Aaron Rodgers traded to the New York Jets

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

People are acting like Rodgers isn't going to be 40, coming off his worst year as a pro, showing real decline and this is almost certain to be a one year deal.

What did you want the Jets to do at QB? Please enlighten us bc ago I see is you whining

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Psst. What if Rodgers gave the Jets at least a 2 yr commitment when they spoke in Malibu. He does have $40m guaranteed coming his way for ‘24

I like to see rational thought. Much needed around here, he is playing 2 years, no way he walks away from 110 million which is like a 1/3 of his earnings his whole career, does he need the loot absolutely not, but to suit up for 34 games and to get paid , he is doing it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Fair but I kind of equate it to buying a car in the 70’s. I paid 200 for undercoating.

my neighbor got it for free.

he got a better value but I love the car so I am good.

if rodgers is close to being himself, we simply won’t care

Lol.  I don’t lose deals like that.  

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too many Jets fans acting like they have a smaller package. :mrgreen:

Happy day today. This time next year we can hold hands and lament which future 1st round bust the Jets shoulda/woulda taken. 

100% happy we got the trade done. No question. But fact is we overpaid. Say it’s worth it and what not. Not going to agree or disagree. But go look at what it cost for a player like him at that age and tell me it’s not an overlay by a HUGE margin. Especially when you’re the only team in on him.

Happy he’s a Jet. But at that cost us SB or a decent fail

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, I think they saw is pretty clearly last year.

Aaron Rodgers with a broken thumb and throwing to Allen Lazard and a rookie Christian Watson who was invisible for the first half of the season, still managed to throw for 3700 yards, 26 TD’s and 12 INT’s while completing 65% of his passes.

And that’s considered a “falling off” point for him.

For us, it would be the best season a Jets QB has had since Vinny in ‘98, a flash in the pan…25 f*cking years ago.

I’m feeling pretty good today, and so should all Jets fans.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

They got the other guy from GB and Zach. I think we’re done investing in the QB position for this year 

Let’s hope Rodgers stays upright. Teddy B or Minshew (just as an example) would be a lot smarter as a QB2 in a Super Bowl or bust year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

To be fair, you don't get first ballot HOF QB's for a 5th rounder.  

If Rodgers plays 65 percent of the snaps, we should be in the playoffs.  If we are in the playoffs, nobody will care we don't have a first rounder next year.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see JD move down in the draft and try and recoup that pick.  

The Jets got favre for a conditional 4th. First ballot hall of famer 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

It’s a gamble worth taking. When was the last time we were barely competitive? Not sure how long you’ve been a fan but it’s been a long long long time. And I’m sure JD is thinking that #1 they will have to give up will be a late late late #1. 

been a fan longer than most people, over 50 years

I am tired of the SOJ moves i have watched for too long

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

100% happy we got the trade done. No question. But fact is we overpaid. Say it’s worth it and what not. Not going to agree or disagree. But go look at what it cost for a player like him at that age and tell me it’s not an overlay by a HUGE margin. Especially when you’re the only team in on him.

Happy he’s a Jet. But at that cost us SB or a decent fail

Would it be any less of a fail if they didn't make this trade and still didn't win a SB? The Jets already do that every year. 

At least for a couple seasons the Jets will be must see TV instead of must pee TV. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Packers fans and some media think the Packers won the trade based on their belief that Rodgers is one and done. If he commits to a second year with the jets they're going to flip the **** out about it because they should have gotten more. Especially if he reworks his deal to be more team friendly.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No Carr was my first choice and I'd be happier if that had occurred but still not happy until we actual play games and with those games.

How do you feel about the trade compensation?  Jets got him cheap even though the packers had ZERO leverage??

carr was my first choice too, but given the respective timelines, carr wasn't feasible if the jets wanted to pursue rodgers.  they didn't even talk to rodgers until after carr signed.  as carr was released by the raiders, he was free to talk with/sign with another team immediately versus the other FA Qs who had to wait until the start of the league year.  and the jets couldn't speak to rodgers until they got permission from GB.  so carr was effectively not an option if plan A was rodgers. 

i commented earlier on trade compensation.  i thought it was a little more than i expected (the 1st round pick swap, and lower triggers on the 2024 pick, offset in part by the 37 spot upgrade on the 5/6 swap).  but not the end of the world and we still need to see the contract details.

i never said the jets had all the leverage or the packers had none.  that was always a silly game fought by internet warriors who had no idea what was going on behind the scenes (not that i had any idea either).  i just scoffed at the idea that the jets forfeited any leverage by waiting because once carr was out of the question (and again he signed before the jets could even talk to rodgers), there was not real pivot from rodgers to whoever else you could name because the rest are unappealing options (jimmy glass, minshew, bridgewater, tannehill via trade, etc...).  so the passage of time...and more time...and more time...didn't change any so-called leverage.  because there is no good plan B if your goal is to get aaron rodgers.  so hard deadlines are worthless, unless you are prepared to walk and pivot to jimmy g or someone even less desirable.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Would it be any less of a fail if they didn't make this trade and still didn't win a SB? The Jets already do that every year. 

