Jets OL coach Keith Carter getting universally laughed at

During the regular season, players are limited to a total of fourteen padded practices, eleven of which must be held during the first eleven weeks of the regular season, and three of which must be held during the remaining six weeks of the regular season.

That's LESS than one padded practice a week. Someone explain how a player can be "broken down" when they're not even practicing in pads once a week.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That's a head scratcher. Magically got better? Have you completely wiped the the Falcons, Dolphins and Browns game with Semien under center from your memory?  They were bad and at best inconsistent all season. And they had a good game with Wilson under center vs the Texans. How do you explain that? Caveat to the ZW haters - this is not a defense of Wilson. I am just pointing out that you can not say the O line got magically better without ZW because reality says they had bad games without him and some okay games with him. So, don't blame ZW for the O line sucking, it's their own damned fault.

Sure, when Simien started the Oline was better. Becton sucked before Carter and will suck after Carter. He’s also an immature clown. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

During the regular season, players are limited to a total of fourteen padded practices, eleven of which must be held during the first eleven weeks of the regular season, and three of which must be held during the remaining six weeks of the regular season.

That's LESS than one padded practice a week. Someone explain how a player can be "broken down" when they're not even practicing in pads once a week.

Lewan was a chronic complainer and is probably disgruntled because he’s out of football.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That's a head scratcher. Magically got better? Have you completely wiped the the Falcons, Dolphins and Browns game with Semien under center from your memory?  They were bad and at best inconsistent all season. And they had a good game with Wilson under center vs the Texans. How do you explain that? Caveat to the ZW haters - this is not a defense of Wilson. I am just pointing out that you can not say the O line got magically better without ZW because reality says they had bad games without him and some okay games with him. So, don't blame ZW for the O line sucking, it's their own damned fault.

Exactly. This organization is a Qb killer. They haven't got a clue on how to develop a QB, protect a QB, and scheme to get the most out of skill position players.. it's very sad

• Upvote 4

Between the coaches and players, there are like 70+ people. Not everyone is gonna like everyone.

That said, can anyone explain what it is about carter that is so amazing that he must be retained? He just oversaw the worst oline in history. Every run was seemingly a 1 yard halfback dive cause they couldn't block sh*t. They couldn't execute a screen pass. They got Rodgers killed because they used a stupid cut block in the first game and then never used it again because it's stupid to ask a 40 year old unathletic LT to do that. His players universally hate him. What are carter's redeeming qualities? I genuinely want a list...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

I just get the sense they are trying way too hard with the oline. They're too focused on finding the correct "scheme fit" for their super duper outside zone. They wanna get 5 powerful dancing bears along the line and carter is gonna make them sing together harmoniously. It's just never gonna happen.

They need to simplify. Focus on just finding talented yet durable guys. Build a scheme that works around them. JD has talked himself out of good prospects because of "scheme". And for God sakes, find a guy that can communicate a simple scheme to the players, because carter ain't it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, SR24 said:

Granted I just turned 30 but this might be the worst regime I’ve witnessed in my entire life. Nothing makes any sense right now 

What we have isn't good but it's definitely not the worst, regardless of record.

Kotite was the worst as he was the coach and ran football operations. It was just a complete joke without trying.

Right now we are complete joke, while trying.

Macagnan Bowles was second worst.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Man we were really spoiled for years by having Bill Callahan as the OL coach. He is still doing a great job in Cleveland. 

Robert Saleh believes leadership begins and ends with saying nice things to make your players and staff so they feel better about themselves. He is a beta male masquerading as an alpha male with his unwillingness to hold people accountable. How you can bring back Carter after the outright disaster the line was last year is beyond me. I sincerely hope Aaron Rodgers starts making a stink about retaining Carter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Granted I just turned 30 but this might be the worst regime I’ve witnessed in my entire life. Nothing makes any sense right now 

There’s been worse, but the difference is with this crew is that they started from zero because Maccagnan was so bad for so long.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

What we have isn't good but it's definitely not the worst, regardless of record.

Kotite was the worst as he was the coach and ran football operations. It was just a complete joke without trying.

Right now we are complete joke, while trying.

