field he represents a massive upgrade over some of the players we trotted out onto the field at OT. 

Again I can see fans questioning whether the pick added value to the team but the incessant personal attacks and bashing of the guy saying he is over his weight is childish . And I know no one would have the balls to say those things to his face in person with the exception of Kevin who seems to get his jolly's getting twisted into a pretzel by bigger men. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

@football guy and @Mogglez get us info from sources that actually are proven to be pretty right on. Thank you both. Other than them, unless it’s Schefter or Rap, proceed at your own risk. The rest of these guys are basement dwellers who should be on Homeland or 24.

Is this suppose to be an insult?  cause the first few season of each were pretty good!

The rest of these guys are basement dwellers who should be on Homeland or 24

• More Ugh 1

To be honest, Mike Lafluer is new at calling plays there is an art to it and making adjustments is the most critical piece. Having McVey as a head coach go give him tutelage he will be better, new HC doesn’t always get the best positional coaches right away and that is where they fail.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fish, when I saw that clip of him looking absolutely spent, fat, out of shape, his hands on his knees, and then the next play BOOM! and he was out for the season. To me, he looked like a guy who was just about to quit his job, and then God gave him one more chance to decide during the layoff from the injury if that was what he really wanted to do.

38 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Fish, when I saw that clip of him looking absolutely spent, fat, out of shape, his hands on his knees, and then the next play BOOM! and he was out for the season. To me, he looked like a guy who was just about to quit his job, and then God gave him one more chance to decide during the layoff from the injury if that was what he really wanted to do.

I'm not writing him off yet.  I'm doubtful, but you're right, sometimes some people (especially young people) need a wake up call.  Maybe this was it for him.

1 hour ago, SoJetsy said:

To be honest, Mike Lafluer is new at calling plays there is an art to it and making adjustments is the most critical piece. Having McVey as a head coach go give him tutelage he will be better, new HC doesn’t always get the best positional coaches right away and that is where they fail.

What if McVay never talks directly to him and deals with him like MLF did Jets players. Do we blame McVay or Lafleur ?