Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

24 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Elite? I didn’t see that last year. 

Run stopper.  Jetsxfactor.com had a good article after the season that had him close to the 90th percentile among Edge in run stopping   % / win rate.  

He was slightly below average on pass rushing win rate and about average on true pass sets where he can pin his ears back.

His low sack total was also a function of few opportunities on third down.  If Lawson gets cut, then this should go way up with him and Huff as the main guys on the Edge.  One will need to flip from the left to right side.

In any event, the guy has a lot of potential to be a complete edge.  We traded to move up for him last year, why would we get rid of him after 1 year?

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Run stopper.  Jetsxfactor.com had a good article after the season that had him close to the 90th percentile among Edge in run stopping   % / win rate.  

He was slightly below average on pass rushing win rate and about average on true pass sets where he can pin his ears back.

His low sack total was also a function of few opportunities on third down.  If Lawson gets cut, then this should go way up with him and Huff as the main guys on the Edge.  One will need to flip from the left to right side.

In any event, the guy has a lot of potential to be a complete edge.  We traded to move up for him last year, why would we get rid of him after 1 year?

Agreed, and I hope you are right. I like him in combination with Huff. And Clemons is stout, as well. Ultimately, I trust JD to make the decision on JJ's future.

2 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Then…why would they do it?  As a favor to A Rodgers?

while taking Bakhtiari will only save the Pack $5 million (if that’s the case, IDK), the NYJ would be taking on MYCH more than that In cap cost in addition to Rodgers. 

in the NFL, cap money and draft picks are equivalent in some manner…not exclusive. 

Rodgers wants him protecting his blind side.

From jetsxfactor.com

In the run game, Johnson was an NFL-ready difference-maker who already looked like one of the better players in the league at his position. Johnson recorded a run-stop rate of 9.8% that led all rookie edge rushers and was eighth-best out of 129 qualified edge rushers (95th percentile). He was extremely adept at shedding blocks and tracking down the ball carrier for big stops.

Johnson’s rate statistics as a pass rusher are not as unsightly, although they are still middling. His pressure rate of 9.3% ranked at the 42nd percentile among 125 qualified edge rushers. Fortunately, he ranks much better if you only look at true pass sets, placing at the 55th percentile with a 14.0% pressure rate in TPS situations. His overall pass rush win rate of 13.8% ranked at the 58th percentile.

• Upvote 3

As core foundational pieces, the following should be untouchable in a trade for Rodgers, including Bakhtiari.

Offense:  AVT, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall

Defense:  Quinnen, Sauce, DJ, JJ, Huff

I’d probably add a couple other players.

Now Becton .. I can see as potential trade bait because of inconsistent motivation & weight 

21 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

For a millisecond I felt bad for Zack and then I reminded myself that Zack must have been the worst teammate ever and the biggest douche nozzle for Sauce (and others) to blatantly disrespect him like this. I really don't see how Zack can be on the team in any capacity next season.

I'm starting to agree with you.  As much as I want Wilson to figure things out sitting behind Rodgers and ultimately be successful for us, these are the young stars of the team doing this.  They'll likely get some counsel from the older vets to be smarter.  But they are the up and coming leaders of the team, and it does give a pretty good idea of how Zach's teammates feel about him.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm starting to agree with you.  As much as I want Wilson to figure things out sitting behind Rodgers and ultimately be successful for us, these are the young stars of the team doing this.  They'll likely get some counsel from the older vets to be smarter.  But they are the up and coming leaders of the team, and it does give a pretty good idea of how Zach's teammates feel about him.  

On the flip side, I really love that they all hang out together, in March no less. 

• Upvote 4

Sending anything for Rodgers is a horrible move. Woody will force it, it'll be an absolute disaster, JD will get the blame and in 2 years we'll be right back to post Mac level of rebuild status except we'll have no premium draft picks and the next GM will be selling off Breece and Sauce because we'll be blowing up the roster again and need draft picks. 

The amount of time we spent enjoying watching Seattle set themselves back years because of the horrible trade for Jamal... We'll be f*cked like the Bronco's after this trade. 

