Why the Jets Should Change Jermaine Johnson's Position

LIJetsFan

27 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok a little background about this former scout Daniel Kelly. He worked for the Jets for 4 years and they fired him and now all he does is trash them 

He was also never a "scout".  He was an entry-level staffer in the scouting department, who never rose above that. Basically, he compiled data and sorted other people's scouting reports for the front office. Then he got fired and never worked for an NFL team again.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

Personally I liked karlaftis more coming out, but JJ still seems like he can be a solid well rounded edge. I don’t see a dominant pass rusher though 

Yeah, same.  I liked Karlaftis more too, although I think JJ played well in the limited time he was in there.  The Jets rotate on DL a lot, so his time was always likely to be limited as a rookie.  When he was on the field, he looked good.  Agree he's never going to be a stud pass-rusher but he can become a very solid 3-down end who plays the run well and gets around 8 sacks a year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was just having fun with you after those back to back of posts. 

I know.  I don't think enough people realize just how insane Kelly is.  Reading the Aaron Hernandez "Preacher" article is like pure horror.  Yet we use his takes on the NY Jets around here?  yikes

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This stooge can’t even wait one offseason to tag JJ as a bust. Couldn’t give him one offseason in the weight room to gain strength & speed which will help him move the OLmen he faces. Author also fails to address Saleh’s rotational pass rush mantra to keep players fresh. JJ was a rotational player in ‘22. Heck, even Q only played 

Lawson, who will be gone or renegotiated this season, played 58%, Clemons 27%. It’s a rotation. I like JJ as a person and as a player. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt off his rookie season.

image.thumb.png.2595310fbd181dc84bcb101130e7bea0.png

With Lawson likely gone there will be more snaps at DE, but if JFM, Huff, and Clemons consume most of those snaps then it may make sense for JJ to go to OLB in place of QW since QW may be leaving via FA.

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

With Lawson likely gone there will be more snaps at DE, but if JFM, Huff, and Clemons consume most of those snaps then it may make sense for JJ to do to OLB in place of QW.

JJ faster than Quincy straight line, but I’d prefer to not lose another 1-2 years teaching him a new position. Keep Quincy and continue to develop JJ.

Quincy Williams Overview
Fast, explosive athlete who will be targeted as a run-and-hit outside linebacker with the ability to stalk from sideline to sideline. Williams is aggressive in his response to ball-carriers but can be slow to diagnose and defeat blockers during his process. His speed, aggression and explosiveness are nice traits to unleash on special teams while he is being developed as a 4-3 WILL linebacker.
Strengths
  • Tackle machine with 111 total and 78 solos his senior season
  • Ran 4.59 and carries incredible 81-inch wingspan on sub 6-foot frame
  • Carries thick trunk
  • Explosive leaping numbers at pro day
  • Big second-gear burst to track down ball-carriers
  • Aggressive acceleration through contact with thoughtful wrap-up
  • Has soft hands and long speed to pick it and go
  • Possesses blitz and special teams talent.
Weaknesses
  • Just one season of true starter's production
  • Instincts are slightly below average
  • Can be slow to see it unfold and respond
  • Much better downhill than flowing laterally
  • Change-of-direction quickness is average
  • Undersized as a pro linebacker.
  • Upvote 3

Is this take that he'll never be a stud pass rusher based on anything other than his rookie year?  Because I wonder how many people were saying the same about Quinnen after his rookie season.  I'd rather wait to see what this kid can do with a year's worth of experience and getting around 50% of the snaps.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Can we stop posting articles by Daniel Kelly? Dude has a vendetta. 

Overall, very nice post.  :)  

To address the above I agree this guy is an a$$ BUT I'm so sick of all the QB angst posts that I thought I'd try to change things up a bit with this topic.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

If Johnson was 22 his year would be fine. At 25 I was expecting more. Never into drafting older rookies (big Mike McCagnan move)

What does his age have to do with him being a rookie learning the NFL game at a position where the transition period can take time? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Overall, very nice post.  :)  

To address the above I agree this guy is an a$$ BUT I'm so sick of all the QB angst posts that I thought I'd try to change things up a bit with this topic.  

I appreciate that. That is why I gave you a detailed response about my thoughts on the subject. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

JJ faster than Quincy straight line, but I’d prefer to not lose another 1-2 years teaching him a new position. Keep Quincy and continue to develop JJ.

