Zach “reluctant” to start again at QB

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Zach can make any throw that the league asks of him 

he just can't do it in 2.5 seconds 

I’ve been writing it for days, the jets draft qbs based on all the wrong criteria.  Everything is tools and upside.  Then they draft guys like darnold and wilson with poor vision, footwork and accuracy.  At least darnold had more of a feel for the game and pocket awareness, but wilson has none.  

If the jets draft a qb in 2024, esp. if douglas is still here, they’re going to value maturity and leadership more, finally.  Why take a qb and then say they have to change everything about his footwork?  Take a guy who can win you a game

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

What we're seeing is the disastrous domino effect that happens after management does away with the team-first philosophy and caters to the whims and desires of individual players.

The Jets are a complete disaster right now, a complete and total mess that makes previous administrations look like a well-oiled juggernaut.

And the best part is it's not over yet! Fasten your seatbelts, fans, and let's watch how low it can go.

Good thing we hired Joe Douglas to do rebuilds the right way! ….that said, this is just a speculative story at this point, the fact it’s so believable speaks volumes….but it could be BS

24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just to be clear -- Beningo is explicitly stating Saleh has texted him this or that's your read on Beningo's comments?

Explicitly says he texts Saleh, and quite frequently. Evan asks him if Saleh texts back and Joe says, “Yeah, all the time.”

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

So is this real or

Yeah, I'm going to call BS.

Can you imagine Zach walking around the facility and telling multiple people he doesn't want to play because he's concerned he'll get injured? Could you imagine people's reactions? What purpose would it serve?

It doesn't pass the smell test. And the fact the story keeps changing makes it even more suspect.

From the article itself:

Jets coach Robert Saleh said later in his weekly Monday news conference that he had not decided who will start at quarterback against the Houston Texans in Week 14, but that Wilson told him when they met 30 minutes earlier that he wanted to play. If Wilson were asked directly by the Jets (4-8) to start, he would agree to that, a source familiar with Wilson’s thinking said.

WTF does "asked directly" mean? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Can you imagine Zach walking around the facility and telling multiple people he doesn't want to play because he's concerned he'll get injured? Could you imagine people's reactions? What purpose would it serve?

It doesn't pass the smell test. And the fact the story keeps changing makes it even more suspect.

I can imagine this exact very thing quite easily.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ve been writing it for days, the jets draft qbs based on all the wrong criteria.  Everything is tools and upside.  Then they draft guys like darnold and wilson with poor vision, footwork and accuracy.  At least darnold had more of a feel for the game and pocket awareness, but wilson has none.  

If the jets draft a qb in 2024, esp. if douglas is still here, they’re going to value maturity and leadership more, finally.  Why take a qb and then say they have to change everything about his footwork?  Take a guy who can win you a game

I think the Jets QB problem is that Woody wants to be involved when it’s a high pick and Woody wants his QB to be a nice, pretty kid he can drag around to parties and fundraisers, and everything else is secondary. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

There could  be an element of truth here, maybe Wilson's agent approached the team, but if true or even partially true, what I'd really like to know is who leaked this.  I don't see it benefitting team Wilson so doubt it came from there.  Likewise, how does it benefit the coaching staff or management to create a huge distraction and feed into the Jets are a clown storyline?

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think the Jets QB problem is that Woody wants to be involved when it’s a high pick and Woody wants his QB to be a nice, pretty kid he can drag around to parties and fundraisers, and everything else is secondary. 

This is exactly what it is.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Every Jets and Giants player who has a brain should be concerned about playing at Met Life.  The field should be condemned.  If you keep going out on that field behind that line at some point you're getting carted off the field.  Rodgers lasted 4 plays.  Rodgers is so dumb he's worried about the Jets drafting a QB rather than replacing the turf.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t think so.  They pick the guy everyone says they should pick.  Douglas has had some success evaluating players at other positions, which is a step up from what we’re used to.  But then with qbs it’s tools and upside.  Even captain morgan, big imposing guy with a big arm.  No feel for the position.  These jet gms go for the fences with every qb pick, looking at all the wrong criteria, but then douglas can find guys to play cb, lb, de, wr and rb. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

he's not dumb enough to stand up and say it to teammates in the locker room 

but at the end of the day it's up to Zach what Zach does 

not his agent or his mama or his best friend (assuming he has any friends left whos mom he didn't bang) 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

These jet gms go for the fences with every qb pick, looking at all the wrong criteria, but then douglas can find guys to play cb, lb, de, wr and rb. 

