Jets Negotiating With Lazard [Signed 4 years $44M]

SR24

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

screech!  "How is Aaron Rodgers supposed to be mvp Aaron Rodgers with the lousy wrs he had last year!!!!"

screech! " I am fine with Aaron Rodgers getting all of his wr's from last year if it makes him happy!"

Yes.  Lazard is at most comp replacement for Davis, not necessarily an upgrade.  And to even think of replacing Moore with Cobb is just criminal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

One could make the argument they're about equal but his chemistry with Rodgers and ability to be productive in the redzone make him better than Davis.  Especially for a team that struggled mightily in that area last year. 

I agree that Moore should be a starter for this team, however i believe he is going to be traded either in the Rodgers deal, or later on to recoup draft capital.  

100%, good point 

Re Moore: wasn't the biggest fan during the draft as you know lol, but i've come to appreciate what he can do. We better not be shedding him for Cobb. That's trash. either him or mims gets a redo in this new offense.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

why do we want Cobb again?  Keep Moore. Forget Cobb unless it's part of sucking Aaron's shlong results. 

I don't love the idea of any 32 year old WR.  but Rodgers knows him, knows the way he plays, likes playing with him.

I was a Carr guy - but Rodgers is our QB now, so I'm jumping in with both feet.  

Let's go to war with the guys Rodgers wants.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

why do we want Cobb again?  Keep Moore. Forget Cobb unless it's part of sucking Aaron's shlong results. 

Cobb is washed and at the end of his career signing him won't mean he replaces anyone or will cost much....he will be WR 5 or 6....I would say he's a Berrios downgrade if they cost the same money.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yes.  Lazard is at most comp replacement for Davis, not necessarily an upgrade.  And to even think of replacing Moore with Cobb is just criminal.

If Davis could actually stay healthy it's a massive downgrade.  

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

100%, good point 

Also not to be overlooked:

This is a very young WR core.  Mims, Moore, and Wilson are all under their rookie deals and while they have varrying degrees of developmental progress (Wilson obviously high end ceiling, Moore believed to also have a high end ceiling but hampered by Lafleurs dog house, Mims same as moore to some degree but a lower ceiling) they can all stand some veteran guidance.  While Lazard isnt a grizzled vet (5 years in the league), he does have extensive experience with Rodgers and in this offense.  The ability to help these young guys acclimate to the scheme and to what Rodgers wants is something we have not had on offense the last few years. 

Same is true with adding Cobb but to a greater extent with his service time and time with Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cobb is 32 and tiny - I hope he comes cheap if they're bringing him in.

Lazard is still 27 and 6'5" - smart move.

I'd hate to lose Moore. Hope he sticks.

I prefer Davis to Lazard in a vacuum but with AR definitely prefer Lazard.

Cobb would be great as a #4 or 5.  

Both guys would help GW and others to understand how things should be done.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Why wouldn't you want your QB to have players around him that he works well with?  This seems like something that should be done more often.

Trusting an all-time great to make these types of decisions is quite reasonable.  In fact it would be unreasonable not to.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

getting Rodgers his guys is the absolute right way to go.

Moreover, if you're going to tell me Joe Douglas knows more about WR's than Aaron Rodgers, at this point in his career, I'll tell you you're probably mistaken.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cobb is 32 and tiny - I hope he comes cheap if they're bringing him in.

7B1718E4-7312-4488-BD24-4C2D665DFEE8.jpeg.7646df638d854eaf27c2beeaead273f7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pac said:

A little melodramatic, no?   Replacing an oft injured underperforming WR with a solid if not spectacular vet familiar with the offense is hardly letting Rodgers commandeer the front office.  

We were definitely going to pursue Randall Cobb no matter who our QB was

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Both guys would help GW and others to understand how things should be done.

This can't be understated.

