A Look at Jets Early Options With 10th Pick in NFL Draft

Keon-Coleman.jpg

By beating the New England Patriots in their week 17 matchup in a game that has already been forgotten by millions, the New York Jets will find themselves with tenth pick in the NFL draft.  With their most glaring needs being at offensive tackle and a pass catcher to compliment Garrett Wilson, we take a look at some possibilities should the Jets stand pat with their current pick.

Of course a trade down is the optimal choice as the team lacks draft picks and should be looking to add as much capital as possible.  However, with the top two passers in the class likely going to the Bears and Patriots, finding a partner to give up a bounty of picks to move up to ten is highly unlikely.  So where should the Jets be looking?

TE Brock Bowers, Georgia: Fans who are unfamiliar with what Bowers brings to the table won’t like the idea of Bowers.  But for those who have been tracking him in college over the past few seasons, he would make perfect sense.  Forget the fact that he’s listed as a tight end and look at what he brings.  As an elite pass catcher who can win inside or outside while offering borderline offensive lineman caliber blocking, Bowers would be just what the Jets need.  He would give Gang Green a legitimate pass catcher to pair with Garrett Wilson while also improving the team’s blocking up front.

The @nyjets better pray to the football gods that Brock Bowers falls to them on draft day. I personally don't see it happening, but some have said he may be in the 9-12 range. pic.twitter.com/iLDlXQLybC

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) December 25, 2023

OT JC Latham, Alabama: With the tenth pick the Jets are also out of the running for the two best tackles in the class in Notre Dame’s Joe Alt and Penn State’s Olu Fashanu who many project as top six picks in the NFL draft.  This would mean Latham is in play but you have to wonder if Joe Douglas would be scared off by another 360 pound lineman after the team’s luck with Mekhi Becton.

WR Rome Odunze, Washington: Ask enough draft prognosticators and you’re bound to hear several different names for the second best receiver in this class.  Marvin Harrison Jr. is the clear number 1 but Odunze will come up on some lists as the next best receiver in the group.  A big target at 6′ 3” 215, Odunze runs like a much smaller receiver and makes big plays after the catch.  Would give the Jets a high end receiver opposite Garrett Wilson and currently projected to the Jets by SI.com.

WR Keon Coleman, Florida State: Another electric receiver who flashes great hands and run after catch ability.  Coleman played just one season at Florida State before transferring to FSU and all he did was find the end zone eleven times on 50 receptions and 658 yards.

OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State: The Oregon State product is currently projected as a mid first-rounder which would make him a bit of reach at 10, but don’t be surprised if he ends up in the conversation as a top 10 pick in the coming months.

If the @nyjets end up trading down in the first round, they should make sure they don't drop too far to lose out on a shot at @beaverfootball OT Taliese Fuaga. Nasty tone setter in the trenches. pic.twitter.com/NigKDnaAwx

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) December 8, 2023

Fuaga is a nasty tone-setter in the run game and does a better job in pass pro than many seem to realized.  A solid tackle in a deep class, Fuaga is one of several tackles the Jets should show interest when the NFL draft rolls around.

The post A Look at Jets Early Options With 10th Pick in NFL Draft appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

If the Jets feel that Taliese Fuego is able to play left tackle that I think he is certainly the pick, regardless of what we do in free agency and whoever else is on the board.

If they think he can only play right tackle, then I still think there's a good chance he's selected but will depend on what we did in free agency and who is on the board.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We may just draft a QB at 10. Underrated possibility IMO.

So if the current staff gets fired, the next coaching staff gets their qb forced onto them. Good way to scare away coaching candidates.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You trade down as far as possible. After Fashuna and Alt, there's a bunch of Tackles with the same skill set, and possibly with more upside. Morgan. Taylor Guyton. The tackle from BYU, Kingsley Suamatuia.  With more picks, and hopefully a sign and trade with Huff, we could grab two tackles, and a stud slot receiver. Ladd McCkonky perhaps. There are two or three others. All in the 2nd and 3rd round range.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

So if the current staff gets fired, the next coaching staff gets their qb forced onto them. Good way to scare away coaching candidates.

