Woody Johnson Opens up on Frustrations With Jets Struggles

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I heard or read something recently that pretty much says it all. I forget the specific data but basically since 2000 out of the 60 or so QBs that have been drafted in the 1st round and started at least 20 games, Zach Wilson is basically ranked 50-something out of those 60.

I mean that's some pretty bad company.

Which is why sadly we saw a noticeable improvement when Simien took over.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Still, you can see the rationale behind signing Cook.  It’s not like they signed him long term or a real ton of money like Bell.  But it does underscore how old running backs should be run away from.

I could see the rationale in signing Cook if it was for $2-3 million per year.  What they paid was completely insane in today's market.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

he took 100 mil from Woody, got 6 of  his player friends and Hackett jobs they didn't deserve and he's got so much cap hit inbound he basically controls the roster

Aaron Rodgers is like that dude who built the  monorails in the Simpsons 

happy season 4 GIF

Woody is the Lyle Lanley in this scenario. Rodgers is Leonard Nimoy.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not that this is necessarily relevant but Baker Mayfield had the lowest QBR in the NFL last year and had a great comeback this year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/season/2022/seasontype/2

LowestQBR.thumb.png.b3668a408c8a191d2f116e39863bdb72.png

He’s gotta get himself released so he can have his pick of landing spots. It’s unlikely one of the better teams that’s benefit him are going to devote a roster spot and $5.5 million to him to be a developmental piece. If the Jets find a trade partner, it’s going to be some desperate team with extra cap space and an immediate need for a QB. 

• Upvote 2

If he doesn't play well elsewhere then I'll be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.  But I don't get why people are so convinced that it can't be the Jets' organization at fault in ZW's 3rd year.  We all know that our CS stinks, we have a terrible OL (that also had a ton of injuries), and we had a punt returner as our WR2.  I think people are ignoring all that because ZW actually did stink years 1 and 2.
I don't think he will ever get a chance to play elsewhere. He's got practice squad QB written all over him. Name me one team that would make him QB2 in the near future.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I wonder if the plan was that Boyle was the backup and Zach the redshirt QB3, and that was the QB budget, but then they realized that Boyle was actually worse than Zach, even if Zach will still not up to the job.  

There was never any indication that this was the plan. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He’s gotta get himself released so he can have his pick of landing spots. It’s unlikely one of the better teams that’s benefit him are going to devote a roster spot and $5.5 million to him to be a developmental piece. If the Jets find a trade partner, it’s going to be some desperate team with extra cap space and an immediate need for a QB. 

I honestly doubt whether he even cares about his career at this point in terms of an actual football POV.

Might just be on the lookout for another money grab.

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I honestly doubt whether he even cares about his career at this point in terms of an actual football POV.

Might just be on the lookout for another money grab.

That’s possible, imo. He’s got money and he has the face for TV. I could see him try to hang on for another season or two and then end up on the Big Sky Network or something

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC, he‘s the second worst top ten QB with 20+ starts after Blake Bortles

After Bortles?  How?  Bortles was 10x better player.

My favorite Zach stat is how he was the first QB in the SB era to finish last in QBR in back to back season.  Was battling Bryce Young for it again, before the dehydratcussion happened.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

All good points.  While I still think there will be multiple teams that would like a chance to develop him, he's in a pretty complicated situation right now, given that (as you point out) he's a developmental QB on the last year of his contract at a hefty salary.  

It's almost as complicated as the Jets' GM and HC situation, where we're very limited in things we can do (e.g. can't draft a QB, can't fire our HC, have to draft players that can start right away, etc) because we want the freedom to potentially make a clean break with our GM, HC and QB after next year.

Only the Jets - lol.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yet they did nothing in season to fix that. Paging Joe Douglas.

To be fair, there was not a lot to be done.  You don't get a lot of starting QB's sitting around at home in September.  And the Joshua Dobbs story was fun for a couple of weeks, until he got pulled to ride the pine.  

15 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:
If he doesn't play well elsewhere then I'll be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.  But I don't get why people are so convinced that it can't be the Jets' organization at fault in ZW's 3rd year.  We all know that our CS stinks, we have a terrible OL (that also had a ton of injuries), and we had a punt returner as our WR2.  I think people are ignoring all that because ZW actually did stink years 1 and 2.

I don't think he will ever get a chance to play elsewhere. He's got practice squad QB written all over him. Name me one team that would make him QB2 in the near future.

It's hard to predict but I do think there will be multiple teams intrigued by his talent.  He'll have to figure out his path from there. 

Who would've predicted Tampa Bay for Baker Mayfield after he was released a couple of times last year and was picked off the scrap heap by the Rams for a MNF start.  

It's hard to predict but I do think there will be multiple teams intrigued by his talent.  He'll have to figure out his path from there. 
Who would've predicted Tampa Bay for Baker Mayfield after he was released a couple of times last year and was picked off the scrap heap by the Rams for a MNF start.  
Baker is so much better than Wilson though. It's not even close.
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baker is so much better than Wilson though. It's not even close.

