Rodgers New Deal Announced: Biggest Pay Cut in NFL History

I'm not sure how to feel? It has to go wrong, doesn't it?

There's too much going smoothly for the Jets this offseason, it feels strange 😂😂😂.

Fair play to Rodgers, JD and all involved, that's a deal where both parties win, and it helps the team equally. 

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So is it a two year or a five year?

Is it simply two years $75mm all guaranteed or is there something more there.

Two years $75mm all guaranteed would be a massive win for Douglas and the Jets - almost hard to believe it's that's good.

But what's the 5 years about? How much more than the "guaranteed"?

so they can spread some of that into dead years for cap purposes, I think..

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So to be clear..

2023 and 2024 - is $75mm total - all guaranteed...

Then if they want him in 2025 it's $37.5

then a couple of more void years allowing them to spread out the cap hit...

If that's the case and there's no additional salary in 23 or 24 beyond the guarantee - this is a massive win...

yes, it is

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

This thread is the greatest thread we have ever had. The world we live in everything can be and is questioned. You think something is good and somebody pushes you down a rabbit hole telling you it's not good.

This is the first time I remember a Jets move since I started thus site in 2005 that there's not one single complaint.

Honestly never thought I would live to see the day.

Thank you Aaron Rodgers.

We haven't heard from Bitonti yet. Just sayin....

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They sent in Clemons and his barbed wired baseball bat!

Seems like a great deal for the Jets, now we just have to do it when it counts.

The beauty of this deal is that they didn't really have to exert any leverage at all. This is what Rodgers wants. He's obviously not fixated on money at this point, just being happy and being in an organization that will work with him to deliver success. 

P.S. It doesn't "seem" like a great deal; it "IS" a great deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Give us 3 superbowls... And you will become a living legend. 

Or just beat the Pats down... Every time they play... Give us the revenge we have waited for. 

3???? How about 1?

Look, I share the enthusiasm but this is how quickly a fanbase can go from plucky underdogs to entitled.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

3???? How about 1?

Look, I share the enthusiasm but this is how quickly a fanbase can go from plucky underdogs to entitled.

I'm so beaten down that my personal measure for a successful season is anything past the wild card. The bar is "don't actively make my life worse" after the last decade.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Tooooon said:

I’m as happy as anyone about all of this but AR looks like a hobo who fell asleep on the beach then woke up and found a Jets jersey and helmet to put on 

the NFL memes bit on it was hilarious 

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Give us 3 superbowls... And you will become a living legend. 

Or just beat the Pats down... Every time they play... Give us the revenge we have waited for. 

Like beating to death a Grizzly pup to get revenge on the Grizzly Bear that ate your friend.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tooooon said:

I’m as happy as anyone about all of this but AR looks like a hobo who fell asleep on the beach then woke up and found a Jets jersey and helmet to put on 

Hysterical.  I thought the same thing when I saw that pic.  Rodgers looks delirious.

The media starts to question his mental health in 3.2.1 ..

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

JD:  “Aaron, we’d like to renegotiate your deal and save some Cap space. Are you open to that?”

AR: “Okay, how about just cutting $35M guaranteed right off the top and spreading the Cap hit over more years?”

JD: “………………………(starts to drool) …….. ugh……Okay?”

AR: “I mean it will still be great compensation, I’ve already made a lot in my career, living in a cave for one-month each year is dirt cheap, and I really want to f**k the Packers.”

JD: “Sold.”

I know this was meant to be funny, but is it really that far from the truth?

I'm a JD supporter, but I'm not sure how much credit he gets here.  This isn't him strong-arming the Seahawks for Adams or fleecing the Panthers for Darnold (or Vikings for Herndon, or Texans for Cashman . . . it really is a pretty long list!)

I'm sure JD made the parameters of the contract, but there's nothing in there AR isn't OK with.  It really is mind-blowing for Jets fans who are used to the exact OPPOSITE outcome in these situations . . .

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

JD:  “Aaron, we’d like to renegotiate your deal and save some Cap space. Are you open to that?”

AR: “Okay, how about just cutting $35M guaranteed right off the top and spreading the Cap hit over more years?”

JD: “………………………(starts to drool) …….. ugh……Okay?”

AR: “I mean it will still be great compensation, I’ve already made a lot in my career, living in a cave for one-month each year is dirt cheap, and I really want to f**k the Packers.”

JD: “Sold.”

It was really easy for AR to be cool with this after Woody dropped a bag with $100 million in cash at his house when they met.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I feel like we should have a celebratory Ayahuasca party via Zoom.  I'll be your shaman.  We will turn the lights off, just guided by our computer screens as we enter the 5th dimension to channel Rodgers greatness. 

Well, where's my zoom invite?

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Saw this somewhere on Twitter but worth mentioning here:

Rodgers took a $35M pay cut.

Zach Wilson's entire rookie contract is $35M.

Did Rodgers just pick up the tab for his protege's entire contract?

Hmm... 🤔

Devante Adams cap hit next two years is $39M…

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Saw this somewhere on Twitter but worth mentioning here:

Rodgers took a $35M pay cut.

Zach Wilson's entire rookie contract is $35M.

Did Rodgers just pick up the tab for his protege's entire contract?

Hmm... 🤔

A month ago I thought Zach was done. Not capable. Now maybe Rogers can fix him. I believe in Rogers haha