What Should the Bears do with the #1 pick?

What should the Bears do with the #1 pick and Fields?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Bears do with the #1 pick and Fields?

• Draft their favorite QB and trade Fields
    • Trade the pick for a haul and build around Fields

It'd be interesting if they could turn 1 and 10 into 3 and 4 and get Harrison and QB3 (Daniels?). Good QB and best non-QB. Could jump start them similarly to what Stroud and Anderson did for the Texans.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Do dyar or dvoa take into account QB rushing? It's not clear to me if they do. Traditional QB rating stats do not.

The Bears might be able to take MHJ at 1 and Penix at 10.

DVOA/DYAR and ANY/A are just passing. EPA/play and this version of Success Rate include rushing. Fields is 6th and 7th among QBs in rushing DYAR and rushing DVOA, respectively.

• Upvote 3

They will draft a QB, keep Fields as an insurance and depending on the rookie progress, dealt before the trade deadline. 

The Jets should try to haul for the #1 pick and draft a QB, but it will never happen. 

A very close vote, so far! 

I say this as a guy who wanted to draft Fields instead of Zach Wilson:

In addition to the meh passing numbers, one thing that would worry me about fields is that he’s missed 11 starts in 3 years.

IMO, It will be hard to pass on the top QB prospects in this draft AND forgo resetting the rookie QB salary window, but I am very curious to see how they handle it. 

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Trade down anywhere from 2-5 and grab Marvin Harrison Jr

Redskins need a QB

Pats need a QB

Arizona needs QB 

Giants need a QB.

Was just going to post this, I would do the same. MHJ plus another 1st round pick this year and another in 2024. Go offense with each of those picks and see if Fields and rest of the weaponz can get you to the SB. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

if washington is okay with either QB then they won't trade up.  But if they have their eye on one, then definitely trade up so that they get their guy.

the wild card is NE or ARI.  if they want a QB they need to make the trade.  Even if they know Chicago wants the WR.

Question is what does Chicago get to drop down to 3.  Can they get a 2nd this year and a first next year.  my guess is yes definitely.

If I'm the bears GM, I'm not committing to Fields publicly. I'm putting it out there that I want a new QB. Try to drive up the price and not let teams know that I want MHJ. That's the only real shot that they have of the #2/3/4 teams giving them anything worthwile to move up for a QB. Otherwise, there's a scenario in which Washington or NE move up by only swapping picks this year and throwing in another pick or two, and then turn around and flip the #1 overall for a bigger haul to someone who wants to come up for MHJ. 

10 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Was just going to post this, I would do the same. MHJ plus another 1st round pick this year and another in 2024. Go offense with each of those picks and see if Fields and rest of the weaponz can get you to the SB. 

who has 2 first round picks this year to trade?  this makes no sense

• Haha 1

Take the QB you covet and let Fields walk. Especially in a draft with such generational talents (again). This is the same conversations we had for a long time about Darnold. Yes... it could be worse (like it was for the Jets and Zach Wilson), but it's clear at this point that Justin Fields is not a consistent winner at the NFL level. He has great flashes but when the guy starts for you for years and the team is consistently picking in the top 5-10 and even secured the #1 pick last year... he's not it. And that's definitely not the guy you commit to with an extension and tie your career to. The idea of picking up another 2-3 first-round picks is very enticing though. People are going to be tripping over themselves to try and get Caleb Williams.

This is the dilemma facing teams that draft QBs in the first round.  They cost too much to simply sit on the bench and watch for a season or two but that’s exactly what they need.  And that’s also a good reason to draft QBs in later rounds and have them sit behind a decent vet.  Of course, as the jets found out with mccown, a decent vet is hard to find and any good one is going to want to be starter for more than a season.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Having the first overall pick in back to back years and passing on a QB both times because you have Justin Fields on your roster is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it’s exactly what the Bears are going to do.

Which qb prospect is better than Fields?

