Could Woody change his mind now?

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Have to wonder if watching Jordan love succeed is going to make anyone there wonder if they should bring in a qb on day 2 and just have him sit there w/o all the pressure to start and succeed and save the franchise. 

Sitting a young QB has no benefit if your CS and organization doesn't have the 1st clue at how to develop him . Its not like some magic mind meld thing is going to happen with AR. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sitting a young QB has no benefit if your CS and organization doesn't have the 1st clue at how to develop him . Its not like some magic mind meld thing is going to happen with AR. 

True.  But i guess I’m also hoping that if douglas drafts a qb they also bring in at least one offensive coach who knows something about offense.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

True.  But i guess I’m also hoping that if douglas drafts a qb they also bring in at least one offensive coach who knows something about offense.  

Douglas is more likely to double down on his existing offensive staff, and hope that the only issue with Zach Wilson's development was Zach Wilson. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In order for this to happen, somebody would have to get in Woody’s ear and explain to him why keeping all of these losers around him is a bad idea, but there is no such person in Woody Johnson’s life. 

Woody is also a prick and thinks he’s always right.

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

We really aren't.

Bottom 5 O Line, 1 NFL caliber WR.  You can say injuries, but by the end of the year, that was your starting Left Tackle (now unsigned) and Starting Left Guard, with your high draft pick center starting.  

You forgot stud RB but you hit the rest. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

So I guess you both @oatmeal don't remember the NFL doing the exact same thing for the GINTS.... Oh wait is that NY also.

You’re close

Now think about the teams in the AFC at the time (mainly the pats), if the jets were in the NFC those chips would likely be ours.

AFC had multiple star QBs Jets had?

Money driven and QB driven 

6 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

I think there was a major failure this year to prepare with a decent backup QB. But this regime has overall done well turning over the roster. As bad as this year was, how does firing everyone and starting new help? We’re a decent Qb Away from being a really good team- and as much as I understand they failed on the backup QB front- there’s not much more that needs to significantly improve. We’ve attempted to address OL and just missed on some players. Restore the OL and get a viable backup- why blowup everything?

actually we are a good qb, 4/5 o-line revamp and at least another decent wr away from being a possibly pretty good team on paper

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Doubt they get extensions.  But regarding the OP, while i don’t think woody is going to get rid of these guys yet, i do think the one possible outcome that woody does change his mind about is being open to drafting another qb (but not in round 1).  

Yeah, I don’t see them drafting a QB until day 3 no matter what. On day 3 it’s as likely as not they do, after trading Zach, and he’ll be QB3 behind Rodgers and an upgraded veteran qb2 hopefully better than Siemian. 

Day 3 makes it less likely he’d get poached before demoting him to the PS at the end of the summer, but also without having to use a spot on the 53 (no teams like to use a spot on the 53 for 3rd QBs all season long if they don’t have to).

Plus there’s also less pressure or OMGs about him being a lowly 3rd on the depth chart all season (should Rodgers last that long); this parts not really a reason itself, so much as it’s just an added benefit.

No one thinks they’ll take a QB in round 1 for obvious reasons, and without a 2nd rounder it’s unlikely they take one in round 3 either. So the very earliest I see is round 4, seeing how they have two picks in that round so they still get another stab in that round. I think GMs do view things that way sometimes. Even as early as rd 4, it’ll depend who’s there at QB at that point and how much higher they may rank compared to non-QBs who’ve fallen. No one wants to miss on the next Nacua for an extreme QB project prospect whose statistically likely upside is developing into a QB2.

8 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As much as I think Woody has a large blind spot, there has to be a voice in his ear saying that the coaching landscape has changed wildly since he proclaimed this current regime safe 2 weeks ago. I have to think that phone calls will be made, very quietly at first to Harbaugh, Vrabel and possibly McCarthy if he goes. If I'm JD and Saleh, I would not be resting easy this week. 

They wouldn't get Vrabel or Harbaugh. Neither of them would come here. Not sure how McCarthy is an upgrade. The Jets defense would take a huge step back.

Run it back with the same difference and Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is the O\C.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, I don’t see them drafting a QB until day 3 no matter what. On day 3 it’s as likely as not they do, after trading Zach, and he’ll be QB3 behind Rodgers and an upgraded veteran qb2 hopefully better than Siemian. 

Day 3 makes it less likely he’d get poached before demoting him to the PS at the end of the summer, but also without having to use a spot on the 53 (no teams like to use a spot on the 53 for 3rd QBs all season long if they don’t have to).

Plus there’s also less pressure or OMGs about him being a lowly 3rd on the depth chart all season (should Rodgers last that long); this parts not really a reason itself, so much as it’s just an added benefit.

No one thinks they’ll take a QB in round 1 for obvious reasons, and without a 2nd rounder it’s unlikely they take one in round 3 either. So the very earliest I see is round 4, seeing how they have two picks in that round so they still get another stab in that round. I think GMs do view things that way sometimes. Even as early as rd 4, it’ll depend who’s there at QB at that point and how much higher they may rank compared to non-QBs who’ve fallen. No one wants to miss on the next Nacua for an extreme QB project prospect whose statistically likely upside is developing into a QB2.

