Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

50 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Why do the Jets need him?  They have numerous capable running backs on the roster and can certainly let Hall ease into the lineup over the first few weeks.  Why aren't those that want him asking why a playoff team like Minnesota is trying to trade him and may end up cutting him?  Who is a better back?  Hall or Mattison?  The Jets have Carter, Abanikanda, and Knight.  RB is a plug and play position.  They need money for the Rodgers contract, Q, and possibly an offensive tackle (things aren't exactly shored up there with Brown, Becton, Mitchell and Warren all coming off injuries).  You don't sign a player just to keep him from the Dolphins.  You don't sign a player because he is a "name."  Did anyone learn from the Bell signing.   Cook is older than Bell was when he came to the Jets.  I know I keep posting about NOT signing players like OBJ, Hopkins, and now Cook, but it is rarely worth signing older players discarded by their original teams. 

When Cook signs elsewhere, who's next? Elliott?

Fournette was discarded by the jags and helped the bucs to a super bowl. 

And Michael Carter is not good enough. Not sure about knight and the izzy is a late round flier. Last year the running game collapsed the moment hall got hurt. So let's not act as if there isn't a need. 

Signing a vet like Cook to allow hall to ease back in is a smart move. It's not necessary, but luckily we are pretty good at every position at this point.....at least ones that can be so easily filled with a 1 year deal like RB. We aren't finding a tackle for that kind of deal. 

• Upvote 2

ive loved him in college. wanted to draft him, im pretty sure instead we took maye. i know signing vet rbs usually does not work but he would be a huge upgrade over carter. hall carter bam and the rook is solid. not sure if they would carry 4 but cook is great at catching short passes and taking them for big gains. basically sign me up hes only 27

17 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And Michael Carter is not good enough. Not sure about knight and the izzy is a late round flier. Last year the running game collapsed the moment hall got hurt. So let's not act as if there isn't a need. 

Signing a vet like Cook to allow hall to ease back in is a smart move. It's not necessary, but luckily we are pretty good at every position at this point.....at least ones that can be so easily filled with a 1 year deal like RB. We aren't finding a tackle for that kind of deal. 

Fournette was 25 years old the year of the Super Bowl run.  Big difference.

Again, why does a playoff team with Alexander Mattison, Kent Nwangwu, CJ Ham and Ty Chandler in the running back room want to dump Cook?  Maybe because he's "cooked?"

22 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

1) Cook agreeing to a FA deal before being cut would be tampering

2) The odds that Joe Douglas is planning on paying a RUNNINGBACK 11M are asymptotically approaching zero

Why in the world would anyone believe this?

Only if Minnesota didn’t give permission.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Hope this isn't true. Cook is washed, IMO.

His stats don’t say he’s washed. And he would be on a 1 year contract with incentives. I personally don’t think Michael Carter and a special teams rookie is good enough Breece insurance. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Eh. 

Breece Hall played 7 games.  The Jets didn't crack 100 yards rushing in the 1st 4  They had a good 3 game run.  Hall got hurt in the 1st quarter against the Broncos when he had 72 yards rushing.  The team still went for 155, even if 24 were from Zach Wilson.  They sh*t the bed against the Patriots twice, but they had a huge game against the Bills and very good rush games against the Bears and Vikings. The wheels kind of fell off the whole offense down the stretch. During the stretch where they went from 2-2 to 7-4 they only had 4 turnovers and 3 were in the first Pats game.  Vikings game on, the turnovers and losses piled up.  I guess some of that goes with the down turn in the run game. 

I don't know what to make of Carter.  He certainly had a bad year and I don't see him as a #1 back, but I think with a functional pass game where teams respect the pass and he can run on pass downs and catch the ball out of the backfield he can be very effective.  He sucks for the ground and pound.  

I am okay with signing a vet, but I don't know how much I want to spend.  The NFL player guy that ran away says they were sniffing around Fournette.  Cook is certainly a step up.  I'm not sure how much I would want to pay him.  The "rumor" says we are going to give him $11M.  Is that for one year?  If so, why?  At that point, why not trade a 7th for him?  Isn't that what he is set to make?  In fact, wouldn't the Vikings maybe kick in a 7th since a trade would save them an extra $2M against the cap from his guaranteed salary?  Does he have a bunch of game bonuses that I don't remember?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are 2 separate aspects to this argument surrounding this unsubstantiated and highly unlikely rumor:

1.  Is Dalvin Cook worth adding to the RB room?

This is highly debatable.  Especially for the high pricetag.  