i notice you left offensive line out of the list

Joe Douglas started 45 games for richmond at the offensive line and he can't scout his own position worth a damn 

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I never listen to the FAN anymore, but I turned it on to listen to Saleh, and left it on awhile longer. The biggest takeaway for me is this: why the **** is Robert Saleh texting Joe Beningo and why does Joe Beningo feel like it’s ok to share the content of those texts? Beningo shares that Saleh 1. Doesn’t like Zach, 2. Keeps a list of other coach’s records without their QB1, and 3. When Beningo texted Saleh that Zach gives him the best chance to win, Saleh replied, “Joe, are you kidding?” I know Francesa had personal relationships with Dolan, Parcells, Buck, etc, but even Francesa wouldn’t throw guys under the bus so explicitly. 

Saleh gave him permission to leak that out. Career damage control. He's been stuck with Zach as his QB for three years, and this time they even took away Joe Flacco and Mike White as backup options. He was f*cked over.

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson has been put in a bad situation since he was drafted. He ate a lot of sh*t and the team really made him look bad in the process, regardless of the fact that the kid isn't any good at QB.

This is the ULTIMATE revenge to send to Douglas and Saleh. If you think for a moment this incident isn't pissing Woody off to no end, then just remember what got Rex fired. 

It wasn't the 6-10 season in 2012, or the collapse of 2011...it was 2013/2014 when everyone started saying this organization became a clown show. That's what's happening now. Good for Zach Wilson and bye bye to the Douglas-Saleh regime.

5 minutes ago, cat999 said:

There could  be an element of truth here, maybe Wilson's agent approached the team, but if true or even partially true, what I'd really like to know is who leaked this.  I don't see it benefitting team Wilson so doubt it came from there.  Likewise, how does it benefit the coaching staff or management to create a huge distraction and feed into the Jets are a clown storyline?

I’d imagine someone from Zach’s camp made it clear to Douglas that Zach is done as a Jet and they don’t want to further risk his health and safety by playing him again in a lost season. I’m sure Zach himself would go out and play “if asked” because he doesn’t want to look like a puss, but the people who rep Zach are rightly looking out for his future. 

• Upvote 4

Zach looked like he didn’t want to play weeks ago. He wasn’t upset he was benched. 

His family and agent surely already started to plan for his exit from the team, and no one expected that he’d be asked to play again this season. He’s played good solider with the hopes of getting a fresh start elsewhere following the season.

Then Boyle and Siemian sh*t the bed and the Jets realize that they might need Zach if they’re going to win any more games. 

This situation and the initial reports are not a challenge to believe at all. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

he's not dumb enough to stand up and say it to teammates in the locker room 

but at the end of the day it's up to Zach what Zach does 

not his agent or his mama or his best friend (assuming he has any friends left whos mom he didn't bang) 

Was it his friend's mama or his teammate in the locker room's mama?

• Haha 2

Just now, bitonti said:

i notice you left offensive line out of the list

Joe Douglas started 45 games for richmond at the offensive line and he can't scout his own position worth a damn 

Yes i did, deliberately, though becton is probably a decent RT, tippman looks to be a good c prospect and avt was playing at a high level before injuries.  So you know, he has hit with these guys when they’re healthy.  They don’t suck, i guess, is the main point.  It’s a big step up from prior gms.  But the job is mostly about finding qbs.  If you don’t, you’re gone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

Saleh gave him permission to leak that out. Career damage control. He's been stuck with Zach as his QB for three years, and this time they even took away Joe Flacco and Mike White as backup options. He was f*cked over.

Assuming that’s true, is the conclusion that saleh believes he will be gone after the season?

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Zach Wilson has been put in a bad situation since he was drafted. He ate a lot of sh*t and the team really made him look bad in the process, regardless of the fact that the kid isn't any good at QB.

This is the ULTIMATE revenge to send to Douglas and Saleh. If you think for a moment this incident isn't pissing Woody off to no end, then just remember what got Rex fired. 

It wasn't the 6-10 season in 2012, or the collapse of 2011...it was 2013/2014 when everyone started saying this organization became a clown show. That's what's happening now. Good for Zach Wilson and bye bye to the Douglas-Saleh regime.

It's a good take but the bling around Woody's neck says in 2023 he's good with a clown show. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  I would also love to see ZW sign with some other team (Bengals?) and lead them to wins.  What a clusterfvck of an organization the Jets are.

"Lead them to wins", lmao.  I think the last time ZW "led" a team to a win was against some FCS school in Alabama.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1