The Greenbay front office is going to be laughing their assess off and popping champagne while they submit that trade paperwork, thanking the football Gods that a Jets exist - A franchise stupid enough to give them premium assets to rid them of an albatross contract for a declining, head case QB who's wanted to  retire for 3 seasons. 

Yeah, this is going to go fantastically. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 4

Sending anything for Rodgers is a horrible move. Woody will force it, it'll be an absolute disaster, JD will get the blame and in 2 years we'll be right back to post Mac level of rebuild status except we'll have no premium draft picks and the next GM will be selling off Breece and Sauce because we'll be blowing up the roster again and need draft picks. 
The amount of time we spent enjoying watching Seattle set themselves back years because of the horrible trade for Jamal... We'll be f*cked like the Bronco's after this trade. 
The Greenbay front office is going to be laughing their assess off and popping champagne while they submit that trade paperwork, thanking the football Gods that a Jets exist - A franchise stupid enough to give them premium assets to rid them of an albatross contract for a declining, head case QB who's wanted to  retire for 3 seasons. 
Let's see what the deal is

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Hex said:

Yea but in this case GB has all of the leverage. They can ask for as much as they want and say "Well it's either this price or Jimmy G for you". Probably one of the reasons why it's not happened yet, as the Packers are asking for more than the Jets are willing to pay, but NY doesn't exactly have another option.

I 100% disagree. The Jets have HUGE amounts of leverage.  GB does not want Rodgers. Rodgers costs a LOT of money.

Say the Jets withdraw themselves from consideration. What then becomes GBs options. Well if it is true that the Jets are the only trade partner, then GB's options become cut or firesale. If Rodgers retires, they get squat and the cap hit. If he comes back, Jordan Love's window closes. The Jets should literally offer a 4th next year and not budge. If GB thinks that Rodgers is the Jets only option then bring in a Minshew or Winston and wait it out. Eventually GB WILL cave assuming Rodgers wants to play. The Jets have gigantic leverage in this situation. GB has almost none.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

It will be a home run or a strikeout. You have explained the strikeout scenario. 

I definitely get your concerns, but there is another side of the coin. I think we'll know very early on which side of the coin we are getting. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

You are right but not many including our own trust fund owner will see it that way. I think it is a desperate, silly move. And don't give me the no other options BS. We are still building a core.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

michael-scott-the-office.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I 100% disagree. The Jets have HUGE amounts of leverage.  GB does not want Rodgers. Rodgers costs a LOT of money.

Say the Jets withdraw themselves from consideration. What then becomes GBs options. Well if it is true that the Jets are the only trade partner, then GB's options become cut or firesale. If Rodgers retires, they get squat and the cap hit. If he comes back, Jordan Love's window closes. The Jets should literally offer a 4th next year and not budge. If GB thinks that Rodgers is the Jets only option then bring in a Minshew or Winston and wait it out. Eventually GB WILL cave assuming Rodgers wants to play. The Jets have gigantic leverage in this situation. GB has almost none.

You make good points. I feel like cap space isn't going to be a big point of issue for the rebuilding Green Bay, but draft picks are a good point. At this point it feels more like an Aaron Rodgers decision to me I guess.

44 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

The difference is this, the Jets aren't giving up a 1st round pick. They take a cap hit if this doesn't work out. But Rodgers played lights out 2 of the last 3 years. Then they made him teach guys how to catch the first ten weeks last year.

The Jets still have Zach. Can bring back White. Can draft another QB.

But if you have a shot to win, you take that shot.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Yea but in this case GB has all of the leverage. They can ask for as much as they want and say "Well it's either this price or Jimmy G for you". Probably one of the reasons why it's not happened yet, as the Packers are asking for more than the Jets are willing to pay, but NY doesn't exactly have another option.

If they do they are salary cap hell with a QB they no longer want......

JD needs to win this game of chicken

I am Ok with another serviceable QB..even ok with Mike White

6 minutes ago, sciond said:

If they do they are salary cap hell with a QB they no longer want......

JD needs to win this game of chicken

I am Ok with another serviceable QB..even ok with Mike White

You think Green Bay gives a crap about the salary cap? They're going into a rebuild. Their best player is probably Jaire Alexander and then Aaron Jones and that's essentially it. They aren't going to care about the cap. Draft picks is what's holding them up