Baker was on the scrap heap in 2022 and was on the cusp of being out of the league entirely.  

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Baker was on the scrap heap in 2022 and was on the cusp of being out of the league entirely.  

the Jets could have signed Baker Mayfield instead of this whole rodgers thing and probably broken that playoff streak 

woody had to have Aaron for whatever reason and they bid against themselves.

no one wants Aaron Rodgers no one wants Zach Wilson the Jets lead the league in worthless QB assets

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets could have signed Baker Mayfield instead of this whole rodgers thing and probably broken that playoff streak 

no one wants Aaron Rodgers no one wants Zach Wilson the Jets lead the league in worthless QB assets

Agreed that signing Baker would've helped us avoid a lot of messes.  That's hindsight for me though.  I hated Baker and didn't want him anywhere near this franchise.  I remember Joe Benigno mentioned Baker as a possible QB1 for us going into this past year and I thought he was nuts for even suggesting it.  

• Upvote 1

Woody has been all in on almost every move Douglas and Saleh made now he is whining.

He is mad but he is walking everything back with his approval becasue Rodgers will fix every single thing.

When Rodgers does not fix ever single thing the blame will be placed elsewhere.

Poor owner but worse GM and coach.

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Woody is hitting Leon Hess “I’m gonna die soon” levels.

I LOL and spit out my coffee...very well done.  Also, Woody is a lying hypocrite because it was reported by RS that  they had daily, as in daily, conversations ... so FU you lying POS. BTW, you not as mad as us fans... you twit. 

• Upvote 3

I never believed the theory that Woody was impeding the FO and forcing Zach on them. Why would he do that and don't think he had any kind of special relationship with Zach's family. Where do people get this stuff from. Look Woody as most owners was consulted about the Jets first draft pick esp when it's overall 2. He met and was part of the ZW interview process. He was with other high picks like Sanchez. So since Woody part of the decision making process to select Zach he takes a lot of the blame. Without his ok they don't take Zach. So no surprise he's now throwing everyone under the bus for taking him including Zach. 

• Upvote 1

The comments in this thread are silly.  You can't in the same post say that Woody is the stupidest owner in sports while simultaneously saying his throwing shade on Zip ruins potential compensation.

Does anyone really think GM's and coaches just changed their opinion of Zap because Woody talked some ish?  Puhhlease..

Zap is going to fetch a 4th with an outside chance of a 3rd because a coach is going to love the tools and be convinced they can turn him into a player.  They may not be wrong.

In the meantime I like the tough talk Woody throwing out playoff mandates, saying he dressed down the front office, crapping on Wilson, and saying he is committed to getting offensive help all while wearing 3 lbs of bling.

Screw the haters Woodrow..  keep on talking your sht.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

The comments in this thread are silly.  You can't in the same post say that Woody is the stupidest owner in sports while simultaneously saying his throwing shade on Zip ruins potential compensation.

Does anyone really think GM's and coaches just changed their opinion of Zap because Woody talked some ish?  Puhhlease..

Zap is going to fetch a 4th with an outside chance of a 3rd because a coach is going to love the tools and be convinced they can turn him into a player.  They may not be wrong.

In the meantime I like the tough talk Woody throwing out playoff mandates, saying he dressed down the front office, crapping on Wilson, and saying he is committed to getting offensive help all while wearing 3 lbs of bling.

how are these two in conflict? 

"we have this asset. it sucks ass. would you like to give me something for it?"

No one cares about Woody's opinion but when trying to unload a player, the owner of the team saying he's garbage is at best.. unhelpful. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, SR24 said:

If woody is saying this I’d think the narrative about him not wanting to sign/pay /trade for a backup QB in season can be put to rest

Sure. Like he wouldn’t say that after the fact after having realized we actually had no backup QB 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Rodgers might have been out of the league had the Jets not made the trade for him. Not a single team other than the Jets even made a trade offer. We’d have all laughed if the Pats had made the trade that the Jets did. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are a haven for over the hill washed up free agents who get overpaid. Everybody knows the Jers are a sucker for this except…. The Jets 

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

Maybe you're right but I still don't see how it benefits our cause.  I guess my concern would be that it's revealing his cards and essentially saying "we think ZW is garbage"

Baker's worst year is better than Zach's best year. So if he was on the scrap heap then Zach is buried 10 feet below it.
  • Upvote 2

Baker is in a completely different league than ZW, lol!  At his worse, you were looking at a borderline starting caliber qb, but that would make him a top notch backup. 

At his best, you get the recent Tampa experience.  I mean there is a reason a lot of teams were interested in Baker throughout his NFL career, despite a rather prickly personality.   End of the day he at least can run an NFL offense.

Meanwhile, ZW is a bottom of the barrel backup at his very best and probably a qb3 in current terms.  In terms of developmental prospects, you are likely looking at years before he would scratch a starting position in a straight up competition.    He’s also in a terrible position with his contract.  Someone is probably dumb enough to give him a roster spot next year, but he is one bad training camp from being out of the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1