Offsides "controversy" in Chiefs-Buffs game

rbstern

It was clearly a penalty.

But the flag wasn't thrown until Mahomes was deep in his drop.

Did the ref decide to throw the flag when he saw Kelce was wide open?

There's so much money changing hands in sports betting, you can bet there's a lot of corruption in the mix.  That penalty changed the payouts.  Think about that.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 2

52 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

There's so much money changing hands in sports betting, you can bet there's a lot of corruption in the mix.  That penalty changed the payouts.  Think about that.

https://twitter.com/JoeyMulinaro/status/1734337296218919165/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1734337296218919165&currentTweetUser=JoeyMulinaro

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, freestater said:

Terrible call. And I'm not just saying that because I hate seeing bills fans happy. 

...maybe

Yeah I'm conflicted. I don't want Mahomes yet again rewarded for Brady Rules now Mahomes Rules. On the other hand Josh Allen has such a punchable face himself with that sorry ass excuse for a mustache that looks like he drew it in with his mom's eyebrow pencil. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I never realized how much of a douche Mahomes is, btw. Did you see his interaction with Josh Allen after the game? Can't even congratulate the guy - just bitching about the refs.

Good times create weak men

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic said:

It was thrown as soon as the ball was snapped.

• Upvote 1

Here's the issue. It was a dumb call. The type you never make with the game on the line.

However, the way the Chiefs reacted to it was even dumber. They've had dumb calls all season go their way, and now when it goes the other way, now it's a problem?

I love watching the Chiefs play. They have an electric offense most of the time. However, the way they reacted to this, and specifically Mahomes, is just sad. I doubt he would have reacted like that 3 years ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He threw the flag before Mahomes threw the ball. Never mind also well before it was caught, before Kelce threw it to Toney, and before Toney ran it in for the score.

The ref took the time it takes to reach into his pocket, pull it out (hey now), and throw it. After the ball is snapped. He isn't standing there with a flag already in his hand ready to throw it. They have to first commit the penalty.

A late flag is after the outcome of the play is known (like I brought up earlier, with that phantom DPI they called on Sauce after he picked off Mahomes).

This flag wasn't thrown late at all. Mahomes acted like a sore loser bitch who didn't just win a super bowl last season on a far worse call.

The ref had to see his foot in the neutral zone before the ball was snapped, because once the ball is snapped, the opportunity is lost.  And that being the case, the flag should have been thrown immediately after the ball was snapped, not halfway through the play.  I don't have any skin in this game, whereas your pet peeve with Mahomes is obviously clouding your judgement.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, rbstern said:

I see all these headlines about how upset Andy Reid and co. are about the offsides call that undid a fancy touchdown play.

And I don't get it.

The Chiefs' Toney clearly lined up in the neutral zone.  Not a little.  Most of his foot was forward of the ball.  His helmet was in the same plane as the ball.  The only other player who had a body part that far forward was the center, who's hand on the ball was in the same plane as Toney's helmet, but behind Toney's foot.  

The Chiefs' tackles are lined up so far back, the call could have just as easily been an illegal formation for too many men in the backfield.

Either the media is inventing the controversy, or the Chiefs are the whiniest sore losers in the league.

image.png.30006b29dc9c81f48797d85d76b91352.png

PM is truly an ah. Let us play? Screw the rules, right? He wants to win even if only because of the refs. I am truly staring to dislike him and the Chiefs a lot.

7 hours ago, Hex said:

Chiefs just aren't used to it. At this point the players on the Jets know that whining won't do anything. Chiefs haven't ran into that problem yet.

Coming from the team that has had more unwarranted calls go in their favor, they need to STFU. I don’t remember them complaining when a call went in their favor that was questionable or blatantly favorable 

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

When you're used to cheating and then you can't.. it seems unfair. It's called the "Patriots Syndrome" or more colloquially the "Bill Belichick is a scumbag" syndrome.