From what I understand Rodgers likes things a certain way.  Having vets that have played with him can go a long way to helping out the young guys.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Also not to be overlooked:

This is a very young WR core.  Mims, Moore, and Wilson are all under their rookie deals and while they have varrying degrees of developmental progress (Wilson obviously high end ceiling, Moore believed to also have a high end ceiling but hampered by Lafleurs dog house, Mims same as moore to some degree but a lower ceiling) they can all stand some veteran guidance.  While Lazard isnt a grizzled vet (5 years in the league), he does have extensive experience with Rodgers and in this offense.  The ability to help these young guys acclimate to the scheme and to what Rodgers wants is something we have not had on offense the last few years. 

Same is true with adding Cobb but to a greater extent with his service time and time with Rodgers. 

yea i tacked on a late edit to my reply that included thoughts on Moore if you missed, just scroll up. 

My only concern with Lazard was $$, this is only real shot at decent contract he's likely to get in the NFL, so his agent will looking to maximize that opportunity. I don't love (at all) the notion of swapping Moore/Davis/Mims for some Lazard/Cobb/Vet combo... One signature vet, plus Wilson, Moore/Mims would have been fine. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't love the idea of any 32 year old WR.  but Rodgers knows him, knows the way he plays, likes playing with him.

Were signing Rodgers to win a SB not die in the second round of the playoffs.  

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We were definitely going to pursue Randall Cobb no matter who our QB was

Already said that replacing Moore with Cobb would be a mistake but one that pretty much everyone on here would make to get Aaron frigging Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

No doubt. We should give Cobb a five year deal just to be safe

Your anti-aaron agenda is disgraceful. 

Keep in mind you are aligning with stalwarts like Bitonti and Joe Namath. 

Tread carefully. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I prefer Davis to Lazard in a vacuum but with AR definitely prefer Lazard.

In a broken vacuum maybe.  Davis is a bum, and a bum made of glass to boot.  His 30 catches a year are replaceable by literally ANY wr if they stay healthy.

• Upvote 2

In all of this, I just hope the jets will still be acting as a team and not a circus.  You CAN NOT buy a championship or "dream team" in football.  it is the ultimate team sport.  

It is exciting to have Rodgers and a few of the guys he may bring in, but there better be a coach on the job.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Wilson is going to go for 1500 yards and 16 TD’s this year and you bitches are crying about Randall Cobb potentially being brought in as the #4 wideout?

If Rodgers wants him, go get him.

He’s still perfectly functional in a limited role. Yeah, he doesn’t offer any longterm upside, but we’re pushing all of our chips to the center of the table over the next year or two anyway.

This!! Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's possible SB or a beautiful disaster.  After a decade of boring filth I'm so ready for either. 

I actually think the likeliest outcome is a limpdick 9-8 finish that leaves all you simps comparing him to Tyrion Lannister and lauding him for showing up the lamestream media furrowing your brows in a vain attempt to understand the situation

• Haha 1

Granted the Jets have been in QB "purgatory" forever, BUT what we're seeing is what
happens when a Hall Of Fame QB goes to another team.  He wants his "guys" so that
the offensive learning process can be sped up.  To me the only WR that is safe is
Garrett Wilson, anyone else could be gone and Moore did himself no favor with his
tantrum last year

21 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

My only concern with multiple GB formers is that the comfort level leads to underutilization of Wilson.

I think GW will be just fine. He's a budding star #1 WR. Moore is the one that should be worried. And after his me 1st attitude last year and antics. FO is likely open to the idea of moving him. Lazard deserves targets for what he does. 

2 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

This!! Why is this so hard for people to grasp?

Because many Jets fans suffer from PTSD sustained from the last dozen years of bad player personnel decisions, crappy GM's, terrible HC's, a buffoon owner, and general bad luck following this team around like a black cloud.

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Lets hope all of Rodgers guys can pass a prostrate exam.  

Every time I watch Lazard he makes plays and seems to have real chemistry with Rodgers. Even though I like Corey Davis I can understand this move. Theilen would also make sense to me. He did a good job in a complimentary role in Minnesota. Might be a new lease on life for Mims too.