Carter Warren

Maxman

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Do people just make up scouting reports based on the fact that Carter Warren was a fourth round draft pick? What exactly makes him a developmetal prospect? Did he start playing football late? Did he play another position before moving to tackle? Is he young for his position?

No, no, and no. He was a four year starter at Pitt. He was a late 2nd/3rd round graded prospect as a Junior and wanted to improve his draft status, so he came back for his senior year. He was playing very well, and a solid day two draft pick, before he got injured late in his season.

As a day 2-3 pick, you're only working on a four year deal. Missing year one of that severely limits your value for NFL GMs who need production on day one. They're worried about getting fired and drafting a redshirt OT coming off an injury isn't worth the risk. That's why he fell in the draft -- not because he was a project or needed any more development than any other rookie tackle.

He's also 24 years old. He's a grown man far older than most players who come in at 21. If you "hit" on this pick, you're only getting three years of production before having to pay a 28 year old free agent.

Carter Warren isn't a developmental prospect. He's a grown man, four year starter, who is now healthy and should compete for swing tackle or OT on the right side.

Stop labeling him as such when there's nothing to suggest that he meets the criteria of a "developmental prospect."

Just because he's 24 doesn't mean he can't further develop. 

From what I watched of his college tape, he had good feet and tools (long arms) but needed to get stronger and work on run blocking technique. Those are things YOU CAN develop in an NFL program over first couple years.

By your logic, there should be no chance for jermaine johnson to be playing the way he is, he was as old as Warren when drafted. He worked hard, developed his body, and is benefitting from a year under salehs system.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Bakthiari is beyond done medically 

He's missed the better part of the last 3 seasons. Best case he's like a Tyron Smith or terron armstead, very good when he plays but you never know when that is 

Worst case he should be retired like Duane Brown, Randall Cobb and Aaron 

I kind of think they’re going to try to bring in Bakhtiari - high ceiling low floor. It’ll sound appealing before we get details on the contract because they shouldn’t need to pay him much, but they'll end paying more than double what any other team would. Those that criticize will get chastised.

And conceptually if they have Bakhtiari, a starting caliber tackle in FA, Warren, and a draft pick who should walk into a starting job then it should be okay because they’ve got three starters and a swing tackle. Kind of build a group of three tackles as if he’s not there and have him to raise the ceiling a little on the off chance he stays healthy. But they’ll cut corners and it’ll end poorly.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, football guy said:

If I were building this line: 

LT: [FREE AGENT]  
LG: [DRAFT]
OC: Joe Tippmann
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker 
RT: [DRAFT] 

• Backup LT/RT: Carter Warren 
  • Backup LT/RT: [FREE AGENT] 
  • Backup C/G: Wes Schweitzer (or FA)
  • Backup G/T: Max Mitchell (or FA/Draft) 

This seems like a sensible, thoughtful approach. 

There would appear to be no reason that a 4th round pick who started 4 years at Pitt should not be able to play RT for the Jets.   My guess is that he fits the profile of most starting RTs.  What about Brandon Shell, for example?   Warren needs to hit the weight room and be ready to play next year.  

I predict that they likely BPA for the Jets when they pick will be another WR.  We need one.  So if Warren can play OL, and we can sign at last 2 FAs OL (if not 3 or 4) the offense could be much better.  

LT: Bakhtiari/Trent Brown/someone in FA

LG:  AVT

😄 Tippman

RG:  [DRAFT, FA]

RT: Warren, [DRAFT, FA]

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t care what silly ass grade PFF wants to assign.

Just judging from my own eyeballs he’s noticeably better than guys like Becton and Mitchell whenever he’s been on the field.

The people still hoping that the Jets retain Becton and that he regains those flashes of dominance from his rookie season are just dopey at this point.

The dude has been a thin-skinned, pain in the balls ever since then and his play has largely been sh*t at the times that he’s rarely been available.

Again…let the fat bitch walk, sign a starting caliber OT, draft another OT in the 1st round and do what it takes to obtain a Davante Adams/Tee Higgins/Mike Evans come March.

