Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

My hope is that it will be done before the draft.  That being said, if this came down to a draft day deal because a player GB really likes slid, so now they’re willing to move off of something so that they can negotiate a swap of #13 and #15, I wouldn’t be completely stunned.  Ultimately, I don’t believe that will be the case, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t put a hard deadline on anything just yet.

I wasn't saying hard deadline but it is a substantial deadline, and something that I think the packers ultimately want of picks this year... If it goes beyond the draft it becomes a lot more mucky for the jets but the compensation for Rodgers ultimately gets worse because the value of this draft is now gone. Seems silly that they turn down any compensation this year but who knows maybe there is a lot of bad blood. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I swear this isn’t trolling, but I can see Rodgers starting the season as GBs QB and Zach as ours. 
Don’t tell me you haven’t either, lol.

For your information Mr! Last time that happen we beat Green Bay!! 

- Lisa Wilson 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

For your information Mr! Last time that happen we beat Green Bay!! 

- Lisa Wilson 

I won’t watch Zach start another game as a NYJ. Getting Rodgers is fine but here we go again stacking the rest of the QB room with ridiculous incompetents. One injury away from me opting out of the season.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

I won’t watch Zach start another game as a NYJ. Getting Rodgers is fine but here we go again stacking the rest of the QB room with ridiculous incompetents. One injury away from me opting out of the season.

Me too! If that happens I’m coming to visit you in Europe on  one Sunday and eat Italy. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Did you also find it hard to believe that jamal adams would be traded after he roasted the coach, gm and owner and then took a flame thrower to Florham Park?

That's about the level of animosity between AR and GB right now. And the jamal situation changed from "he'll be a jet for life" to goner in the course of a month. Many like you which can't understand why he's being traded think everyone is an emotionless robotic chess piece. These people are humans, and feelings matter sometimes and get in the way. They're not just inanimate assets to be used and traded as seen fit...

Things change.   Last year Love didn't appear ready.   The Packers had a couple year super bowl window with Rodgers.

This past year Love took some steps forward and needs to now start.   The Packers, as we know, do indeed NOT have a super bowl window.   This team needs a mini rebuild.   Why keep Rodgers when our next window won't start till 2024 or 2025 at the earliest?  Not sure why that is so hard to figure out.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Meh I feel the NFL has took control of the situation and told both parties no deal gets announced till draft we want all the cheap publicity we can get.

The problem with that is why would the packers agree to that.   Rodgers is training hard for the season right now.   What if he gets hurt?

8 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I expected them to be asking for more, the way this process has been. Where are the calls for two firsts, Sauce, GW, and Hall?

Saw one person put on Facebook put that he will settle now for #13 #42 this year plus our first in 2024 and a second in 2025 just to get it done as dragging on god knows what he expected originally 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You know what bothers me about this trade?
We all say the GB GM is an idiot for giving Rodgers that contract, but we’re willing to let them have had one last run with him and then take it all off their hands… and pay them draft capital for the privilege of doing so.

And yet the guys in Green Bay are the idiots, right?

(this is how you troll, btw)

GB could have paid Rodgers for one year with voidable years of something and then moved on this year.  Kind of like what the Patriots did with Brady.   But GB, with Rodgers help, crafted a risky contract that guaranteed Rodgers another $60mm-$110mm but that was trade friendly because of the way the options were structured.   
GB thought that they could rid themselves of Rodgers and get a big draft haul, and were willing to take the chance on this guaranty.  

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

About three weeks ago? I’m surprised you missed it, you’re usually really good with gathering news?

It was something like “of course the compensation changes… everything does. The parameters of the deal will be reset on our side.”

it might have been on the site where @Bobby816 is a mod? (Maybe he remembers it?)

I’m honestly not sure where though, but that quote stuck with me. He definitely said that.

Yes that’s the GB MOD on FF.

They have 2 MODs there. 1 has a good head on his shoulders and actually calls out the posters on there that have outrageous takes. And kind of is relatively when he thinks what the compensation will be. The other MOD is rather level headed but does seem to think GB has all the power here. It was him who thinks they’ll get more post draft. They also think post draft at least 1 team besides us will be in on him. A team that misses out on a QB, a team that seems to think the way they drafted makes them a win now team, etc. They still think SF is big time in on this, keep in mind. That Carlton reports are actually worth something.

At this stage I think we’re giving up 42 or 43 (really doesn’t matter which one bc we likely are going C there IMO and GB doesn’t need a C). And a 2nd next year. I’d like no conditions to that 2nd. Just make it a 2nd and that’s it. If there’s conditions I don’t want it any less that a SB appearance as to how it goes to a 1st. The easier it goes to a 1st the more we over payed. And I think we do get coverage if he retires after 2023. I think at worst we should get a 3rd in 2025 back. But the easier it is for them for that 2024 2nd to become a 1st the more it pushes it to where we should demand a 2nd in return if he retires.

So I think no trade is done until we’re on the clock at 42 or 43 on Friday.

Luckily I have a busy week… so my week will fly by and it’ll be Thursday and Friday before I know it

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yes that’s the GB MOD on FF.