You think coaches would be turned off because the team has a highly drafted QB that got a red shirt year under Aaron Rodgers? Seems like a selling point but to me.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You think coaches would be turned off because the team has a highly drafted QB that got a red shirt year under Aaron Rodgers? Seems like a selling point but to me.

I think most staffs would much rather hand pick their own guy.

6 minutes ago, genot said:

You trade down as far as possible. After Fashuna and Alt, there's a bunch of Tackles with the same skill set, and possibly with more upside. Morgan. Taylor Guyton. The tackle from BYU, Kingsley Suamatuia.  With more picks, and hopefully a sign and trade with Huff, we could grab two tackles, and a stud slot receiver. Ladd McCkonky perhaps. There are two or three others. All in the 2nd and 3rd round range.

yea if we're taking a RT in the first I'd much rather it be a trade down from 10 and recoup that 2nd.

• Upvote 3

I don't know why people are so down on JC Latham. I am leaning towards Latham or Bowers as the pick. Followed by Fuaga. BTW- neither Fuaga nor Latham are LT's BUT Latham probably has a better shot to eventually develop into a LT, IMO. But if the Jets really want a LT, they should just draft Mims and be confident that they can develop him.  

HOWEVER. 

There is a chance Alt still falls to us. 

CHI-Williams

WAS- Maye

CHI and WAS get their Franchise signal callers. 

NE- MHJ (Ironically, THIS is why the Jets get a shot at ALT. Or at least one possibility. The Pats cannot pass on the top prospect in the draft for Daniels, IMO and they take MHJ).  

ARI- Nabers (I just don't see the Cardinals taking a OT with Humphries and Paris Johnson. I don't see them taking the 3rd QB, I don't see them taking an Edge - although they could. Nabers is the closest WR to MHJ in this class and they need one badly.)

LAC- Here is where is gets tricky. The Chargers COULD take Fashanu. That would be bad. But they have so many holes. They could also take the BEST Pass Rusher in the draft, which is also a major need. I think there is a VERY good chance they take a guy like Latu. After all, Fashanu is a LT and they have one in Slater. They would really be drafting a RT, which does not make sense this early.  

NYG- Here is another tricky one. If Daniels is sitting here. Do the Giants take Daniels and sit him behind Danny Dimes - who is coming off a bad injury and looks to be a bad investment after very average play last year? Or do they go all in with Danny Dimes and draft help for him? Honestly, the smart move would be to draft Daniels, IMO. But who knows. IF they take Daniels, Fashanu and Alt are still on the board. 

Tenn- There is NO WAY Tenn passes on Fashanu. So he is gone. 

ATL- Atlanta doesn't really need an OT. They have bigger needs. With o top QB on the board and only one defender having gone, I could see them going defense. I could see them taking an Edge (Chop, Turner, Verse). OR this would be a good spot for Newton, who many say is the best defender in this class. I would not be shocked to see Kool-Aid come off the board to the Falcons. They have a big need at CB. 

CHI- Another team that does not really need an OT. The Bears need a WR. Odunze makes a ton of sense. After MHJ, Nabers and Odunze there is probably a bit of a drop off in talent at the WR position. It would make sense for the Bears to take him here. 

NYJ- Alt falls to the Jets. Miraculously. But with all teams ahead of them taking the guys they want. And if Alt is gone. Well, Bowers is a nice concelation prize.    

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Keon-Coleman.jpg

By beating the New England Patriots in their week 17 matchup in a game that has already been forgotten by millions, the New York Jets will find themselves with tenth pick in the NFL draft.  With their most glaring needs being at offensive tackle and a pass catcher to compliment Garrett Wilson, we take a look at some possibilities should the Jets stand pat with their current pick.