I’ll never forget the Patriots fan, overheard in a bar by someone here, saying that you get a few seconds leeway before calling delay of game 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Supersonic said:

The ref had to see his foot in the neutral zone before the ball was snapped, because once the ball is snapped, the opportunity is lost.  And that being the case, the flag should have been thrown immediately after the ball was snapped, not halfway through the play.  I don't have any skin in this game, whereas your pet peeve with Mahomes is obviously clouding your judgement.

lmao refs throw enough flags without having their hands on the flags already when the ball is snapped, thank you

The flag was thrown within two seconds of the snap, which is plenty fast.

Arguably they should've thrown it on the first play of the game: unsportsmanlike conduct on Mahomes for that stupid haircut.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Here's another angle to bring into the discussion. Penalty flags that are thrown at the line are most times seen by the offense as a free play for D being offsides. QBs know they can take bigger risks because of this. Other players may know that too.

Maybe - just maybe - Kelce only lobs that lateral because he knows there's a flag so worst case they're still getting the penalty. If no flag gets thrown, maybe that's a just a regular completed pass, no spectacular TD ... who knows?

22 hours ago, Hex said:

And either way, I've always viewed offsides as a ticky-tack call. It should be very clear IMO that being offsides actually affects said play for it to be called, especially since it lets the play happen. I highly doubt that Toney's half a yard of offsides was what led to a TD, but a rule's a rule. It's on the refs if they didn't warn though.

Yeah, because refs don’t have enough to do, they need to decide whether or not to call fouls that are fouls dependent on the play or the outcome of the play.

You eliminate a ton of controversy by just calling fouls as they occur, not after the fact

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

lets be real. The refs can call holding or PI on any given play. That's baked in. 

it's not a sport, it's not a court, it's not a military function 

it's entertainment

the supreme court ruled we the consumers don't have a right to "fairness"

There's no such thing as "fair" in football 

everything should be in service of the entertainment

I think all the legalized gambling sort of means they have to keep an appearance of fairness. 

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think all the legalized gambling sort of means they have to keep an appearance of fairness. 

They don't really. It never was fair and it never will be 

In 2007 a Jets season ticket holder sued the NFL for $185 million and the case reached the US Supreme Court. The Jets fan argued that, all Jets fans are entitled to refunds because they paid for a ticket to a legitimate sporting event. Had he been aware that the games were not real then we would not have gone.

The Judge stated that a ticket to a game only provides you access to the stadium. The fan entered the stadium, witnessed a game, therefore he did not suffer any damages. The fan’s lawyer disagreed and argued that the NFL committed consumer fraud.

Judges ruled that fixing a game for entertainment purposes was completely LEGAL.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, because refs don’t have enough to do, they need to decide whether or not to call fouls that are fouls dependent on the ply or the outcome of the play.

You eliminate a ton of controversy by just calling fouls as they occur, not after the fact

Do you think in any way that Toney's foot being 5 inches over the line could in any way help the Chiefs score a TD? You don't need to wait until after the fact to know what types of fouls change a play, ie Holding, false starts, PI, Etc. 

I'm not defending the way the Chiefs reacted to the call, but this is a football game, not a surgical operation. 

9 minutes ago, Hex said:

Do you think in any way that Toney's foot being 5 inches over the line could in any way help the Chiefs score a TD? You don't need to wait until after the fact to know what types of fouls change a play, ie Holding, false starts, PI, Etc. 

I'm not defending the way the Chiefs reacted to the call, but this is a football game, not a surgical operation. 

what about 10 inches? 20? What's the rule we should make about how much one can violate a particular rule? Should this be like a sub-addendum to the rule itself or a separate rule?

15 hours ago, Hex said:

Here's the issue. It was a dumb call. The type you never make with the game on the line.

However, the way the Chiefs reacted to it was even dumber. They've had dumb calls all season go their way, and now when it goes the other way, now it's a problem?

I love watching the Chiefs play. They have an electric offense most of the time. However, the way they reacted to this, and specifically Mahomes, is just sad. I doubt he would have reacted like that 3 years ago.

how is it a dumb call? he was clearly offsides....there's a reason you can't line up offsides, just like you can't line up off sides on defense. it gives an advantage, slight or not it doesn't matter. toney has been playing this game a long time, if he doesn't line up right that is HIS fault. no one else's.