Lamar Jackson Requests Trade

Maxman

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

213, 318, 218, 144, 174, 210, 120, 238, 133, 209, 254

Mahomes hardly had a murders row of WRs, Rodgers had two rookies.

Deshaun watson worst full passing year for houston was like 700 yards more than lamars best year.

Lamar is a rare talent and would make a lot of teams better, the whole issue is his play style vs injuries vs contract.

To be 'Lamar' he has to run like lamar, once he starts protecting himself or having a team protect him imo he becomes a middle of the road Qb in this league and this not worth the massive contract.

Yeah, I just don’t think yardage totals tell the story there. Lamar has always been good-to-great in passer rating, in PFF’s passing metrics, and even his Next Gen passing stuff shows a good-to-great passer. The Ravens historically average 27.4 ppg when he plays, so it’s not like they’re not productive despite any perceived failing of his arm. I also dislike the argument that he’s injury prone, because every QB is injury prone, and he’s 26.

That said, he wants way too much money guaranteed before showing that he could play in an offense that’s more reliant on his passing, which is where the rubber will meet the road. I’m glad I’m not a team that will have to take a chance on him. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I just don’t think yardage totals tell the story there. Lamar has always been good-to-great in passer rating, in PFF’s passing metrics, and even his Next Gen passing stuff shows a good-to-great passer. The Ravens historically average 27.4 ppg when he plays, so it’s not like they’re not productive despite any perceived failing of his arm. I also dislike the argument that he’s injury prone, because every QB is injury prone, and he’s 26.

That said, he wants way too much money guaranteed before showing that he could play in an offense that’s more reliant on his passing, which is where the rubber will meet the road. I’m glad I’m not a team that will have to take a chance on him. 

Total passing yards by itself is a meaningless stat, IIMO, because it depends entirely on how often you throw the ball. Yards per attempt is a better stat. Lamar averages 7.6 yards per attempt for his career, which is good. In his MVP year, he averaged 8.9 yards per attempt, which is outstanding.  

I think the biggest issue with Lamar is that his numbers have steadily declined since his MVP year (2019), and given his style of play, people are understandably concerned that he was unable to finish the past two seasons with his team in a playoff race in both years. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Total passing yards by itself is a meaningless stat, IIMO, because it depends entirely on how often you throw the ball. Yards per attempt is a better stat. Lamar averages 7.6 yards per attempt for his career, which is good. In his MVP year, he averaged 8.9 yards per attempt, which is outstanding.  

16 hours ago, JiF said:

This popped on my youtube feed, I never listen to these dweeby talking heads but this, is spot on:

I listened.

I feel like they did a disservice, though, by not talking about the rumored nature of his contract demands.

It seems, from a casual observer, that the behavior of the Baltimore organization (and the rest of the league) points to Lamar wanting that rumored fully guaranteed deal.

That's the only thing that really makes sense to me? If he just wanted to be paid well, like say something akin to the Kyler deal, then I'd assume he'd already be signed by Baltimore or other teams would be lining up to do it (even with the draft pick compensation). 

I'm speculating, but it looks like he's holding out for that fully guaranteed deal and the league is colluding by collectively saying "no". 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:08 AM, Larz said:

He’s been telling the packers for a month #13 is off the table and he wants Rodgers to restructure or the packers to pay part of his salary (presumably) If he makes an offer for lamar including 2 1’S and a massive contract that’s the definition of bad faith. 

That’s ridiculous.

Since when does simply meeting with someone mean you have to offer them anything?

Inviting Lamar Jackson to visit 1JD costs them nothing and locks them into absolutely nothing.

The goal is to put pressure on the Packers and at least let them think you are willing to walk away.

NFL analysts for the past billion years:  "Availability is the best ability"

NFL analysts discussing Lamar today: "Who gives a damn about injuries? This is football.  Guys get hurt"

NFL players for the past billion years: "Stop pocket watching.  It's not your money"

NFL players discussing Lamar today: "Stop asking questions and pay that man a billion dollars a year, you greedy bastards"

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think the biggest issue with Lamar is that his numbers have steadily declined since his MVP year (2019), and given his style of play, people are understandably concerned that he was unable to finish the past two seasons with his team in a playoff race in both years. 

