Jerod Mayo new HC of NE

49 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Smart move. Every single coach from the Belichick coaching tree is putrid rotten decayed stink weed. Vrabel as an ex player by far the only one even remotely competent. 

I believe he's not really front the scumbag tree. Did he ever coach with him? I thought his coaching experience was pretty much all with Ohio State. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

While I’m glad they didn’t go with Vrabel, I’m not going to celebrate just yet. The word is that they have been super high on Mayo for a long time. 

I won’t be surprised at all if he ends up being considerably better than our guy. 

I'd be stunned if he doesn't end up being "considerably better than our guy".   But even a lot better than our guy could still be a very bad HC.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gen X Jet said:

Golden opportunity for the Jetsies to land Vrabel but we’re sticking it out with Steroid Pinocchio and his band of merry misfits. 

I didn't realize he was so close to Kraft and the Pats.  He probably wouldn't come here.  But we should ABSOLUTELY make the call and try to get him to come here.  I'd sh-tcan Salesman today if Vrabel would agree to come here.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, heymangold said:

glad he was the pick.  won't say its a bad hire cause who knows but mayo has never been a HC in his life, wasn't even a coordinator. 

I can't think of one defense-minded HC in this league that should be "feared" any longer.  Maybe Tomlin?  And even that franchise has dealt with rust and decay ever since Roethlisberger started to decline.

Defense-minded HC's are only as good as their QB/OC combo.  And they lose their OC's quickly to HC jobs when those combos find success.

This is a win for us, no matter how competent Mayo is.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can't think of one defense-minded HC in this league that should be "feared" any longer.  Maybe Tomlin?  And even that franchise has dealt with rust and decay ever since Roethlisberger started to decline.

Defense-minded HC's are only as good as their QB/OC combo.  And they lose their OC's quickly to HC jobs when those combos find success.

This is a win for us, no matter how competent Mayo is.

Vrabel is a defensive-minded HC, but this is generally true 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

WOW I was proven completely wrong with the collusion theories to get Vrabel. 

I wonder where Vrabel goes now? I'm not sure why we are still retaining our HC and not hiring him but who am I?

You are just like the rest of us...  beaten down, exhausted, desperate, lifelong Jets fans.   

Our brains are fried from the continual illogic of the NY Jets owner and his minions.

51 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Not entirely shocking even with Vrabel's availability.

When the Patriots saved Mayo from the Panthers last year, according to reports, it was reported to the NFL offices that he would be Belichick's replacement in 2025.  The Patriots implosion sped things up.  Obvious, "yeah buts" aside, this allows the Patriots to get around the Rooney rule.

I like the hire.  Mayo is well experienced with Belichick's defensive system as a player and coach.  He will put his spin on things obviously, but the defense should not need too much attention this draft.  I am curious to see what happens with the offense.  My swag is Billy O gets full reigns to build a staff.

How it turs out we shall see.

Welcome to the world of rookie head coaches.  You Pats fans have not experienced any such thing in over a quarter century.

We jets fans ,  on the other hand have seen ONLY rookie HCs since the departure of Bill Parcells (I won't include Adam Gase because, well just because).  Recall @SAR I's signature photo album of all the failed rookie HCs.

Of course, it will be Jets fans' bad luck if and when Mayo becomes a good HC.  But you Patriots fans are venturing into uncharted territory of the 'rookie HC'.   Hey... just look at all the rookie HCs who began off of the Belichick tree. They didn't fare so well, did they?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

I like the hire.  Mayo is well experienced with Belichick's defensive system as a player and coach.  He will put his spin on things obviously, but the defense should not need too much attention this draft.  I am curious to see what happens with the offense.  My swag is Billy O gets full reigns to build a staff.

How it turs out we shall see.

You and me both!  Instead of a rock solid guy like Mike Vrabel, you guys hired a first time HC with no experience as a coordinator, who probably thinks he can run BB's system because he was a player and coach in it.  That's really worked out well for others!  The "Patriot Way" baybee!!!!  

Music to my ears!

I'm starting to feel like Kraft is just as big of a moron as the rest of these guys.  He made a terrific hire in BB (20+ years ago) but now he thinks he knows what he's doing.  I think the Pats will struggle.  And I'm here for it!!!

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

How do we feel about that Jerod Mayo / Drake Maye combo next season. Terrified or what?

The Pats can get one of Caleb, Drake or Jayden.  Not thrilled about them getting any of those 3.  The other option would be MHJ, which would also stink (especially since our DC probably won't put Sauce on him) but there's only so much a WR can do.

Jerod Mayo though?  I'm not worried.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He may end up being good but I'm relieved they went with a first time coordinator rather than a proven HC in Vrabel. First time HC's have a high failure rate.

Would any proven guys want that job? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Would any proven guys want that job? 

Vrabel has always spoken very highly of the NEP organization even after he left. They have a pick that could land them a franchise QB in this draft. I assume he would have loved to coach where he won championships but maybe not?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Vrabel has always spoken very highly of the NEP organization even after he left. They have a pick that could land them a franchise QB in this draft. I assume he would have loved to coach where he won championships but maybe not?

Vrabel makes a ton of sense. I couldn’t see any of the other “proven” guys who are available jumping into that spot. Current team construction and division aside, coming in after bill is a challenge alone.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

This can't be true. Kraft is a self made genius billionaire who runs a top NFL organization and knows how to win. No way he would pass on Mike "Vince Lombardi" Vrabel!

I think the Pats blew it big-time.  I feel much better about that situation now.  Now they're just a regular team.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Do the Pats get a 3rd round pick for a minority hiring or since it’s in-house they don’t ?

Well, Goodell is always out to get the Patriots.  Probably not.    🤣

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You and me both!  Instead of a rock solid guy like Mike Vrabel, you guys hired a first time HC with no experience as a coordinator, who probably thinks he can run BB's system because he was a player and coach in it.  That's really worked out well for others!  The "Patriot Way" baybee!!!!  

Music to my ears!

That is a fair point.

Will Mayo be different?  TBD.

I think he will.  Will he succeed is another matter.  When a report came out last week that he was rubbing people the wrong way, he actually gave a real good self-reflecting answer.  I do not think he will try to be Bill.  I think this is Josh McDaniels and probably Patricia's biggest issue.

Hopefully, he will use the tenets learned as a player and coach under Bill, but be his own man like Vrabel is.