This sh*t isn’t rocket science

Sheet GIF

Yeah I mean, pretty much Nailed it. 

AVT goes back to LG and lets go

35 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

From what I watched of his college tape, he had good feet and tools (long arms) but needed to get stronger and work on run blocking technique. Those are things YOU CAN develop in an NFL program over first couple years.

By your logic, there should be no chance for jermaine johnson to be playing the way he is, he was as old as Warren when drafted. He worked hard, developed his body, and is benefitting from a year under salehs system.

players get stronger but they rarely get faster or more agility 

and after the age of 25 or 26 they rarely get any better at all

a guy like Tippmann has alot more of a runway than a guy like Warren 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

players get stronger but they rarely get faster or more agility 

and after the age of 25 or 26 they rarely get any better at all

a guy like Tippmann has alot more of a runway than a guy like Warren 

He won't physically continue to improve, maybe get a little stronger.  He can still greatly improve technique and knowledge.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Commanders D line is completely gutted 

They traded young and sweat this year and lost Payne during the game 

So even if Carter Warren had a good game it was against non starters 

But he has graded out well in games before this one.  He looks good, and continues to look good.  A good 4th round pick by the Jets.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Carter Warren should be the 3rd tackle at worst with an opportunity to compete with a veteran free agent like Bakhtiari or a rookie for a starting tackle spot. He can't be relied on as a starter though.

If I were building this line: 

LT: [FREE AGENT]  
LG: [DRAFT]
OC: Joe Tippmann
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker 
RT: [DRAFT] 

• Backup LT/RT: Carter Warren 
  • Backup LT/RT: [FREE AGENT] 
  • Backup C/G: Wes Schweitzer (or FA)
  • Backup G/T: Max Mitchell (or FA/Draft) 

You can't possibly go in with a 41 year old Rodgers counting on two rookie's starting on the OL...

I mean, it sounds right up Joe Douglas's alley - but it would be an insane gamble.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

What really sucks in all of this is we will probably have to pass on good players because of such desperate need.

we could pass on some of the best players in their position while we take the 3rd best T

Thank you Joe Douglas thank you.

Opportunity cost. 

Zach and Becton being on this team for 3 years, that alone cost us opportunities to have those two positions solidified going into this draft. Right now the Jets could have a kickass O-line, and they could clean up in this draft on the skill positions. Because those guys failed, that cost us and will continue to cost us. It really makes me sick that the someone like Jayden Daniels or Bo Nix (2nd round) or Penix (2nd round) are still on the board when the Jets pick or they can't get them because they pissed away the 2nd round pick to Green Bay for Rasputin Rodgers. It just makes me sick.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You can't possibly go in with a 41 year old Rodgers counting on two rookie's starting on the OL...

I mean, it sounds right up Joe Douglas's alley - but it would be an insane gamble.

40*. It’s also not new to Rodgers. In 2021 he had C Myers and RG Newman as season long rookie starters. Someone mentioned how the Seahawks did it in 2022 as well, and look how that faired for them; they now have among the best OLs in the league. 

The reason why I favor mixing in rookie starters over veterans is because they’re cheaper and tend to be more durable. Offensive lineman who hit the open market are overpaid and come with a lot of flaws, most notably injury history. If the draft doesn’t fall your way, you should still be able to find a guy prior to the season who can be a stable presence at guard. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Opportunity cost. 

Zach and Becton being on this team for 3 years, that alone cost us opportunities to have those two positions solidified going into this draft. Right now the Jets could have a kickass O-line, and they could clean up in this draft on the skill positions. Because those guys failed, that cost us and will continue to cost us. It really makes me sick that the someone like Jayden Daniels or Bo Nix (2nd round) or Penix (2nd round) are still on the board when the Jets pick or they can't get them because they pissed away the 2nd round pick to Green Bay for Rasputin Rodgers. It just makes me sick.

I really like Nabers, Bowers, Daniels, and Nix and sad thing is we will be lucky to get 3rd best T and play him as RT

Warren has looked pretty good to me.