2.  Do the Jets need to add a RB?

This is the part that is silly to me.  Of course the Jets need to add a RB, even if it isn't Cook or someone of his caliber. 

I cannot fathom why anyone would argue RB "isn't a need".  Why?  Because of Michael Carter and his career 4.0 yards per carry?  The dude had just 7 broken tackles on 114 attempts last season.  A miserable 1.2 yards per carry after contact.  He sucks.  

I like Bam Knight.  But are you comfortable with him leading the committee until Breece Hall starts looking like Breece?  

I also liked the Abanikanda pick.  He has traits you look for.  But you also need to pass block to play and that will take time too.

And we all know there will be injuries.  Remember the last time we had to make a desperation move at RB because of injuries?  How did James Robinson work out?  I'd much rather pick someone up in June that would be more useful to us than Carter rather than play "wait and see" at the position.

It's a need.

cook being good fit here or anywhere is not debatable really. It is a hard yes. 10 mill for older good back is easy money 

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

cook being good fit here or anywhere is not debatable really. It is a hard yes. 10 mill for older good back is easy money 

You pay for what you're getting, not what he's done prior.  He has shoulder issues and the Vikings are all too eager to get him off the books even though they'd have to eat quite a bit of dead money to do so, whether he's cut or traded. 

Those factors aren't enough for me to say no to Cook at all but it is enough for me to question whether he's worth $10M.  $10M is top-10 RB money and I'm not convinced Cook is still top 10.  Apparently...neither are the Vikings.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You pay for what you're getting, not what he's done prior.  He has shoulder issues and the Vikings are all too eager to get him off the books even though they'd have to eat quite a bit of dead money to do so, whether he's cut or traded. 

Those factors aren't enough for me to say no to Cook at all but it is enough for me to question whether he's worth $10M.  $10M is top-10 RB money and I'm not convinced Cook is still top 10.  Apparently...neither are the Vikings.

true true, very true...I dont know if Im convinced either but i'd gamble a bit with him. I think he could make it till hall gets back mid season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it’s $10m for just this year and we can fit him under the cap, who cares? There’s still room to sign Kwon also.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are 2 separate aspects to this argument surrounding this unsubstantiated and highly unlikely rumor:

1.  Is Dalvin Cook worth adding to the RB room?

This is highly debatable.  Especially for the high pricetag.  

2.  Do the Jets need to add a RB?

This is the part that is silly to me.  Of course the Jets need to add a RB, even if it isn't Cook or someone of his caliber. 

I cannot fathom why anyone would argue RB "isn't a need".  Why?  Because of Michael Carter and his career 4.0 yards per carry?  The dude had just 7 broken tackles on 114 attempts last season.  A miserable 1.2 yards per carry after contact.  He sucks.  

I like Bam Knight.  But are you comfortable with him leading the committee until Breece Hall starts looking like Breece?  

I also liked the Abanikanda pick.  He has traits you look for.  But you also need to pass block to play and that will take time too.

And we all know there will be injuries.  Remember the last time we had to make a desperation move at RB because of injuries?  How did James Robinson work out?  I'd much rather pick someone up in June that would be more useful to us than Carter rather than play "wait and see" at the position.

It's a need.

I was pretty excited about Carter last year before the season started but once he was asked to do more, he just didn’t look to be anything special. You could have confused him for a special teams player. What does he do well? He is just a guy. He has a lot to prove. He lost me last year.

bam is the kind of running back that just runs the play as it’s designed. If the blocking is good, he’ll find the hole. If the blocking is poor, the play won’t work. He’s your typical 3rd / 4th string rb. 

a 5th round rookie is exactly that. Complete dice throw.

we really do not have much behind breece hall, who has his own question marks. Maybe dalvin is over priced, but if he were here, I don’t think we’re wasting any serious talent by giving him snaps. 

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

yeah cool that is a good idea lets trade mims for davanta adams too? hey think they should throw in hardman or maybe bam knight for justin jeffries? 

They are likely going to cut Cook. A Carter for Cook trade works great for Min.

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Why who else should we sign with all this cap space we have? Doesn’t look like Hopkins wants to come here anyway

What cap space?  It's an illusion.  Just like you can always create more space if you really want somebody, any cap space we have had already been spent on the Quinnen Williams extension and the reimagining of Aaron Rodgers contract.  Do you think Rodgers is really going to play for $1.15M in 2023?  If he does, doesn't that mean that he will take up more than a third of our cap next year?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Only if Minnesota didn’t give permission.  

Article above only talks about Cook's interest in joining the Jets ... unclear if Jets have interest. Because they wouldn't be able to comment.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1