Of course a trade down is the optimal choice as the team lacks draft picks and should be looking to add as much capital as possible.  However, with the top two passers in the class likely going to the Bears and Patriots, finding a partner to give up a bounty of picks to move up to ten is highly unlikely.  So where should the Jets be looking?

TE Brock Bowers, Georgia: Fans who are unfamiliar with what Bowers brings to the table won’t like the idea of Bowers.  But for those who have been tracking him in college over the past few seasons, he would make perfect sense.  Forget the fact that he’s listed as a tight end and look at what he brings.  As an elite pass catcher who can win inside or outside while offering borderline offensive lineman caliber blocking, Bowers would be just what the Jets need.  He would give Gang Green a legitimate pass catcher to pair with Garrett Wilson while also improving the team’s blocking up front.

The @nyjets better pray to the football gods that Brock Bowers falls to them on draft day. I personally don't see it happening, but some have said he may be in the 9-12 range. pic.twitter.com/iLDlXQLybC

— Glenn Naughton (@JNRadio_Glenn) December 25, 2023

OT JC Latham, Alabama: With the tenth pick the Jets are also out of the running for the two best tackles in the class in Notre Dame’s Joe Alt and Penn State’s Olu Fashanu who many project as top six picks in the NFL draft.  This would mean Latham is in play but you have to wonder if Joe Douglas would be scared off by another 360 pound lineman after the team’s luck with Mekhi Becton.

WR Rome Odunze, Washington: Ask enough draft prognosticators and you’re bound to hear several different names for the second best receiver in this class.  Marvin Harrison Jr. is the clear number 1 but Odunze will come up on some lists as the next best receiver in the group.  A big target at 6′ 3” 215, Odunze runs like a much smaller receiver and makes big plays after the catch.  Would give the Jets a high end receiver opposite Garrett Wilson and currently projected to the Jets by SI.com.

WR Keon Coleman, Florida State: Another electric receiver who flashes great hands and run after catch ability.  Coleman played just one season at Florida State before transferring to FSU and all he did was find the end zone eleven times on 50 receptions and 658 yards.

OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State: The Oregon State product is currently projected as a mid first-rounder which would make him a bit of reach at 10, but don’t be surprised if he ends up in the conversation as a top 10 pick in the coming months.

If the @nyjets end up trading down in the first round, they should make sure they don't drop too far to lose out on a shot at @beaverfootball OT Taliese Fuaga. Nasty tone setter in the trenches. pic.twitter.com/NigKDnaAwx

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) December 8, 2023

Fuaga is a nasty tone-setter in the run game and does a better job in pass pro than many seem to realized.  A solid tackle in a deep class, Fuaga is one of several tackles the Jets should show interest when the NFL draft rolls around.

The post A Look at Jets Early Options With 10th Pick in NFL Draft appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

QB is definitely on the table Rodgers or not. If QB is BPA you take him and hope he can sit for 2 years behind Rodgers

• Haha 1

Don't rule out Amarius Mimms (UGA).  He's going to be a successful right tackle in the NFL:  700 snaps at an elite program, against top flight competition:  0 QB hits and 0 QB sacks allowed.  He played a couple of games hurt this year.  There was also a notable drop-off in the UGA run game when he was out. 

• Upvote 2

A little to early to tell who's going when, but as usual the Jets might just have landed in no mans land, at least in terms of what are IMO the elite players in this draft.  My only hope is that either Daniels falls and the Jets do the right thing because 1 of the damn near lock HOF'ers, Harrison Jr. will be gone and I really dont think Bowers will be on the board when the Jets picks either.

Dont worry, there are some sexy defensive lineman that should be available.  Maybe even a player maker in the secondary but dont get too excited.  Lots of time before the Jets on the board.

• Haha 1

The fall of from the top two tackles to 3rd and beyond is huge.  Jets would have had one of the top two if they had not gotten the big morale win as I believe they would have been picking 6.

We are going to be picking a late 1st round developmental OT prospect at #10 instead of a day one starter.