Fun fact about Lamar Jackson and his passing ability: going into the season for QB's who have attempted 1,000 career passes, Lamar held the highest passing TD % in the Super Bowl era, only to be surpassed this season by the GOAT, Patrick Mahomes (who for most his career had a HOF WR and HOF TE and Andy Reid where as Jackson has utter dog sh*t) but these jakamo's are worried about passing yards, as if it doesnt count when he picks up yards w/ his legs, as if they're not running teams down at the end of games they're winning because of Lamar, as if his legs doesnt propose even more of challenge to defend (we love Josh Allen for it, Mahomes literally won playoff games and  SB w/ his legs, Hurts is the next big thing because hey duel threat!), hence his record and their scoring average w/ him and especially obvious, w/out him.

The declining stuff is also stupid, no offense.  Lamar was balling out this season and showing no "decline".  Team was 1st place in the AFC, he was firmly in the MVP convo.   He had a ridiculous year that is hard to repeat, it happens.  Brady never repeated 07.  Mahomes threw for 50 TD"s and 5k, 4 years ago, hasnt done it since.  Justin Herbert threw for 5k and 38 2 years ago, 4k and 25 this year, declining?  lol  Of course not. Careers are up and down statistically, for many factors, but to pretend a former MVP, 26 year old, 1% type athlete is on the decline, is asinine. 

7 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I listened.

I feel like they did a disservice, though, by not talking about the rumored nature of his contract demands.

It seems, from a casual observer, that the behavior of the Baltimore organization (and the rest of the league) points to Lamar wanting that rumored fully guaranteed deal.

That's the only thing that really makes sense to me? If he just wanted to be paid well, like say something akin to the Kyler deal, then I'd assume he'd already be signed by Baltimore or other teams would be lining up to do it (even with the draft pick compensation). 

I'm speculating, but it looks like he's holding out for that fully guaranteed deal and the league is colluding by collectively saying "no". 

I think Lamar has made mistakes playing his own agent and I think that's factoring into the league punishing him for Cleveland giving Watson that contract.  For example; the sh*tty Commanders who are desperate for someone like Lamar to save their franchise, are currently "good w/ Jacoby Brissett and Sam Howell" and not even willing to reach out and talk to him?  gtfo.  lmfao.  It's quite clear what's going on here.  The league is taking a collective stand and unfortunately for Lamar, I think this has a lot to do w/ timing just because he was the next superstar up, after the Browns set the league into a tizzy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

Beyond sick of Lamar’s bullsh*t. He made the awful decision to not hire an agent. He’s turned down massive money because of an outlier contract. Now with the illiterate whining on social media. Goodbye. 

I'm sure he makes your days miserable when you choose to tune in for Lamar news.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

That’s ridiculous.

Since when does simply meeting with someone mean you have to offer them anything?

Inviting Lamar Jackson to visit 1JD costs them nothing and locks them into absolutely nothing.

The goal is to put pressure on the Packers and at least let them think you are willing to walk away.

Exactly, nobody is even willing to talk to him?  Really?  Okay...

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fun fact about Lamar Jackson and his passing ability: going into the season for QB's who have attempted 1,000 career passes, Lamar held the highest passing TD % in the Super Bowl era, only to be surpassed this season by the GOAT, Patrick Mahomes (who for most his career had a HOF WR and HOF TE and Andy Reid where as Jackson has utter dog sh*t) but these jakamo's are worried about passing yards, as if it doesnt count when he picks up yards w/ his legs, as if they're not running teams down at the end of games they're winning because of Lamar, as if his legs doesnt propose even more of challenge to defend (we love Josh Allen for it, Mahomes literally won playoff games and  SB w/ his legs, Hurts is the next big thing because hey duel threat!), hence his record and their scoring average w/ him and especially obvious, w/out him.

The declining stuff is also stupid, no offense.  Lamar was balling out this season and showing no "decline".  Team was 1st place in the AFC, he was firmly in the MVP convo.   He had a ridiculous year that is hard to repeat, it happens.  Brady never repeated 07.  Mahomes threw for 50 TD"s and 5k, 4 years ago, hasnt done it since.  Justin Herbert threw for 5k and 38 2 years ago, 4k and 25 this year, declining?  lol  Of course not. Careers are up and down statistically, for many factors, but to pretend a former MVP, 26 year old, 1% type athlete is on the decline, is asinine. 

Listen, I walk a fine line, because I do think Lamar is a terrific player. 

But he’s asking for the moon coming off back to back injuries - you get the record breaking contract after the MVP year, not after missing the last month plus of a playoff chase for the second straight year.

