Aaron Rodgers was the right move and still is

Jdeet

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When it comes to team building there is no sure thing. There's risk in every single move that every GM makes.

Judging them on the results of a statistically small sample size is a bad approach IMO. We all want results and we want them yesterday, I get it. I want a GM that is prioritizing the right things and seems to have a good process behind making decisions. 

I agree that going after Rodgers was the best move we could have made at QB last year. It was a high risk, high reward move. The results weren't good this year. Maybe it never works out - doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. I know that concept will be lost on many on here whose heads will explode.

Think of it this way - if you go all-in preflop with pocket aces and don't win, it doesn't mean you made the wrong decision. That's not to say going after Aaron Rodgers was the equivalent to holding pocket aces - I'm using the example to demonstrate that using results is a poor way of evaluating decisions in a statistically small sample size.

I think in today's NFL world this is backwards.  The GM's biggest imprint is who's coaching the talent and preparing the team.  Today, unlike years ago, all information on players is available to everyone.  It doesn't even need to be scouted.  The combine results are all available, interviews are all available,  tests are all available.  The draft is skewed and so is FA to give an advantage to bad teams until they improve.  

It's just data mining.  It's way less complicated than it ever has been.  It's less art now then at any time in the history of the game.  It's all science.   If you're not hitting the mean on draft picks and FA's you should get fired.   Chapt GTP could do our draft and manage our cap today without a scouting department. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think in today's NFL world this is backwards.  The GM's biggest imprint is who's coaching the talent and preparing the team.  Today, unlike years ago, all information on players is available to everyone.  It doesn't even need to be scouted.  The combine results are all available, interviews are all available,  tests are all available.  The draft is skewed and so is FA to give an advantage to bad teams until they improve.  

It's just data mining.  It's way less complicated than it ever has been.  It's less art now then at any time in the history of the game.  It's all science.   If you're not hitting the mean on draft picks and FA's you should get fired.   Chapt GTP could do our draft and manage our cap today without a scouting department. 

math and statistics haven't changed. I don't think judging a GM on results of small sample size is a good way of doing it - and the sample size is too small for every single one. How often do we hear people say JD shouldn't get to draft another QB because he missed on Wilson. It was one pick! What's the hit rate on first round QBs? Seems ridiculous to me but a lot of people think if you missed on one you're not qualified to ever try again regardless of the process behind it. 

If you put all your chips in preflop with AA and lose does it mean you should never do that again?

sounds like you're just throwing out some hot topic key words without even understanding them. What is "just data mining"? Have you ever even used "Chapt GTP" (ChatGPT)? What even is the mean "hit rate" on draft picks? I'd love to know what it is.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

So by this logic it's a lock he gets hurt next year?  Also who is "Tom Brady".  I bet Tampa wouldn't have minded trading a couple 2nds for what he gave them.

What's funny is I'm willing to bet you were sucking Mims' pecker back when we drafted him.  Most people were, from what I remember.  Now though, of course that was a stupid move....weird how that works.  Also no one is saying 2nds are bad picks.  They're lottery tickets, just like 1st rounders but to a lesser extent.  I wouldn't trade 2nds for any player, but a proven QB who in his worst season still would have been one of our best QBs of all time?  Yeah, that seems like a worthwhile price to pay.  

I get your schtick is to whine about everything, but like...can you just stick to the stuff that's actually worth whining about?  

"So by this logic it's a lock he gets hurt next year?"

It's very likely that AR, if he plays, will be hurt next year; for how long, who knows?  Terrible trade and JD was bidding against himself. He likely would have been there for the taking at salary alone. Would have been an awesome trade 10 years ago.  

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

math and statistics haven't changed. I don't think judging a GM on results of small sample size is a good way of doing it - and the sample size is too small for every single one. How often do we hear people say JD shouldn't get to draft another QB because he missed on Wilson. It was one pick! What's the hit rate on first round QBs? Seems ridiculous to me but a lot of people think if you missed on one you're not qualified to ever try again regardless of the process behind it. 