4 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I would try and trade the pick to whoever is at the 3 spot, assuming they need a QB. Get the picks. Draft MHJ at 3. 

Draft a QB with second pick. Trade Fields for anything. Profit. 

Rumor is J Fields to the Raiders for a third.    I wouldn’t want Fields because he a poor thrower.   The NFL is a passing league , and you need a Qb that can throw the football constantly on target .       

16 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Rumor is J Fields to the Raiders for a third.    I wouldn’t want Fields because he a poor thrower.   The NFL is a passing league , and you need a Qb that can throw the football constantly on target .       

They will get more than a 3rd rounder if they go that route.

Do your due diligence to see what you could get back for Fields.  Assuming it’s not an absolute haul I’d keep him.  Draft MHJ # 1.  Grab a QB in the middle rounds as a hedge.  

Drafting a QB # 1 just to draft one isn’t always the most viable option.  I get that they could have had Stroud last year but….still.  And MHJ seems to be incredibly special.  Is Caleb Williams in that ballpark as a prospect?  I dunno….

• Upvote 1

The Bears have two first round picks, 1 and 10. They have no second round pick.

They can absolutely clean up by trading that first pick. So If I'm the GM, I am not drafting a QB. I have one. I traded the pick last year and averted drafting a bust (assuming they would have taken Bryce Young). I roll the dice again. If the Pats are serious about trading up for a QB to take twinkle toes Caleb Williams, I switch spots and take MHJ. If Washington takes MHJ, I take Joe Alt. With the tenth pick, I get TE Brock Bowers, and with the 2nd round pick I got from the Pats I draft Bo Nix. 

The Bears are not a QB away from the SB, and no rookie QB is going to make or break them. Keep Fields another year, get Bo Nix in the 2nd round, and shoot for the whole shebang in 2025.

• Upvote 1

The idea of having multiple 1st and 2nd rd draft picks for the next 3 years is very appealing… I feel like any arm chair GM would be able to build a super team. Fields seems capable enough I’d build the all star team around him. 

19 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Kind of hindsight, no? 

Levis, too (at a different level, but the point remains). 

No such thing as hindsight for an NFL GM. Knowing that C.J. Stroud is going to be good is literally his job.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Do what the fuxking goddamn Jets should gave done and build around a talented guy at QB that needs a bit of time and more support but has shown plenty of skill and balls to stick with. 

The other route gets you an empty cupboard and another kid trying to figure sh*t out.... or Wilson.

Washington supposedly badly wants Caleb.  They might pick 1.02.  Trade down with them to get a haul.  Then trade down a 2nd time and get a 2nd haul.  The Bears currently pick 1.10 anyway.  They can just load up with players and picks plus trade other picks for future picks so they'll be loaded up for the next 1-2 drafts, while still getting several really good players.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Keep Fields, take MHJ (because neither Washington or NE are going to trade up knowing that Bears want MHJ and Bears can't afford to go below 3). Stay put at #10 and take Wiggins or Turner or Jenkins to bolster the defense. That team is close to being real good and this draft can push them to the playoffs. 

Except they need a QB. Fields passing stats have been pretty awful - worse than Zach awful for much of his career. If it wasn't for his running ability he may have been the worst QB. I can't possibly give up a QB with a much higher ceiling (provided I feel that way after evaluating them all). They won't have a better chance than this to find a franchise QB. You can probably get a 2nd rounder to add to your haul and build around the rookie QB and reset the QB clock. 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

For 2024 draft?  How's that possible?

IMG_9024.thumb.jpeg.ba9f9f0de212f344737d88d146e40ac5.jpeg

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Having the first overall pick in back to back years and passing on a QB both times because you have Justin Fields on your roster is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it’s exactly what the Bears are going to do.

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

DVOA/DYAR and ANY/A are just passing. EPA/play and this version of Success Rate include rushing. Fields is 6th and 7th among QBs in rushing DYAR and rushing DVOA, respectively.

So many stats, I have no idea what most mean … overall running and passing where does he stand