I’m not convinced they don’t acquire another day 2 pick somehow.  And maybe day 2 is a good target for a qb, if someone like mccarthy falls out of round 1, but still he’s going to be coveted if he makes it there.  The more likely target is pratt from tulane, who should go in round 3, but i just don’t see them using a day 2 pick on a guy they don’t see as an immediate contributor (even though rodgers is going to get hurt and otherwise they’re paying a crappy veteran backup major money anyway).  I think they’re hoping to trade back in round 1 and get another day 2 pick, and then double dip on OL help, taking a tackle in round 1 and a quality guard in round 2.  That makes sense b/c it helps rodgers, breece and whoever the next gm is when he drafts a qb.  

11 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As much as I think Woody has a large blind spot, there has to be a voice in his ear saying that the coaching landscape has changed wildly since he proclaimed this current regime safe 2 weeks ago. I have to think that phone calls will be made, very quietly at first to Harbaugh, Vrabel and possibly McCarthy if he goes. If I'm JD and Saleh, I would not be resting easy this week. 

Woody does not spend on coaches. Winning is obviously NOT a priority.

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

There is one person - AAron

I believe Rodgers has become the poster boy for keeping bad coaches on this staff.  Is there anyone worse on this staff than his pal Hackett?  Rodgers has repeatedly told Woody how much he likes Salah.

I feel I am living in a nightmare and can't wake up from this horror show.

7 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Woody does not spend on coaches. Winning is obviously NOT a priority.

He doesn’t spend on coaches because no legit heavyweight head coaches want to come here.  He’s a toxic clown who meddles in personnel decisions 

As much as I think Mangini was overrated by jets fans Woody fired him 3 months after promising he was safe after the Favre trade.  Woody screwed over Rex by not signing any DBs in 2014 when he had over $30 million in cap room and then fired him. He fired Macagnan out of nowhere because Adam Gase talked him into it AFTER the draft.  
1252540D-4199-4BD0-8CD4-4E6C578877B8.jpeg.7ac6412f502a9548a3cd957e79999dab.jpeg

I'll say it again, for the 20th time, no respectable coach is stepping into this mess and taking their marching orders from that nut job narcissistic lonely weirdo QB who is running the team.  This bed is made and we're all going to have watch it play out because there is no other viable solution.  JD and Saleh answer to Rodgers and until that dude is off the team, nothing changes.

13 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m not convinced they don’t acquire another day 2 pick somehow.  And maybe day 2 is a good target for a qb, if someone like mccarthy falls out of round 1, but still he’s going to be coveted if he makes it there.  The more likely target is pratt from tulane, who should go in round 3, but i just don’t see them using a day 2 pick on a guy they don’t see as an immediate contributor (even though rodgers is going to get hurt and otherwise they’re paying a crappy veteran backup major money anyway).  I think they’re hoping to trade back in round 1 and get another day 2 pick, and then double dip on OL help, taking a tackle in round 1 and a quality guard in round 2.  That makes sense b/c it helps rodgers, breece and whoever the next gm is when he drafts a qb.  

The history doesn’t suggest there’s interest in starting two rookies on the OL, for as much as people mock 2-3 OL picks in a row.

More likely he wants a sure thing with a must-start-immediately OT and would trade up, not back, if given the option (if one of the top two guys is in striking distance). They used up the last mulligan when Rodgers got injured so early, and aren’t drafting for two years from now at the expense of today. The trade up cost to move up the max 2-3 slots needed should be a ‘24-4th and their ‘25-3rd, which still leaves them with a 4th this year and, if it nets the immediate and long term LT, a future 3rd to lock it in is worth it.

The extra pick he hopes to get is from Zach, it’ll be on day 3, and that’s where he’ll throw mud against the wall in hopes of netting a future starter or two to take over after other vets’ contracts expire (incl MC2 whom someone may pay (to start/play every snap) more than the Jets  an match for him to play NB).

1: LT at pick 7-8ish if needed

3: WR 

4: (trade with 2025-3rd to move up in rd 1j

4: G (not asked to start as a rookie, until injuries require it)

5+ (incl extra pick for Zach): LB, CB, QB, BPA

My guess is something like this.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The history doesn’t suggest there’s interest in starting two rookies on the OL, for as much as people mock 2-3 OL picks in a row.

More likely he wants a sure thing with a must-start-immediately OT and would trade up, not back, if given the option (if one of the top two guys is in striking distance). They used up the last mulligan when Rodgers got injured so early, and aren’t drafting for two years from now at the expense of today. The trade up cost to move up the max 2-3 slots needed should be a ‘24-4th and their ‘25-3rd, which still leaves them with a 4th this year and, if it nets the immediate and long term LT, a future 3rd to lock it in is worth it.

The extra pick he hopes to get is from Zach, it’ll be on day 3, and that’s where he’ll throw mud against the wall in hopes of netting a future starter or two to take over after other vets’ contracts expire (incl MC2 whom someone may pay (to start/play every snap) more than the Jets  an match for him to play NB).