If you put all your chips in preflop with AA and lose does it mean you should never do that again?

sounds like you're just throwing out some hot topic key words without even understanding them. What is "just data mining"? Have you ever even used "Chapt GTP" (ChatGPT)? What even is the mean "hit rate" on draft picks? I'd love to know what it is.

The NFL is designed to level the playing field.  All information on players is public.  If you can’t field a team that’s close to 500 over 5 years you either can’t analyze the data or you have a judgement issue which convinces you to ignore it.

AI doesn’t have to exist. The data exists.  The NFL draft is about data mining.  It’s not magic or gut feel.  

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think many regret the move it’s just been horrible luck.  Eden the most pessimistic fan wouldn’t predict losing him for the year 4 plays in 

The Rodgers scenario has never been about the player and the bad luck he got hurt.

It is about all the things it took to get him which tangibly made this team much much worse.

• WTF? 1

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

You are aware that Rodgers has void years going out to 2028? 

His 2025 cap hit is like 60 mil 

It's a toxic contract and two wasted years of the young cores prime 

They’ll have a young QB to take over by then which will even out the money

hoepfully with a new regime

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:20 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Stud left tackle in the draft.  Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman signed as a free agent.  Big time olinemen signed as a free agent.  Aaron Rodgers healthy.  Breece year 2 after the acl.  Top 5 D in the league.

See you in August to talk Super Bowl Jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know none of this is happening 

2 hours ago, Plen T said:

They’ll have a young QB to take over by then which will even out the money

hoepfully with a new regime

They can't draft another QB with Rodgers here 

So when is this kid arriving? 2025 draft? 

Did the Jets lose enough in 2024 to assure a high pick? Because a project isn't starting as a rookie 

The Rodgers move was a terrible one for so many reasons.

First of all Douglas got robbed in the trade

Rodgers getting hurt was inevitable

Douglas did not back up 40 year Rodgers with an OL and a proper NFL WR core.

It was a terrible move that can be seen miles away and it failed miserably.  All y'all will still be shouting "It was just bad luck" when Rodgers gets hurt again next year...

Ultimately it will cost Douglas and Saleh their jobs - and deservedly so.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Rodgers move was a terrible one for so many reasons.

First of all Douglas got robbed in the trade

Rodgers getting hurt was inevitable

Douglas did not back up 40 year Rodgers with an OL and a proper NFL WR core.

It was a terrible move that can be seen miles away and it failed miserably.  All y'all will still be shouting "It was just bad luck" when Rodgers gets hurt again next year...

Ultimately it will cost Douglas and Saleh their jobs - and deservedly so.

Forgot not signing a backup qb 

I remember suggesting during the Rodgers-athon in the offseason, when I was fed up waiting for him to decide, that the Jets should just sign Mayfield and Minshew to similar, incentive-laded, deals and let them battle it out for the starting job.  The loser would have become a quality #2, allowing Wilson to sit as the #3 and have his full re-set.

I wonder where we would be now with, say, Mayfield starting and with his blindside protected by Broderick Jones (if the Jets actually would have picked him, I'm not sure they would have) and throwing to Garrett and another offensive weapon taken with the #2 pick we sent to Green Bay last year - let's say Rashee Rice. 

With all our key picks retained for 2024, and with a possible playoff spot already secured?

The Rodgers deal cost a lot, but the jury is very much still out on whether it was worth it.  For this year, no it obviously wasn't - but we'll see over the next couple of years whether or not it was worth it long-term. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Forgot not signing a backup qb 

Didn't put it there as I'm not sure what back up QB would have made a difference.  

The fans would have been more behind the team, there would have been less noise about the QB sucking and for his own good JD should have gotten rid of Zach - Zach had worn out his welcome here.--- bringing him back was absolutely a mistake, but I doubt it would have made much of a difference in W/L's.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, The Crusher said:

One more friend and you could have  each claimed an Aaron Rodgers play as your very own. Now stump gets two that greedy bastard. 

