Justin Jefferson could be available via trade

We are desperate for OL. But this is Justin Jefferson. Quite possibly the greatest WR in the NFL, who likely has 5+ top years left and paired with Garrett Wilson, would be the top WR tandem in the league, for Aaron Rodgers to throw to AND Breece Hall? Sheesh 

Realizing #10 this year is not enough, it will require a tag and trade of Bryce Huff along with the 1st round pick, I would definitely do it. Still probably not enough but it’s worth a shot. 

We would have vet OL talent knocking down the doors to play with that offense, on team friendly contracts. 

Like it or not, we are in it to win it, THIS year. Drafting a young OT is not happening if something like this comes available. This is JD and Saleh’s last chance. We tried like hell to get Tyreek Hill. JJ is better and younger. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This is without a question a move the Jets should be in on. Young, elite, and he has the swagger for NY. Structure his guarantees where he’s cuttable as Garrett Wilson’s rookie deal comes up for extension 

Or don't pay Garrett Wilson. 

16 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

We are desperate for OL. But this is Justin Jefferson. Quite possibly the greatest WR in the NFL, who likely has 5+ top years left and paired with Garrett Wilson, would be the top WR tandem in the league, for Aaron Rodgers to throw to AND Breece Hall? Sheesh 

Realizing #10 this year is not enough, it will require a tag and trade of Bryce Huff along with the 1st round pick, I would definitely do it. Still probably not enough but it’s worth a shot. 

We would have vet OL talent knocking down the doors to play with that offense, on team friendly contracts. 

Like it or not, we are in it to win it, THIS year. Drafting a young OT is not happening if something like this comes available. This is JD and Saleh’s last chance. We tried like hell to get Tyreek Hill. JJ is better and younger. 

Tried to get Mike Evans and Davante as well. If JJ is actually available I’m sure JD will be all over it. 

Tried to get Mike Evans and Davante as well. If JJ is actually available I’m sure JD will be all over it. 

I think Jefferson; like tyreek will have the final say if all things are otherwise equal.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Its completely insane they didn't win the super bowl. Its the best team I've ever seen for one year

91 Washington team is up there along with the 98 Vikings

89 49ers

85 bears

But the 07 pats are the best I ever saw

Didn't Washington win it all in 1991-92?   Against your Buffalo Bills, no less. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/super-bowl/

51 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

why would they accept a tag and trade from Huff? that only gives them one year of control. 

if there getting rid of Jefferson then they are rebuilding. those teams dont want big contracts now, they want draft picks. and its at least going to cost two #1s. and a 2 or 3.

and were not in it to win it, they dont need a SB they just need to make the playoffs and maybe win a game for Saleh and JD to come back. no need to give up all the high picks to do that. we have a Jefferson, we dont need 2 to make a playoff game or 2. 

you can get a good WR for 15 mil, and draft that LT and thats better than giving up all that for this guy. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Or don't pay Garrett Wilson. 

there was a good article today in the Post about how JD had to be careful about what contracts he signs this year because the 2022 class has got to get paid soon.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't Washington win it all in 1991-92?   Against your Buffalo Bills, no less. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/super-bowl/

Yes. That is the most complete super bowl winner team I've ever seen for one year

Ppl often say that Dallas was the bills worst super bowl loss (52-17). And it was bad

But from an absolute beat down standpoint, at the line of scrimmage and just the eye test, that Washington team brutalized buffalo. It was kinda silly honestly.... 

I think that Washington team set a record for point differential against teams with winning records. They were basically an Alvin Harper hail Mary from going undefeated as their only other loss was the last game of the year when they rested everyone. 

How Wilber Marshall isn't in the Hof is a complete joke. He's one of the top 5-7 players I've ever seen and was like lightning

Mark Rypien was magical that year and of course they had the posse

The Vikings are thinking they can do a reverse Herschel Walker and don’t want to pay 1 player.  

From the Jets perspective I would give up 10 for him and pay him.  Get AR8 to give up a little and just mortgage the future.  Find FA OL.  

but we can’t give up more than 10. 

• Upvote 2

I'm usually against the pick for player swaps but how do you not at least consider this one?  Jefferson is legitimately a top-2 WR and is only 24.  He'll make a ton of money, sure, but he's the type of guy you spend that kind of money on.  He's got at least another 5 years of beyond-elite play in the tank.