Missed a lot of his senior year, and was very limited in camp this season too.

Once he was healthy and got game time, he has been fairly solid.

I think he can compete for the starting job at RT next year and, at worst, provide nice depth as a swing tackle.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Just judging from my own eyeballs he’s noticeably better than guys like Becton and Mitchell whenever he’s been on the field.

The people still hoping that the Jets retain Becton and that he regains those flashes of dominance from his rookie season are just dopey at this point.

The dude has been a thin-skinned, pain in the balls ever since then and his play has largely been sh*t at the times that he’s rarely been available.

Again…let the fat bitch walk, sign a starting caliber OT, draft another OT in the 1st round and do what it takes to obtain a Davante Adams/Tee Higgins/Mike Evans come March.

Good post, agree with all of it.

I wanted Becton to bounce back and all he's done is manage to stay on the field, which is a plus, but that won't cut it, not for the #6 overall pick, not for a franchise LT. The dude looks and has the physical attributes of an upper echelon OT, but he plays and is mentally soft. He lacks the "it" factor and his passion for football just isn't there.

Carter is a player who has potential, can be a starter, but probably needs another development year.

Draft and sign an OT as stated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ron Rico said:

I wish I had your optimism but JD is going to royally **** this up. 

I’m not optimistic, just saying what I would do given the cards we’ve been dealt. If you ask me, overpaying another FA guard doesn’t make sense. I would rather draft a guy in round 2-3 (Cooper Bebee? Graham Barton?) and have them compete for a starting job. Assuming the rookie were to win, you cut Tomlinson (if they don’t prior to camp) and let Mitchell or someone else be the primary backup 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Good post, agree with all of it.

I wanted Becton to bounce back and all he's done is manage to stay on the field, which is a plus, but that won't cut it, not for the #6 overall pick, not for a franchise LT. The dude looks and has the physical attributes of an upper echelon OT, but he plays and is mentally soft. He lacks the "it" factor and his passion for football just isn't there.

Carter is a player who has potential, can be a starter, but probably needs another development year.

Draft and sign an OT as stated.

Not that it changes your narrative but Becton was picked #11 overall not 6.

We need to first agree on the definition of “developmental player.” I’ve outlined my definition — and Carter Warren meets none of them.

Using your logic, every player ever drafted is developmental. And if every player is being defined as such, using the term offers zero value to any discussion.

Words have meaning for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

On 12/26/2023 at 8:35 PM, Untouchable said:

easier said than done....first the fst narrative is old, he lost the weight people bitched at him for.

we can draft a starting OT,,,but who's to say the rook will be good? some of you people were clanging the gongs for Becky when I told everyone he was a bad chice.

who said that there is/will be a top caliber OT available as a free agent this year? dont all 32 teams need one of those? 

Devante is a dream, we dont have the draft capital, Evans would retire before coming here and MAYBE we make a decent offer that Tampa will match for Tee Higgins and he will make more by paying less taxes in FL. 

It aint rocket science but it aint checkers either brother. 

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I feel like I remember hearing he was a day 2 prospect until the injury.  If that's the case then you'd think the "experts" (in quotes because they get plenty wrong) think more highly of him than you do.  Then again, you almost always hear lines like "this guy could've been a day 2 pick" for guys taken in later rounds.  

Side note: I think I remember hearing that Max Mitchell had excellent feet.  It's too bad we can't combine the 2!

Truth 

Max Mitchell has quick feet and few other attributes. Poor balance short arms etc 

I actually just watched the all 22 of the commanders game and Warren was messy especially in the run game. Carter Warren runs in space like he has a full diaper 

He's getting beat on blocks and Jake hanson is just as bad 

Becton had a couple of bad penalties but he's rounded out into a half decent player. He was essential to the long hall td 

Tippy is pure potential and good pulling and on screens incredibly nimble but also prone to penalties and that high snap 

Tomlinson is incredibly overpaid I just don't understand what jd saw in this player. He's very close to being done 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Truth 

Max Mitchell has quick feet and few other attributes. Poor balance short arms etc 