Waiting on those Jets NFTs for each Aaron Rodgers play. You can own a moment in Jets history. Only 4 of them will ever be made.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still grateful that AR8 agreed to take on the challenge of trying to win with this awful franchise.  And I love his stance on several off-the-field things (that I'm not allowed to discuss on here), including his comment on McAfee today (or at least is making the rounds today).  

On 12/22/2023 at 7:56 AM, rangerous said:

Good points.  The jets really needed some serious on field leadership and Rodgers brought a boatload.  And he still has the arm strength to make the throws.  As an added plus it gave the team time to keep helping Zach develop, which is something they didn’t do in his first two seasons.

An added plus ? The fact we bothered to play Wilson as long as we did gave us one thing a solid hold on laughing stock of the NFL . Lets hope Rodgers can play a full season next year and send the added plus to the street.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:49 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Bringing in Rodgers was the only move, as far as Douglas and Saleh were concerned.

The only way to win in this League is to have elite coaching or elite QB play. The Jets have the worst coaching staff in the League, so they pushed to bring in the best available QB. 

Acquiring Aaron Rodgers the player was the right move.  Acquiring Aaron Rodgers the GM was not

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

An added plus ? The fact we bothered to play Wilson as long as we did gave us one thing a solid hold on laughing stock of the NFL . Let’s hope Rodgers can play a full season next year and send the added plus to the street.

Wait until Wilson is starting games for us next yr

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:23 AM, bitonti said:

Wtf are you talking about? 

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

going all in preflop with aces and losing to someone who called with 9's and hit a 9 to crack you doesn't make the move wrong. sometimes sh*t happens. thats what he means

3 hours ago, neckdemon said:

going all in preflop with aces and losing to someone who called with 9's and hit a 9 to crack you doesn't make the move wrong. sometimes sh*t happens. thats what he means

Aaron rodgers isn't aces tho 

He's like kq off 

The guy used to be great in 22 it became clear he is washed 

On 12/21/2023 at 7:53 PM, Jdeet said:

I cannot believe everyone is now destroying the Aaron Rodgers trade. It makes no sense that Jets fans didn’t want a chance to win. And maybe win a lot. I guess those that wanted us to bring in Carr, Garoppolo, Minshew, or some other jag, think we could have been a competing playoff team? And what happens next year? Those guys are not good. 

As far as Aaron, there was always a risk that he would get hurt or lose a step, but he was our best option. Period. We didn’t have a chance to get Lamar Jackson. That was not ever happening. So, please stop with that. He was never leaving Baltimore. 

We needed to bring in a QB and we brought in a hall of fame QB coming off of 2 MVPs in the last 3 years. How is that a bad move for what turned out to be two 2nd round picks? In retrospect, yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly and yeah, we should have had a better backup option, but no backup was bringing this team to the playoffs. Our offensive line is so putrid that any QB would have been destroyed. 

I admit I didn’t like Aaron Rodgers, as a person or his personality, at all, before he came here. But he surprised me how much of a team guy he has become. How his players love him and he is a true leader. Yeah some say there is still a selfishness to his attempt to try and comeback quickly. But is that being selfish or is it his desire to help the team win games? Once we were eliminated from the playoffs, he stopped talking about coming back. 

Yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly. But this guy will be here for at least 2 more years. And no one else we could have acquired would actually give us a chance to be a special team, with the limitations of the talent on offense. Aaron Rodgers was able to work with basically one guy in Davante Adams, in Green Bay, and getting them to compete for the playoffs and their defense was nothing compared to ours. 

I suppose you can not like the person or his beliefs or his weirdness. He was always our best QB option. And still is. We just need to put more guys around him and pray he doesn’t get hurt. But isn’t that what every team hopes for with their star QB?