Quincy Williams Overview
Fast, explosive athlete who will be targeted as a run-and-hit outside linebacker with the ability to stalk from sideline to sideline. Williams is aggressive in his response to ball-carriers but can be slow to diagnose and defeat blockers during his process. His speed, aggression and explosiveness are nice traits to unleash on special teams while he is being developed as a 4-3 WILL linebacker.
Strengths
  • Tackle machine with 111 total and 78 solos his senior season
  • Ran 4.59 and carries incredible 81-inch wingspan on sub 6-foot frame
  • Carries thick trunk
  • Explosive leaping numbers at pro day
  • Big second-gear burst to track down ball-carriers
  • Aggressive acceleration through contact with thoughtful wrap-up
  • Has soft hands and long speed to pick it and go
  • Possesses blitz and special teams talent.
Weaknesses
  • Just one season of true starter's production
  • Instincts are slightly below average
  • Can be slow to see it unfold and respond
  • Much better downhill than flowing laterally
  • Change-of-direction quickness is average
  • Undersized as a pro linebacker.

Nice post, thank you :) 

1. Moving JJ to OLB is a terrible idea. He just doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed. His hips are too stiff. He's not good enough in coverage. I mean, I can keep going...He'd only be good as a pass rushing/run-stuffing OLB, in which case- just keep him at DE! 

2. Some have said this already but no mention of Saleh's rotation. It's absurd. 

3. You really can't just look at snap count and start thinking the guy needs to change position. Its ridiculous. JJ is very good at setting the edge. He's not a speed rusher but can get to the QB. He can drop into zone. He's really a 3 down DE, its just, again- Salehs rotation. And yes, you gotta watch the tape. Whenever he was on field, almost always he was making plays and doing something good- rather than making mistakes. This includes special teams! Which is maybe, just maybe, as a rookie, the Jets had him play specials? 

4. When you look at the roster, the depth at the D-line, the FAs, and most likely the extra cap space we will need to go out and get a QB and fortify the O-line...I think Clemons and JJ will have an expanded role in 2023. Both guys should get more snaps and put up bigger numbers in 2023.    

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

When you look at the Draft picks from 2022, there would appear to be many players picked after JJ who would have been better.  Devin Lloyd for one.  

Lbs are cheap in fa. Edges are not. This is why you draft premium positions (qb, wr, LT, edge, cb) in the first round and worry about the rest later 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

1. Moving JJ to OLB is a terrible idea. He just doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed. His hips are too stiff. He's not good enough in coverage. I mean, I can keep going...He'd only be good as a pass rushing/run-stuffing OLB, in which case- just keep him at DE! 

2. Some have said this already but no mention of Saleh's rotation. It's absurd. 

3. You really can't just look at snap count and start thinking the guy needs to change position. Its ridiculous. JJ is very good at setting the edge. He's not a speed rusher but can get to the QB. He can drop into zone. He's really a 3 down DE, its just, again- Salehs rotation. And yes, you gotta watch the tape. Whenever he was on field, almost always he was making plays and doing something good- rather than making mistakes. This includes special teams! Which is maybe, just maybe, as a rookie, the Jets had him play specials? 

4. When you look at the roster, the depth at the D-line, the FAs, and most likely the extra cap space we will need to go out and get a QB and fortify the O-line...I think Clemons and JJ will have an expanded role in 2023. Both guys should get more snaps and put up bigger numbers in 2023.    

IMO this is why Lawson getting cut is probably the biggest no-brainer of the offseason.  Just drafted two DEs last year, including one who was a 1st rounder that they had a man crush on and moved up for.  They both got their bearings last year, and it's time for them to get a greater responsibility.  Lawson is dunzo here.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

IMO this is why Lawson getting cut is probably the biggest no-brainer of the offseason.  Just drafted two DEs last year, including one who was a 1st rounder that they had a man crush on and moved up for.  They both got their bearings last year, and it's time for them to get a greater responsibility.  Lawson is dunzo here.  

I don’t know whether Lawson is the third most valuable DE of those three.

But with Huff as well, and likely having to pay a QB and some OL, I don’t think the Jets have a choice on whether to cut him..  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Agreed.  Both the JJ and Clemons picks have very much improved our roster.   Anyone who thinks Lawson is a keeper is IMHO delusional.  

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

He was also never a "scout".  He was an entry-level staffer in the scouting department, who never rose above that. Basically, he compiled data and sorted other people's scouting reports for the front office. Then he got fired and never worked for an NFL team again.

Well. . .

he greatest and most successful coach in the history of the National Football League, New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick. My interview for a job in pro scouting with the New York Jets came down to me sitting across from Bill Belichick, looking him in the eyes and me convincing him to hire me

If only Dan Kelly could have sat across from Bill Belichick and convince him why he shouldn't be fired.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

If Johnson was 22 his year would be fine. At 25 I was expecting more. Never into drafting older rookies (big Mike McCagnan move)

I never understood this line of thinking , regardless of his age the guy is still a rookie in the NFL , learning new systems and techniques. 

