Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Just out of curiosity, but how do you know this without naming names?  Do you know someone in the front office?

Just an acquaintance/friend of mine I speak to from time to time that knows I'm a diehard. Whenever I get anything I usually share. 

• Upvote 3

This is what I don’t understand:

• I read that the Packers want this to be after June 1, I guess to spread out their cap hit.  Why don’t they just find a couple of players under contract to restructure?  This way the Packers could seal this up and maybe get a 2023 draft pick.
  • The Packers are allowed to trade Rodgers without restriction.  I don’t quite get the Rodgers sell job, unless they are trying to convince him not to retire.  As Parcells said, if you are talking about retiring, you are retired.  That seems like a lot of trouble. 
  • It sounds like JD is playing hardball.  That is good.  We are the only buyer of this contract, which is not a good sign. 
  • If the Jets get Rodgers they should make Zippy sign an extension-Rodgers teaches him how to play, and Zippy takes over in 2025, at a fair price to compensate for Rodgers cap hit-$30mm in each of 2025 and 2026 when he leaves.  Ouch. 
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Dodgy list. Favrebwas 8-3 before he got hurt. Neil O'Donnell doesn't belong anywhere with those other names, and ARod hasn't signed yet. How about thisnlist:

Kevin Mawae

Curtis Martin

Bart Scott

Thomas Jones

Vinny T it works both ways....

All great signings. 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

This is what I don’t understand:

• I read that the Packers want this to be after June 1, I guess to spread out their cap hit.  Why don’t they just find a couple of players under contract to restructure?  This way the Packers could seal this up and maybe get a 2023 draft pick.
  • The Packers are allowed to trade Rodgers without restriction.  I don’t quite get the Rodgers sell job, unless they are trying to convince him not to retire.  As Parcells said, if you are talking about retiring, you are retired.  That seems like a lot of trouble. 
  • It sounds like JD is playing hardball.  That is good.  We are the only buyer of this contract, which is not a good sign. 
  • If the Jets get Rodgers they should make Zippy sign an extension-Rodgers teaches him how to play, and Zippy takes over in 2025, at a fair price to compensate for Rodgers cap hit-$30mm in each of 2025 and 2026 when he leaves.  Ouch. 

I will speak on points 2 and 4.

On point 2, they basically need Rodgers permission or he can just up and retire.

On point 4.  Zach sucks and Rodgers isn’t going to magically tutor him to greatness like some hear believe so no. 

On point 1 I don’t think it’s true because why would they grant access now for Rodgers to speak to the Jets?  I don’t know the details however.  

JD is playing hardball because he has the leverage with the Packers.  It’s clear the Packers want Rodgers to move on but they still own his massive contract.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

If Joe Douglas didn;t make an offer he cant refuse the man has failed at GM

Unless ya'll wana roll with Tanehill/Brisset blah blah aka 7-10 again

But all I’ve read here for the past 6 months is anyone would be better than ZW. 

So what is it now?  Anyone would be better than ZW, Tannehill, Brisset, ____,____,____? 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

But all I’ve read here for the past 6 months is anyone would be better than ZW. 

So what is it now?  Anyone would be better than ZW, Tannehill, Brisset, ____,____,____? 

You have to start at least by aiming higher.  When those options are exhausted then you go to the Tannehill and Brisset caliber.  The statement still stands that anyone is better than ZW however.  

42 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

My gut says they were already close talking today.  JD asks Rodgers if they all meet in person today and bring Woody is there a possibility they can get a deal in place and I’m pretty sure Rodgers answered yes or else why would they  quickly get on a 5 hour flight to California?  

Agree with you on this.  Don't understand the whole "Rodgers contemplating retirement" angle at all.  That's what he supposedly was working on while locked up in a bomb shelter for five days...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2