Our opinions are are close as two stars in different universes. I could NOT possibly disagree more with you. 

only the jets would do this -gave up way too much for a qb past his prime but it was brilliant for Joe(not the jets or the fans) as he bought himself two extra years by bringing in arod-we are seeing this right  now-Joe and his staff deserve to be fired for their record but because Arod is here no change was made for next year.  

• Post of the Week 1

Look fans have to be able to root for players esp their key guys like at QB. You have to have some respect for a player as a person. I think as a player signing AR was smart and the package they gave up was ok they didn't overpay. Nobody knew he'd get injured and a number of players are very productive at his age. So the idea of blaming the FO for signing an older player who then got injured doesn't hold up. But the more I hear about AR what he says and does hard for me to root for him. 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:53 PM, Jdeet said:

I cannot believe everyone is now destroying the Aaron Rodgers trade. It makes no sense that Jets fans didn’t want a chance to win. And maybe win a lot. I guess those that wanted us to bring in Carr, Garoppolo, Minshew, or some other jag, think we could have been a competing playoff team? And what happens next year? Those guys are not good. 

As far as Aaron, there was always a risk that he would get hurt or lose a step, but he was our best option. Period. We didn’t have a chance to get Lamar Jackson. That was not ever happening. So, please stop with that. He was never leaving Baltimore. 

We needed to bring in a QB and we brought in a hall of fame QB coming off of 2 MVPs in the last 3 years. How is that a bad move for what turned out to be two 2nd round picks? In retrospect, yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly and yeah, we should have had a better backup option, but no backup was bringing this team to the playoffs. Our offensive line is so putrid that any QB would have been destroyed. 

I admit I didn’t like Aaron Rodgers, as a person or his personality, at all, before he came here. But he surprised me how much of a team guy he has become. How his players love him and he is a true leader. Yeah some say there is still a selfishness to his attempt to try and comeback quickly. But is that being selfish or is it his desire to help the team win games? Once we were eliminated from the playoffs, he stopped talking about coming back. 

Yeah it sucks he got hurt so quickly. But this guy will be here for at least 2 more years. And no one else we could have acquired would actually give us a chance to be a special team, with the limitations of the talent on offense. Aaron Rodgers was able to work with basically one guy in Davante Adams, in Green Bay, and getting them to compete for the playoffs and their defense was nothing compared to ours. 

I suppose you can not like the person or his beliefs or his weirdness. He was always our best QB option. And still is. We just need to put more guys around him and pray he doesn’t get hurt. But isn’t that what every team hopes for with their star QB?

Yes it was right choice and still is

Not sure what you didnt like about her personality. He has always been a cool dude and good guy

I 100% was on the Derek Carr to NY train, and from a purely financial and resource perspective I still would be, even in hindsight.

The NY Jets are 6-10 and most likely 7-10 after Sunday.  That is with Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Siemian.

Derek Carr is better than those 3, and probably improve our record by a minimum of 3 games.

We probably be NE the first time.  We probably beat LV.  We probably beat the Charger to name a couple.

Of course we may have lost the Philly Game or whatever.

All that said, I am happy the decision was Aaron Rodgers based on what we are hearing about him from the New York Media and his Teammates.

I believe we are a force this year with a healthy Rodgers, and making a push for AFC Championship game if not super bowl.

41 minutes ago, hawk said:

I 100% was on the Derek Carr to NY train, and from a purely financial and resource perspective I still would be, even in hindsight.

The NY Jets are 6-10 and most likely 7-10 after Sunday.  That is with Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle, and Trevor Siemian.

Derek Carr is better than those 3, and probably improve our record by a minimum of 3 games.

We probably be NE the first time.  We probably beat LV.  We probably beat the Charger to name a couple.

Of course we may have lost the Philly Game or whatever.

All that said, I am happy the decision was Aaron Rodgers based on what we are hearing about him from the New York Media and his Teammates.

I believe we are a force this year with a healthy Rodgers, and making a push for AFC Championship game if not super bowl.

So shortsighted.  If we had signed Derek Carr and won those games, just imagine how sh*tty our draft position would be!

• Haha 1