Browns Cut QB Kellen Mond

“I don’t do rankings for popularity, I do them because I want to be a GM one day."

- Chris Simms on ranking Kellen Mond over Justin Fields, 2021

@JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Was always likely to happen, when the Browns drafted/stole DTR in the 5th round.  That guy looks like the real deal.

Mond has been a bust in the NFL so far.  Still better than Tim Boyle, though.

The plan is not obtain the best qb3, that would challenge ( and likely easily win ) the number 2. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 1

47 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Lmao Simms reputation as a QB guru is in the trash now I hope 

If by “QB guru” you mean someone who can reliably predict which college QBs become franchise QBs in the NFL and which ones don’t, I would say those guys don’t exist. If they did, they would be working for NFL front offices by now and NFL teams would be MUCH better at drafting QBs. It’s an incredibly difficult position to scout because so much of it is between the ears. 

Simms also had both Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen over Mayfield and Darnold. He also had Hurts and Burrow (and Love) over Tua and Wilson over Lawrence. He’s guessing just like everyone else. 

• Upvote 3

Lol, I remember the draft year, and how everyone was so high on Wilson because Simms was high on him and he loved Josh Allen.  The main board here was so toxic with "Chris Simms expert" that I think we stayed with the draft prospects in the draft section, instead of intermingling here. 

Simms just like any sports media guy trying to make a name realizes that the standard approach doesn't work.  If you go with the consensus, you are entirely dependent on the platform you present on for viewership, rather than the platform depending on your status.  What makes you stand out in draft predictions is the previous year's draft when you hit on sleepers.  No one cares about the Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen hits, until drafts later when they google "Josh/Lamar draft" and see you had them ranked high.  There's less people that are googling "Sam Darnold/Trey Lance draft" so it's a better business model.  

He went out on a limb for Josh Allen/Lamar, and he hit on it.  Therefore, he needs to take calculated shots to continue that momentum with Wilson/Mond.  If he hits, more people remember him.  That's all he's doing, he needs the hot takes because those bring the clicks.  Everyone does it, even the good Youtube film breakdowns or random site articles.  You get hits when you against the flow.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

WOW I'm really surprised by this. I thought Mond , who was drafted in the 3rd round in 21 , had ideal height at 6' 3" and a great arm would have made the final 53. It's a numbers gane .

Did you ever watch him play in college?

My wife and her whole family are Aggies, I watched him 20+ times.   He is crazy streaky, and can be very inaccurate.  His arm strength is fine, but not great touch, not a great release.

9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

My 11 years old loves Indiana Jones. He wants to go as Major Tott this Halloween.  Well, he's also reading Starship Troopers for his first 6th grade grade book report.

Sean is a crazy little dude.

That's a really good book, that has very little to do with the movies.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“I don’t do rankings for popularity, I do them because I want to be a GM one day."

- Chris Simms on ranking Kellen Mond over Justin Fields, 2021

@JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF @JiF@JiF @JiF @JiF 

Maybe Peyton Manning could endorse him to Robert Kraft for the GM job.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

If by “QB guru” you mean someone who can reliably predict which college QBs become franchise QBs in the NFL and which ones don’t, I would say those guys don’t exist. If they did, they would be working for NFL front offices by now and NFL teams would be MUCH better at drafting QBs. It’s an incredibly difficult position to scout because so much of it is between the ears. 

Simms also had both Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen over Mayfield and Darnold. He also had Hurts and Burrow (and Love) over Tua and Wilson over Lawrence. He’s guessing just like everyone else. 

I mean, QBASE gave Kellen Mond a 72 % chance of busting, FWIW.

The formula was also very high on the likes of Justin Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson pre-draft, with none of them being automatic slam dunks.

The formula also hated guys like Hackenberg, Josh Rosen, Mac Jones, Connor Cook, Davis Webb, Kyle Trask, Brodie Croyle, DeShone Kizer, Brock Osweiler, etc etc, some of whom the scouts and analysts loved.  

There’s never going to be a trustworthy source but QBase is better than any analysts I’ve seen.  They’re especially good at sniffing out busts.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your annual reminder that Chris Simms had Mond ahead of Justin Fields on his draft board AND also had him above Jalen Hurts (unranked) on his active top-40 QB rankings in 2021:

E4nDSEvXMAUOeHp?format=png&name=large

@JiF

HAHA, Zach one ahead of Trevor should cost him his spleen, if he still had one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, QBASE gave Kellen Mond a 72 % chance of busting, FWIW.

The formula was also very high on the likes of Justin Herbert, Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson pre-draft, with none of them being automatic slam dunks.