At least for a couple seasons the Jets will be must see TV instead of must pee TV. 

It’s how easy it goes to a 1st next year and no safety net is Rodgers retires where we failed.

No way around that not being a fail. Sorry.

Happy he’s here. We got cleaned value wise though.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s how easy it goes to a 1st next year and no safety net is Rodgers retires where we failed.

No way around that not being a fail. Sorry.

Happy he’s here. We got cleaned value wise though.

So if he commits to a 2nd year  at his opening press conference than what? Does your opinion change?

Remember what John Nash proved...

The best outcome of any deal is where both sides benefit, not where one side wins and one loses...

Green Bay got a nice trade return and can save face with the fans...

The Jets get a super motivated HOF QB 1 year removed from back to back MVP seasons...

Everyone wins...

• Upvote 1

Andrew Brandt murdered the Jets in his podcast today.

Packers extracted:

— 1st round pick swap (3rd round value)

— #42

— ’24 1st rounder 

— 100M off their books

“All for a guy who was never ever going to play another down for them under any circumstances” 

At #13 and #42, the Packers now also get to snipe the Jets in rounds 1 and 2 this year.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Green Bay pretty much got what they wanted.  They wanted the 13th pick and they wanted another guaranteed first which they pretty much got along with a second rounder.  I’m happy Rodgers is here but it certainly wasn’t cheap and if it doesn’t end with us getting at least to the AFC title game it’s gonna sting 

this is misleading.

GB wanted the 13th pick without giving back the 15th pick.

not exactly what happened

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

48 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets were never drafting a tackle in the 1st rd. The Packers do not have the same draft needs as the Jets whatsoever so 42 it 43 doesn't matter. The Packers wanted to get ahead of the Patriots bc they both need WRs.

4D chess by JD, allowing the packers to steal a WR from the pats ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

That being said, this is a pretty bad trade if Aaron only plays one year, and the Jets don’t get a Super Bowl out of it.  The conditions should have been performance based, or award based (i.e. MVP).  Douglas, essentially, threw away next years 1st round pick, with a large amount of leverage in his favor, because of…reasons?  I don’t know.

This was my concern all along, as you and I discussed last month:

On 3/13/2023 at 9:29 PM, dbatesman said:

I guess. I’m not sure how we get ahold of a QB next year when the consensus worst-case scenario is that we’ll be picking like 28th, but I guess we cross that bridge when we come to it.

It actually ended up being worse than I feared!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Andrew Brandt murdered the Jets in his podcast today.

Packers extracted:

— 1st round pick swap (3rd round value)

— #42

— ’24 1st rounder 

— 100M off their books

“All for a guy who was never ever going to play down for them under any circumstances” 

Do you know how the business of sports entertainment works? 

• Haha 1

A few read between the line observations ..

1. Love that Rodgers is coming with a chip on his shoulder.  Hopefully it’s a spicy dorito or funion

2. Can’t wait to read the (restructured) contract for hints on 1 or 2 year expected term … the Jets likely know more about his intentions than we do ;)

3. My sense by looking at the move from #13 to #15 is the Jets are targeting an OT … and have strong indications that GB and the Pats (#14) are looking elsewhere

I’d have to think the Packers & Pats are looking at WRs .. maybe the Jets see better value in round 2

4. Or .. could the Jets be targeting a surprise position?  TE, DT, EDGE .. trade down 

5. Given #3/4 above, the move from 6th round to 5th round could be a net gain

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Let’s hope Rodgers stays upright. Teddy B or Minshew (just as an example) would be a lot smarter as a QB2 in a Super Bowl or bust year.

Draft Broderick Jones or D. Wright rd 1

Draft top center Rd 2.

Draft top wr rd 3 like Tyler Scott or Tank Dell 

That should assuming everyone is healthy get the jets to the AFC championship at the very least.