I actually just watched the all 22 of the commanders game and Warren was messy especially in the run game. Carter Warren runs in space like he has a full diaper 

He's getting beat on blocks and Jake hanson is just as bad 

Becton had a couple of bad penalties but he's rounded out into a half decent player. He was essential to the long hall td 

Tippy is pure potential and good pulling and on screens incredibly nimble but also prone to penalties and that high snap 

Tomlinson is incredibly overpaid I just don't understand what jd saw in this player. He's very close to being done 

I went back to watch the all 22 from Miami - started anyway -  only got through the 1st few series but that is where the game was lost.  Watching Tippy i was disappointed to say the least since we counting on him for future.  I also notice a lot of confusion.  I plan to watch a few more because I am curious how much of this is bad calls/coaching vs bad play.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Watching Tippy i was disappointed to say the least since we counting on him for future.

Tipp-y is young and probably doesn't know everything a starting center should know. He looked good physically at guard too, earlier in the year 

that guy is gonna be a player. The rest of the line is really a huge question. AVT included 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Tipp-y is young and probably doesn't know everything a starting center should know. He looked good physically at guard too, earlier in the year 

that guy is gonna be a player. The rest of the line is really a huge question. AVT included 

As center you need to have your head on swivel.  I am going to watch more but on the sack he was looking wrong way blocking no one and guy ran right by him. I going to watch more but I do wonder maybe he more suited for G

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

As center you need to have your head on swivel.  I am going to watch more but on the sack he was looking wrong way blocking no one and guy ran right by him. I going to watch more but I do wonder maybe he more suited for G

I think they always knew he was a great athlete but raw and that's why they resigned McG and picked up Wes 

he's 21 he's got alot of time to learn what he needs to learn to be C but if he's just a pro bowl g that's OK too 

shoot with his physical attributes he might even be an emergency RT 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think they always knew he was a great athlete but raw and that's why they resigned McG and picked up Wes 

he's 21 he's got alot of time to learn what he needs to learn to be C but if he's just a pro bowl g that's OK too 

shoot with his physical attributes he might even be an emergency RT 

pro bowl? - let just start with not being liability and go from there.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, bitonti said:

if the entire front office and fan base can pretend the Jets are only a QB away from a SB i can pretend Tipp-y is a pro bowler in the making

I never pretended that.  I was all for AR tho given the choices.  Not that I thought we would win superbowl but was hoping to actually see some real football regardless of outcome....fun to watch.

When was the last time we drafted a developmental OL that actually developed.  Mitchell was not better this year than last - maybe the blood clot issue impacted his strength this year, but he looked more promising last season. Cameron Clark was another mid round pick derailed by injury.  Chuma Edoga was the same guy for all three seasons he was a Jet.  Becton, while not a mid round guy was a better player as an overweight and out of shape rookie than he was this year. 

Hopefully Warren/Mitchell will develop some and be better next season, but our recent history developing OLs does not leave me with much optimism.

• Upvote 1

Sine I harp about the oline every single year I'll do it again.

AVT, Tippman are the only two potentially rally good guys we have and of course we know AVTs injury history.

Warren and mitchell are still in developmental/backup mode for me.

McGovern might get paid elsewhere but would be nice to keep him as a backup guard/centre

Becton and Thomlinson should be gone

We should attempt tow sign two FA olinean (yes i know not easy) and use our first rounder on the best tackle we can get.

So:

FA guard targets:  Andrus Peat,  Kevin Zeitler

FA tackle targets:  Tyron Smith, Trent Brown

Draft:  Fahsanu, Alt, (Fuaga, Latham, Mims)

• Sympathy 1

I was really high on Becton but what happened to him this year didn't seem possible. He stayed healthy and didn't play well.
Douglas dodged a bullet by passing on his 5th year option. He won't be back, he can't be back.
He has so many mental errors, I said on Sunday he seems like he should just get as big as he wants and play guard. Not here though.

Becton should move to LG. He can’t pass block as a tackle but can run block and probably handle interior DL. He probably won’t want to move though.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app