With the cap rising, **** it.  Go fill your OT spots through FA with short term moves.  Bakhtiari at LT, even bringing back Becton at RT.  Keep trying to develop Warren and Mitchell.  If these next two years are "win-now", this is the route that makes the most sense IMO.  Keeping the pick and drafting an OT - while I'd be all for this - is definitely more about the future than the now.  

That said, if the cost is two #1's this needs to at least be a discussion.  That's a steep price, but one that's still worth considering.  24 year old superstar WR.  C'mon now.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Dude, he’s gonna cost at least 2x first round picks plus more picks plus an asset

So?

We’re blowing this sh*t up in a couple of years anyway.

2024 and 2025 is the Jets window. Then we’re back to square one and will most likely be scraping sh*t from the bottom of the QB barrel as we’ve always done.

Go for it

• Upvote 2

If we gave up the 2025 1 it is fine so long as the jets have a good season.  Would rather have Jefferson than a low 1 next year.  

if the year blows up and the Jets are picking high again in 2025, it would be a disaster. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, doitny said:

but we already have a Justin Jefferson. his name is Garett Wilson. and he is going to have to be paid by 2024 along with Hall, Sause and JJ. i dont think tying up 50 million dollars on 2 WR spot is wise. and before someone tells me that the cap goes up every year well so does the players salaries. what you would pay today for Jefferson it would be more a year from now.

1) it is 2024, Garrett, Sauce, Breece, & JJ can't actually negotiate until 2025

2) if those players sign extensions, you are looking at increased cap hits starting in 2027. Breece would likely get a bandaid contract that will average '25, '26, & '27 like the franchise tag.

I doubt this happens as well but if there is a shot that it happens, we'd be foolish not to do it. Those picks could just as easily land you Becton & Zach and that money could just as easily be Lazard, Lawson & Tomlinson.

Have to imagine he wants franchise QB money and that's why he's even be talked about as a trade candidate. So remember that if you think we should trade for him.

Dude is completely worth the 10th pick plus likely. But that would likely leave us very little money to address the OL.

13 hours ago, Jdeet said:

We would have vet OL talent knocking down the doors to play with that offense, on team friendly contracts

agree with all except this...no-one is taking team friendly deals to play with the Jets on turf and get bent over on taxes. 

Elite players like Jefferson rarely become available when they are young and in their prime, so if he's being shopped, the Jets, who are razor thin in their WR room, need to be all over this and do everything in their power to land him, even if it costs two #1's. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Elite players like Jefferson rarely become available when they are young and in their prime, so if he's being shopped, the Jets, who are razor thin in their WR room, need to be all over this and do everything in their power to land him, even if it costs two #1's. 

Elite WR seem get shopped quite a bit lately.  Diggs, Hill, Brown, DJ Moore, etc, etc. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I'm usually against the pick for player swaps but how do you not at least consider this one?  Jefferson is legitimately a top-2 WR and is only 24.  He'll make a ton of money, sure, but he's the type of guy you spend that kind of money on.  He's got at least another 5 years of beyond-elite play in the tank.

With the cap rising, **** it.  Go fill your OT spots through FA with short term moves.  Bakhtiari at LT, even bringing back Becton at RT.  Keep trying to develop Warren and Mitchell.  If these next two years are "win-now", this is the route that makes the most sense IMO.  Keeping the pick and drafting an OT - while I'd be all for this - is definitely more about the future than the now.  

That said, if the cost is two #1's this needs to at least be a discussion.  That's a steep price, but one that's still worth considering.  24 year old superstar WR.  C'mon now.

I'd do a pick swap, this years 1 for their 2 so we can get an olineman and then I'd throw in next years 1 which should be low if the trade turns out to be worth it. That would give them 2 1st rd picks, offset the fact that we have to give him a huge deal and give us a pick to help the team this year as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Elite WR seem get shopped quite a bit lately.  Diggs, Hill, Brown, DJ Moore, etc, etc. 

The Jets need to do their due diligence on every single all pro WR that might be dangled.  Rodgers isn't coming back from a brutal injury so he can give Jason Brownlee 120 targets.  The Jets are in dire need of a WR room upgrade.