And I sort of agree with you about the decline being overblown, but It’s not just the slight decline in numbers, it’s the combination of a decline in numbers and back to back years getting hurt. 

and I can’t reiterate enough how much this guy needs an agent back-channeling on his behalf.  “Penny wise pound foolish”

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

NFL analysts for the past billion years:  "Availability is the best ability"

NFL analysts discussing Lamar today: "Who gives a damn about injuries? This is football.  Guys get hurt"

NFL players for the past billion years: "Stop pocket watching.  It's not your money"

NFL players discussing Lamar today: "Stop asking questions and pay that man a billion dollars a year, you greedy bastards"

Inquiring Minds: Why does a 26 year old former MVP not even get an invite to an interview to just sit down and talk by any club?

That’s ridiculous.

So hearing JD saying your idea is disingenuous and negotiating in bad faith, you’re still adamant in pushing the narrative. Interesting, carryon.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Listen, I walk a fine line, because I do think Lamar is a terrific player. 

But he’s asking for the moon coming off back to back injuries - you get the record breaking contract after the MVP year, not after missing the last month plus of a playoff chase for the second straight year.

And I sort of agree with you about the decline being overblown, but It’s not just the slight decline in numbers, it’s the combination of a decline in numbers and back to back years getting hurt. 

and I can’t reiterate enough how much this guy needs an agent back-channeling on his behalf.  “Penny wise pound foolish”

I've said repeatedly, the only knock that truly holds any weight is the injury stuff but that's the sport.  Kyler Murray didnt have an injury concerns, signs a big contract and blows his knee out.  I'd argue Burrow recklessness isnt going to help someone long term who's already blown a knee out and had offseason surgeries in back to back years.   Watson blew a knee out.  Brady blew a knee out.  Manning had to have his neck severed back to his spine, came back had the best year of his career.  Drew Brees, bunch of injures over the years.  Jimmy G gets injured for the year, every year.  It's Football, players get injured w/ or w/out a "history".  IMO the risk, is well worth the reward. 

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

For example; the sh*tty Commanders who are desperate for someone like Lamar to save their franchise, are currently "good w/ Jacoby Brissett and Sam Howell" and not even willing to reach out and talk to him?  gtfo.  lmfao.  It's quite clear what's going on here.  The league is taking a collective stand….

No one in the endgame of selling their NFL franchise is going to sign a five year, $250M, player costing two #1 draft picks right before they execute the sale.

Dan Snyder hates many of his fellow owners. If they asked him to collude, he’d be the first to narc them out for it. The guy literally has his GC following Jim Irsay and taping him, lol.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, oatmeal said:

At some point one of these generations(or maybe sooner) will finally realize that they play in the most dangerous and profitable league in American sports. 

Then the owners will have no choice at that point and this is not a matter of will it happen but more like when it will happen 

Everyone says how dangerous the NFL is but I don't think people realize just how dangerous:

Average age of US male at death = 75

Average age of a NFL player at death = 55

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No one in the endgame of selling their NFL franchise is going to sign a five year, $250M, player costing two #1 draft picks right before they execute the sale.

Dan Snyder hates many of his fellow owners. If they asked him to collude, he’d be the first to narc them out for it.

Speculation.  Nobody has even reached out to him to discuss what he'd take.  I mean, wtf?  Not even a conversation?  okay

19 hours ago, batman10023 said:

the players should get rid of the rule that requires the money to be put in escrow.

they should also do a better job of taking a bigger piece of the pie.

The issue is the NFLPA, they can't afford to actually lock out because of how short careers are. The owners have the players by the balls compared to every other sports league.

• Upvote 1

That’s ridiculous.

Reality check time: The Jets are in bed with Aaron Rodgers. You know, the celebrity athlete with a giant ego (par for the course) who is notorious for taking every slight (real or perceived) personally and holding serious grudges. They have likely been kissing his ass since the season ended to get him interested in coming here. Now that they are on the verge of landing him, they aren’t going to start flirting with Lamar Jackson.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Speculation.  

:rolleyes:

The team selling and Dan Snyder being Dan Snyder isn't speculation JiF.

The problem JiF is you've boxed yourself into a corner.  You're so all-in on Lamar, so over-the-top about him, that you're to the point of rejecting reality over it rather than face that not everyone shares your excessive view on him.  I mean ffs, you don't even accept that he's a risky player, and you've made arguments that he's the best passer in the NFL behind only Mahomes, maybe, lol.  

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm sure he makes your days miserable when you choose to tune in for Lamar news.

We’re coming up on two years (more?) of Lamar’s woe is me, I’m so underappreciated and underpaid saga. Grow up and hire an agent like a normal athlete. 