They have 2 MODs there. 1 has a good head on his shoulders and actually calls out the posters on there that have outrageous takes. And kind of is relatively when he thinks what the compensation will be. The other MOD is rather level headed but does seem to think GB has all the power here. It was him who thinks they’ll get more post draft. They also think post draft at least 1 team besides us will be in on him. A team that misses out on a QB, a team that seems to think the way they drafted makes them a win now team, etc. They still think SF is big time in on this, keep in mind. That Carlton reports are actually worth something.

At this stage I think we’re giving up 42 or 43 (really doesn’t matter which one bc we likely are going C there IMO and GB doesn’t need a C). And a 2nd next year. I’d like no conditions to that 2nd. Just make it a 2nd and that’s it. If there’s conditions I don’t want it any less that a SB appearance as to how it goes to a 1st. The easier it goes to a 1st the more we over payed. And I think we do get coverage if he retires after 2023. I think at worst we should get a 3rd in 2025 back. But the easier it is for them for that 2024 2nd to become a 1st the more it pushes it to where we should demand a 2nd in return if he retires.

So I think no trade is done until we’re on the clock at 42 or 43 on Friday.

Luckily I have a busy week… so my week will fly by and it’ll be Thursday and Friday before I know it

So I looked into this morning. All NFL teams have to be under the cap as soon as the new league year starts. 
As far as I can tell, if the trade involves 2023 draft picks, it has to be submitted to the league I would assume rather promptly, so the Jets need to be under the cap when they take on Rodgers deal. 

I think it happens Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.  I don’t know how you submit a renegotiated deal and clear space and blah blah blah on the clock 

the only on the clock scenario I think they could pull off is including Davis in the deal or cutting him on the spot. 

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

So I looked into this morning. All NFL teams have to be under the cap as soon as the new league year starts. 
As far as I can tell, if the trade involves 2023 draft picks, it has to be submitted to the league I would assume rather promptly, so the Jets need to be under the cap when they take on Rodgers deal. 

I think it happens Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.  I don’t know how you submit a renegotiated deal and clear space and blah blah blah on the clock 

the only on the clock scenario I think they could pull off is including Davis in the deal or cutting him on the spot. 

Selfishly I’d like for the trade to go down post draft, so we can use all our picks. But I do think it goes down where GB does get 42 or 43. I’ll be honest and admit I don’t know anything about how teams have to comply with the cap during the process. I thought it didn’t matter as long as you were under it by the league year. We actually have several ways to shed cap if we need to still. So it’s not an issue for us. We have Davis, Whitehead and others we can still cut. 

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Selfishly I’d like for the trade to go down post draft, so we can use all our picks. But I do think it goes down where GB does get 42 or 43. I’ll be honest and admit I don’t know anything about how teams have to comply with the cap during the process. I thought it didn’t matter as long as you were under it by the league year. We actually have several ways to shed cap if we need to still. So it’s not an issue for us. We have Davis, Whitehead and others we can still cut. 

The league year began march 15th. I think the next domino to fall is Davis restructures or is cut in the next day or two 

• Upvote 1

To me trading for Rodgers is like going back to the future. We did that in 2008 with a different Green Bay franchise QB when they grew tired of him. Favre agreed to go to Jets only because Packers refused to trade within their division. And as soon as he could sever ties with Jets he arranged to go to Vikings. Right now Rodgers says he wants to play for Jets but for how long. And that seems to be a sticking point in completing this deal. 

12 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You know what bothers me about this trade?
We all say the GB GM is an idiot for giving Rodgers that contract, but we’re willing to let them have had one last run with him and then take it all off their hands… and pay them draft capital for the privilege of doing so.

And yet the guys in Green Bay are the idiots, right?

take it all off their hands

As for the $$$  the jets will not be taking on all of it.  You know that, don't you?  The way in which the deal is set up, with any restructures, can make a significant difference in the amount that each team has to eat. 

Whatever the final transaction turns out to be, rest assured that the jets are not "taking it all off their hands".  Funny.  And yeah, the guys in Green Bay were indeed worse than idiots for ever giving AR that contract.  They won't get fired over it due to the unique hierarchy there.  Never a furious owner there.  Green Bay life is good.  You can make a catastrophic mistake and not lose your job. The Jets will be happy to eat some of that money to get AR obviously.  But not close to 'all of it'.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You don't understand how it works, do you?  As for the $$$.  The way in which the deal and any restructures is set up can make a significant difference in which team has to eat as much as $20 million+  

Whatever the final transaction turns out to be, rest assured that the jets are not "taking it all off their hands".  Funny.  And yeah, the guys in Green Bay were indeed worse than idiots for ever giving AR that contract.  They won't get fired over it due to the unique hierarchy there.  Never a furious owner there.  Green Bay life is good.  You can make a catastrophinc mistake and not lose your job. And the jets will be happy to eat some of that money to ger AR obviously.  But not all of it.

Bookmarked for a reaction/reply when deal is actually completed.