Macagnan Bowles was second worst.

Maccagnan and Bowles produced a 10 win season. This current regime has not even had a winning season yet. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Maccagnan and Bowles produced a 10 win season. This current regime has not even had a winning season yet. 

Coincidentally that was with fitz who knew how to score.  You get a competent qb, you’re going to win games.  Even with simian I’d rather watch and had more faith than with wilson.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I just get the sense they are trying way too hard with the oline. They're too focused on finding the correct "scheme fit" for their super duper outside zone. They wanna get 5 powerful dancing bears along the line and carter is gonna make them sing together harmoniously. It's just never gonna happen.

They need to simplify. Focus on just finding talented yet durable guys. Build a scheme that works around them. JD has talked himself out of good prospects because of "scheme". And for God sakes, find a guy that can communicate a simple scheme to the players, because carter ain't it. 

I disagree here. I think good teams that win consistently adapt for sure, but they work within a specific scheme, scout pro + collegiate players who will fit that scheme and help advance it. Yes you should be able to adapt and tweak things to the talent that you have, but if you have a LT that is been at zone and a RT who is massive and not athletic, there isn't a scheme out there that will work to support that.

I think the biggest issue is the head coach wanted and identified a particular zone block scheme. He hired novices who didn't have the expertise to install it, fix it, adapt it as needed. He (Saleh) himself does not possess the required knowledge for installing this scheme or understanding what the trainer staff and positional coaches SHOULD be doing with the players.

If you are touted as a CEO coach you don't have to be an expert for every position and unit but you need to hire well and know enough to ensure the right things are getting done. He doesn't know what's right and hasn't hired well. To me, it's really that simple.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I disagree here. I think good teams that win consistently adapt for sure, but they work within a specific scheme, scout pro + collegiate players who will fit that scheme and help advance it. Yes you should be able to adapt and tweak things to the talent that you have, but if you have a LT that is been at zone and a RT who is massive and not athletic, there isn't a scheme out there that will work to support that.

I think the biggest issue is the head coach wanted and identified a particular zone block scheme. He hired novices who didn't have the expertise to install it, fix it, adapt it as needed. He (Saleh) himself does not possess the required knowledge for installing this scheme or understanding what the trainer staff and positional coaches SHOULD be doing with the players.

If you are touted as a CEO coach you don't have to be an expert for every position and unit but you need to hire well and know enough to ensure the right things are getting done. He doesn't know what's right and hasn't hired well. To me, it's really that simple.

It helps to have guys who are athletic.  Becton is a liability everywhere.  

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

That season was a good example of how, good players make the biggest difference on the field. That team....that year....with a real good head coach goes deep into the playoffs and wins that division.

That was a veteran team that played the last ounces of their prime. The next year it all crashed and burned. I think Bowles is a great DC who as a HEAD COACH can win some games with a proven veteran roster but that arrangement between him and Mac was a disaster. They weren't on the same page about anything. I think Mac traded for a CB once and Bowles found out from the media during a presser after practice.

As a regime and a whole...it was really bad, including the OCs Bowles hired post Gailey. I mean WOW....Morton, Bates....it was like hiring high school coaches.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It helps to have guys who are athletic.  Becton is a liability everywhere.  

I'm not a fan and I hope he's not on the team next year. Although, I fear that he will be....due to Douglas' double down on his draft pick mentality.

He sucks, weak for his size, complainer, injury-prone, and oh yeah he sucks...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Man we were really spoiled for years by having Bill Callahan as the OL coach. He is still doing a great job in Cleveland. 

Robert Saleh believes leadership begins and ends with saying nice things to make your players and staff so they feel better about themselves. He is a beta male masquerading as an alpha male with his unwillingness to hold people accountable. How you can bring back Carter after the outright disaster the line was last year is beyond me. I sincerely hope Aaron Rodgers starts making a stink about retaining Carter. 

This is kind of why i’m not expecting some miracle next year even if rodgers is healthy and producing. There is such organizational dysfunction in creating a functional offense. It’s amazing to me that they can have two bonafide superstars in breece and garrett and still manage to challenge record levels of offensive futility. 

• Upvote 3