*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

Just now, Matt39 said:

Except they didn’t trade Huff. Once that happens it’s franchise tag. That’s what the tag is for. 

The expectations were to be contenders in 2023. Instead of getting the return, they ran it back and kept him on the roster. Unfortunately, things didnt work out and the team fell apart and zach had to play QB. Mcdonald is pretty similar player....questionable with run defense but has the potential to do similar things as huff. Gotta get over the huff loss, it was obvious it was happening. If the jets wanted to keep him, they'd have signed him prior to the start of free agency. 

2 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The expectations were to be contenders in 2023. Instead of getting the return, they ran it back and kept him on the roster. Unfortunately, things didnt work out and the team fell apart and zach had to play QB. Mcdonald is pretty similar player....questionable with run defense but has the potential to do similar things as huff. Gotta get over the huff loss, it was obvious it was happening. If the jets wanted to keep him, they'd have signed him prior to the start of free agency. 

McDonald is similar to Huff? Other than position, in what way? Certainly not production.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

With  a career high of 3.5 sacks?  Those guys had pedigree and way more sacks.  At the trade deadline Bryce Huff had 11.career sacks in 44 games.  Montez Sweat had 35.5 in 67 games and Chase Young had 14 in 32 games.   

He just got big bank, he was well thought of before even last year.   He had 5 sacks by game 8 last year.  A 2nd?  Maybe maybe not but he would have gotten a reasonable return as in a 3 and something else at least.

• Upvote 1

A thought

OT & WR market still quiet and now seeing a lot of 1 yr deals being announced. Draft is deep with OT & WRs. Are teams playing hard ball with those two positions?  Maybe these FAs have to sign 1-2 yr deals? 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

With  a career high of 3.5 sacks?  Those guys had pedigree and way more sacks.  At the trade deadline Bryce Huff had 11.career sacks in 44 games.  Montez Sweat had 35.5 in 67 games and Chase Young had 14 in 32 games.   

The Jets record was 4-3 at the trade deadline. They were not going to trade their talent away at that point in the mistaken belief they were playoff contenders. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

McDonald is similar to Huff? Other than position, in what way? Certainly not production.

Both 6 3', Mcdonald was listed as 240 pounds his rookie year. Huff at 255 in year 4. I'd imagine mcdonald will be putting on some weight in year 2 and 3. Both a little undersized. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets record was 4-3 at the trade deadline. They were not going to trade their talent away at that point in the mistaken belief they were playoff contenders. 

Yet they’re letting him walk for nothing in the offseason? If he was too talented to trade then, why let him walk in another must win season with the QB coming back? To sign a guard? This is exactly what the franchise tag is for. No ones providing a valid reason for letting him leave. Unless the plan is to trade Rodgers and start over.

• WTF? 2

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Please let us know how many sacks per season Huff had prior to ‘23 season. I’ll wait. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Hard to say, people had a bad first impression of JJ. Year 2 made people forget. Saleh and ulbirch appear to be completely fine easing these guys in and keeping the snap counts low to start their careers. Mcdonald, feel like I'm sticking up for him quite a bit here, but for a team desperate to win games, I cant imagine this team letting huff walk if they didn't believe they had a guy that could take his place. For a lot of people, its like he doesn't exist.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, extmenace said:

Hard to say, people had a bad first impression of JJ. Year 2 made people forget. Saleh and ulbirch appear to be completely fine easing these guys in and keeping the snap counts low to start their careers. Mcdonald, feel like I'm sticking up for him quite a bit here, but for a team desperate to win games, I cant imagine this team letting huff walk if they didn't believe they had a guy that could take his place.

Well, It’s done now, nothing we say will change anything. As far as MacDonald goes, I guess we’ll find out soon, right? 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Yet they’re letting him walk for nothing in the offseason? If he was too talented to trade then, why let him walk in another must win season with the QB coming back? To sign a guard?

I’m with you, I thought the Jets could have done more to keep him rather than let him walk. He was an undrafted FA that the Jets helped to develop into a an effective pass rusher. The Jets should have taken pride in a homegrown talent rather than letting him walk. Unfortunately I’ve seen this too much through the years with this franchise. Hugh Douglas, James Farrior and John Abraham to name a few.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Please let me know how many snaps McDonald got last season? I’ll wait also.

I’ll help you out 

Huff

2020    2

2021     2

2022    3.5

McDonald 

2023   3.0

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You don't get the cap relief from a June 1st cut til,  wait for it,  June 1st. But the player is free to sign somewhere wise immediately. So it makes zero sense to cut him. 

I didn't have breakfast or lunch today

Joe Douglas plans to sign 3 starting linemen a week from now.

Either that or somehow convert the #10 overall pick into 3 immediate starting rookie OL.

What the plan exactly? 

Is there a plan?

Minshew gone too.

Still working the phones trying to manufacture a market for ZW?

Everybody is concerned about Huff, but ehh...

Currently, our offensive line consists of exactly one guard and one center.

So yea, I wanted some urgency in addressing that.

Getting nervous that the ghost of Christmas past is gonna gift us the triumphant return of George Fant and Laken Tomlinson.

It's not always the worst thing to not start out with a bang but Douglas has to come thorough with enough on the oline so we do not have to draft one at 10.  I'm sure we will do so anyway but we need functional starters and not pure hope and wishers (like the green Bay LT)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I’ll help you out 

Huff

2020    2

2021     2

2022    3.5

McDonald 

2023   3.0

McDonald looked good in the limited opportunities he had last season. I just hate seeing homegrown talent like Huff walk.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Joe Douglas plans to sign 3 starting linemen a week from now.

Either that or somehow convert the #10 overall pick into 3 immediate starting rookie OL.

What the plan exactly? 

Is there a plan?

Minshew gone too.

Still working the phones trying to manufacture a market for ZW?

Minshew was never signing with us, with the opportunity to compete for a starting job in Vegas. No OT signed today was worth anything. All of the big guys still out there. No WR we would have wanted, signed anywhere. 

But Jets fans be Jets fans. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

McDonald looked good in the limited opportunities he had last season. I just hate seeing homegrown talent like Huff walk. I guess in a capped sport like the NFL it happens.

It happens to bad teams who do not manage the cap well on a consistent basis year to year. Without horrible dead cap revamped deals for the likes of Carl Lawson, CJ Mosley still being on this team, and Allen Lazard....you could easily have Huff back.

But honestly....at the price tag that Philly gave him, Huff ain't worth that man. What we should have done was traded him before the trade deadline.

Onwenu back with NE

Potential colossal disaster here brewing for JD... 

By trying to be smart and wait for the right deal/price -- he may find himself with only 1-2 options left, at all, on the Oline. They can ask for whatever they want, everyone else is off the market. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1