If you want to argue he should be stronger and more physically mature then I might buy it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

(note by OP: somewhat of an interesting take except for his 5th round grade the last sentence which taint the entire article) 

Why the Jets Should Change Jermaine Johnson's Position

This former scout thinks Jermaine Johnson needs to change positions in order to be an impactful defender going forward.

DANIEL KELLY 16 HOURS AGO 

Several rookies shined for the Jets, but first-round pick Jermaine Johnson wasn't one of them.

Johnson, who was the third of three first-round picks for New York in the 2022 NFL Draft (No. 26 overall) got selected after the team took cornerback Ahmad Gardner (No. 4) and wide receiver Garrett Wilson (No. 10).

Gardner was recently named as the Defensive Rookie of the Year and Wilson was named as the Offensive Rookie of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America.

What happened to Johnson?

To make a long story short, he never materialized.

Johnson battled injuries for a spell, and played in 14 games while logging a 27.42% defensive snap count.

His special teams snap count was almost as high at 23.70%.

Anytime you see a first-round defender playing almost as much on special teams as his regular defensive position, this is a very bad sign.

The low defensive snap count additionally reveals his coaches didn't see enough out of Johnson in practice or the games, to push those in front of him on the depth chart for the rookie to have more playing time.

Johnson finished the season with 29 tackles (18 solo, 11 assists) and 2.5 sacks.

What do these stats tell us?

Johnson's stats further reflect why he had such low snap count, and his stats say he's not doing enough of what the Jets drafted him to do, which is get to the quarterback.

This is no surprise to me, as I had a 2022 documented pre-draft fifth-round grade on Johnson. His college game film revealed to me that he lacked the power, bend and pass rush moves it would take to become a dominant edge rusher in the National Football League.

Johnson looked like a very vanilla pass rusher at Florida State.

However, the two things he had going for him on game film were his hustle and effort, and that's in fact how he made it from Last Chance U to where he is today.

It is also that hustle and effort that caused him to make that spectacular sack of Buffalo's quarterback Josh Allen, that everyone still loves to reminisce about.

Allen was rolling out to Johnson's side and after Johnson managed to get off his block, he raced out and tripped up the Bills' dynamic passer for a sack.

It was a huge play and it was the thing highlights are made of.

While it was only one play, it showed something very telling. That one play illustrated what Johnson's capabilities are when he doesn't have an offensive lineman right in his face to deal with.

Should the Jets explore moving Johnson to outside linebacker?

From a scouting standpoint, in terms of raw characteristics, the move makes sense and it plays more to Johnson's strengths.

It may also become a move New York will have to make out of necessity.

There is little chance the Jets will be able to afford to bring back their second-leading tackler these past two seasons: free agent, Quincy WIlliams.

With the distinct possibility of losing him, sliding a raw dynamic athlete who excels at making plays in space sounds more appealing by the second.

What's the alternative?

Another season of low snap count and sack production for Johnson, as he continues to flounder on the edge?

As an evaluator, I believe moving Johnson to outside linebacker would be extremely beneficial to both him and to the team.

If not, there is a very strong chance Johnson becomes a bust. 

This dude is an idiot.  Can't belive he's duped so many people with his "former scout" claims.

He literally said that while working for the Jets, he figured out the Broncos offense and correctly predicted everything they ran.  Afte that the Jets fired him and nobody else gave him a job?

Right.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Anytime someone says ex scout in every sentence they type the only thing I know for sure is they were never a scout.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Let's move JJ to outside linebacker because we can't get enough of seeing our linebackers be bad in coverage.

Or let's leave the guy where he is because he just had a pretty good season and was down in the rotation because there is talent ahead of him.

Tough call.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

the writer makes a lot of bold claims as if they are fact.  

He writes off keeping Quincy Williams as a lost cause.  Interestingly, both brothers are up for renegotiation this year and despite what a few reality-challenged people here think, Quinnen is staying.  Quincy posted this last month:

Not to say either brother is going to give a discount...they both deserve the bag.  But I don't have a sense of Quincy's value.  Is he a $5M/year guy?  $8M/year?  He was a solid part of this defense and unlike the unit as a whole, he played hard right up until the last game, finishing up with 10 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 Sack and 1 QB Hit against Miami.

Can they replace him with someone equal or better?  Maybe.  But will it save them money?  Yeah, if JJ2 could do it, then sure, but then we need to acquire another DE.  All things being equal, I'd love to see Quincy back, and I think the Jets would too.

• Upvote 2

- Yeah it is shocking how few sacks you get when you play 20% of the snaps.

- If I am Joe Douglas there is o% chhance in the whole world of me picking a Dlinean in this draft before about round 4 or 5, zero chance.  Saleh talked Douglas into trading up for him then hardly payed him.

In any case he should just step into the Lawson rill this year as he is undoubtedly gone.

• Sympathy 1