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Bookmarked for a reaction/reply when deal is actually completed.

you actually think that the Jets take on every dollar of that contract vs the cap?  Hey... it's a big number for the Jets, no doubt, but it was the Packers who created it.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

SI.com is the worst with their paywall.  I use espn.com b/c the espn+ is free with my cable plan.

Anway can someone post this article please?

Aaron Rodgers trade to the Jets will finally get done during the NFL draft - Sports Illustrated

The reason? The Packers have shown a desire to tweak Rodgers’s contract a bit before they trade him and, by rule, if there is an adjustment to the contract, they’d have to wait until a day after that to execute the trade.

That means if Green Bay adjusts the contract itself Friday, they can’t trade him until Saturday. And while they could just have the Jets pick for them Friday, it would limit what they could do from a trade standpoint with that pick, giving the Packers real motivation to move Rodgers before the draft starts. Additionally, I’ve heard Green Bay’s been steadfast about getting a pick in this year’s draft, rather than just 2024 and ’25 picks.

Given all that, I do feel comfortable saying that either the 42nd or 43rd pick will be part of the trade (which selection is another thing the Jets and Packers have haggled over), with, as we’ve said for a couple of weeks, what the 2024 pick looks like being what needs to be worked out in the coming days.

One idea was to make it a first-rounder conditional on the Jets’ making a certain stage of the playoffs (it’d be a second-rounder otherwise). Another was to have it be a hard first-rounder in 2024, with a second-rounder coming back to Jets in ’25 if Rodgers plays only a year. Also, at one point, a few weeks ago, the Packers sent the Jets a handful of acceptable trades. And GMs Joe Douglas and Brian Gutekunst have worked through some creative solutions, with everyone knowing how close the sides are to consummating a deal.

While we’re here, the Jets have stayed in contact with agent David Dunn—they still have permission to talk with him, though not Rodgers—so I don’t see any scenario where the contract is a hangup for either the quarterback or his new team.

In the end, and I’ve said this for a few weeks, I know a lot of this deal is going to come down to getting sign-off from a couple of key people—Jets owner Woody Johnson and Packers president Mark Murphy—who felt like they got worked a little by Brett Favre in the last blockbuster quarterback trade between these two teams 15 years ago.

But one more time: There’s too much on the line for everyone here for this not to happen. So midweek, I think we have a deal. If not, sooner.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

SI.com is the worst with their paywall.  I use espn.com b/c the espn+ is free with my cable plan.

Anway can someone post this article please?

Aaron Rodgers trade to the Jets will finally get done during the NFL draft - Sports Illustrated

Why the Aaron Rodgers Trade to the Jets Will Finally Get Done This Week

ALBERT BREER

It’s NFL draft week, and you know where the Takeaways are starting … let’s go!

I think the Aaron Rodgers deal will get done, probably Thursday. As we’ve said before, this thing has been too close to being done, and there’s too much on the line for everyone involved, for it not to happen. And while there is breathing room to take the negotiation all the way into Friday night, my guess is Rodgers will be a Jet before then.

The reason? The Packers have shown a desire to tweak Rodgers’s contract a bit before they trade him and, by rule, if there is an adjustment to the contract, they’d have to wait until a day after that to execute the trade.

That means if Green Bay adjusts the contract itself Friday, they can’t trade him until Saturday. And while they could just have the Jets pick for them Friday, it would limit what they could do from a trade standpoint with that pick, giving the Packers real motivation to move Rodgers before the draft starts. Additionally, I’ve heard Green Bay’s been steadfast about getting a pick in this year’s draft, rather than just 2024 and ’25 picks.

Given all that, I do feel comfortable saying that either the 42nd or 43rd pick will be part of the trade (which selection is another thing the Jets and Packers have haggled over), with, as we’ve said for a couple of weeks, what the 2024 pick looks like being what needs to be worked out in the coming days.

One idea was to make it a first-rounder conditional on the Jets’ making a certain stage of the playoffs (it’d be a second-rounder otherwise). Another was to have it be a hard first-rounder in 2024, with a second-rounder coming back to Jets in ’25 if Rodgers plays only a year. Also, at one point, a few weeks ago, the Packers sent the Jets a handful of acceptable trades. And GMs Joe Douglas and Brian Gutekunst have worked through some creative solutions, with everyone knowing how close the sides are to consummating a deal.

While we’re here, the Jets have stayed in contact with agent David Dunn—they still have permission to talk with him, though not Rodgers—so I don’t see any scenario where the contract is a hangup for either the quarterback or his new team.

In the end, and I’ve said this for a few weeks, I know a lot of this deal is going to come down to getting sign-off from a couple of key people—Jets owner Woody Johnson and Packers president Mark Murphy—who felt like they got worked a little by Brett Favre in the last blockbuster quarterback trade between these two teams 15 years ago.

But one more time: There’s too much on the line for everyone here for this not to happen. So midweek, I think we have a deal. If not, sooner.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

That contract rule almost certainly means that the trade won’t be done Friday. Has to be Thursday or earlier 

Ya I didn’t know any of this. I just figured we could trade for him and restructure him after the draft. Interesting that no one in the media has brought this up.

Good find