The formula also hated guys like Hackenberg, Josh Rosen, Mac Jones, Connor Cook, Davis Webb, Kyle Trask, Brodie Croyle, DeShone Kizer, Brock Osweiler, etc etc, some of whom the scouts and analysts loved.  

There’s never going to be a trustworthy source but QBase is better than any analysts I’ve seen.  They’re especially good at sniffing out busts.  

QBASE is decent, but there are still tons of counter examples that would have sunk a GM Blindly following it. Off the top of my head, QBASE preferred Davis Webb and Trubisky to Watson (but, to be fair, did really like Mahomes) and LOVED mayfield, easily preferring him over Allen and Jackson. 

I will say that QBASE is probably as good as you can hope to do using statistics alone. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

That’s all cool. But two years ago people thought he was better than others.

6 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

That’s all cool. But two years ago people thought he was better than others.

Indeed. I guess I never did. And I don't think he is worse than the lot, either. He's just another guy with an opinion. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. 

31 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

QBASE is decent, but there are still tons of counter examples that would have sunk a GM Blindly following it. Off the top of my head, QBASE preferred Davis Webb and Trubisky to Watson (but, to be fair, did really like Mahomes) and LOVED mayfield, easily preferring him over Allen and Jackson. 

I will say that QBASE is probably as good as you can hope to do using statistics alone. 

QBASE didn't prefer Davis Webb to Trubisky.  They ranked the eligible (highly touted) prospects in 2017 in this order:

1. Mahomes (656 DYAR Years 3-5)
  2. Trubisky (435)
  3. Joshua Dobbs (419)
  4. Davis Webb (286)
  5. Watson (261)
  6. Brad Kaaya (6)
  7. Kizer (-30)
  8. Nathan Peterman (-245)

They whiffed on Watson but nailed it on Mahomes.  Certainly NOT a popular take for anyone other than Andy Reid, @RJIII, or a very small few at the time, lol.  And of course they had Peterman sniffed out as a terrible prospect.

And since then they've tinkered with the formula, because they realized they'd graded Watson poorly because he had so much talent around him at Clemson.  Since then they've given less weight to the supporting cast, I believe.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QBASE didn't prefer Davis Webb.  They ranked the eligible (highly touted) prospects in 2017 in this order:

2. Trubisky (435)
  3. Joshua Dobbs (419)
  4. Davis Webb (286)
  5. Watson (261)
  6. Brad Kaaya (6)
  7. Kizer (-30)

Doesn't this say they preferred Webb to Watson? Maybe I don't understand what you are saying. But you agree they preferred Trubisky to Watson?

Confused

edit: Note - I pointed out that they preferred both Davis Webb and Trubisky to Watson, not Davis Webb to Trubisky

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Doesn't this say they preferred Webb to Watson? Maybe I don't understand what you are saying. But you agree they preferred Trubisky to Watson?

Confused

I had edited my post.  Here's the edited version:

QBASE didn't prefer Davis Webb to Trubisky.  They ranked the eligible (highly touted) prospects in 2017 in this order:

2. Trubisky (435)
  3. Joshua Dobbs (419)
  4. Davis Webb (286)
  5. Watson (261)
  6. Brad Kaaya (6)
  7. Kizer (-30)

They whiffed on Watson but nailed it on Mahomes.  Certainly NOT a popular take for anyone other than Andy Reid, @RJIII, or a very small few at the time, lol.  And of course they had Peterman sniffed out as a terrible prospect.

And since then they've tinkered with the formula, because they realized they'd graded Watson poorly because he had so much talent around him at Clemson.  Since then they've given less weight to the supporting cast, I believe.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Confused

I think he just misread your post and thought you said they preferred Webb to Trubisky. 

You were correct they preferred both Webb and Trubisky over Watson.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I had edited my post.  Here's the edited version:

2. Trubisky (435)
  3. Joshua Dobbs (419)
  4. Davis Webb (286)
  5. Watson (261)
  6. Brad Kaaya (6)
  7. Kizer (-30)

Right, but I wasn't saying they preferred Webb to Trubisky, I was saying they preferred both Webb and Trubisky to Watson. 

QBASE has big misses at the top of the draft like everyone else, although I think it's a reasonable tool based on statistics alone. 

3 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Jelly much? SImms is as good as the most accurate prognosticators here on JN except he gets paid a ton to be innaccurate.

Why do people assume anyone who makes good money is worthy of our jealousy?  He is laughably bad at his job, and that is worthy of our mockery.  Or are you one of those folks who think someone's worth to society is decided upon entirely by the free market?