Russell Wilson Benched

JetsFanatic

Just now, rex-n-effect said:

Wilson hasn't been great either year in Denver but he was notably better this year than last. If Denver had kept Hackett after the 5-12 season, can we say Denver would end up much different in 2023 with Hackett versus Payton? As it stands they will end with seven to nine wins with Payton. Hackett was a terrible head coach, but for Payton's reputation and mouth earlier in the season, it doesn't seem like he brought all that much to the table over Hackett, who was also a first year head coach in 2022.

Albright has been hinting that Payton is not long for that job since mid-season

19 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why was Russ playing vs the Patriots last Sunday night? Because they had a decent shot at the playoffs if they won. They lose and are pretty much eliminated from making the playoffs, which is why they benched Russ. Not gonna risk him getting hurt with no realistic shot at the playoffs. Should be fairly easy to understand.

He's not disagreeing. He's saying that playing him these past weeks was no different than playing him all season long, in effect. Once eliminated, with a healthy Wilson, there was no reason to risk locking into him for another season at that money.

It's not giving them what they believe is their best shot to win. Even still, it's not overtly tanking either, in the sense that they're not trying to lose the last two games so much as not get Wilson injured (whether they win or lose one or both or neither of the remaining games).

They're benching this one player - yes the most key player at the most key position - but they're not benching all their starters in an overt endeavor to try to lose the last two games. If they benched everybody then they're tanking: trying to lose to gain higher draft picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why was Russ playing vs the Patriots last Sunday night? Because they had a decent shot at the playoffs if they won. They lose and are pretty much eliminated from making the playoffs, which is why they benched Russ. Not gonna risk him getting hurt with no realistic shot at the playoffs. Should be fairly easy to understand.

No disagreement, but if he didn't have that injury guaranty on top of his present guaranty they'd likely start him.  He's just not worth risking the additional 34 MM.  (This from a Denver reporter, BTW)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's not disagreeing. He's saying that playing him these past weeks was no different than playing him all season long, in effect. Once eliminated, with a healthy Wilson, there was no reason to risk locking into him for another season at that money.

It's not giving them what they believe is their best shot to win. Even still, it's not overtly tanking either, in the sense that they're not trying to lose the last two games so much as not get Wilson injured (whether they win or lose one or both or neither of the remaining games).

They're benching this one player - yes the most key player at the most key position - but they're not benching all their starters in an overt endeavor to try to lose the last two games. If they benched everybody then they're tanking: trying to lose to gain higher draft picks.

I wonder what the league office thinks of stuff like "not giving them what they believe is their best shot to win".  I totally get what you're saying about it not being about trying to lose games (but rather to not get Russ injured) but, in a sense, that's still tanking on some level, no?

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Wow

i get sitting him

I believe it has to be tied to injury.  I mean if he does a physical and it turns out he has some serious illness unrelated to the game, I don't think he'd be getting extra money.  Just a guess on my part.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wonder what the league office thinks of stuff like "not giving them what they believe is their best shot to win".  I totally get what you're saying about it not being about trying to lose games (but rather to not get Russ injured) but, in a sense, that's still tanking on some level, no?

It's not the same. Teams bench healthy starters all the time for multiple reasons; this is just one of them.

The Dungy Colts used to bench their starters for a couple games - at their own peril, it turns out - after doing too well over the first 13-14 games, where they were risking injury to starters for meaningless games over the last 2-3 weeks. It's a practice Caldwell continued into 2009. A week after they blew the 2nd half (of a meaningless game for them) against us, the Bengals did the same thing to us. We ended up being the team that bounced both from the playoffs that postseason.

They weren't giving themselves the best chance to win those games, but likewise weren't necessarily taking. OK maybe the Bengals were, in that they were strategizing to play us the next week, but it was - in its planning - to help their team that season, not hurt it just for draft position the following season.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They traded a lot to get him.  And he turned them around this year after an awful start.

Yeah, I find it unlikely, but Allbright is usually pretty plugged in with the Broncos. Remember that the new owner wanted Harbaugh bad enough to fly to Ann Arbor after interviewing Payton

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Albright has been hinting that Payton is not long for that job since mid-season

I’d be curious to know what Albright has in mind? 

Denver gave up a lot for him and he’s had a solid first year, all things considered. 

is he suggesting that Payton wants out? 

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

It is pathetic. If anything this shows all franchises make mistakes. Can you imagine if the Jets gave up 2 defensive TDs in 7 seconds like the Chiefs did? 

After winning 2 superbowls in a few years.. having a "down" season of winning their division and having to face the horror of giving up two defensive TDs in 7 seconds..

Nope, can't imagine it for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

After winning 2 superbowls in a few years.. having a "down" season of winning their division and having to face the horror of giving up two defensive TDs in 7 seconds..

Nope, can't imagine it for the Jets.

That’s not the point we act like the Jets are only team that does crazy things. The Jets don’t even have the most embarrassing play on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys do.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

That’s not the point we act like the Jets are only team that does crazy things. The Jets don’t even have the most embarrassing play on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys do.

It's not the point you wanted to make, but it's the point that is reality. The jets have been the most futile team in sports. Consistency is very important and the Chiefs don't consistently do those things.. the Jets do.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Wilson hasn't been great either year in Denver but he was notably better this year than last. If Denver had kept Hackett after the 5-12 season, can we say Denver would end up much different in 2023 with Hackett versus Payton? As it stands they will end with seven to nine wins with Payton. Hackett was a terrible head coach, but for Payton's reputation and mouth earlier in the season, it doesn't seem like he brought all that much to the table over Hackett, who was also a first year head coach in 2022.

Yup. He had a great QB in Brees. Payton forgot that and thought he could make anyone a HoFer. Oops. Coaches get overrated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Stidham has 9 lives, he is awful but he must be a good practice Squad QB to impress.

How bad is Stidham?

He is this bad.....

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/highlight-jamal-adams-pick-6-vs-new-england

I actually wanted to keep Stidham as the Raiders backup.   He played pretty well the last couple of games when the Raiders benched Carr ( didn’t want Carr to get injured Ala Russell Wilson) .     You keep Stidham in the pocket and your chance of winning goes up dramatically.     If Raiders can win the last two - on the road against Colts , and against the Denver at home . They have 60% chance of making the playoffs.

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

This is how you tank out the rest of your season knowing the playoffs aren't likely. Russell Wilson is finished in Denver. I see Denver trading a draft pick to someone to take him off their salary cap à la Brock Osweiler, or designate him to be cut post June-1st next off-season.

They can't cut him - he's too early in his new contract, and the cap hit over the next two years would be gargantuan, IIRC. But there may be something to a trade rumor, as the reason for not playing him would be to insure that any injury guarantee clauses don't kick in and really leave them on a hook.

5 hours ago, football guy said:

If Zach is traded, he'll probably wind up in Denver. Sean Payton is a fan

I could see Payton wanting him. Idk what he's worth in a trade at this point but it's a good roll of the dice in a dead cap year for them. Bottom our in a year you can't afford to field a team to see if there is any thing there. If there isn't, you earn a top pick in 2025.

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

They can't cut him - he's too early in his new contract, and the cap hit over the next two years would be gargantuan, IIRC. But there may be something to a trade rumor, as the reason for not playing him would be to insure that any injury guarantee clauses don't kick in and really leave them on a hook.

They can designate him a June 1st Cut. They'd need to clear about $25m to make it work but there are a good amount of contracts they can nuke.

Screenshot_20231227_192626_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1