The odds of Bowers paying off as a top-10 TE pick are slim to none.

Antonio Gates was a UDFA.

Gronk and LaPorta were 2nd rounders.

The last / only(?) guy I can recall paying off as something close to a top-10 pick at the position is Tony Gonzalez, who went 13th overall.

Teams were falling over themselves to draft Kyle Pitts, he was a better prospect than Bowers, and he sucks in the NFL.

In addition to elite blocking (e.g. Gronk), as far as pass catching, it’s mostly about reliable hands, nuanced route running, football IQ and understanding where the soft spots are going to be in zone coverage:

Look at Gonzo and Antonio Gates in this regard, who were able to remain effective even into their mid-30s because of this.

Bowers isn’t going to be able to run over or run away from guys at the next level.

He seems like a good prospect but fool’s gold if you are talking top-10.

And the idea of drafting a “weapon” TE at #10 when you feature turnstiles at both LT and RT from the top down on your depth chart — and you don’t have a 2nd round pick (thanks to Woody’s obsession with Rodgers and JD’s lost negotiation) — feels downright absurd.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The Jets should absolutely not take a guy who has only played RT in college and over draft him to play LT in the NFL. This would be a disaster in the making.

Then the Jets should draft him and play him at right tackle for the next decade.  It's not like the Jets have a great right tackle right at the moment.  Warren can play left tackle, and the Jets in my opinion will be making a priority in free agency to sign a left tackle. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

No way.  It’s more likely we draft a QB in the middle rounds 

Just seems we've landed at a spot in the draft where it makes it a more realistic option because we're no longer going to get a starting LT and the top 2 WR's are likely off the board. We can over draft a RT which is still a need, take a very good TE prospect but they usually don't contribute much in year one and we're in a short Aaron Rodgers window. If you're going to take a prospect that isn't going to contribute much in year one maybe in a strong QB class if a top QB is there at 10 you just take them instead of reaching on a RT or taking that TE.

Looks like we're going to be looking at the top TE, a top RT, the next tier of WRs, a bunch of defensive players or a QB prospect at 10.

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

Then the Jets should draft him and play him at right tackle for the next decade.  It's not like the Jets have a great right tackle right at the moment.  Warren can play left tackle, and the Jets in my opinion will be making a priority in free agency to sign a left tackle. 

Good lord, I agree.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

Don't rule out Amarius Mimms (UGA).  He's going to be a successful right tackle in the NFL:  700 snaps at an elite program, against top flight competition:  0 QB hits and 0 QB sacks allowed.  He played a couple of games hurt this year.  There was also a notable drop-off in the UGA run game when he was out. 

Can we call him Mimmsy?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

QB is definitely on the table Rodgers or not. If QB is BPA you take him and hope he can sit for 2 years behind Rodgers

This staff is trying not to get fired.  They take a QB in round 1 and the first player they can take who can help in 2024 is a round 3 pick?

Not happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Looks like we're going to be looking at the top TE, a top RT, the next tier of WRs, a bunch of defensive players or a QB prospect at 10.

an elite RT is worth a top 10 pick look at Lane Johnson 

there are great picks to be made all over the round they just have to use their brains for once 

that means scouting well and making a brave pick even if it's not consensus

there's a real chance Mims, Fuaga, Kingsley S are better than Latham let's see if they have the guts to make a so called reach 

I never thought that the difference between 2024 Success and failure is picking at 7 vs 10 

especially when Alt and Olu could both be gone by 5 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This staff is trying not to get fired.  They take a QB in round 1 and the first player they can take who can help in 2024 is a round 3 pick?

Not happening.

Do you think there's any chance they trade up to land Alt or Fashanu? Aside from signing injury prone Tyron Smith who might not even hit free agency I am concerned there aren't many real options for a 2024 LT. Run it back w/Duane Brown or Mekhi Becton? Are we comfortable rolling with Carter Warren as our starting LT?

• Sympathy 1