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Inquiring Minds: Why does a 26 year old former MVP not even get an invite to an interview to just sit down and talk by any club?

Asked and answered.  Repeatedly.

You just don't like the answers, and continue to think only illegal collusion could possibly account for it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You just don't like the answers, and continue to think only illegal collusion could possibly account for it.

Not to my satisfaction. So there. Live with it. There is a chance that both of us could be wrong simultaneously. But you don't seem to consider that option.

Have you ever seen a car that you know that you can't afford by reputation? And just stopped in to the dealer to take a look and see the sticker? To see what the detail is and the options? It costs nothing to kick the tires.

Hard flung revelation here, but billionaire owners have been caught colluding many times. 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Asking price, injuries, and the league doesn’t think he’s as good as he and the media thinks.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

He is 100% right.

Just look at the Stephen Strasburg contract the Nats thought was a good idea.

Guy coming off an amazing World Series MVP showing, only ~31 years old, had averaged almost 28 starts over the previous 8 seasons (including the WS year of 2019, one of his best years as a pro).

Was resigned to a fully guaranteed 7 year / $245,000,000 million deal.  The foundation upon which the post-WS Nats pitching staff would be built.  A key (along with Soto) to continued competitive seasons.

He got hurt.  He's pitched a total of 31 and 1/3 innings for the Nats in the three full seasons since, continues to be hurt after several surgeries, and very likely will never pitch another meaningful inning for the Nats (or anyone else) ever again at this point.

That's 245 million for 31 and bit innings, or $7.8 million per inning pitched.  Without him, and with his cost on the books, the Nats melted down, crippled financially, and lost Soto (and anyone else worth trading) and now languish in perennial last place, a problem likely that won't be solved till Stras is off the books.

If you want to know why guaranteed contracts are really, really dumb for ANY sport, much less a violent, brutal, hard-contact sport like NFL Football, just think about Stephen Strasburg.  Great for the player, horrible and massively risky for the team and fans.

/EndBitterNatsFanRant.....

Wait, so you're a Jets AND Nats fan? That's like being an Incel on a nude beach in Ibiza. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

no you should jsut pay big bucks to a player even if they are hurt cant play or otherwise are not going ot contribute.

That's the reason Lamar wouldn't get a fully guaranteed deal. Herbert, Burrow, and Hurts are coming for contracts and I'm curious to see what people will say if they don't get the Watson deal.

I think this is more about the owners hating the Watson deal than it is about Lamar specifically.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not to my satisfaction. So there. Live with it. There is a chance that both of us could be wrong simultaneously. But you don't seem to consider that option.

Have you ever seen a car that you know that you can't afford by reputation? And just stopped in to the dealer to take a look and see the sticker? To see what the detail is and the options? It costs nothing to kick the tires.

Hard flung revelation here, but billionaire owners have been caught colluding many times. 

Call it collusion, it's easily explainable right now as a bad business move. I'm fascinated to see what happens with Herbert, Burrow and Hurts

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've said repeatedly, the only knock that truly holds any weight is the injury stuff but that's the sport.  Kyler Murray didnt have an injury concerns, signs a big contract and blows his knee out.  I'd argue Burrow recklessness isnt going to help someone long term who's already blown a knee out and had offseason surgeries in back to back years.   Watson blew a knee out.  Brady blew a knee out.  Manning had to have his neck severed back to his spine, came back had the best year of his career.  Drew Brees, bunch of injures over the years.  Jimmy G gets injured for the year, every year.  It's Football, players get injured w/ or w/out a "history".  IMO the risk, is well worth the reward. 

It’s debatable whether the risk is worth it, but Lamar’s perception gets hurt by his play style and the large number of rushing attempts. 

If the Rodgers deal fell through and it didn’t cost two first round picks to get the ball rolling, I’d still be all in on Lamar. 

If Lamar is asking for 5 years fully guaranteed and similar money to the Watson contract, then I can see why nobody wants to even engage in talks.  I wouldn’t go near him anyway, he’s vastly overrated and hardly worth that type of investment.   Add in the fact that there will need to be significant draft compensation, and you have a less than ideal situation.   

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

If Lamar is asking for 5 years fully guaranteed and similar money to the Watson contract, then I can see why nobody wants to even engage in talks.  I wouldn’t go near him anyway, he’s vastly overrated and hardly worth that type of investment.   Add in the fact that there will need to be significant draft compensation, and you have a less than ideal situation.   

The compensation package can be negotiated with the Ravens.