1: LT at pick 7-8ish if needed

3: WR 

4: (trade with 2025-3rd to move up in rd 1j

4: G (not asked to start as a rookie, until injuries require it)

5+ (incl extra pick for Zach): LB, CB, QB, BPA

My guess is something like this.

I can’t see a trade up in round 1, simply b/c of lack of assets.  If they use 2025 draft capital for anything, IMO, it will be to move up on day 2 for a qb. The jets could beat some of these teams in the playoffs with competent qbs.  

5 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He doesn’t spend on coaches because no legit heavyweight head coaches want to come here.  He’s a toxic clown who meddles in personnel decisions 

As much as I think Mangini was overrated by jets fans Woody fired him 3 months after promising he was safe after the Favre trade.  Woody screwed over Rex by not signing any DBs in 2014 when he had over $30 million in cap room and then fired him. He fired Macagnan out of nowhere because Adam Gase talked him into it AFTER the draft.  
1252540D-4199-4BD0-8CD4-4E6C578877B8.jpeg.7ac6412f502a9548a3cd957e79999dab.jpeg

Fair points but I think that some coaches did want to come here. McCarthy for example and others would have come if Woody was willing to open his wallet and I mean seriously open and B give them control. As I said, I am of the opinion that Woody is NOT serious about winning. Winning is too big a commitment and expensive on the coaching side as well. Woody is about raising ticket prices, That's that

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I can’t see a trade up in round 1, simply b/c of lack of assets.  If they use 2025 draft capital for anything, IMO, it will be to move up on day 2 for a qb. The jets could beat some of these teams in the playoffs with competent qbs.  

Well we disagree on that. They're not heading into the draft with any ideas of trading up for a QB as their plan is to go with Rodgers for 2 more seasons, and will have no desire to trade UP to draft a guy with the outright goal of sitting him for 2 seasons. That's a fan wish, not this GM/FO's wish.

They're going with Rodgers, a veteran QB2, and it's not even a 100% certainty they're taking a QB at all in April. I think they will, but it's not any guarantee; from their standpoint, they may feel they can draft a QB of the future in 2025. Like, 60/40 or 2:1 likely they do. But I don't at all see them trading up to get one.

On the other hand, they are desperate for a tackle -- desperate enough to even consider re-signing Becton after giving up sacks & penalties like it was his intended outcome. Right now the only returning tackle "starter" is Warren, who didn't do enough to get the job handed to him next year.

A 4th this year and a 3rd or 4th next year (roughly what they should get back as a comp pick for Huff) isn't a season or franchise-changing move for the worse, especially when they have two 4th rounders this year plus another upcoming pick for Zach (whatever that ends up being; maybe it's a round higher pick to take the compensation a year later). On the other hand losing their QB for the year because he gets creamed from his blind side, and it's really hard to find a FA to adequately man the LT position.

Depends who they add in FA, though. As of right now we don't even know for sure who's going to be available.

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Fair points but I think that some coaches did want to come here. McCarthy for example and others would have come if Woody was willing to open his wallet and I mean seriously open and B give them control. As I said, I am of the opinion that Woody is NOT serious about winning. Winning is too big a commitment and expensive on the coaching side as well. Woody is about raising ticket prices, That's that

Yes McCarthy was interested but that’s because Aaron had just fired him and he was getting badmouthed all around the league by Aaron which is really an evil vindictive thing to do when u think about

Woody does want to win he just has no clue how to do it.  He’s calling all the shots - a guy I wouldn’t trust managing a lemonade stand

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TBJ said:

Woody's mind is now focused on if he should give them another chance after next years debacle.

Woody's mind is focused on "Should I have wore the blue suit with the white shirt or maybe the navy suit with the white shirt but navy makes me look too old so I think I will wear the blue"

do you ask yourself why so many great to good HCs are either fired or might be fired? 

and most are from really good organizations. why would they get rid of great HCs? did they get stupid all of a sudden? 

its the QB. it always is.

when you want to replace Saleh ask yourself who would have won more than 7 games with Zach, Boyle and Sieman?

BB??? please, he couldnt do anything with Mac

Siriani?? Hurts went backwards this year? going 1-6 at the end is a epic collapse. 

McCarthy has never not had a QB. he went from Rodgers to Dak. we already seen what BB has done without Brady.

Payton won 8 games with Russ.

none of these guys are as good as you think.

the only guy i would fire Salah for is Mike Tomlin. he has won the last 2 years with a QB who is just as bad as Zach. he could have won more than 7 with Zach. thats the guy, the only guy.

Carroll developed Russ but he is pretty old. he is 72. how much longer would he coach? 2-3 years?? 

and Harbaugh had a good run in SF but im weary of college coaches in the NFL. Matt Rhule. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban. none of then did good here and were quickly gone. i could see Harbaugh coming here then leaving in 2 years because some college offered him a ton more money. 

except for Tomlin i would keep Salah for one more year with Rodgers. i want to see Salah with a QB and a good/great defense. besides i bet most if not all of these guys if they get fired wont take a job this year. they all i think have another year on their contract so why not sit home a year and not cost your new team draft picks.