On 2/25/2024 at 1:01 PM, Wit said:

I mean, I would rather send the next years first and a third. He’s not tyreek but he’s on that level.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Tyreek and Jefferson are 2 differnt players . Tyreek is an open space type of player he's not the type of guy who is going to go up and out muscle DB's to make the tough first down catches on the sideline, Jefferson is, and I think Jefferson is a much more well rounded WR over all . Jefferson is also a better blocker in the running game and those WR blocks are what springs the long runs for guys like Breece . If I had the choice I would take Jefferson 10 out of 10 times over Tyreek

1) As other have said - the report originated from a reporter with like 10k followers that no one knows. If this was real it'd be coming from a legit Minny beat writer or Schefter/Rap etc

2) IF the Vikings are trading JJ they are going into rebuilding mode. You don't bring back 35 year old just tore his achilles Kirk cousins for a reported ~$50mm aav contract and trade away your best offensive player. Following that logic - the reason they would look to trade JJ would be to secure a QB - to do that they would have to move into the top 3. Yes they could go after JJ McCarthy but that move would require them to move from 11 til like 5. They can do that by giving up 11 and 1 next year. Why lose JJ over this. 

3) IF HUGE IF he actually is available. Do whatever you can to get him. I'd trade 10 and Jermaine Johnson in a heartbeat. I'd trade 10 and next years 1. Yes - we absolutely need an OT - but the guy we select at 10 will probably be a bust ~35% of the time a regular level starter 35% of the time and a stud ~30% of the time. He could also eventually be a stud after his rookie year (see Andrew Thomas) which doesn't help our 1-2 year Rodgers window. So the odds of him being a great player year 1 is probably less than 20%. 

4) Nothing we do right now will impact our ability to pay guys like Garrett Wilson, Sauce, JJ, Hall. Those guys are all under control until 2026. When they pay them they will likely push a bunch of money into the future. If we signed Justin Jefferson we'd likely structure it similar to how the Eagles structured Hurts contract. 

Hurts - 5 years $255mm - or $51mm per year

Year 1 (2024): $12mm cap hit 

Year 2: $21mm cap hit 

Year 3: $31mm cap hit 

Year 4: $45mm cap hit

Year 5 (2028): $51mm cap hit

They can cut him after four years and take a $24mm dead cap. There are like 7 years of void years where they spread out option payments which is why the above doesn't equal $255m. 

Applying the same structure to Jefferson - he gets $15mm next year - and then you add 5 years $30mm. Total contract would be 6 years - 165mm. So we adjust Hurts by the same %

Year 1(2024) - $7.7mm cap hit 

Year 2 - $13.5mm cap hit 

Year 3 - $20mm cap hit 

Year 4 - $29mm cap hit 

Year 5 - $33mm cap hit 

We can get out in year four for ~$15.5mm of dead cap. 

You can structure Sauce/Garrett/Jermaine the same way. Its how every team does it now a days. We can absolutely afford to pay our guys when necessary. Likely you trade Justin Jefferson in year 3 or something when he is 27 years old and can probably recoup a 1. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

I'd do a pick swap, this years 1 for their 2 so we can get an olineman and then I'd throw in next years 1 which should be low if the trade turns out to be worth it. That would give them 2 1st rd picks, offset the fact that we have to give him a huge deal and give us a pick to help the team this year as well. 

I think at best we'd probably get a 3rd back.  Even then I'd rather just give them 10 and next year's 2nd, instead of two 1sts with a 2nd coming back.  We need to hang onto that 2025 pick.  Whether we trade for JJ or not, we WILL need to draft a QB next year.  We can take a lottery swing on a kid in the 4th this year but chances are it'll still be a need next season.  I'd rather we still have our 1st to fill that need.  

I know all the "all-in" talk but I think we can be "all-in" without completely disregarding the future state of this team.  

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think at best we'd probably get a 3rd back.  Even then I'd rather just give them 10 and next year's 2nd, instead of two 1sts with a 2nd coming back.  We need to hang onto that 2025 pick.  Whether we trade for JJ or not, we WILL need to draft a QB next year.  We can take a lottery swing on a kid in the 4th this year but chances are it'll still be a need next season.  I'd rather we still have our 1st to fill that need.  

I know all the "all-in" talk but I think we can be "all-in" without completely disregarding the future state of this team.  

we need lineman so a 3rd is not going to get us a starter and we have some of the same issues as last year. Unless we hit on someone in free agency then we need a 2nd....now that doesnt mean we will get it, just my opinion on what we will need at a minimum. I dont think they are at all in the slightest worries about a qb next year. They need oline, a starting wr and a backup. 

They dont give 2 shtts about a rookie qb this year, if they dont get the other things they wont be here to ever see the kid play.